WWE 2008: One Of The Best Post Attitude Era Years

Y-2-Jay

Pre-Show Stalwart
A few months ago i bought the full 2008 PPV collection and also the full 2008 RAW and Smackdown shows. I just finished the DVD's today and now i am going to say this 2008 was ONE of the best post attitude era years the WWE had. And this is why:

.The fueds were really good (HBK vs Jericho and Edge vs Undertaker to name a few)
.Top quality PPV's (Wrestlemania 24 to name one)
.Legit memorble moments (John Cena's return at RR08 and Jeff Hardy's swanton bomb)
.The weekly shows were most of the time very good.
.PG was not noticable and i know this because the forums back in 08 didnt have countless "PG SUXS" threads.
.2008 had a good mix of adult themes and kids themes like there was blood and there was also hornswoggle.

So what i want to know is do you think that 2008 was one of the best years of the WWE post attitude era (Not the best just one of them) and also why you agree or disagree.

I thought this year absolutely sucked.

To be fair, there were a few things I liked. The Undertaker/Edge feud, and HHH getting drafted to Smackdown, that was really it. HBK/Jericho is hailed as being awesome, I didn't personally enjoy it at all but I'll let that slide since just about everybody else disagrees with me on that.

There was just so much stuff that disappointed me in 2008. Going PG of course, Punk's disasterous first title reign, Kennedy got injured again, Jeff Hardy getting suspended right before he was supposed to get a huge push, Regal doing the same thing as Jeff, MVP turned face, I can go on.

You thought PG wasn't bad in 2008? I remember it differently. There was some edgy stuff like the HHH/Orton feud, but there was serious pathetic, 'PG' things - remember Cena's feud with JBL? When he wrote "JBL is poopy" on the limo I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Oh yeah, that was yet another great disappointment of 2008 WWE - Cena was supposed to be in a stable with Cryme Tyme and then he got injured like the next day so that never went through. I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway but at least it would have been something new.

I think of 2008 as the year the midcard died. I can see why you would like it, but I personally hated this year because everybody I liked was in the WWE midcard and this was not a good year for them. This was actually the last full year I watched WWE so I will say this, it wasn't half as bad as 2009 was.

2008 was the first time i went to watch wwe live and so it stands out for me because of the storylines at that event e.g. vladimir kozlov (he could have been a great heel by now)triple h and jeff hardy. plus the main event was undertaker vs jeff hardy in an extreme rules match (this match started my hatred for jeff because if he won then he would get a world championship match, but because he was against taker' i wanted taker to win because i had always wanted to see the tombstone and jeff took that away from me by winning *cough* with the help of kozlov *cough* - i was one of the only people in the crowd booing jeff and cheering taker') which shows how good the bookings were.

There was just so much stuff that disappointed me in 2008. Going PG of course, Punk's disasterous first title reign, Kennedy got injured again, Jeff Hardy getting suspended right before he was supposed to get a huge push, Regal doing the same thing as Jeff, MVP turned face, I can go on.

You thought PG wasn't bad in 2008? I remember it differently. There was some edgy stuff like the HHH/Orton feud, but there was serious pathetic, 'PG' things - remember Cena's feud with JBL? When he wrote "JBL is poopy" on the limo I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Oh yeah, that was yet another great disappointment of 2008 WWE - Cena was supposed to be in a stable with Cryme Tyme and then he got injured like the next day so that never went through. I probably wouldn't have liked it anyway but at least it would have been something new.

Ok i picked out the stuff i want to respond to. Lets start:

.MVP turned face in 2009

.HHH/Orton wasnt edgy unless you mean the one a year later?

.Jeff still got a HUGE push in 2008 leading to the title at the end of the year. Trust me when you go from facing MVP at the first half of 08 to main eventing Unforgiven,No mercy,Cyber Sunday and Armageddon is a HUGE push.

.The cryme tyme and cena stable did go through remember for a least a month and a bit. Not next day.

