• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Success, Bust or In-Between: Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP)

Success, Bust or In-Between: Montel Vontavious Porter (MVP)

• Success

• Bust

• In-Between

Results are only viewable after voting.
The premise of his character was great. He was a overpaid athlete. But the WWE just never followed up on the character. And they could have with such ease. Just pick and pull from the headlines of american sports.

They could have had him create friction from over-exuberiant celebrations- Chad Johnson.

They could have had him sit out and claim he wasn't paid enough and wanted to re-negotiate his contrac- Darrell Revis most recently.

Terrell Owens- and sabotage a team/show with outlandish arrogant behavior

He could have done a LeBron and taken his talents to RAW-

Most recently- he could have done a Farve and announce his retirement every 3 months / Penis-gate

They could have mocked the supposed sexual harrassment of the hot hispanic chick in the Jets lockerroom.

Anytime something ridiculous happened in sports, MVP should have been the guy to mock them.

Their was just alot of material, much of it didnt have to be overt, but subtle jabs, while he was doing fueds. Just an extra layer to make him interesting.

this is one of the funniest and best ideas that i've heard in awhile. this would have been a fantastic character and gimmick. as you said, there is no fear of not having enough material.

as far as MVP's WWE career goes, however, i voted in-between. i tried to be more extreme and vote either success or bust, but i just couldn't. normally i'm able to do that, but MVP goes in-between for me. and not in the weird sexual way that that statement just sounded like.

his career really started off good i thought. i loved his tag team feud with Kennedy, Taker and Kane. it was very enjoyable. and even before that with the highest paid contract in SD history... that was very believable and i already hated him before he ever even wrestled a single match. great stuff for a heel.

and i really enjoyed the VIP Lounge. the reality is that anyone that has their own talking segment on any show has enough mic skills to get the job done. and this was no different. i particularly enjoyed a certain VIP Lounge when Triple H was the guest and they went back and forth. very entertaining.

but this guy's face turn was terrible. his feud with Kane and Benoit and Matt Hardy as a heel was brilliant. his face turn and feuds with... oh yeah, i can't remember because it was terrible and had no point to it.

just a shame. this guy should have stayed on Smackdown forever and remained a heel.

I voted bust. I never liked the guy or character but I have to give him credit when he first arrived to the E, he was relevant. But I'm not sure how relevant, I didn't care about him in his feud with Kane, I did care about him in his feud with Benoit and Matt Hardy. But his US title reign might be the longest and etc but I didn't care, I don't think he brought prestige to the title or anything. In some way I guess it was like Miz's title it was there but :shrug: And after he lost the title he was absolutely no one. For me it didn't matter if he was there or not, it was just like Mark Henry, it didn't matter for the company. Now he's gone I don't think is going to be really missed he didn't left any kind of marks in the biz.

I guess the most logical choice would have to be "in-between". Considering the fact that he's one of the longest reigning United States champions of all time, he's been somewhat consistent in terms of popularity, and he accomplished enough to not exactly be considered a failure.

While MVP was absolutely and utter shit, and should be more than happy to achieve what he did. I'd still have to stick to in-between, because he didn't accomplish enough to be considered slightly successful considering the severe lack of talent the man has. And he accomplished enough to not have his talent drag him into an automatic failure.

MVP was a complete success. Granted he never made it past the mid-card level. But, as we all know, he has had a very negative past. He turned his life around, and has done something positive with it. To me that is a complete success.

When MVP first came on the scene, I didn't like him. I still remember laughing at JBL, when he kept referring to MVP as a giant bud light can. He didn't start to grow on me until Wrestlemania, when he went against Benoit. That, to me, was one of the best matches I have ever seen. His fued with Hardy was nothing short of great, though I think the little gimmicks in between there matches were ******ed.

I respect MVP, for what he has done with his life, since returning to society. So, in my opinion, he was a complete success.

I went with success. The man that played the character was a success. The gimmick was a success. The beginning of his career was a success. The way he was under-utilized in the end and the way they dropped the ball with his further potential, was not.

Has to be considered a success I think. Longest reigning US champion in WWE history? Yeah he was never a world champ, and the losing streak/face turn killed his career, but he definitely left his mark. Combined with his unusual background (10 years in prison), I think he did ok for himself. Wasn't a great technician, but very competent in the ring and a memorable character.

In Between , I Think He Was A Wrestler That Had Pro's And Cons .

He Had Okay Mic Skills .
Okay Feuds .
Okay Title Rains .

He Was Nothing Special To Me !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think he was in between.

I don't think he was a failure only because of his face run. I actually think his face turn was descent and he had a good reaction from the crowd. Good enough to be given a push at least. I don't think WWE ever pulled the trigger on him.

He wasn't a success either because well, he never won the big on. To me a wrestler who is successful now a days has to have won the big one. I think most wrestlers who don't win the big one in their first 3 or 4 years are already called failures by today's standards. That is why I don't like the money in the bank that much.

Anyway, I think he was in between because he had his moments. He had his good number of feuds and I used to like his entrance when he started. It was flashy and the music just sounded good. I'm not basing it all on his entrance, but he did alright for himself after being there 5 years or however many he did.

I voted for in-between. I thought he had amazing mic skills. (I think WWE did too, hence "The VIP Lounge".) But I never saw a lot of ring talent there. (Then again, I say the same about their current "Raw" Champ.) I really grew to like him when he was doing the break-up of the team with Matt.

I'm betting he'll be careful to not burn any bridges, & he'll be back in the next decade.

I think in-between is the obvious answer here when you consider the two phases of his career - heel and face. He was great as a heel and I became a fan of his back in 2007. He had a decent character, which he played very well, and he proved in his matches with Benoit that he could wrestle. I was shocked at how good he was when I was watching Wrestlemania 23, and I believe that match is very underrated. He was also fairly entertaining during his feud with Matt Hardy, even if it did overstay its welcome a little. Let's not forget his 11 month U.S title reign during this time.

As good as he was as a heel, he was awful as a face. He was bland, boring and pretty much invisible for some time. I don't know why but his ring work seemed to suffer and he got very sloppy in the ring, and his matches this year were boring and completley forgetable. So, when you look at his four years in WWE, the first two were good and the last two were poor, so in-between is fair enough, I think.

I have to admit, I hated his character. It wasn't that great, didn't seem very creative. Then he feuded with Kane, then his feud with Benoit his reign as US champ, and his feud with Matt Hardy and he did impress me. He could work in the ring, was solid on the mike, could generate heat. How can I blame him for things that aren't in his control ? He doesn't come up with the storylines, any idea he has and gives to management concerning his character is shot down, so if his character doesn't move up through the ranks, I can't blame him for that. I voted success, he could have done more but he still achieved a lot more than most performers do.

WWE failed MVP.. he had boat loads of potential. has believability, which is lacking in the current product. The writers have to go.. WWE is barely watchable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back