• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestling's Greatest Stereotypes

George Michael

The Mayor of Marktown
In a Language and Power class I took first semester last year, we had to write a fifteen page research paper examining the connection between (surprise) language and power in a particular medium. Some chose to focus on tv commercials, others on how classic Disney animated features portrayed women. Trying to make this task favourable, I chose to do mine on professional wrestling and it's use of stereotypes. Searching academic journals I was able to gather 10 to 15 articles. For additional support (if necessary) I searched Google and came across this blog that made me laugh out loud.
Any more prominent stereotypes from wrestling that have been overlooked?

http://foodcourtlunch.com/?p=401

“Now That’s Just Wrong Right There…”: Wrestling’s Greatest Stereotypes

Ah, professional wrestling. I ask you: is there a better way for an impressionable young man to develop deep-seeded prejudices that will irreversibly shape the way he sees the world for the rest of his life? I think not.
Pro wrestling is different than most other forms of scripted entertainment in that it relies on live, visceral audience reaction to tell part of the story. And the linchpin to this reaction are the villains. After all, a bad guy isn’t a bad guy if no one is booing him, and a good guy isn’t a good guy if he doesn’t have a bad guy that everyone wants him to beat.
And if you (and when we say “you”, we are assuming you are a wrestling promoter) don’t want to take the trouble of “earning” your audience’s hatred through carefully planned storylines that lead to realistically evolving characters, well, there’s always the old P.T. Barnum adage (and we’re paraphrasing): “People hate Indians. Make the bad guy an Indian.”
On that note, below is our list of noteworthy wrestlers who relied most heavily on their cringe-inducing gimmicks to elicit crowd responses. If you ever screamed obscenities at one of these guys when you were thirteen or under, you are pardoned by the merciful hand of ignorance. If you were forty or over, well…we hear carbon monoxide poisoning is pretty painless.

Stereotype: The Evil Middle Easterner
Poster Child: The Iron Sheik

Summary: In November 1979, a group of Iranian university students stormed the U.S. embassy in Tehran and took 66 American citizens hostage. The Iran Hostage Crisis would last almost fifteen months, and end up costing the lives of eight U.S. soldiers. The National Wrestling Alliance’s response? The deliciously punny “Iron Sheik”, who hailed from Tehran, was vocally Muslim, sported a head scarf and boots with curled toes, and routinely questioned America’s manhood in interviews.
Insensitive? Yes. Blatantly racist? Prob Yes. But t’weren’t all bad - uber-patriot Hulk Hogan’s victory over the Sheik for the WWF title in 1983 would serve as a form of collective national release, gently alleviating swollen U.S. hate glands and ensuring that American-Iranian relations would never again become a serious international issue. As an added bonus, the Iron Sheik is, in actual fact, batshit insane.

Alternate Names Considered: The Camel-Fucker, the Rag-head from near Bagh-dad.

Stereotype: The Evil Russian
Poster Child: Nikolai Volkoff

Summary: Ah, the Cold War. Its lengthy duration, coupled with the lack of any actual direct military conflict between its participants, allowed it to comfortably permeate American consciousness to such an extent that it could serve as the basis for a sub-par Rocky sequel, a two-part episode of Head of the Class and Nikolai Volkoff without one person complaining that any of them were in bad taste.
Volkoff is best remembered as the physically imposing, if bumbling, tag team partner of the Iron Sheik. His signature move was demanding that the crowd rise and show proper respect as he sang the Russian national anthem before each of his matches (bonus: nice Chernobyl joke there, Vinnie Mac). This would prove a convenient opportunity for the live audience to express their frustrations with Soviet foreign policy, free from the oppressive shackles of “good taste”, “informed opinions” and “being able to distinguish reality from fiction.”
On that note, some free advice: if you have ever taken the trouble of sending a death threat to a professional wrestler, don’t have kids. If you already have kids, give them away.

Alternate Names Considered: The Stink-O Pink-O, The Commie-Czar.

Stereotype: The Whiny French-Canadian
Poster Children: The Quebecers

Summary: At the risk of gross over-simplification, a lot of the underlying tension between Francophone and Anglophone Canada boils down to this: French-Canadians feel that their distinct cultures and values are not legitimately recognized by the rest of the country, and the rest of Canada feels that French-Canadians are hyper-sensitive and expect preferential treatment. Missing the subtle nuances of this historical tension, Vince McMahon took a couple of French guys, named them after their home province, cast them as cowardly cheaters and, Voila! You’ve got yourself some instant heat there, monsieur!
The Quebecers would sometimes require that their matches be conducted under “Province of Quebec” Rules, which allowed a team to win the match by disqualification. For the non-initiated, this meant that a team could win by being so weasley and annoying that the other side would simply get fed up and hit them with chairs [Ed. Note: Sweet Jesus that looked painful!].
If you are scoring at home, as far as insults to the French go, the Quebecers ranked somewhere above Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, but somewhere below Pepe Le Pew.

