• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE: 2009 VS 2010

Paralyzer Z

Fuck honor
Basically the same as the the WWE 2007 VS 2008(not 2088) thread

I pick 2010 since WWE began the youth movement and was a fresh year. 2009 was very repetitive.

In wich year was WWE better 2009 or 2010? Why?

2009 > 2010 in every single capacity

WM 25 > WM 26
HBK vs. Taker I > HBK vs. Taker II
Heel Randy Orton > Face Randy Orton
Jeff Hardy > No Jeff Hardy

2009 gave us the culmination of the Edge-Vickie storyline, a surprisingly memorable feud for HHH-Orton, the debut of Sheamus, and the official solidification of Punk as a main event talent. The Jeff Hardy/CM Punk storyline was one of the best of the entire decade, and in 2010 Punk was completely wasted and used horribly. 2009 gave us an Intercontinental Championship that actually meant something, where people like Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, CM Punk, and John Morrison feuded for the title and the match had a prominent role on the card. There was actually some sort of a tag division in 2009 with the Colons, Cryme Tyme, Rhodes & Dibiase, JoMo & Morrison, Edge & Y2J, DX, JeriShow, and more while 2010 didn't have any of the aforementioned teams. I think 2010 was the worst year in WWE since 1995, and that 2009 was an average year so I don't even think this debate is close but who knows I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2010 because RAW fucking sucked in 2009 but Smackdown was pretty awesome (Rey/Jericho and Punk/Hardy helped alot) but last year i felt RAW improved alot and was much better year than the horrible 2009 RAW and Smackdown was good too.

PPV wise lets start with the big one Wrestlemania to put it clear WM26>WM25 any day because WM25 was pretty damn bad for a Wrestlemania event and also for that matter most PPV's in 2009 wasn't very good (Summerslam 2009 was fucking amazing though) 2010 had much better PPV's. Nexus storyline really helped give 2010 a good push to being better it was a awesome storyline.

2010. Granted 2009 Smackdown was awesome. The Punk-Hardy saga was in full swing, Undertaker was World Champion, Jericho Was World Champion, Punk was World Champion, The SES were around, Jeri-Show owned the tag division. Yes for Smackdown it was a great year, but 2009 was ruined for me by the damn guest host regime. That whole angle blew chunks and made 2009 almost unbearable for me. Therefore 2010 I am choosing as the better year as both Smackdown and Raw were pretty good, with the Nexus angle, Kane and Undertaker feud, it was a pretty good year for both shows overall and therefore better than 2009 with the damn guest hosts. Die guest hosts die!

Following my formula from the 2007 – 2008 thread…

2009 - On the WWE Title side, we had Jeff Hardy, Edge, Triple H, Randy Orton, Batista, John Cena, and Sheamus holding the Spinner Belt, while on the World Title side, we had John Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, and Undertaker holding the Big Gold Belt. On the ECW Title side, we had Matt Hardy, Jack Swagger, Christian, and Tommy Dreamer holding the Platinum Belt.

2010 – On the WWE Title side, we had Sheamus, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, and The Miz holding the Spinner Belt, while on the World Title side, we had The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Jack Swagger, Rey Mysterio, Kane, and Edge holding the Big Gold Belt. On the ECW Title side, we had Christian, and Ezekiel Jackson holding the Platinum Belt.

From the Main Event scene alone, I think 2009 takes this but by a very slim margin.

Goodness, it's 2010 and not even close.

2009 got off to a great start with Orton's Rumble win and the build up to Wrestlemania.... but after that it went downhill pretty fast on Raw's side. The AWFUL guest host angle started and Raw was nearly unwatchable for parts of the fall semester. Smackdown had some good moments, but it was not enough to make up for the low quality in Raw and some of the PPV's during that time.

2010 on the other hand.... That year saw the return of Bret Hart, one of the best Wrestlemanias of the decade in Wrestlemania 26, Summerslam was pretty great that year too especially the epic main event, the NEXUS (original, not the CM Punk one) caused chaos during the summer and fall, new guys were being pushed, and other than Miz's title win towards the end 2010 was a fantastic year.

So when it comes down to a year of the same three or four guys feuding for the title all year alongside awful guest hosts wasting everyone's time, or a year that kept the great moments coming for all 12 months and pushed new people, it's a pretty easy choice to me because I would take the latter over the former any day.

It was 2010 and it's not even remotely close people. SmackDown! was good in 2009 but Raw, for much of the year, was pretty damn abysmal.

The "entertainment" aspect of WWE took centerstage for most of 2009. That's not to say that everything was bad on Raw or anything like that but there were just a lot of problems on Raw, especially after WrestleMania. After WrestleMania XXV, there was a massive de-emphasis on wrestling content on Raw. It wasn't uncommon to see less than 15 minutes of wrestling on Raw each week. Sometimes it was even less than that.

In 2009, we had the awful Hornswoggle vs. Chavo Guerrero feud. We saw soooooooo many lousy skits, segments and "wrestling matches" between these two that it did sometimes make me just toss my remote control onto the floor in disgust. Then we had Shawn Michaels & Triple H reform DX and they took up HUGE amounts of time themselves with stupid skits, corny segments that weren't the least bit funny and just came across as more like a couple of pathetic middle age men rather than men who had innovated wrestling more than a decade earlier. And that's all before they made Hornswoggle their "mascot".

Then we had the Raw Guest Host/Star aspect. I don't really mind a celeb popping up every now and again on the show but, in 2009, WWE would weave the entire episode around the visiting Guest Host more often than not. There'd be more segments featuring the celebrity than anything else and there was almost always at least one big 15-20 minute segment in which the celeb did their thing.

In 2010, things were FAR superior. WWE put more emphasis on their in-ring product and generally promoting the wrestlers themselves as the real stars of the show. They still did the Guest Host thing for a while but they modified it to where the Guest Host would be on screen for, maybe, a total of 5 minutes or so and that was just fine with me. The silly skits stopped, Hornswoggle was nowhere to be seen, DX was no longer dominating the show. The ppvs were better, for the most part, in 2010. Raw was infinitely a better show to watch and SmackDown! got better as well. People like The Miz, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and others were getting pushed into higher profile spots in the company. There were a few legit shocks here aqnd there. We saw the formation of Nexus which, for a while, was the hottest thing in wrestling. Guys like Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan, Alberto Del Rio and others all came on the scene, made big splashes and generated a lot of excitement.

So yeah, 2010 is just all over 2009, no question about that in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back