• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE has a very good cruiserweight division waiting to happen!

Wainy

Occasional Pre-Show
This is my first thread so be gentle!

I know there's been similar threads in the past, but just look at the situation right now...
For years now, I've always wanted WWE to really push a cruiser/light-heavyweight division, but it always involved the idea of bringing in talent from elsewhere. But looking at the current talent roster now & Vince's "willingness" to bring in smaller superstars, how about this for a division?

Carlito
Evan Borne
John Morrison
Primo
R-Truth
Santino
Tyson Kidd
Yoshi Tatsu
Zack Ryder
Chavo
Christian
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Hornswoggle!!!
JTG
Kofi Kingston
Matt Hardy
Rey Mysterio
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Dos Caras

Obviously, they don't all have to be involved at once, people like Morrison, Kofi, Mysterio & Punk are all involved in Main Event storylines, but if they were to ever hold the title, it would give it some much needed prestige.

So what do you think? Could WWE finally have a cruiserweight division that people (both fans & the company itself) would actually care about?

I'd say that highlights how good WCW's Cruiserweight division was in the 90's and how it'll never be replicated. I don't see anybody there other than part time headliners like CM Punk & Rey Mysterio who'd ever be able to match the quality of matches that Dean Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, Eddie Guerrero etc used to put out.

I look at that list and I see them more closesly resembling anonymous Latino World Order members. Not because of their ability, Damian 666 shits all over htem, but in impact and memorability.

I shouldn't even comment on this considering you put Hornswaggle on the list. All I'm going to say is most of those people are wrapped up in other things. The Colons JUST teamed back up, Santino is FINALLY in a ''storyline'' with some one besides the guest hosts, Tyson Kidd is going to be in the Hart Dynasty until he leaves WWE, I think Chavito is dead...haven't seen him in months, CM Punk has Mysterio to worry about AND his stable, Kofi is concerned with the IC title fiasco, Fatt Hardy is ''hurt'', Mysterio is concerned with the SES, and who the fuck is Justin Gabriel and Dos Caras???

Not to mention that you listed a clusterfuck of people from both brands. IF they made a light heavyweight/cruiserweight title it would have to be cross branded, and VKM won't do that

there's another problem with some of the names suggested by the original poster of this thread...
for example, if Rey Mysterio was done with the angle against the Straight Edge Society and started competing for this Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight Championship, it could be really awesome. then again, if he started competing in this division again, would anyone ever take him seriously again as a legit threat to the World Heavyweight Title? probably not.

several of the people listed above are former champs in this division. i get that. so were Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit (RIP) and Chris Jericho. that doesn't mean that i think either of those three men (the other two if they were still alive) should be fighting in that division today. neither should Jeff or Matt Hardy, Rey Mysterio or Christian. those guys need to be in the mid-card scene, if not the main event scene.

Carlito and Primo are out as they're a Tag Team again. Tyson Kidd is out for the same reason.
it would be a step backwards for Morrison, Truth and Kingston as they are legit (or should be) contenders to the mid-card and world titles.

Hornswoggle is out because he's Hornswoggle.

maybe if you could get the following names on the same show, you could start a division like this and hope for some luck. i would certainly be okay with the effort.

Evan Borne, Santino, Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Chavo, Dolph Ziggler, JTG, Justin Gabriel and Dos Caras. maybe even try to bring back some of the more original guys from this division from Japan: Taka, Funaki and Tajiri.

Wow didnt know WWE had this many good cruiserweights but you do have alot of mat wrestlers in there like Daniel Bryan, Matt Hardy etc there are still alot missing guys like a Billy Kidman or a Kid Kash the cruiserweight title should NOT come back at the moment, until they sign more wrestlers that fit the pure cruiserweight divison wrestling style to make the divison worth watching every week. Kidman and Kash where great cruiserweights along with Gregory Helms and Paul London and Mexicools and the list could go on and on, The year 2005 really re invented the cruiserweight divison they had great matches and actually made me looking forward to watching Smackdown

No the cruiserweight division should never be brought back. The WWE never had any idea how to book the division. The light heavy weight division was pretty much non-existent, the cruiserweight division died within 2 years of being in the WWE. Simple fact the WWE doesn't care about the cruiserweight division and would rather have their cruiserweights battling over their mid card, tag team and occasionally world titles.