.Yeah i did say PG wasnt bad in 2008 because it wasnt noticeable we still had the blood the swearing and no matches were stopped for blood yeah so its not bad.

.JBL is poopy made me mad but come on we cant say "NO 2008 SUXS ITZ PG!!"

.Come on injury's didnt harm 2008 as much as you think. A year that did cause harm was 2007 at one time HBK, Undertaker, HHH, Rey Mysterio and Edge was out causing people like Khali to become the world champ now that is bad.

I think the year after was the best which was 2002

Actually half of the year 2001 wasnt Attitude and the InVasion angle was awesome as the first major storyline after it, but I'll go with a different year than it ended and say 2002

HBK returned

WrestleMania 18 (Hogan vs Rock was awesome)

the return of the nWo

HBK wins the World title

The Elimination Chamber was born

Eric Bischoff debuted in the WWE

Eric gave us HLA, I THINK, I'm not sure, in that year

He may have also introducted Raw Roulette that year

basic thing is coming of the year The Attitude Era ended, the WWE still had some Attitude left in it, which is why ppl confuse some of the transitional period years after it for being apart of what was only 4 years of the greatest Era in wrestling history and happened during The Monday Night Wars, undoubtedly the most popular time in wrestling (and the ratings says it all)

So 2002 is the year

2005 could come in a close 2nd with the ECW reunion alone and 2006 being the greatest year of the ECW brand, you had Kelly Kelly stripping, The Zombie, Sandman kicking ass weekly and Strip Poker as well as The New Breed (and Ariel!) I loved ECW in 2006 as a brand more so those years are my honorable mentions

Ok i picked out the stuff i want to respond to. Lets start:

.MVP turned face in 2009

The losing streak that started the face turn began in 2008.

.HHH/Orton wasnt edgy unless you mean the one a year later?

Is that the one where he broke into his house? If it is then yeah. I'm sorry if I got the years mixed up. Anyway I had listed the edginess of HHH/Orton as one of the few things I DID like so if that didn't actually take place in 2008, then there is even less I like about this year.

.Jeff still got a HUGE push in 2008 leading to the title at the end of the year. Trust me when you go from facing MVP at the first half of 08 to main eventing Unforgiven,No mercy,Cyber Sunday and Armageddon is a HUGE push.

I was talking about when he was supposed to win the MITB match. He may have gotten a push later on but I still remember when he got suspended right before WM and then all the Jeff hate started. Not that I'm a huge Jeff fan or anything, but had he not gotten suspended then he may have won MITB that year and the crappy Punk reign would have not happened.

.The cryme tyme and cena stable did go through remember for a least a month and a bit. Not next day.

Cryme Tyme came out with Cena for the Limo thing. Then Cena got injured. That was all that happened. Maybe it wasn't exactly 'the next day' but that 'stable' did get cut off because of an injury, there is no denying that

.Yeah i did say PG wasnt bad in 2008 because it wasnt noticeable we still had the blood the swearing and no matches were stopped for blood yeah so its not bad.

I agree it wasn't as bad. Well other than Hornswoggle. But even he was way worse in 2009.

.JBL is poopy made me mad but come on we cant say "NO 2008 SUXS ITZ PG!!"

Why can't we say that? Because some people with a lot of green rep on a wrestling forum told you you can't? I haven't been happy with the WWE since they turned PG, and I'm going to say it, I don't care if the regulars on a forum disagree with me.

.Come on injury's didnt harm 2008 as much as you think. A year that did cause harm was 2007 at one time HBK, Undertaker, HHH, Rey Mysterio and Edge was out causing people like Khali to become the world champ now that is bad.

No, I don't think Cena's injury caused that much harm. I don't even like Cena. I just thought it would have been interesting if the stable with Cryme Tyme lasted longer. As for Kennedy's injury, no it didn't cause much harm to the WWE but it did cause harm to his career which bothers me because I am a mark for him. Those were the only two injuries I listed. I wasn't trying to say that it was injuries that ruined 2008 for me - it was the general misfortune that a bunch of the midcard guys had.

