• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would the NWO been as succesful if it was a face Faction?

Matt7584

Occasional Pre-Show
Over time the NWO became cheered by the NWO fans on nitro. The outsiders were over and so was hogan. Would they have been more or less succesful than heel faction they were. fyi i am talking about the real NWO in WCW in the 90's

Tricky question. Orginially I was going to say no, because initally they were supposed to be the super heel group that made fans believe Vince McMahon was actually taking over WCW. I heard rumors that the 3rd man was SUPPOSED to be Bret Hart, and if that had actually happened, I think it would have turned out that the nWo indeed was to be and remain the super heel group.

I think fans liked to boo Hulk Hogan when he was a face because he was actually a face, but when he gave them reason to hate them, it's almost like a girlfriend who doesn't want you till somebody else wants you---basically, they started to like him when he gave them reason to hate them. Go figure. As luck would have it, the more the nWo got traction (and dare I say, the more they got oversized) the more they became chic and popular. I honestly believe they got as big as they were due (even in a small part) to Vince McMahon who created the conflict between he & Steve Austin and it made fans really get being the anti-establishment, whether it was in WCW or the WWF. The fans wanted to cheer the nWo. They gave the middle finger (not really like Steve Austin did) to tradition and did what they wanted to. Many fans lived vicarously through their antics every week, and even when Hogan became a bore & Kevin Nash started the Wolf Pac, they still cheered. But had they started out as a face group, it'd have bombed inside of three weeks. By the mid 90s fans knew of ECW, the way the WWF was handling things and WCW needed a way to combat all that. And the rest, as they say, is history.

To answer your question very simply no it would have not for the soul reason that the one thing that jump started the NWO was the heel turn of Hulk Hogan, it was the icing on the cake after seeing hall and nash dominate 3 maineventer like Luger, Sting, and Macho man, it was the swerve of all swerves and WCW at the time was very face/tweener heavy at the time before NWO the dungeon of doom where the heels of WCW

Can you say no chance in hell? They were «Invaders» from another promotion, there is no way they could have been face. Yes the crowd cheared them, but it was because they were cool at the time and people like cool things. You have to remember that the NWO was different from the cartoonish wrestlers they had in wrestling at the time (Shark, Kamala, Zodiac)

No. The point of the NWO was that they were "taking over WCW". They were the outside invaders, they HAD to be the heels. Fans liked them because they were cool, but the whole thing would have never worked with them as crowd-pandering faces.

Hell naw... Break yo'sef, fool!

Where would the controversy be had the nWo been a face faction? What reason would we have to hate them if they were faces? What would be the awe factor of a face faction? If a face faction jumped people and caused disturbances, then are they really faces?

Even Bin Laden feels that what he's doing is right, so are you talking about a heroes on both sides type thing? I don't understand. What would have been nWo's goals, how would they have reached their goals, by what means? Hell, Stone Cold was shooting birds at me while I was cheering him; would they have been anti-heroes like that?

Heeeeelllllllllllllpppppppppppppp

They would never have been as successful as a face group because what put them over was Hulk turning. Had they just had a super group with Hulk and they faced 3 heels it would have been cool to see hulk back for a day and that is about it. The group had the longevity it did because they were heels and people were waiting for the savior of WCW to come in and beat them (Sting). As for them being cheered after a while, that is bound to happen because people are just dying to cheer for the bad guy sometimes. Just because a segment of the audience cheers for them doesn't mean you gotta turn them face, or they should have been face to begin with. All you are doing then is switching the fans and the ones who cheered them will boo them and the ones who booed them will cheer them, same ratio of fans booing and cheering though at the end of the day.

Not a chance. The nWo was revolutionary only on the fact that they were heels. Hulk Hogan, the most recognizable name in wrestling turned heel, the whole wrestling world was upside down. It wouldn't have had the same effect if it was all about "saying your prayers and eating your vitamins," that's for sure. They might have had success, but it couldn't have been a lasting storyline. It wouldn't make for compelling television. If all the top guys band together as faces, that forces them to destroy guys who aren't quite on their level, possibly even turning guys heel, regardless of if they were ready or not. Another thing that made nWo so awesome was the fact that they were "taking over." A face faction wouldn't have done that.

The nWo wouldn't have been nearly as successful if they were faces. No doubt in my mind.

No, as someone already mentioned, the NWO served a purpose, to take over WCW. And somewhat to get Hogan over. But having WWF invaders get back at Vince to take over WCW was a classic move to start the Monday Night Wars, and kick WWF right in the butt with the ratings for 90 something weeks in a row. And also, Face gimmicks and Factions fade away and runs fresh out of ideas, while a heel gimmick is limitless especially with a sophmoric hostile takeover group like the NWO. C'mon how's a face group gonna have a guy who used to work Under The "Bad Guy" Moniker? Couldn't see it happening. 96-98 was the best years of the NWO. That NWO Hollywood and that time when Stevie Ray took over the NWO, was alot worst than the LWO gimmick. But The NWO did their thing though.

the nWo wouldn't have existed as a face faction. there would have been no way to bring hall and nash into wcw as babefaces that would have had the same impact. and wcw fans were already tired of hogan before the nWo formed. in order for this to work, someone else in wcw would have had to become a mega heel like the nWo were and then hall/nash/hogan could have been the saviours but there was no one in wcw at the time who could have done that. this was the taskmaster era - not exactly the type of heel they needed. and a babyface turn would have been very, very tough to pull off. in my mind, a face nWo would have fallen flat and been over in a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back