This is a great idea.I have been thinking about this for almost a year.They could make the title cross branded and it could be like a world title for the cruiserweights back in wcw guys like jericho benoit malenko and many others treated it like they were main eventers and goin after the world title and thats how it should be now.The x division makes me love tna and the cruiserweight division could make wwe better.But you can forget about hornswoggle why is he even on the roster anymore?

If the cruiserweight title was to come back, it wouldn't have gone in the first place...most of the ones named are all involved in somethng at the moment, plus it would mean they have to create more story's and feuds, wwe don't want this...

wwe did a terrible job of booking the cruiserweight division and they wouldn't do any better now....

so yes, they have a lot of cruiserweights, but wwe would rather have them do other jobs..

Great idea, but I only have one question.

Does Dolph Ziggler count as a cruiserweight? I know he's not that big... but then again he's not that small. Same as Carlito.

I always thought of the cruiserweights as the lower-mid card. The cruiserweights that actually mattered were feuding for IC/US titles, and occasionally the World titles. So that would cancel out Rey, Punk, Kofi, Morrison, Truth, and Christian.

Personally, I would have LOVED to see WWE NXT NOT be some sort of "reality wrestling show", but be sort of a WWE "AAA" farm system. A between FCW, and WWE. There would be a title, and call it the NXT Championship, OR The Junior Heavyweight Title. THIS is where I would have my true cruisers THRIVE. People like Evan Bourne, Zack Ryder (who I haven't heard anyone mention), Daniel Bryan, and a host of others I KNOW are out there. Motorcity Machine Gun type wrestlers. Bulk up THIS show's roster, with fast and acrobatic talent, and then hit us with an NXT Tag-Team, OR Junior Tag-Team title. Sure, these wrestlers CAN AND WILL make appearances on the two main shows, but have them stay TRUE to THEIR BRAND.......The NXT, build them up to the point one by one where if or when they do go up to one of the main two shows permanantly, that they are way over, and legit competitors, and contenders. My idea is a little rough around the edges, but how many of us out here would ENJOY SEEING A SHOW THAT ACUTALLY CONSISTED OF..........High Flying, Fast Paced, NONSTOP ACTION!?!?!?!

This is my first thread so be gentle!

how about this for a division?

Carlito
Evan Borne
John Morrison
Primo
R-Truth
Santino
Tyson Kidd
Yoshi Tatsu
Zack Ryder
Chavo
Christian
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Hornswoggle!!!
JTG
Kofi Kingston
Matt Hardy
Rey Mysterio
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Dos Caras

Obviously, they don't all have to be involved at once, people like Morrison, Kofi, Mysterio & Punk are all involved in Main Event storylines, but if they were to ever hold the title, it would give it some much needed prestige.

So what do you think? Could WWE finally have a cruiserweight division that people (both fans & the company itself) would actually care about?

Great idea, but Hardy wouldn't make it, as would a few others. Also, Bryan is gone from NXT. But I think that they could totally make the cruiserweight division work and maybe even make 2 titles. A World Cruiserweight Champion and a Intercontinetal or US Cruiserweight Champion.

I have always been a fan of cruiser weights, and would like to see it come back. However I know it wouldn't work in the WWE for many reasons. They never really took it seriously there were a few occasions were it looked liked they were going to push the division then they dropped the ball.

Also they do have some great cruiser weights, but I don't think they have enough to carry the division. Most of the guys listed in OP are way past that point in their careers. It would be more of a demotion for guys like Rey, Christian, Punk, Hardy,and Kofi.

I just hope TNA keeps up with the X-Division because lately it has gone down hill. I think TNA is the only hope for us cruiser weight fans.