And there is even something I completely left out about 2008: Mike Adamle. Even though I didn't think he was as bad as everybody said, he was terrible on commentary, he was terrible as a backstage interviewer, and then he completely disappointed everybody when it was announced he was the new GM of RAW. Again I actually liked the guy, but it was cringe-worthy to watch all the people berating him for his screw-ups.

2008 was a very good year in the WWE especially after the post Attitude Era,Wrestle XXIV is my favorite Wresltemania after X-7 and shouldn't this be in WWE not WWE vs TNA. Where did you get a collection of all the ppv's and shows from 2008? I want to get my hands on it.

I liked 2008. It started the reign of Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, HBK Jericho feud that lead to a great ladder match. Wrestlemania 24 was good.
AM I the only one that thought it was genius? Honestly, the kids love it and the adults probably chuckled a little bit. Don't see that too much nowadays
Again, I liked it.

2008 Was not a bad or good year for me. It was just ok, i did love the jericho HBK feud. Mania 24 was pretty good, but besides that i cant think of too many things about this year that would make it great for me, i am liking 2010 much more actually

2008 had some awesome elements to it, and some spectacularly shit moments along with it.

WM24 was NOT a good PPV imo. Sorry, but apart from Flair's retirement match, what was so great about it? Seriously? Anybody offer me an example.

The Taker/Edge match was overrated, the Mayweather/Show match was boring and once again helped to demean wrestling compared with actual sports, the Triple Threat was nothing to shout about other than the fact that Orton actually won, we had yet another squash match for a title between Kane and Chavo G, and Batista/Umaga was a terrible, terrible match. How can you people honestly say that this was a good Wm compared to the ones before and after it?

Personally i feel the Y2J/HBK fued was the best thing about the entire year, with the Edge/Taker fued a close second.

Cena's surprise return at the RR actually infuriated me more than anything else that year so I can't really say anything regarding that overall.

They made a decent attempt to push mid-carders like Regal, Punk, Kennedy and Jeff with only Jeff making it to the big time despite being the worst offender of the lot of them. Punk got there eventually, but only after his second win a year later when he turned heel at the same time. Otherwise his title run was a total waste of time.

The beginning of they year we were still suffering through the "Hornswoggle McMahon" storyline which was simply irritating to say the least.

Mike Adamle was given a microphone, and was then allowed to talk more and more frequently, causing more anger amongst fans.

The ECW belt went from gold to silver as soon as Mark Henry got it, telling everyone that it was second rate, as well as him.

Jericho's curse of being the transitional champ got worse thanks to John Cena getting a free title run just for recovering from yet another injury.

So yeah, i have to say i don't see what was so great about 2008, apart form literally 2 fueds.

The idea was to irritate JBL with their immaturity. I found it amusing. It was followed up by JBL slamming Cena against the limo and trying to drive a car against him, so I doubt it was too PG.

2008 had some awesome elements to it, and some spectacularly shit moments along with it.

WM24 was NOT a good PPV imo. Sorry, but apart from Flair's retirement match, what was so great about it? Seriously? Anybody offer me an example.

The Taker/Edge match was overrated, the Mayweather/Show match was boring and once again helped to demean wrestling compared with actual sports, the Triple Threat was nothing to shout about other than the fact that Orton actually won, we had yet another squash match for a title between Kane and Chavo G, and Batista/Umaga was a terrible, terrible match. How can you people honestly say that this was a good Wm compared to the ones before and after it?
The "25th Anniversary" of Wrestlemania came after it so the show looked a lot better in comparison.
Personally i feel the Y2J/HBK fued was the best thing about the entire year, with the Edge/Taker fued a close second.
Agreed.
Cena's surprise return at the RR actually infuriated me more than anything else that year so I can't really say anything regarding that overall.

I thought we were gonna have a longer vacation, but we were wrong. We were teased twice that year when he got injured and returned abut two months later. I'd say Cena was probably at his worst rig-wise.

