• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 27 Does 1 Million Buys

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Variety said:
WWE pins 1 million WrestleMania PPV buys
Enlisted stars scheme pays off
By Marc Graser

WrestleMania is WWE's single biggest moneymaker each year.
Helped by some heavy hype from Dwayne ''The Rock'' Johnson and ''Jersey Shore's'' Snooki, WWE has reached its goal of 1 million pay-per-view buys again for WrestleMania.

Although final numbers are still being tallied, this year's live four-hour event, hosted April 3, in Atlanta, is already up 30% in North America and up to 15% overseas, according to the company.

Last year's WrestleMania generated 885,000 orders, down from 960,000 in 2009.

WrestleMania is the company's single biggest moneymaker each year. Last year's PPV earned $19 million; ticket sales to the Phoenix show chalked up another $5.8 million. But that was down from previous years. In 2008, Orlando's 'Mania earned nearly $24 million from PPV buys and another $6 million in ticket sales.

The recession recently caused consumers to reconsider ponying up $50 for WWE's version of the Super Bowl, or save money by holding viewing parties, causing PPV buys to drop. Fans also complained storylines were weak leading up to the event.

Knowing WWE needed to drum up some excitement around this year's show, McMahon turned to some old friends.

In February, it brought back Johnson, who left the ring seven years ago as ''The Rock'' to pursue a film career. Johnson spent the weeks leading up to WrestleMania 27 appearing on WWE's ''Monday Night Raw,'' on USA Network, as part of an ongoing storyline, and toplining a series of ads across NBCUniversal's channels to hype his appearance at 'Mania as the show's first guest host.

Timing comes as Johnson was revving up to promote Universal's ''Fast Five,'' out today.

Company had also put ''Stone Cold'' Steve Austin, another former WWE star-turned thesp (he recently co-starred in ''The Expendables''), back in the ring for the big show. Austin is currently hosting USA's first WWE-produced reality show, ''Tough Enough.''

WWE even turned to enlist another reality star, Snooki, to involve her in another plotline over the several weeks on ''Raw'' that culminated in a match at 'Mania with former WWE diva Trish Stratus, also back for the first time in years.

WWE had hoped the return of some of its former stars (and still top draws when it comes to recent ratings) would speak not only to the company's core fanbase but attract a broader audience, and potential new fans.

But in addition to the guest stars, WWE also stepped up its promo machine, pairing up with major marketers like Kmart, having its athletes show up on magazine covers and series like USA's ''Burn Notice'' and ''Psych'' and TLC's ''Cake Boss,'' and talkshows like TBS' ''Conan,'' ABC's ''Jimmy Kimmel Live,'' as well as ''Access Hollywood Live'' and Nickelodeon's ''Kids' Choice Awards,'' among others.

WWE is already putting some marketing muscle behind the next event.

Johnson has already said ''The Rock'' will be back for WrestleMania 28, set for Miami's Sun Life Stadium, next year, where he will face off against one of WWE's other big stars, John Cena.

Marc Graser

I figured they'd do around one million buys this year just based off of all the hype going into the show, but it's still kind of shocking to see it actually confirmed.

Now the question becomes, what about next year? If this year did one million buys, no doubt about it next year will do more with the big Rock-Cena match headlining. We could see the biggest PPV buyrate in wrestling history next year.

Impressive stuff.

Great news. I guess it will just increase the next year with Rock/ Cena.

BTW, what is the biggest buyrate in wrestling history? I am asking about the exact number.

Great news. I guess it will just increase the next year with Rock/ Cena.

BTW, what is the biggest buyrate in wrestling history? I am asking about the exact number.

1.2 million for Wrestlemania 23 I believe.

Note that a "buyrate" is different from the number of buys. Older PPVs have done much larger buyrates, but not as many overall buys. Buyrate is only the percentage number of homes with PPV capabilities that ordered the show, so as more homes became capable of buying and watching PPVs over the years buyrates shrunk while buys actually increased.

I don't see why it's shocking for people that they pulled 1 million buys. It's not like they haven't done it before.

Because the past few Manias have done below a million and ratings haven't really been great for the most part.

I'm happy for WWE. Nice to see goals get achieved, and I thought the PPV wasn't that bad so yeah.

Wrestlemania 3 had a buyrate of 30 or something if I remember right. Granted pay per view was a very rare commodity to find in 1987.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a buy rate of 30 means that nearly 1/3 of people that had pay per view in 1987 bought Wrestlemania 3? I'm really not sure if that's how that works or not.

Swell. Expect 30 minute entrances next year for every single wrestler and expect a battle royal against the Jersey Shore cast.
Except TNA.

...Come on man you walked RIGHT into that one, you can't blame me.

Guess the collective few that don't hate, jinx it.

Think Rock/Austin caused the buyrate to go up without them it probably would have been low-mid 800,000

Swell. Expect 30 minute entrances next year for every single wrestler and expect a battle royal against the Jersey Shore cast.

And better wrestling than TNA's last three PPVs combined. The big Wrestlemania entrances thing has been going on for nearly ten years now and has never been a problem.

Guess the collective few that don't hate, jinx it.

It's more about TNA just having a completely inferior product really.

And better wrestling than TNA's last three PPVs combined. The big Wrestlemania entrances thing has been going on for nearly ten years now and has never been a problem.
Except when it leads to bumping matches out of the card, shorter matches that are on the card. You couldn't have been happy with Daniel Bryan being bumped in favor of all the fancy entrances and goofy backstage skits.

It's more about TNA just having a completely inferior product really.
Lockdown had 8 matches. Just like Wrestlemania. One was an hour longer and was scheduled to have 9 matches.

And one probably had 1,000,000 more buys on pay per view and 60,000 more in live attendance.

This isn't the first time a match has been bumped off a card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back