The majority of those guys aren't even actual cruiserweights. Hardy mentioned in the past that he was a pseudo cruiserweight when he held the title.

I do love the idea of making NXT a cruiserweight-ish type show. It wouldn't have to compete with the 2 main brands and would be a distinct wrestling show all on it's own. I really think it'd do well if marketed as ACTION PACKED! You can still use the smaller guys on RAW and Smackdown as chum for the big fish.

Carlito
John Morrison
Primo
R-Truth
Santino
Yoshi Tatsu
Christian
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Hornswoggle!!!
JTG
Kofi Kingston
Matt Hardy

All of these would automatically be eliminated from the cruiserweight contendership due to overweight, some of them are just on the verge I know, but either we'd have to change the weight-class of it with a raise of 10 kilo's (if we want Matt Hardy in it) or to have each and every one of those people loose weight.

The remaining people you mentioned could in theory do it, but it would be a very empty division, and while the matches might be good, it's gonna end up boring eventually due to the same people facing each other.
Besides I feel that WWE retired the belt for a reason, and it has stayed retired for a reason as well I believe.

Although I have to admit, should the belt return, I'd welcome it with open arms, but for now, I don't see it doing anything but gather dust.

YES! WWE has some really good cruiserweights that arent really doing much. If they were gonna have a cruiserweight division on both shows there can be tow cruiserweight titles, the cruserwight championship adn the lightheavyweight championship, each on separate brands, like all the other titles.

Morrison, Kofi, Mysterio and Punk are NOT involved in Main Event storylines at the moment, so I don't know what year in the future you are watching WWE.

Besides, if all the people you mentioned were involved with the cruiserweight title scene that you dream of, it would sum up most of the WWE roster who aren't in the main event scene or are too big to be seen as a cruiserweight contender -- funny that you mention Dos Caras since he's a tall dude. I don't think you have a good grasp at what a cruiserweight really is 'cause you're just throwing in mid-card guys into this division.

Carlito
Evan Borne
John Morrison
Primo
R-Truth
Santino
Tyson Kidd
Yoshi Tatsu
Zack Ryder
Chavo
Christian
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Hornswoggle!!!
JTG
Kofi Kingston
Matt Hardy
Rey Mysterio
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Dos Caras

the problem is that most of these guys are not on the same show. if somehow vince could trade them to one show, it could work. dos caras is in fcw right now, so how does he come in? daniel bryan is now off of nxt so he can't be in it. also, i dont think it would hurt any of those midcard/main event guys as long as they are all in it. lastly, you have the issue you guys are bringing up about carlito and primo being in their tag team again. who cares. wwes tag division sucks right now. youve got the hart dynasty, the colons, and whoever the miz and jericho decide to tag with next. p.s. hornswoggle=comic relief no storyline anywhere near that guy.

All of these would automatically be eliminated from the cruiserweight contendership due to overweight, some of them are just on the verge I know, but either we'd have to change the weight-class of it with a raise of 10 kilo's (if we want Matt Hardy in it) or to have each and every one of those people loose weight.

their is a hole in your thinking. yes, in essence to have a true cruiserweight division, they all have to be a certain size. but, if wwe just happened to call it something else with no weight limits, just no limits(hint hint) they could use anbody they want.

i would love to see the wwe bring back the cruiserweights, as many have stated they have many guys who fit that division who are either jobbing on raw or sd!, or doing the same on superstars. I do think though that after the NXT season ends it should be once again repackaged as an all cruiserweight show, the only problem i see here that it would be exciting, at first but knowing the wwe booking it would most likely become stale and the creative team would just stop caring about fueds over the title much like they did to the end of its life prior to its defunction.

in conclusion, yes i would love to see the cruiserweights back and especially featured with there own show, but i do feel that at this point in wwe they would become stale and eventually they would stop caring. so i dont think it would work at this point in time.

