WWE Clash Of Champions General Discussion & Reviews

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Keep all speculation as to the final card and the event itself here. Please, observe the no spam rules.

As of right now, I think the final card will look something like this.

1.WWE Universal Championship - Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
2. WWE United States Championship - Rusev vs. Roman Reigns
3. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks
4. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson
5. Best of 7 Series Match #7 - Cesaro vs. Sheamus
6. One on One Singles Match - Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho

Keep all speculation as to the final card and the event itself here. Please, observe the no spam rules.

As of right now, I think the final card will look something like this.

1.WWE Universal Championship - Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
2. WWE United States Championship - Rusev vs. Roman Reigns
3. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks
4. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson
5. Best of 7 Series Match #7 - Cesaro vs. Sheamus
6. One on One Singles Match - Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a match to crown the new WWE Cruiserweight Champion, since the Cruiserweights are coming to RAW next week.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a match to crown the new WWE Cruiserweight Champion, since the Cruiserweights are coming to RAW next week.
As much as it's damn possible, I wouldn't like it as it would be too soon. They are just going to debut on 19th and we get our champion just 7 days after it? I think that a tournament could be better option. We could get our champion at Survivor Series instead.

My initial reaction is "Rematches of The Champions." Not a single thing on this card is a fresh match up, except the main event and only sort of. We saw Owens and Rollins fight in the vacant Universal title match, but Triple H and his absence has stolen a lot of the heat between Rollins and Owens.

Everything else is a SummerSlam rematch, except Jericho vs Zayn which has been done at least twice before this. Nonetheless those two could easily put on a barn burner.

Rusev vs Reigns was marred by Rusev's injury. The way they wrote off the match wasn't good. I wonder if they're thinking is having Reigns hold the US title will recreate the magic that was the John Cena US title angle from last year. That angle worked because John and his opponents put on incredible matches. I don't see Roman drawing any MOTY candidates out of anyone at this stage in his career. I wanted Roman to win at SummerSlam, but know with the way everything has been handled, I'd like to see Rusev retain and move on.

Anderson and Gallows need to win. I fear that they have the New Day's sites set on the all time tag team title reign in WWE. They have about 90-ish days to go for Demolition's record, which means the soonest they could lose the titles is December. I hope it's not the case as Gallows and Anderson need the win.

I don't see Sasha recapturing here as it makes sense to have her chase the title a while longer. Bayley will also likely get involved with this feud after Clash, keeping it alive.

Cesaro wins. I really can't tell where this is going other than they want to book this comeback angle. I really hope they add an actual prize to this contest, like maybe the US title number one contender spot.

The Cruiserweight title will not be decided on this card, unless they really want to rush things. They debut Monday the 19th then the Clash is on the 25th. Seems to quick to debut a title. I wouldn't be surprised if we had preliminaries on this card, but not a champion. Look for the title to be announced on this card, then not decided until the next Raw event.

There's a lot of rematches on this card so it's up to the performers to give us a reason to watch Sunday. Rollins vs Owens, Jericho vs Zayn and Sasha vs Charlotte all have match of the night potential. Triple H will likely get involved with the main event to further his feud with Rollins.

all in all this is shaping up to be an amazing PPV from top to bottom. Even Sheamus vs Cesaro doesn't seem to bad (if it happens which I think it will). If it opens the show then it's not a bad way to start the show as the casuals seem to be enjoying it. All the other matches I'm expection B+ to A+ match quality just due to who is in it even Rusev vs Reigns is a good choice with Reigns finally beating him for the title.
As much as it's damn possible, I wouldn't like it as it would be too soon. They are just going to debut on 19th and we get our champion just 7 days after it? I think that a tournament could be better option. We could get our champion at Survivor Series instead.
another tournament right after the CwC seems a bit much. I'm thinking either a gauntlet or ladder match myself but I agree it should happen at survivor series

Finally RAW decided to build some storylines. Rusev's absencem Sasha's absence, Finn Balor's injury and Zayn not doing anything really kept them back.

The card shapes out okay and will be a great PPV to watch for sure.

I think the Cruiserweight Championship match to crown the first ever C champion should be added as well.

Also probably a match between Bayley and Dana Brooke.

It's possible. They could announce that there'll be some sort of big ol' spot fest of a match featuring all the members of the Cruiserweight Division to crown the first Cruiserweight champion. As Mr. Bean said though, I too hope they don't go that route as it'd be nice to have the personalities of the cruiserweights fleshed out a bit. If they don't want to make the mistakes they've had in the past, I think it'd be best if they waited to crown a champion a little further down the line instead of rushing right into it and throwing a bunch of guys together that a lot of fans might not be all that familiar with into matches and expect said fans to care about them.

