Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart from WrestleMania X

Match
[YOUTUBE]A216xpgIQ_k[/YOUTUBE]
-------------------------------------------------
[YOUTUBE]0d8XhzMDAeQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
-------------------------------------------------
[YOUTUBE]n2z2m2AKBmM[/YOUTUBE]

The Questions I would like to ask about the match are:
  • Was the feud going into the match good?
  • Was the match entertaining?
  • Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)
  • Was there any good spots?
  • How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?
  • Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)

This was the perfect match. I loved everything about it. The story of little brother trying to escape the shadow of big brother was a simple one. It worked very well because there was a lot of truth in it. Owen had been hanging around the low mid card for a couple years and was kind of an afterthought in the WWF while Bret was winning championships and establishing himself as the top guy. The action from bell to bell was awesome. This may be my all time favorite match. The pace and flow of the match was perfect. The crowd was with them the whole way too. I love how Owen got the clean pin to escape Bret's shadow only to be pushed right back into it when Bret won the title at the end of the night. Owen's face told it all as he stood in the aisle looking on as the roster hoisted Bret up in celebration.

* Was the feud going into the match good?

The feud was very good as it actually had months of build towards it. It started at Survivor Series when Owen knocked into Bret by accident leading to Owen's elimination. Owen gets angry and demands a match with his older brother. Bret says he'll never fight Owen, and the two resolve their differences long enough to have a tag team championship match with The Quebecers at Royal Rumble 1994. Bret gets injured and loses the match, Owen kicks Bret in the leg, and we're off to the races with this feud.

* Was the match entertaining?

The match was damn entertaining. A technical wrestling fan's dream. Two brothers going at it with wrestling holds mixed in with some cheap shots, aerial maneuvers, and animosity. Anyone that says technical wrestling isn't entertaining should watch this match and then proceed to insert their foot in their mouth.

* Was there good story-telling? (Psychology)

There was excellent psychology in this match. Owen playing the part of the overlooked Hart trying at every opportunity to one up his brother and rub any momentum shift in his favor at his brother's face. Bret, the more experienced brother, playing the more cool, calm, and calculating of the two, trying to fend off his brother's momentum and angst. The other good psychology wrinkle is when Bret's leg is injured, mirroring back to the Royal Rumble. This allowed Owen to capitalize on the injury and work towards hurting his brother's "Achille's heel" at that moment.

* Was there any good spots?

The technical wrestling exchanges were great spots as were the exchanges of the Sharpshooter. The best spot was saved for the end with Owen's victory roll to get the clean pin an a shocking development at the time.

* How was the crowds reaction throughout this match?

The crowd reacted warmly to the match, staying into it the entire time. The eruption at the end tells the whole story as the crowd was not only into it but was shocked at Owen's victory.

* Length of match? (Was it too short? or too long?, could more time have been added to make the match better? etc.)

The match length was just right for this match. The match length would have hindered the match had it been longer. Likewise, if the match were shorter, it would have taken away something from the match. Owen and Bret exercised the amount of time in their match to the best possible outcome.

Verdict: In the end, this is one of WrestleMania's greatest matches, and it is WrestleMania's greatest opening contest by about a mile and a half. These two guys didn't need any props, gimmicks, or annoying commentators to put them over. They took their 20 minutes and made them eternal. The shame of the whole situation is that this match doesn't get its due respect, mostly by being overshadowed by what happened later that evening.

Everything about this match was great and done perfectly.

Owen had plenty of good moments in the ring and many achievements. But to me, this is his shining moment. He beat Bret clean and I think most people thought Bret would take this and then win the World Title later that night.

Though Bret did win the Title, this match helped push their feud along even more. Now Owen had a gripe that he defeated The Champion clean. This escalated their feud to even greater heights, but this is by far my favorite match between these 2, ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back