So yeah, i have to say i don't see what was so great about 2008, apart form literally 2 fueds.
I think 2007 may have been better. Batista/Undertaker, CM Punk/John Morrison, HBK/Cena, Rated RKO, Cena/Orton, The birth of The Viper gimmick. Sure, Cena had the belt for over a year but at least he had some good matches.

I was talking about when he was supposed to win the MITB match. He may have gotten a push later on but I still remember when he got suspended right before WM and then all the Jeff hate started. Not that I'm a huge Jeff fan or anything, but had he not gotten suspended then he may have won MITB that year and the crappy Punk reign would have not happened.

Because Punk won that match we now know he was still going to wind up being the champ within a year as he was 2nd in line. At least the "Crappy" title regin made the WWE next year give him a heel title run. We could have had the face Punk title reign in 2009. And i dont think the title reign was bad it gave us some very good matches like Chris Jericho vs Punk on RAW.

Cryme Tyme came out with Cena for the Limo thing. Then Cena got injured. That was all that happened. Maybe it wasn't exactly 'the next day' but that 'stable' did get cut off because of an injury, there is no denying that.

The Cryme Tyme thing didnt look like it would be continued even if Cena was still there as Cena was hardly with Cryme Tyme in August he was mostly fueding with Batista and also chasing the title as Cena was susposed to be in the Unforgiven scramble match which would have started Cena's title chase which would have caused the stable to quietly fade out as it started to do back in the build up to SummerSlam 08.

Why can't we said that? Because some people with a lot of green rep on a wrestling forum told you you can't? I haven't been happy with the WWE since they turned PG, and I'm going to say it, I don't care if the regulars on a forum disagree with me.

I am not forcing you in anyway. I dont like PG to be honest and all i was trying to say was it wasnt bad in 08 because we still got the blood, swearing and violence while keeping it PG.

BTW on the "JBL Is Poopy" subject it lead to a pretty damn violent parking lot brawl which ended with Cena having blood pouring out his elbow. And i also did some research and that episode with the "JBL Is Poopy" thing was one of the last TV-14 episodes actually.

And there is even something I completely left out about 2008: Mike Adamle. Even though I didn't think he was as bad as everybody said, he was terrible on commentary, he was terrible as a backstage interviewer, and then he completely disappointed everybody when it was announced he was the new GM of RAW. Again I actually liked the guy, but it was cringe-worthy to watch all the people berating him for his screw-ups.

Forget people who say that because did they know that he has a illness which caused him to screw up. It's just been over the wrestling news websites just a few weeks ago. And like you said you didnt think it was bad but isnt that a good thing? And them people who called him are just normal wrestling fans who complain about every last thing.

Agreed but so does every WWE year.

Im not going to change your opinion but i still think its good because MITB, Triple threat, Undertaker/Edge, Flair/HBK were all good matches. The Taker match although might be overrated but it was still a very good match i think Taker/HBK WM25 is very overrated but its still a good match no doubt. The rest of the card was meh but so does most WM. I still think most other PPV's were good too like Summerslam 08.

Agreed.

They made a decent attempt to push mid-carders like Regal, Punk, Kennedy and Jeff with only Jeff making it to the big time despite being the worst offender of the lot of them. Punk got there eventually, but only after his second win a year later when he turned heel at the same time. Otherwise his title run was a total waste of time.

They did a good job in 2008 with the mid card and also with young talent in my opinion this was the year when the young guys started to get pushed and we got pushes out them that you mentioned and also Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger got very good pushes to add to the list. Regal messed it up for himself he was going to get a huge push and his "Crazy GM" Storyline was very good and he got so much heat for that makes you think what would have happened if he didnt get suspended.

The beginning of they year we were still suffering through the "Hornswoggle McMahon" storyline which was simply irritating to say the least.

Yeah it was bad but at least it was over by WM.

Mike Adamle was given a microphone, and was then allowed to talk more and more frequently, causing more anger amongst fans.

