WrestleMania = Stadiums or Arenas?

The Rob

Telling me I'm invincible..
WrestleMania has been held in many different venues, that have varied from 16,000 seat arenas to 80,000 super-stadiums that have held events such as the Super Bowl. Now this isn't a question of which type of venue has held the better WrestleMania's in the past, what I'm asking is, in this day and age, which type of venue benefits WrestleMania the most. Both have their pros and cons.

With holding WrestleMania in a 20,000 seat arena (MSG, All-State Arena, Staples Centre etc), the experience for the 20,000 people in attendance is significantly better from an outsiders point of view. Even if your in the top row of the arena, you'll still have a much better view than you would being say less than half way up the stands in a stadium such as the Citrus Bowl. Also the smaller crowds can lead to better atmospheres (WrestleMania 22 being a fine example) due to everything being more crammed in when you compare it to WrestleMania's in stadiums. However, the bad side to holding a WrestleMania in an arena is that due to the limited space in comparison to a stadium, for me personally the event loses that immediate 'wow, look at all those people' factor you get when you first see the event on TV. Plus its so much harder to get tickets for an event that has a limited amount of tickets up for grabs whilst there are probably still a lot of tickets left for WrestleMania XXVII, which allows people from all over the world to travel and to experience a WrestleMania live.

Now, as for holding the event in a stadium, the pro's obviously are the huge amount of seats available to be purchased for the event. Plus WrestleMania's that are held in giant stadiums just look visually more impressive. The staging always looks brilliant, regardless of the design, simply because of it's scale. The stage for WrestleMania XXVI was fucking massive and I got that impression just from watching it on TV. I can only imagine what it must of been like live. The bad side to holding a WrestleMania in a stadium is that if you've paid all that money to go, and your right at the top of the stadium, chances are your gonna be pissed with the view, especially considering what you've paid to see (what happens in the ring) is actually fucking tiny in comparison to everything else. I suspect people start watching the big screens more than anything else. Plus, if the 70,000 people in attendance aren't fully into whats happening, the event can be dead silent, and theres no bigger way to kill any sort of momentum a match has than to have zero reaction from 70,000 people in attendance. From a TV viewers point of view, it just gives a bad impression. There have been exceptions (Hogan/Rock, Undertaker/Michaels I) but matches like HHH/Orton probably would of been better if the crowd actually gave a shit about it.

*Note to mods* I realise I might of put this thread in the wrong section, so if you feel this as well, do whatcha gotta do. :)

It'd be nice to see Wrestlemania in the UK dude. Maybe somewhere like; Wembley, Old Trafford, Twickenham, Murrayfield, Millenium Stadium, Aviva Stadium etc. All 75,000+

Plus we only get to see the WWE superstars like twice a year? And the atmosphere and noise is great then, imagine WRESTLEMANIA! crazy shit bro.

I'm kind of split on this one. On one hand, with stadiums, it gives Wrestlemania the feel of a huge, Super Bowl-like spectacle unlike any other pay-per-view event on the calendar. On the other hand, I think a few of the more recent Wrestlemania events have skated by on that "special look and feel" aspect alone. If I had to choose, I'd say stadiums for the uniqueness but at the same time, I appreciate good work to make that special feel even more memorable.

Yup I totally agree with the Wrestlemania-UK concept. I think it needs to be done and will be done in the future. I think they need to just do what they did before..split them up. Have some WMs in arenas and have some in large stadiums.

All I gotta say is I'm close to NY so hopefully WM 30 will come to NY and if that happens, I will be there for sure.

I was at WM 24 in the Citrus Bowl about 3/4 the way up in the Upper Deck...and my younger brothers/sister and my 6 year old little cuz..the ring might have looked a little small but I have been in worse seats in arenas. Everyone had a great time. The whole time we were switching back and forth between watching live(the ring) and watching the Big Screens..the whole crowd was hot for most of the matches...just hearing that many people chanting for there fav was awesome...Pyro like you never seen before...So by far for me I would say Stadium all the way..hands down. Cant wait for next year in Miami.

One of the big factors with the whole stadium thing is the ridiculous tarping they put over the ring in an outdoor venue. It undoubtedly obstructs the view for anyone up high, forcing them to watch the screens.

Thankfully this year and in years such as the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome), when you have a roof of some sort, be it retractable or not, you can still see alright since there is no covering. No different than watching a baseball or football game, per say.

One of the big factors with the whole stadium thing is the ridiculous tarping they put over the ring in an outdoor venue. It undoubtedly obstructs the view for anyone up high, forcing them to watch the screens.

Thankfully this year and in years such as the Rogers Centre (formerly SkyDome), when you have a roof of some sort, be it retractable or not, you can still see alright since there is no covering. No different than watching a baseball or football game, per say.

Had not one problem with where I was seated. One of the supports were kinda in the way but it didnt take away from the experience. Isnt really that big of a deal. Actually gave it kind of a unique fell.

Hey all, just wanted to give my two cents on this. I was at WM 22 in Chicago and WM 23 in Detroit, so I have experienced both scenarios. At WM 22, my seats were about ten rows from the top camera side... and I still felt really close. It was actually better than being on the floor (which I have been... but like thirty rows back for a Raw and couldn't see crap). The atmosphere for WM 22 was amazing... the crowd was so into it that it really got the adrenaline going fast. Now at WM 23, we had floor seats... but were back where the goal post would be... so we were decent ways back. This made it difficult to see a lot so we had to watch the screen more than I would have wished. The atmosphere in person just seemed really dead... I know Detroit crowds generally suck anyway... but this was bad. I know having a huge stadium like that... something that would feel like a major pop could feel mediocre. I feel that Wrestlemania's draw a lot better in a stadium (obviously)... but they sacrifice the crowd reaction (I feel that does get edited in for the DVD/blu-ray release).