On the whole, I'm looking forward to Clash of Champions as the night draws closer. The PPV has the potential to be something special. The main event match should be a great wrestling match. I can almost predict with some certainty that Triple H will get involved in some manner. That ought to give the PPV a twist ending that people will be talking about. But that's not to forget about some of the other matches that have the potential to be great. The Women's Championship match between three of the best that the WWE has to offer should be a great contest. Charlotte ought to leave Clash of Champions as the Women's Champion but I'd be willing to swallow that so long as Bayley gets a good showing. We also should be looking forward to the Cruiserweight Championship match. The Brian Kendrick has been a breath of fresh air through the CWC and I was happy to see him get the nod to be the number one contender on Raw on Monday night.

That said, there is a fair amount of shit on the show that I am not interested in seeing. The Tag Team Championship match is something that is completely turning me off. I honestly couldn't care less how that one goes. The match between Sheamus and Cesaro ought to be quite underwhelming too, especially if they do what I think they are going to do and put Sheamus over.

But on the whole, I am excited to see how things go on Sunday night. As I said, it has the potential to be a real 5 star event. But more than likely, a lot of the matches will flop. I'm staying positive though.

So now we have had the first Raw exclusive PPV during the return of the Brand Extension. I went into this show with fairly high expectations. With Raw being the flagship brand I figured WWE would put forth more effort into this show than they did for Backlash earlier this month. Here are some thoughts on the event.

Pre-Show: Alicia Fox VS Nia Jax
I had a grand total of ZERO interest in this. I spent this match ordering pizza. A pepperoni salami stuffed bacon cheese crust. As for this match? Neither one of them are good wrestlers, so who cares? By the time the pizza guy got here it was already over.

The New Day VS Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows [Raw Tag Team Championship]
At first I was surprised that this would open instead of the Cruiserweight Championship. In the end that seemed to work out for the better for both of the matches. New Day to start off the show with yet another silly promo to get the fans excited. Check. New Day retains as they should. Check. Anderson and Gallows are seriously getting boring. They suck without Styles. Maybe they can become the Balor Club when Finn gets back.

TJ Perkins VS Brian Kendrick [Cruiserweight Championship]
This was a fun match. What was up with the purple ring ropes? It would make sense if the Cruiserweight was going to be dual-branded although that won't happen given that Raw promoted it for a while that it would be exclusive to the red brand. Anyway, I liked Kendrick in his initial run so it was good to see him make a strong effort here. TJ's entrance theme is really cool! Rematch? Make it happen!

Cesaro VS Sheamus
Now, this is the low point of the night for me. I've hated this Best Of 7 feud since day 1. Seeing the same match over and over again every week without using different gimmick matches is BORING! It's been just awful, and this is coming from a Sheamus mark. I ended up going to the pantry for some snacks thinking it would be over by the time I return. I grabbed some halloween themed gummies and when I got back in the match was still going. It started to surprise me and I was enjoying it.... up until the stupid ending. What could POSSIBLY make anybody at the WWE think that this feud NOT ending definitively was a good idea? Really....? I never want to see those two face each other EVER again. I haven't been this sick of a 1 on 1 matchup repeat since Big Show VS Roman Reigns.

Chris Jericho VS Sami Zayn
MUCH better. This was a great match and I enjoyed it, right down to the ending. Jericho winning was a little odd, however worse booking decisions have happened. Sami will get his chance later.

Charlotte VS Sasha Banks VS Bayley [Triple threat match for the Raw Women's Championship]
Match. Of. The. Night. The women stole the show again! 3 of the 4 Horsewomen in a triple threat that was almost as good as the Wrestlemania one. Recommended to anyone who missed it.

Rusev (with Lana) VS Roman Reigns [United States Championship]
Well, at least we GOT the match this time. It was better than I thought it would be. The biggest problem it had for me was that it dragged on a bit. Roman Reigns as United States Champion is just fine by me. It will keep him away from the Universal Championship with a chance to do something else. I hope it's long-term. Unless Rusev just gets the belt back in the inevitable rematch. Probably the worst match of the night if I had to pick one.

Kevin Owens VS Seth Rollins [Universal Championship]
This was fairly entertaining. It didn't quite reach the quality that the Women's Championship match did but I really enjoyed it. A worthy match of closing this show. Rollins and Owens should certainly continue their feud. With the Hell In A Cell event coming up next on Raw's calendar, that gimmick would fit a rematch between the two nicely.