I didnt mind him but he should have been heel the heat would have been unbelivable.

The ECW belt went from gold to silver as soon as Mark Henry got it, telling everyone that it was second rate, as well as him.

Now this is something i didnt mind as it started the young guys get built up on ECW and get brought up to RAW or Smackdown which in the long run brought up wrestlers like Sheamus, Swagger, Bourne and also wrestlers who failed on RAW and Smackdown the first time getting a fresh start

Jericho's curse of being the transitional champ got worse thanks to John Cena getting a free title run just for recovering from yet another injury.

Although i agree that Cena didnt deserve it straight away but Jericho's title reign was good it freshened the HBK fued by adding a title to it and it caused the IWC to blow up because Jericho hasnt been champ since 2001 and sparked intrest again.

Like i mentioned in my first post and more:

.Good PPV's
.Good TV shows
.Young guys getting pushed
.Good storylines
.Good fueds
.Healthy mix of Adult and Children themes (Not too PG)
.It was a step up from 2007 which had the benoit incident, Main eventers getting injured, TV shows were not good, Young guys didnt get pushed as much.

Because Punk won that match we now know he was still going to wind up being the champ within a year as he was 2nd in line. At least the "Crappy" title regin made the WWE next year give him a heel title run. We could have had the face Punk title reign in 2009. And i dont think the title reign was bad it gave us some very good matches like Chris Jericho vs Punk on RAW.

The title reign made Punk look really, really weak. He was the first face to cash in the MITB in a heelish way. Then they basically made him the bitch of Batista and Kane every week. Wasn't the only maineventer he defeated cleanly, and not by countout, JBL?

I don't think that this would have happened in 2009 had it been avoided in 2008, I think they would have eventually used Jeff's drug problems to turn Punk heel anyway, because we all know how WWE loves to humiliate wrestlers who are leaving the company. Basically I think it would have turned out the same way.

Cryme Tyme came out with Cena for the Limo thing. Then Cena got injured. That was all that happened. Maybe it wasn't exactly 'the next day' but that 'stable' did get cut off because of an injury, there is no denying that.

The Cryme Tyme thing didnt look like it would be continued even if Cena was still there as Cena was hardly with Cryme Tyme in August he was mostly fueding with Batista and also chasing the title as Cena was susposed to be in the Unforgiven scramble match which would have started Cena's title chase which would have caused the stable to quietly fade out as it started to do back in the build up to SummerSlam 08.

We won't ever know what was supposed to happen with this stable, so I'll just drop this point.

Why can't we said that? Because some people with a lot of green rep on a wrestling forum told you you can't? I haven't been happy with the WWE since they turned PG, and I'm going to say it, I don't care if the regulars on a forum disagree with me.

I am not forcing you in anyway. I dont like PG to be honest and all i was trying to say was it wasnt bad in 08 because we still got the blood, swearing and violence while keeping it PG.

BTW on the "JBL Is Poopy" subject it lead to a pretty damn violent parking lot brawl which ended with Cena having blood pouring out his elbow. And i also did some research and that episode with the "JBL Is Poopy" thing was one of the last TV-14 episodes actually.

Okay since nobody else seems to have a problem with that thing I'll forget about it. I was only using it as an example of how it was becoming embarassing to watch WWE, at least for me. I could always bring up any of the countless Hornswoggle examples instead but I think you get what I'm saying.

Forget people who say that because did they know that he has a illness which caused him to screw up. It's just been over the wrestling news websites just a few weeks ago. And like you said you didnt think it was bad but isnt that a good thing? And them people who called him are just normal wrestling fans who complain about every last thing.

I know about the illness, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch an episode from 2008 where the entire crowd was booing him when he was trying to apologize for screwing up so much. Knowing that he had an illness just makes it kind of worse to see everybody giving him such a hard time.