Alternate Names Considered: The Fighting Frogs, The Fresh Peppers.

Stereotype: The Sneaky Oriental
Poster Child: Mr. Fuji

Summary: You’ve got to hand it to rasslin’ fans; them peoples know how to hold a grudge. Decades after Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, few characters draw immediate dislike quite like an evil Japanese man. The individual born Harry Fujiwara was actually Hawaiian, but c’mon, what’s the difference? Am I right people? Say, where are you going? And who are you calling?
Mr. Fuji was basically a rip-off of Oddjob from Goldfinger, and is likely best remembered for his habit of throwing salt in the ring. In traditional Japanese sumo wrestling, this is a means of inviting good luck and symbolizes purification of the spirit. In the WWF, this was a means of blinding your opponent.
A five-time WWF tag team champion and manager of such other “are you fuckin’ kidding me”s as Yokozuna, The Orient Express and Kamala (see below), Fuji was elected into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007. Speaking of which, what’s the difference between the WWE and Major League Baseball Halls of Fame? In the WWE, steroids help you get in. Hey-yyyoooooo!

Alternate Names Considered: Ol’ Short-Round, Godzilla’s Wang.

Stereotype: The Sexually Threatening Gay Guy
Poster Child: “Adorable” Adrian Adonis
Summary: Now, before any hardcores start getting all, “Adonis? Goldust, motherfucko!” on us, hear us out [Ed. note: wrestling nerd alert]: Goldust was actually a genuinely entertaining, (relatively) well-thought out character, who owed a large portion of his success to Dustin Runnel’s (again, relatively) strong acting skills. Adonis, on the other hand, was, um…not so much. You knew he was gay because he always wore pink, used lots of make-up and would flirt with his opponents. And if there is one thing a pure wrestling fan hates, it’s a gay. Which is ironic, considering the large majority are themselves closet homosexuals.

Alternate Names Considered: Fancy Pants, The Polish Smoker.

Stereotype: The Jive-Talking, African-American Pimp/Drug Dealer
Poster Child: Slick, the Doctor of Style
Summary: Look, we’re not going to sit here and pretend we didn’t love Slick. He was one of the funniest promo guys ever. And while the WWF never flat-out called him a pimp or a drug dealer, it was kind of implied by…you know what, just watch this video. Slick would later return to the WWF as a born-again Southern preacher man. In wrestling stereotype terms, we call that a “two’fer”.

Alternate Names Considered: Blackula, The Blunchblack of Blotre Blame.

Stereotype: The Savage Indian
Poster Child: Tatanka
Summary: To Vince McMahon’s credit, Tatanka started out as a good savage Indian. But it didn’t take long for the crowd to turn on the charismatically-challenged Chris Chavis, which led to him turning into a bad savage Indian (i.e. he dyed his hair black and started to cheat). Chavis was actually of Lumbee Native American descent, so you’d figure having him rain dance to the ring accompanied by a theme song beginning with “yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yi!” would be insult enough. But that gives short shrift to his feud with taxman Irwin R. Shyster (a.k.a. I.R.S. - get it?), that revolved around whether Tatanka’s Native American status afforded him special tax exemptions. You can’t make this stuff up, folks!
Alternate Names Considered: Chief Knock-a-Homa, The Indian that Gives’er.

Stereotype: Um…The Slave?
Poster Child: Virgil
Summary: Virgil was “The Million Dollar Man” Ted DiBiase’s “valet”. And by ”valet”, we mean “manservant”. And by “manservant”, we mean “human property”. He never spoke, carried DiBiase’s money for him and would invariably take beatings for Ted when he ran away from his opponents. Their relationship ended after Virgil became fed up with being ill-treated by his master employer, and hit him in the head with the very belt DiBiase whipped him with threw to the ground and ordered him to retrieve. We hear DiBiase is now a born-again Christian. Good for him.

Alternate Names Considered: Boy, Uppity Mike.

Stereotype: The African Headhunter
Poster Child: Kamala, the Ugandan Giant
Summary: To continue with the baseball comparisons, if racism in the WWE had its own Hall of Fame, Kamala would be Babe Ruth. He painted primitive symbols on his chest. He wore an African tribal mask and loincloth. He spoke wailing gibberish. He required a “handler” in Safari garb…say - anybody feel like a good cringe?

Alternate Names Considered: The Non-Threatening Cannibal, Mel Lastman’s Worst Nightmare.