Overall Thoughts
A decent show overall. When ranking it against Backlash last month, I would say that the blue brand won this month. That event had history making moments due to their new championships. That's not to say that this show sucked. On the contrary. It was one of the better events of the year. As far as recommended matches if you missed the event, you really would only need to see the Universal Championship match and the Raw Women's Championship match. Perhaps the Cruiserweight Championship match too. This event ranks 4th so far of the main roster's events this year.

Dagger's 2016 PPV Rankings
1. Money In The Bank 2016
2. Summerslam 2016

3. Backlash 2016
4. Clash Of Champions 2016
5. Wrestlemania 32
6. Battleground 2016
7. Extreme Rules 2016
8. Payback 2016
9. Royal Rumble 2016
10. Fastlane 2016

So o.k, this special sunday edition of raw happened and left me wondering, why I'm I still watching raw every week. Almost everything they should have done they did the complete opposite. Nothing felt special and I'm thinking that 85% of the matches we saw tonight we're going to see again at hell in a cell. Why did we need to have so many drawn out matches during the show and why would you feel the need to do an overrun for this show. Really did we need all thoses matches to go over the 20 minutes lengh?

Raw really need to learn from smackdown on how to tell a story and how to book a ppv because smackdown had a way better ppv then raw this month and I wouldn't be surprise if the same thing happens next month.

Overall, I enjoyed the show.

Sheamus vs Cesaro was a lot better than I expected. The finish was so stupid it was traumatizing, but I'm glad that these guys were able to create something that seemed fresh enough to me to set itself apart from their other six encounters.

T.J. Perkins vs Brian Kendrick exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high to begin with. My favorite thing about the Cruiserweight Division is in how their entrances have translated to the big stage, T.J.s especially as I'm sure you'd all agree. The match only loses points with me because it was just as much a short-attention span theater spot-fest as has come to be the norm for the style of match for the lighter athletes. Either way, getting constant action and high-risk spots out of a match isn't all bad. I enjoyed seeing T.J. prove his mettle and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see Brian Kendrick again.

Chris Jericho vs Sami Zayn was neat. It was an odd addition to the card as neither man is currently a champion, or was fighting in match seven of a month-long best of seven. I've always liked Chris, and lately he's been even more endearing than ever. I'm just happy I get to see him still perform at such a high energy level for his age, and that he won the match. I get why people love Sami, but I really don't get excited for him. In the end, it was a great Chris Jericho match for me.

Seth vs Kevin was great in my opinion. It was resonating with psychology; Seth hadn't fully converted to face at this point, so we fans were given the match that would be his paradigm shift. This was an all-important successful title defense for Kevin Owens, where it's obvious that Seth is still going to be an interesting major player at the top of the card.

Overall, B+ (mostly thanks to T.J. Perkins vs Brian Kendrick)

Such a great show, which could have been top quality if they had let Sheamus and Cesaro continue fighting. Didn't you hear the fans Vince? Just shoot the shit out of it, have Foley come out at the last minute and have him restart the match. Call Cole on the headset and tell him Cesaro goes over and then have Cole inform the ref this. The ref informs the wrestlers and bam. This whole thing would have taken up 2 minutes. Cesaro and Sheamus continues, Cesaro wins, and both end up looking like badasses.

Worst match was the women's triple threat. I found myself very off during it and myself was proven wrong. I wanted the women to main event a PPV, but they are not ready.

The rest of the show was amazing. Really great wrestling. But, with a better buildup and Cesaro and Sheamus continuing, it would ended up like the best PPV of 2016.

1. WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson - This match only went about 7 minutes, but there was a lot of energy and it went at a quick pace from the opening bell. These teams work well together for the most part, especially when they don't have Gallows & Anderson try to be funny, and last night was their best match against each other. There were several times during the match where I thought the titles were about to change. Partially because Gallows & Anderson had successfully decimated all members of New Day at various points and partially because of New Day's long title run; today marks 400 days since they won the titles for the 2nd time, so it's almost uncharted territory in WWE because I was in elementary school the last time a tag team in WWE held the straps for so long. New Day did wind up retaining the titles after allying and hitting their finishers, which I think was the right call. Gallows & Anderson are growing on me slowly, but I don't think they're nearly as good as dirt sheet writers made them out to be in New Japan. **3/4