I would like to see more of a mix of this happening. Every couple of years go to a smaller venue to get the crowd atmosphere going again... sure they might lose out on some money... but they generally charge a lot more for the smaller venue tickets anyway.

Just my two cents.

Vince has always considered WrestleMania to be his "Super Bowl", the BIG show of the year, and he wants it to be HUGE! Even non-wrestling fans know the word "WrestleMania". The bigger the crowd, the bigger the event in Vince's eyes. A stadium with 60,000 people looks more impressive than an arena with only 15,000 people in it, even before they started having the impressive staging.

Personally, I don't think pro wrestling lends itself to being in a huge stadium. It's hard to see the action in the ring and you spend most of the time looking at the TitanTron instead of the ring. If you're going to watch it on the screen the whole time, you might as well just stay home and order it on PPV and save money.

I personally love the huge stadium feel ... but I have been to an outdoor one and one at MSG ... and the MSG one definitely was better for the live experience.

For those at home, I think the wow factor of outdoors is pretty special.

All the talk of the UK Wrestlemania just won't fly by the way because of the time difference. The money is in the 7:00 p.m. and later time slot here in the U.S. and to hit that timeslot in the UK it would be 3:00 a.m. Just not gonna fly. There is a reason they have not done a Wrestlemania outside of the U.S. time zones and that is why.

The PPVs they have done in UK in the past were just to make some extra money in the UK and had no significance really in the states. I just do not see them doing a significant PPV that has to start at 1:00 in the afternoon in the states.

Arenas your going to get better noise and reaction however i love the look when they hold it in stadiums which leads me into a concept for Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania 29 since 28 is at Miami's Sun Life Stadium.

At Wrestlemania 29 I feel would be amazing to do something to the effect of Wrestlemania 2 how they held the event at 3 Locations New York Chicago and Los Angeles. My concept would be to hold wrestlemania at 3 venues in 3 countries a feat never attempeed before except for Live Aid

1. Wembley Stadium in London, England
2. Rogers Centre aka Skydome in Toronto, Canda
3. Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas

You can as they did at Wrestlemania 2 have each venue get a timeslot for the Wrestlemania or to go back and forth each venue with matches. You can place large screens to broadcast the other two venues for fans attending that specific venue to watch the other great matches.

Now here's a Dream Wrestlemania card of my displacement of present talent and possible matches to be held at venues

@ Wembley Stadium
1. Justin Gabriel vs Heath Slater vs Kofi Kingston vs Daniel Bryan vs Evan Bourne vs Cody Rhodes Scramble Match for #1 Contender's Match

2. Drew Mcintyre vs Sheamus Think the Irish Men vs The Scottsman can go over big in Wembley

3. Beth Phoenix vs Awsome Kong Divas Championship Match

4. Vince McMahon with Ezekial Jackson vs The Rock in No Disqualification Match

5. John Cena vs Triple H Hell in the Cell for WWE Championship if Triple H Retirement Match

@ The Rogers Centre
1. Trish Stratus vs Natalya Hart

2. Alberto Del Rio vs Sin Cara

3. Batista vs Wade Barrett Grudge Match

4. Ted Dibiase vs Christian Falls Count Anywhere Match

5. Chris Jericho vs CM Punk 30 Minute Iron Man Match

@ Cowboys Stadium
1. Kane vs Big Show vs Brodus Clay Triple Threat Stretcher/Ambulance Match

2. Kurt Angle vs Rey Mysterio Retirement Match

3. Dolph Ziggler vs Randy Orton

4. The Miz vs John Morrison Ladder Match for Intercontintal Title

5. Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker for World Heavyweight Championship 20-1 or 21-0

I enjoyed the Ford Field while watching Wrestlemania 23. Too bad the card didn't live up to the expectations, but sure. I wasn't a massive fan of the Citrus Bowl or Uni of Phoenix Stadium. I think it was more the color theme they went with both Mania's. I don't know why, I just don't like orange :lol:

Probably my favorite Mania loaction was Wrestlemania 19 from Safeco Field.

Just vary between, like they currently do. Wrestlemania 30 will probably be from MSG, they did WM 10 and 20 from there, so the pattern suggests every decade they do it from MSG.

Plus, if the 70,000 people in attendance aren't fully into whats happening, the event can be dead silent, and theres no bigger way to kill any sort of momentum a match has than to have zero reaction from 70,000 people in attendance. From a TV viewers point of view, it just gives a bad impression. There have been exceptions (Hogan/Rock, Undertaker/Michaels I) but matches like HHH/Orton probably would of been better if the crowd actually gave a shit about it.

YUP totally agree, out of all the magnificent stadiums wrestlemania has been held at there have been dissapointing crowd reactions as a viewer such as, the hhh and orton wrestlemania 25 match but also like you stated some of the standing ovatations for hogan and rock at wrestlemania 18 (60,00+), batista and taker wrestlemania 23 (80,000+), or hogan and andre the giant wrestlemania 3(90,000+) are pure GOLD!! With that being said i do like the whole look at all those people type of atmosphere but when u have the 20,000 people wrestlemania crowd or watever it gives me goosebumps to hear them start a chant and the massive pops! So I think wwe should go along the lines of wrestlemania 19 (50,000+) which was a field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back