You know what? Maybe we’re being too hard on pro wrestling. Maybe by confronting us with such ridiculous cartoon versions of hurtful stereotypes, they are actually allowing us to see how laughable these ignorant generalizations truly are. Maybe, in some bizarre twist, wrestling has actually fostered international and interracial cohesion. Maybe instead of ridiculing it, we should be thanking it for opening up our eyes, so that for the very first time, we can see that deep down, we’re not so different, you and me.
But then again…
I think I’m going to go wash the salt out of my eyes.

How about Eddie Guerrero? He was literally a walking stereotype of Hispanics. The "Lie, Cheat, Steal", lowriders, and Mamacitas.

There's also the stereotypical Italians in Santino Marella and the F.B.I.

The Snobby European - Hunter Hurst Helmsley, William Regal, Katie Lea/Paul Burchill (somewhat).

There's also the hillbilly, farmer, and trailer park sterotypes with Jesse/Festus, Trevor Murdoch, Hillbilly Jim, Jamie Noble/Nidia, The Godwinns.

Red Neck - Stone Cold and Jimmy Wang Yang.

The Anti-American Canadians - Bret Hart in the late 90's, Lance Storm, Christian and the Un-Americans, Team Canada in TNA/WCW.

When the Guerrero's were heels their theme was pretty racially insensitive. JBL took it up a notch though with some of the things he would say during his feud with Eddie. I was in disbelief on a weekly basis thinking 'Holy shit.. can he say that..?'.
Again though, playing into stereotypes with JBL being the rich, intolerant, conservative white guy. I transcribed a few of those promos in my paper, and some that Goldust cut when feuding with Razor Ramon.
Check this one out, about 44 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpcQkWglGVA&feature=related

I can't believe this hasnt been brought up yet. But in my opinon the worst sterotype wrestling ever had was the Nation of Domination. I mean how rediculous of a concept. There leaders name was Farooq Assaad. Their their whole concept was a black movement type group with pretty much every black wrestler in the WWE involved in that one faction. Foolish.

Also, the wild Samoan thing, every Samoan Wrestler has to be an insane native appearantly.

But you have to love the WWE and their underlying sterotypes, most of the time it is just implied... however still hilarious and ridiculous, most of the time.

When the Guerrero's were heels their theme was pretty racially insensitive. JBL took it up a notch though with some of the things he would say during his feud with Eddie. I was in disbelief on a weekly basis thinking 'Holy shit.. can he say that..?'.
Again though, playing into stereotypes with JBL being the rich, intolerant, conservative white guy. I transcribed a few of those promos in my paper, and some that Goldust cut when feuding with Razor Ramon.
Check this one out, about 44 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpcQ...e drew seriously good heat from that gimmick.

The greatest stereotype that has been round for the longest is the one that advertisings, tv exectutives, fellow people, the media etc is that wrestling fans are all hillbillies, who are too stupid to read and drive 15 year old pickup trucks.

Its true, thats why advertising will not buy into tv time(unless they aiming for a certain market) and the fact at one point was that wrestling autobiographies were not published because (this is great), the publishers tnhought grap fans were too stupid to read.

Keep your Hulk Hogans, Iron Sheiks and the like. The real stereotyping is against the fans!

Stereotypes are the easiest (and sometimes) laziest way for the WWE to book talent with basically no effort by themselves. They're used either for cheap heat or a cheap pop, however the audience usually gets tired of it quickly unless the person using that stereotype is just that damn good with their character or they add a new element or something to it. Unless those factors come into play, people will be generally confronted with something that they see on television and in their lives almost everyday, and they get bored....and who can blame them?

haha sterotypes thats ironic i was just going through youtube looking for the same type of thing. I found this guy on there named jalil salaam on the independents lol he plays an arab that owns all the oil its funny. heres a link to some of his stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GoDAutH6Lc

the other thing i used to find funny is that sometimes the fans play into sterotypes but have no clue like lol when the hart foundation wrestled the fabulous rougeau brothers the fans started chanting USA for the hart foundation just because the rougeaus were 'less american'. its like they had no idea the harts were from canada!

I'd say, one of the biggest stereotypes around now would be Cryme Tyme.
Do you even really need an explanation? Typical thugs, who go around and steal from everyone. That's not stereotypical or anything, not at all.

And that wasn't sarcasm.

I'd say they are right up there with the NOD gimmick. Seems like anytime they can't think of a gimmick for black wrestlers, they are instantly packaged as thugs or radicalist, case and point, the Nation of Domination. Saint said it best, it's the easiest and in most cases, laziest way to generate heat for someone.

Nowadays, that seems like the best way to debut someone. Bring them in with a cheap heat gimmick and then hope they can sustain their heat when the gimmick wears thin on the crowd.

Any more prominent stereotypes from wrestling that have been overlooked?

