Wrestlemania: 24/7

Blueshirt

Occasional Pre-Show
After seeing the wild success of Hard Knocks and Capitals/Penguins: 24/7 and the various fight 24/7 shows on HBO, I began to think about whether or not the WWE should consider doing this.

In order to make this successful, however, the WWE could not toe the line between kayfabe and reality, the WWE would have to blow open the doors of the industry. TNA reaction was nice, but seriously, it always left me feeling unfulfilled because it was still in its essence kayfabe. In my opinion, there are several pros and cons to this idea. I'll first list the cons (because its always more fun to crap all over an idea first).

The first major con is completely destroying ANY resemblance of kayfabe in the industry. Would it really be worth killing kayfabe to bring in a few more PPV buys? The next con is it could severely damage the new PG rating. Anyone who watched Hard Knocks or Caps/Pens definitely learned some new and exciting ways to drop the f-bomb. Finally, aside from kayfabe, a 24/7 may be revealing the under belly of the industry. It may be showing practices that VKM doesn't want getting out to his stockholders and the public.

There are, however, several pros to this idea. The first being, it will increase buyrates. I have heard people who never watched a single game of hockey watch the Winter Classic because of 24/7. Giving a glimpse behind the curtain will hopefully raise interest for people who aren't traditional wrestling fans. The next pro is that it will give wrestling fans unprecedented access to both wrestler's lives and the creative process. Anyone who has seen Wrestling With Shadows knows how awesome it was to see Sunny playing with Bret Hart's kids and the aftermath of the screwjob. Additionally, who hasn't wanted to see the inside of a WWE creative meeting?

I guess the main issue is whether or not the pros outweigh the cons...So, WZ what do you think? Would you watch a Wrestlemania:24/7? Do you think it would get people to buy Wrestlemania? Do you think it would hurt the business more than help it? Do you think Vince would EVER agree to doing this?

I'm not familiar with either of the shows you mentionned but I can get a good picture from your description. It's common knowledge amongst those who don't watch proffessional wrestling that the sport is scripted or "fake" as they would have for their preferred idiom, and the general idea is to exploit that in the process bringing in those who are both regular followers of wrestling broadcasts and those not normally interested in anything associated with the proffession. I do find the idea quite intriguing.

But it does worry me somewhat. You see whilst I believe the success of the show would be relative and admirable, the success of the broadcasted wrestling shows themselves would like suffer in my opinion. For one, the WWE caters very heavily to young children, many of whom may not have previously known about the scripting of wrestling. If they happen to watch this show it may turn them off altogether. I also believe people might find it, conversely to some opinions, offputting to see their favorite superstars outside of the ring, outside of kayfabe. Compare it to meeting your hero, you put them upon such a pedestal that no matter how much they live up to your expectations, they can only meet them or fail to, never succeed them.

Now naturally there is always going to be a die-hard core of wrestling fans that wouldn't switch channels if Vince McMahon personally entertained them one night with the statement, "we hate the WWE Universe", but in any case. The question would, in my mind, have to be this then. Would the decline in ratings likely to come from the actual live broadcast side of the business be counter-acted by the increase in ratings that would come from this show? If the answer is yes then Mr. McMahon being the business man that he is would sign the deal within a heartbeat. But I'm not overly convinced, and it is something that I myself wouldn't be interested in seeing as it is simply too far beyond the mat to indulge my interest.

It is a very intriguing idea. I would like to continue suspending belief, but such a show would be damn near impossible to ignore (for me at least). I used to enjoy performers such as the Hardys and Hulk Hogan, but they have become much less appealing as the curtain has been drawn further back.

I don't think it could hurt WWE. In fact, what kind of wrestling fan would not want to watch a 24/7 WM marathon? However, we all know that Vince is all about him some PPV and isn't too fond of premium cable :(

While the idea seems good on the outside, I feel this would be a negative idea overall.

This would just expose a lot of a business that heavily relies on not only suspending belief, but also keeping some kayfabe intact. Even as one of the "internet marks", I still heavily enjoy my Monday and Thursday nights where I can just forget about the outside world for two hours and focus on not only good matches, but some stories.

Would it be fun to see some of the pre-match warmups and rituals of John Cena or Randy Orton? Or some of the locker room interactions between the boys? Or an all-access pass to the Diva's locker room? (Well that one would be on PPV after some X-rated films...). I'm sure that's a show that could be interesting for us internet marks who would salivate at the thought of seeing the WWE locker rooms for ourselves instead of just eagerly reading each report that we manage to see. However, perhaps it's just better to leave backstage alone. This also allows our favorite wrestlers to enjoy their down time and escape the PG environment without having to keep up appearances backstage for the cameras there.

I honestly LOVE the idea! I think this is great, and would be great for the fans who have been fans for years as well as an opportunity to bring in new fans. Let's face it, everyone knows wrestling's fake and scripted, but we still watch for the moment when reality is suspended and everything just seems to flow, albeit it fantasy-wise, naturally. This idea is brillant also because it gives the WWE a chance to allow access into the lives of their stars on their way to WrestleMania.

I think it should probably air the week or two before WrestleMania. It would draw very good ratings if plugged on Raw & Smackdown properly and the wrestler's themselves would be able to probably stay in character while discussing their upcoming matches. Wrestlers could be shown at home getting ready to travel, and fans could get a chance to hear wrestlers talk about their memories of past WrestleMania's they have been apart of and/or their favorite WrestleMania moment.

The possibilites are endless. I hope to see this, if not this year, then next year. Great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back