• Rocky Johnson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Bruno Sammartino
brunohof.jpg

The Longest reigning WWWF Champion in history he held the title 2 times over an 11 year period. His first reign came when he beat The Original Nature Boy Buddy Rogers in 48 seconds. He held the title for seven years, eight months the lognest reign in Men's wrestling history, a record which still stands today. His second reign came when he beat Stan Hansen and he held the title for three years, four months, and twenty days. In addition to being the longest reigning Champion in Men's wrestling history he has held many other titles and won numerous awards for Match of the year (1972, 1975, 1976, 1977 and 1980), Most Insperational Wrestler of the year in 1976 and the wrestler of the year award in 1974.

Soulman Rocky Johnson
Img64.png

Most well known for being the father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson Johnson was a gifted wrestler in his own right. He has held many titles, both as a Singles competitor and as a Tag Team wrestler throughout his career. The highlight of his career came when he and Tony Atlas became the first African American Tag Team Champions beating Afa & Sika "The Wild Samoans".​

This should be a total and complete beatdown and I'll be saddened if Johnson gets more than 3 votes. Bruno is a forgotten wrestling God. People talk about Cena's year long run like it was something epic. Sammartino held the title over ten years. How many people weren't even watching wrestling ten years ago? Imagine if since the Attitude Era there was one champion.

Johnson was a nobody, plain and simple. He is in the Hall of Fame because of his son, nothing more. His tag title reign is significant not for what they accomplished, but because of the color of their skin. Why his partner is still around I don't know. He's overrated and is where he is because of his son. Bruno in the epitome of a squash.

I think you said it best in your introduction; Rocky Johnson is better known for the achievements of his offspring that for what he himself accomplished.

This is a tournament of legends, and as such you can't really out and out trash anybody except in comparative terms. And comparatively speaking, when placed next to Bruno Sammartino, Rocky Johnson is a nobody.

Personally I'm not a Sammartino fan. I didn't like his style. These days brawlers are just another cog in the pro wrestling machine, but back in the day, when a great deal of emphasis was still but on "wrasslin ability" Bruno looked out of place.

There's also the whole Lou Thesz issue, but since I'm probably going to be voting for the guy, I'll stop with the negativity.

Sammartino's done it all. He was a monumental draw for a huge period of time. He was one of the few people selected by those inside the industry to go over Lou Thesz, which I'm sure we can all agree means one hell of a lot more than any title reign.

Conversely, Rocky Johnson... well... I'll level with you. I know absolutely nothing about the guy, and right now I'm making the assumption that there is a reason for that. If somebody wants to change my mind then be my guest, but right now I'm thinking Sammartino takes this on in an easy win.

Bruno Sammartino in a squash.

Johnson had style. He had some skills. I'm not taking away from that. However, he is way out of his league here.

Sammartino was an icon before icons existed. He was legendary before the business believed in calling someone that. He defined how to value a title. He took the belt and made each and every win mean something. I doubt anyone will ever surpass his title reigns, and I'd be saddened if they do.

Granted, booking is different now, but Sammartino did more than just hold a belt. He knew how to perform in the business. He had skills. He could beat you down and make it look good.

In the end, Johnson only has a fraction, and a small fraction at that, of what Sammartino brings to the table.

I concur with the opening lines of each. Sammartino is known for having almost 11 years of heavyweight gold in two runs and Rocky Johnson is known for having The Rock as his kid. Besides, in what is becoming my stock argument, Johnson is best known as a tag division wrestler while Sammartino has Match of the Years and record holding title reigns. Back then, you only held the belt that long by being good enough to hold it

Bruno wins this so easily, I should have dropped Rocky Johnson and put in somebody that is worthy of the label of legend. While he may be a Hall of Famer, he is nowhere near the man that the WWWF relied on, including into Vince K. McMahon's ownership of the company. He Drew. He holds the record for the most sell outs of MSG. He drew in the region that was considered to be the place where every wrestler wanted to have a run at some stage in their career.

Agree with everyone else. Johnson would be pretty much a nobody if it wasn't for his son and that he was the first african american tag champ. He had a nice run with the tag belts, but nothing can compare to Bruno and his belt run. This is a complete squash, Sammartino was a maineventer whereas Rocky was a tag star.

My vote goes to Bruno Sammartino. His 2 WWWF title reigns equeled 11 years. His brawling style was new and inovative in a time when all people wanted to see was "Wrasslin". While its obvious Johnson is not going to make it past this round he was a gifted wrestler in his own right. To be the first anything is an accomplishment, but to be good enough to be the first black Tag Team Champion in a time when Discrimination was still a big issue is even a bigger accomlishment. That being said Johnson does not compare to Sammartino.

Rocky Johnson is a legend? I think the only thing he is known for is blessing his son with good genes, that's about it. sure he was a part of the first African American tag team, but if he wasn't a part of it, someone else would ahve been. It was coming, he just happeend to be at the right place at the right time.

Bruno on the other hand is a freaking legend of legends. It's arguable that he is the biggest legend in the history of the WWF, depends upon what generation you ask. There is a legit argument that Bruno is the greatest ever, depending on criteria.

Bruno Samartino is one of wrestlings true Legends. WWE doesnt give him the recognition that he Rocky Johnson was the first African American to win a title. He was a tremendous athelete and had world championship potential. But he's most know for bieng the father of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. For me this is a tough match up but Bruno Samartino wins out in the end.

Bruno wins this easily. Sure Johnson was the first African American tag team champ, but other then being the Rocks dad would anyone even remember this guy? The answer is no. Bruno is a real legend that helped shaped the WWE and I will always respect and thank for helping make this business what it is today.

Bruno carried the old WWWF/WWF for more than 7 years. Without this man the NWA would have killed Vince. But with Bruno, Vince got money. And for 7 years Bruno kept bringing it in.

And as said Rocky Johnson Jr is more well known then his elder father. Johnson couldn't sell out a bingo hall - Bruno could sell out MSG for 7 years.

Bruno in a squash.

I forgot to put a closng time on this poll so lets just say it's over.

Results: 25-1 for Bruno Sammartino. Sammartino goes into the 2nd round.

My thoughts: I'm not surprised at all the Sammartino won this match. He is without a doubt the Biggest superstar of what I'm going to call the WWWF years. His 2 title reigns added up to 11+ years. He holds the longest reigning Champion in Men's wrestling history. That is a huge accompishment that will probably stand for a very long time. Rocky Johnson on the other hand is most known for being the Rock's dad and being the first black Tag Team Champion with Tony Atlas. Both are things to be proud of but they don't compare with the very long list of accomlishments that Sammartino has.

Sammartino is considered by some to be the greatest champion of all time. While I don't necessarily agree with that, he is easily better than Rocky Johnson. Why is Johnson even in this? He was the first black man to win the Tag-Team Championships. Big fricken deal. His biggest accomplishment is fathering the Rock. Bruno wins in a landslide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back