WWE hints at King of the Ring return

S

sKKKiddmarXXX

WWE.com said:
Plus, with SmackDown’s former resident majesty, King Booker, out of the picture, any one of these young, voracious Superstars could find a royal opportunity on Friday nights, should the King of the Ring tournament make an imperial return.

This was out of the Smackdown Draft Review article on wwe.com

Do you guys see this actually happening? Hopefully it does because the Smackdown feuds are rather boring. I just read the spoilers and there's only 1 match that seems like it's going to be decent. It also seems to hint that if it does return, that it will be Smackdown exclusive.

It may as well. The PPV's are tri brand again so I think they should bring it back. They should get rid of One Night Stand. Now it's just a pointless PPV. But a KOTR would be good. They could have it how they did in 1993. Mostly KOTR match's and maybe two non tournament match's. It would certainly elevate some stars. They could have wrestlers who have never been champs enter, with the winner recieving a shot at Summer Slam.

That could work, bring it back right after vengeance and that could be the gimmick for the next pay-per-view (GAB if I'm not mistaken?), since they're going with a lot of gimmick PPVs.

How about this for a twist? Make it tri-branded and have the finals be a triple thread match. That would be different wouldn't you think?

CM Punk vs. Randy Orton vs. Matt Hardy in the finals.

That would be what I would do anyway. Why not? With the draft the feuds have been all messed up and set to zero pretty much, and it would be a good set up for Hardy to get vaulted into the main event vs. Edge.

It would make the most sense as the last few years the GAB has been one of the worst PPV's in buyrate so having a KOTR tournment would draw interest.

what I love to see happen is that each brand has quailifying matches and then a round on their respective brand. Then at the GAB have the finals for each brand take place. Thus you have a triple threat KOTR final match between all three brand winners. Be great IMO as you have four matches for the KOTR and give certain guys a chance.

Then have the winner face their respective brands champion at Summerslam.

I don't believe that ECW has enough top guys for that to work. They could do two or three credible matches tops. Guys like Kevin Thorn really look like they don't stand a chance. I actually disagree with what Jake said, when he stated that it should be anyone who hasn't won the World Title. Wouldn't that sort of cut the star power off? By a lot? Sure, you'd have Umaga, Punk, Kennedy, Burke, Khali, but I still doubt they'd do that. I think they might do a KOTR for GAB but I feel as if that would rush it.

Unlike the rest of WWE's PPV's, they really need to build it up this year for it to seem prestigious. I can see a guy like Kennedy or Umaga winning it, but I doubt they'd take on the 'King' gimmick that Booker has. I like the format of giving SD KOTR though as Smackdown gets snubbed out of the Main Event at WrestleMania, and they lost most of their top stars already.

I would absolutely love it if they would give this tournament a proper build and put it on a PPV. Last years attempt at a KOTR was just sad. It didn't mean anything at all---did anybody care that Booker got the win? Not really, it just gave us the King gimmick.

If they'd put the tournament's last few rounds back onto a PPV, doesn't even have to be called King of the Ring (Great American Bash or Summerslam would work) but if they did that it would mean so much more. It's really not a lot to ask of you WWE. Anyways, I see a Lashley KOTR win, and that is already pissing me off royally (ha ha, get it?).

Anybody else sensing a Lashley KOTR win? It would help to elevate him for a run at Cena's title since the ECW title means jack shit in the company. The smart choice would be CM Punk, but they won't do that. Yay! All hail the 2007 King of the Ring----Bobby Lashley! Yay!

I honestly think it's Matt's year to win it. Kennedy doesn't need it, he's already over and he's winning the Rumble and getting his shot at WrestleMania.

Punk doesn't need it either, I think he'll be the ECW champ by the end of the summer.

Hardy's jsut about ready to jump to the next level, but he needs to be shoved into it, and winning KOTR would do that. The only issue I would see is that he would probably job to Edge after winning it, which doesn't really ruin the concept but it doesn't help Matt out either.