And I know that it shouldn't matter what other fans think but this case was an exception - the crowds were so against him when he was trying his hardest, that it actually made me uncomfortable to watch him get so ridiculed. I felt guilty watching his segments and that's not how I want to feel when I'm watching RAW, you know what I mean?

I'd like to mention that there were a few things I didn't mention that were good - (isn't this the year when Londrick split up? Kendrick's heel gimmick may not have helped him stay in WWE for very long but he probably wouldn't have gotten into TNA without it) - but just that I personally was more turned off by the negatives than I was entertained by the positives. I can understand why other people would like this year as there were some good feuds but I can also understand why people would be unhappy with it.

The title reign made Punk look really, really weak. He was the first face to cash in the MITB in a heelish way. Then they basically made him the bitch of Batista and Kane every week. Wasn't the only maineventer he defeated cleanly, and not by countout, JBL?

I don't think that this would have happened in 2009 had it been avoided in 2008, I think they would have eventually used Jeff's drug problems to turn Punk heel anyway, because we all know how WWE loves to humiliate wrestlers who are leaving the company. Basically I think it would have turned out the same way.

I understand were your coming from there was sometimes when there was bad booking (when isnt there in any WWE year) but it brought out some good matches that we can agree on cant we and it could have happened in 2009 he would have cashed it on Orton and win the WWE title which would have caused the face regin.

I know about the illness, but that doesn't make it any easier to watch an episode from 2008 where the entire crowd was booing him when he was trying to apologize for screwing up so much. Knowing that he had an illness just makes it kind of worse to see everybody giving him such a hard time.

And I know that it shouldn't matter what other fans think but this case was an exception - the crowds were so against him when he was trying his hardest, that it actually made me uncomfortable to watch him get so ridiculed. I felt guilty watching his segments and that's not how I want to feel when I'm watching RAW, you know what I mean?

And again i understand. But not any of us knew about the illness so it caused the IWC to think he just sucks and didnt know anything about WWE but like you said he tried really hard and you can tell which is why i liked his GM run.

wow OMG u r absolutely rite 2008 was one of the worse years for WWE in my opinion. also thanks to 2008 i gave up wrestling wat irritates me the most was the transition from WWE TV_14 TO stupid TV PG Programing. if all u guys want to talk about good years in wrestlin after the post Attitude are these r the years. 2003(the best in smackdown had sikk ass matches and move diavas half naked <3 lol good storylines in all and a GREAT WRESTLEMANIA) 2006(Man this was a great year too LIVE SEX CELEBRATION too good and diavs half naked still.. Ecw Fans booin Cena too good even tho im a huge cena fan haha... CENA VS EDGE hell of a feud and of course the return of DX A GREAT YEAR IN ALL) 2005( it was an ok year rise of CENA AND BATISTA GREAT LAST YEAR EDDIE GAVE TO US ): RIP EDDIE ANd a sikk SMACKDOWN VS RAW FEUD) 2004(WM 20 a good one had good storylines) 2007(until the benoit death cuz after tht WWE went downhill!!!) (wow 2007 was a great year becuz of WM 23 it was so good juss look at the Ladder match and Cena Vs HBK it was good but from JULY 2007 to the end it was the down hill of WWE TV-14 too bad the last months of TV 14 were not tht good.) and yea 2008 THE WORST YEAR IN WWE AND THE WORST WRESTLEMANIA EVER THT I SEEN ... WRESTLEMANIA 24 WILL LIVE AS THE WORST WRESTLEMANIA I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

I can only think of three good things from 2008. ECWWE, it was the only good thing in the WWE during the whole year and allot of it was thanks to Miz and Morrison. Jeff Hardys struggle to the top was actually interesting and it annoyed me that HHH wouldn't go over back then (Glad he didn't now). Punk's first month as champion when Raw was just in chaos with no GM, it was great I mean people were just doing what ever they wanted with JBL trying to buy his way into things and what not, why did they end such a great month by putting Mike Adamle on screen. Raw was horrible during the rest of the year, Smackdown was just boring for the most part, only ECWWE was interesting week in and week out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back