2. WWE Cruiserweight Championship - TJ Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick - This was a good showcase match for the cruiserweights and it helped that the fans were into it. I still think that they could have waited a bit and built up the individual personas of the cruiserweights before having the first title match but, at the same time, not having the CW Championship on the card MIGHT have been interpreted by some that WWE had already lost interest in the Cruiserweight Division. One thing about this match is that I felt there was a possibility, maybe a 10 to 15% chance in my own head, that Kendrick would win since nobody is really established yet in the division; I get the sense that WWE really wanted to be able to sign Kota Ibushi or Zack Saber Jr, or both, and have one of them ultimately win the tournament and be the first champ and, since that didn't happen, they felt Perkins may simply have been the next best thing. Both guys worked hard and delivered some good spots and told a good story, but they didn't go crazy here. Perkins retaining via submission about the 10.5 minute mark was, in my mind, the right call because, to me, it would've sent the wrong message to have the winner of the first Cruiserweight Classic drop the title the first time he defended it. The post match attack from Brian Kendrick was a nice touch, we don't need all the CW matches ending with handshakes & hugs as it's just a little too unrealistic to me; Kendrick's response seemed perfect to me since his character has a chip on his shoulder, his age keeps being brought up and that he's not got much time, etc.[/B]***[/B]

1. Best of Seven Series: Match Seven - Cesaro vs. Sheamus - Some haven't been into this program from the beginning, which I can understand, but I've enjoyed it overall and I thought these two guys killed it last night. Sheamus pulled out what's been his best match in years, in my opinion, and both guys left it all out there. You could tell they were working their asses off as you could literally see sweat practically pouring off Sheamus at times. Cesaro's so good inside the ring and I dig that he adds new moves to his arsenal every so often, but he needs a lot more practice on those suicide dives; that was a really nasty spot and it made me cringe when I saw it last night, especially when they kept replaying it. The guy landed right on his head and the way he kept working his arm, or how it kept hanging at his side, has me hoping he was just selling and that he didn't suffer some sort of stinger or even a concussion. The ending to this match was unexpected and, personally, I feel that this sort of intensity should've been entered into the program say about match 2 or 3 as it just added energy to it. The match went to a no contest at about 17 minutes or so and I'm thinking that they try to go to match 7 tonight on Raw, as part of a means of drawing viewers as Raw has the misfortune of going up against both Monday Night Football and the first Presidential Debate between Clinton and Trump. Or, I could see them putting match 7 off and have them finish up at HIAC with these two inside the Cell itself. ***3/4

4. Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho - I felt this was a really good match and while Jericho may not be as quick or as overall athletic as he once was, he can still go in the ring, and he can still tell a story with the best of them. The match started out kind of slow, but they really cranked it up a notch the last 10 minutes or so. I get the feeling that they're looking to do the whole underdog thing with Sami Zayn as they're having him have ppv matches in which he looks strong but ultimately comes up a little short after both he and his opponent use everything they've got. I was surprised to see Jericho go over here, I simply felt that he'd put Zayn over as it's ultimately what we're used to seeing Jericho do. I'm also wondering how his bromance with Owens ultimately ends. ***1/2

5. WWE Raw Women's Championship - Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley - A strong match from the ladies, though Charlotte was definitely the star of the match. Even without Dana Brooke's mild interference, which we knew was coming, she looked pretty dominant for the most part. The match told a nice story of Bayley & Sasha ultimately getting in each other's way, which is what I think most of us expected to happen, and that's how it should be; I'd like to see tension grow between them because, frankly, Sasha is a lot more entertaining when she's not being buddies with people. Charlotte winds up retaining the Women's Championship at about the 15.5 minute mark after catching Bayley with a big boot; I didn't mind Bayley losing because I think WWE's best route is to go the way of the loveable underdog with her because it worked so beautifully in NXT. She's only been on the main roster about a month and it's much too soon to win the title. ***1/4

6. WWE United States Championship - Rusev vs. Roman Reigns - Both guys worked hard and delivered a strong match that had a lot of believable drama building towards an ultimately rewarding payoff, for some people anyhow. I thought this match did more good to Rusev than anything else, considering how dominant Reigns was not so long ago, that it just seemed to make Rusev look good. This was the one title match in which I was almost sure would end with a new champ and that's ultimately what happened. Reigns hit the spear to become the new WWE United States Champion a little past the 17 minute mark. The US Championship picture should keep Reigns occupied for a while, hopefully a good long while, and away from the Universal Championship. Reigns will be back in the main event at some point down the line, we can only hope that Vince has realized that fans aren't going to embrace Roman Reigns as the ultimate babyface no matter what he may personally want. ***1/2