CM Punk might be a logical choice considering this.

Umaga will be in the finals I've decided, but he doesn't need to win it either unless you actually put the title on him (which i've decided I don't really mind).

I would absolutely love it if they would give this tournament a proper build and put it on a PPV. Last years attempt at a KOTR was just sad. It didn't mean anything at all---did anybody care that Booker got the win? Not really, it just gave us the King gimmick.

If they'd put the tournament's last few rounds back onto a PPV, doesn't even have to be called King of the Ring (Great American Bash or Summerslam would work) but if they did that it would mean so much more. It's really not a lot to ask of you WWE. Anyways, I see a Lashley KOTR win, and that is already pissing me off royally (ha ha, get it?).

Anybody else sensing a Lashley KOTR win? It would help to elevate him for a run at Cena's title since the ECW title means jack shit in the company. The smart choice would be CM Punk, but they won't do that. Yay! All hail the 2007 King of the Ring----Bobby Lashley! Yay!

I wouldn't mind Lashley winning it either if it meant him actually taking the title off Cena, but he's royally over (ZING!) already so I don't think it's necessary. personally I think Lashley goes through 3 or 4 good feuds to build up his wrestling skills before going after the Raw title. Another program with Booker, a program with Orton, maybe something with Kennedy when he comes back and by Survivor Series or the Rumble he gets a title shot.

I could also see WWE pulling a King Mable and having Henry win the whole thing... eugh...

I actually love the King of the Ring, but it has to be the version of 8 tournament matches on one card. It's completely unpredictable that way in some of the matches you would see.

This way, you could devote the Bash entirely to this, allowing more time for the main event feuds to sit and brew for summerslam, or, have a quick gimme main event for a guy that usually wouldn't be in one, like the Royal Rumble title matches.

Not that I would want to see this, but here would be my field.
Raw: Jeff Hardy, Bobby Lashley, Randy Orton
Smackdown: Matt Hardy, Dykstra, Masters
ECW: CM Punk and Elijah Burke

I really think it becomes a three horse race out of that bunch there between Matt Hardy, Orton and CM Punk. The only question mark would be Punk, because I think there is a slight change he's walking away with gold on Sunday. This leaves the obvious choice of Matt Hardy to win. It set up him and Edge at Summerslam. Orton is going to be too busy with Triple H.

See I can actually say something positive about the Hardys, Matt Hardy for 2007 King of the Ring.

I can't see why they wouldn't make it tri-branded and on Raw every week. It did not work with only SmackDown, even when they had more talent in the tournament than they do now. It's something that will liven up a PPV and it's something I look forward to seeing happen. There are a lot of midcard guys going around that could use this tournament to add to their resume. Guys like Kennedy, MVP, Punk and Burke look like guys that would win it and give them the boost they need, which is what the King of the Ring has been so good at doing over the years.

If the tournament were to be held on SmackDown as a SD-only thing, I wouldn't be surprised. The focus is so much on Raw that SD doesn't get to have things like this focused on their show and they deserve to. I can't see a lot of talent that could be used from just their brand, so maybe an amalgamation in the tournament between ECW and SD would be useful, but as the poll suggests, we could be getting a SD-only KOTR, but I doubt it. But I do know that there are a hell of a lot of guys that could use this to boost their careers, and I want to see them bring it back soon. Hell, it got Booker a World Title, and could do the same for other guys.

I would really love to see it as a ECW vs Smackdown thing, it would definitly bring some of the up-and comers to the top of the mid-card and make some of them seem like proper contenders... before you mock think of the matchs they could have.

Elijah Burke vs Chris Masters

Kevin Thorn vs Mark Henry

Matt Striker vs Matt Hardy

Marcus Corvon vs Kenny Dykstra

Tommy Dreamer vs The Great Kahli

CM Punk vs Hardcore Holly

The Miz vs Finlay

Visera vs Kane

And in a awesome twist i wana see The Miz win it. Think about "King Miz of Cool". It worked for Edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back