What about Mark Copani a.k.a Muhammed Hassan? Right there we have a very stereotypical view of a Muslim as a tea towl wearing, terrorist who the entire roster hated (2005 Royal Rumble, everyone stopped, waited for him to get in the ring and ganged up on him and threw him out).

That's got to be a very big stereotype that has been in wrestling.

Stereotype? Well, it really depends on what you mean by "greatest" stereotype. Greatest as in a well executed, entertaining stereotypical gimmick or greatest as in the most blatant, tasteless of stereotypes? In either case, I've got one of both.

Santino Marella's gimmick is one of those that shouldn't work. The Italian stereotype should, in this day and age, be more worn out than Paris Hilton after a night on the town, by all means. However, all it took was the talent of one man to resuscitate the Italian stereotype character - Anthony Carelli. He's just so into his character that you can't help but laugh at his Italian-accent joke. It's like Jim Carrey - just unexplainable comedic talent. "Jerry STUPID Lawler" shouldn't be funny, but he makes it so. I owe him thanks.

As for too politically incorrect stereotypical gimmicks, you've failed to mention Chavo Guerrero's Kerwin White gimmick. I don't know why the hell Chavo, being a good performer as he is, would lower himself to this utterly un-funny piece of crap gimmick? White man with golf shirts, denouncing his Mexican heritage? I just hated it from the start. Chavo deserved better, and so did we.

I don't think you even have to look to history to see stereotypes in wrestling. My flatmate leaves the room when Cryme Tyme come on because it is so stereotypical it is untrue, borderline racism.

Then there is Kofi, the always smiling, takes it easy Jamaican. His entrance music is reggae. I'm half expecting to see him in the ring smoking a joint and drinking coconut rum.

Santino is fully racist: he is putting on a bad Italian voice, he is a chauvanist and he thinks he's gorgeous. Again, short of coming down to the ring eating pasta, he couldn't be more of a stereotype.

Umaga is a savage from Samoa, and wears tribal attire, and shouts before he attacks people.

In TNA, whatever Daivari's character is called is a copy of Muhammed Hassan, and both of these are the stereotypical western view of a muslim. Daivari's character does 'cross the line' of stereotype to racism in my opinion.

There are more, but these are just the most obvious. To be honest though, stereotypes are the easiest way to create a character, but as I said, the promotions have to understand that there is a point at which it becomes racism.

Santino is fully racist: he is putting on a bad Italian voice, he is a chauvanist and he thinks he's gorgeous. Again, short of coming down to the ring eating pasta, he couldn't be more of a stereotype.

If I remember rightly, Santino is half Canadian/Half Italian. He is simply copying the way his family speak to him in English.

Yes it mgiht be racist to the minority, but to the majority, Italians included, its funny as hell.

In these PC orientated times, we need characters like this to break the politically ciorrect bullshit that we see every day.

I wrote a similar paper for a Sociology of Race class in the late 90's.

I mostly focused on the stereotype of the hyper-sexual black man - Mark Henry, aka Sexual Chocolate and The Godfather, aka cheap pop pimp.

I think Santino is a stereotype. He hopped a fence to get here, and is technically an illegal immigrant in the WWE Universe; he's not even a wrestler! His status as an illegal can still be brought into storytline. Everyone's always complaining about how bad he is as a wrestler, maybe he'll take wrestling classes (going back to him not being a wrestler.

I remember the first time I saw a Cryme Tyme promo I was like...."wow that'll never fly, way too racist and stereotypical". Complete with them mugging a white man on a street corner. Now, though I'm a huge fan and find them very entertaining, as they "steal" props from whatever heel they are feuding with at the time and try to sell it to the fans.

On another level, lets not forget the whole Super Crazy, Juventud and the third I can't remember, coming to the ring on...wait for it...RIDING MOWERS....unreal.

Outback Jack...derived from what Americans figured the typical Australian to be like: loud, mostly toothless, carrying a boomerang and saying things like "G'DAY".

Reacting to an earlier post about the true sterotyping being put on the fans, I can't agree more. The first time WWE came to the John Paul Jones arena here when it was built, the local newsrag said "Vince McMahon's traveling circus comes to town" and made reference to wrestling "lowering the social standard of the city"....but not an eyelash was batted with Larry The Cable Guy came, nor when the monster truck show comes around.

Ok I'm from Ireland and the really obvious one to me is Finlay!

1) Only Americans ever talk about leprechauns! Irish children don't even know what they are. Although Hornswoggle is a very common name over here... haha

2) I never even heard of a Shilleligh until Finlay produced one on TV!

3) His babyface music makes me cringe so much. (Shipping Up to Boston would be far better lol)

I dont take offence to it though, I think its really funny tbh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back