7. WWE Universal Championship - Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins - While the action of this match was good, I think part of the problem is that Rollins isn't established as a babyface just yet. Truth be told, he hasn't really done or said anything to endear himself to fans as of yet. I've got no problem whatsoever with a slow build for a big babyface moment, but this match suffered a bit for it. I may be wrong here but I have a feeling that if Triple H was making the final creative call, we wouldn't have seen this match until around the end of the year or maybe just after the first of 2017; I feel that there'd have been ample time and opportunity for Rollins to be built up to where fans invest in him as a babyface against someone like Owens. As I said, the action was good, quite good overall, and both men worked hard to deliver an entertaining match, but the ending hurt the match also as it was just simply too overbooked. A little interference from Jericho was okay, but I thought this ultimately just took away from the match as a whole. Owens did retain via the Pop Up Powerbomb a bit past the 25 minute mark. ***

Final Thoughts - Overall, Clash of Champions was an entertaining show that featured strong wrestling matches and some fun moments. For me, the biggest letdown was the main event in that, while it was a good match, it wasn't "main event" level good though that had more to do with booking than the fault of the wrestlers. All in all, there wasn't a bad match on the card and while the card as a whole MIGHT have been stronger than SmackDown's Backlash, the blue brand right now ultimately seems to be able to do more with less. They don't have as many established stars on the blue brand as Raw has, but they know how to get the most out of them. Still, this was a fun show from top to bottom.

Grade: B+

WWE Raw Tag Team Championship - The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson

I would really have liked to see this match go +10 minutes. And it was great up until the finish - the best match these guys have put on since their feud started. It had a good intensity and pace, especially with two big guys in there. I hated the finish though, despite it giving Anderson and Gallows an 'out', babyfaces should not be resorting to heel tactics to win matches. It blurs the boundaries. A recurrent theme right now on RAW. **3/4

WWE Cruiserweight Championship - TJ Perkins vs. Brian Kendrick

I actually wasn't into this one too much. Don't get me wrong, the match was fine but it never really got going as much as I would have liked. Both guys could probably work another couple of gears above this, especially with the time allocated. I guess the finish was pretty inevitable too. **1/4

Best of Seven Series: Match Seven - Cesaro vs. Sheamus

The best match of the night. You'd expect them to have good chemistry after 6 matches together but the haven't run out of ideas, and this was, as expected, the best match of the series. It was physical, had plenty of near falls, and established both men as strong contenders again. There was one heart in mouth moment when Cesaro landed right on his head so really good to see he's not badly hurt. This is was more akin to Sheamus' old character where he was a genuine tough guy (heel or babyface) - it suits him a lot more than the more smug persona he's adopted in recent months. I think in retrospect, most people will be happy with this, despite the no finish. It sure sets up more storyline, rather than having a winner, resetting and moving on. ***3/4

Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho

This was entertaining, but it didn't quite live up to the expectation. This is the best I've seen Jericho for a while in singles action though and he's really refined his character with the whole 'Gift of Jericho' gimmick, which I didn't really connect with at first. Lots of offence for Jericho throughout, and then the win, which I did have a feeling they would go with. It didn't look like the kind of finish that would lead to another match, so this could mean a bigger role for the veteran going forward. **3/4

WWE Raw Women's Championship - Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley

I enjoyed this one a lot, there were tons of roll ups, near falls etc, and they did a good job of leaving you in dark about the possible finish - especially with Dana being involved and looking like she might cost Charlotte the title. I can't help but feel Bayley is a bit of sideshow as she keeps taking the losses, protecting Sasha. They'd be better off not having her in title at all if that's how they're gonna book her. Charlotte continues to win, and continues to impress. All three women are extremely good and put of really entertaining matches. ***

WWE United States Championship - Rusev vs. Roman Reigns

This was a predictable finish to a feud that has gone on for too long and has been marred by Reigns dipping in and out of the title picture. I wondered how long it would be until Rusev faced a top babyface who would not tap to the accolade (or be able to get out of it). In my opinion, this is an issue for heels who have a submission as their main finisher. As for the match, this followed very much the same format as their RAW match before Summerslam. Lots of offence from Rusev, but the story was that he ran out of answers and Roman was the stronger guy. **1/2

WWE Universal Championship - Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins

This had the potential to be complete barnstormer but it was always destined for a screwy finish - which is what we had. Both guys were just about getting going before Jericho's interference. Owens focused on wearing down Rollins for most of the match, only for Rollins to make the occasional babyface comeback. I understand the logic of stacking the odds against Rollins to gain him sympathy but there isn't any for Rollins because he's not operating in a proper babyface role. The finish was shambles, and totally overbooked. **1/4

This PPV was a direct product of the confusing RAW booking over the past several weeks. None of the matches, apart from maybe the 7 series really lived up to expectations - they were good. But there were no moments where I got really excited like I have in past offerings. Truth is, I wasn't invested in enough of the matches due to the shady booking. And that always makes it harder to showcase a memorable match - when there hasn't been a good enough build up or back story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back