There are a couple of things I would like to address here. 1. I know all these guys don't meet the weight requirement to be a cruiserweight, but to put that WWE should have a division in which it was about no limits, not weight limits, would have gotten me some serious stick. 2. I realise that these guys are on different shows, so just do what they should be doing anyway, the champion... Can appear on both shows (1 world title, 1 mid-card, 1 light heavy/cruiser/no limits, 1 tag, 1 womens. Exactly how it should be!) 3. People on here need to read the whole thread. I said that guys like Kofi, Morrison, Mysterio & Punk don't always have to be in the hunt for the belt, maybe the odd reign every year or 2 to elevate one of the lesser stars. 4. The Hornswoggle mention (complete with added exclamation marks) was for comedic effect, we all know that no matter how shit he makes a show, he'll always be involved in some way or another because he's a miget & migets are what people want to see as opposed to actual talented wrestlers in the ring. 5. If you don't know all the people mentioned in the thread then I suggest you go & watch something other than fucking Raw you cretins. There really are some thick bastards posting on this site! Think outside the box folks

Evan Borne
Primo
Tyson Kidd
Yoshi Tatsu
Chavo
JTG
Daniel Bryan
Justin Gabriel
Dos Caras

Fixed. Those are the only ones that actually qualify which you posted. All the others beside Mysterio don't qualify (weight issues) and Mysterio going back to a cruiserweight division wouldn't make sense seeing as he is a former World Champion now. Let's not forget the fact that Tyson kidd and Primo are both in tag teams at the moment. That being said, Evan Bourne, Yoshi Tatsu, JTG, Daniel Bryan, Justin Gabriel, Don Caras, and Chavo Guerrero would be a decent division. Except alot would have to be changed in terms of fan reaction, as 5 are faces. Caras might debut as a face. Chavo is a heel. It's not very balanced.

This being said, I doubt the cruiserweights will be brought back. Enough TV time is being took up by upper mid-card fueds with no title relevence, Main Event title fueds, tag titles, the already lacking mid-card titles, and the two women's divisions. Although I think a cruiser could replace a stupid 2nd women's division (although my opinion on that is for a different thread), it most likely won't happen. I'm sory but I think the cruiserweight is dead in the water. Tune in Thursday nights to Spike! and they have a nice thing called the X-Division, the same thing but no weight limits.

The cruiserweight division has never garnered immense interest in either the casual fan or hardcore fan. It would be largely a waste of time, as most of those guys don't even deserve to have much TV time anyway. They don't need more.

I say just let them flounder, where they belong, while the important stars get the most time.

all tho i would love 2 see the cruiserweight title back it will never come back at least for the time being. but it sucks 2 see such talented superstars go to waste like evan bourne with out the cruiserweight title.

Imagine this. Justin Gabriel wins NXT and instead of having a cgampionship match he wants to bring back the cruiserweight title. I would love this idea and it woukd be even better if he was a heel. Then you have Truth, Evan, or Rey take te title for that prestige. I wouldnt mind seeing Rey take the title and fued with Punk since he gets jealous or something. This is a great udea and it could solve their jobber problem. I really do hope that they dont involve Hornswoggle. lol

I don't believe that the Cruiserweight division is going to be making a return anytime soon. The WWE has done the whole light heavyweight thing several times over the past 25 years or so and it's just never really caught on. However, to be fair, it's not as if Vince McMahon really just put tons and tons of energy into making it work either time. In this day and age, Cruiserweight divisions just don't fly unless most of the matches are spotfests and that's simply not how the WWE tends to work. To some degree, I think the idea of limiting wrestlers by their weight as to whom they can wrestle and what potential championships they can be in contention for is a little silly.

Most of the wrestlers on the WWE roster are about 250 pounds and under. Many of them, even such as John Cena and Randy Orton would only have to drop about 20 or 25 pounds to be considered "light heavyweights". The era of the "Big Man" is slowly drawing to a close I believe. Five years ago, Vince McMahon would have loved to have had a guy like Skip Sheffield on his roster but things have changed. Now, Vince doesn't really look for guys that even look like steroid freaks, even if they've never done roids in their life. Overall, you usually come across a better quality of wrestler without the whole bodybuilder type of physique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back