• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Sting Still be an Icon?

Mr_billy

Getting Noticed By Management
I'm just curious of everyones opinion if there would have been room for Sting at the top of Crockett Productions if Magnum TA did not have his car accident. He was on the fast track to stardom and was on his way to being a huge star. His accident left room at the top for Sting, does anyone else think his career would have been different if Magnum TA did not have his wreck.

I believe he would have still been a star, but not as huge as he is, just do to the longevity of careers back then, and TA's everyman was a perfect foil for Naitch. There was some great promo's between the two as Flair tried to get TA's goat. I also think his Career might have taken a different path, and we might have sen the Stinger in the WWE, or AWA, completely changing the wrestling landscape.

There is no doubt that Magnum already was a huge star and was on his way to being one of the greatest in the industry (at least, everything was in place for him to become just that).

As we all know, the wrestling industry has a strange way of making way for those who perhaps aren't deserving, whilst also placing hurdles in the way of those who have talent oozing from every pore.

Sting is class and was always set for big things. I think Magnum's accident clearly worked in Sting's advantage. But, eventually the class was going to show and his legacy today would be as big, regardless.

Sting would have been a star no matter what, the guy just oozes champion.

I think Magnum would have had a nice run in the late-80s, and possibly been a good upper mid-card in the early 90s but I honestly think that would have been it for him. I don't see Magnum reinventing himself in the same way Sting did in 1996, so I still see Sting as a stand-out megastar no matter what

Vince would have eventually snagged Magnum TA and taken him into the WWF just like almost every other star from that era of NWA (Flair, Luger, Arn, Tully, Road Warriors, etc). That would have left an opening for Sting to come in and shine. Or Vince could have snagged Sting and the Ultimate Warrior vs Hogan match could have easily been Sting vs Hogan. Anyways Sting would have eventually become the huge star he was because the guy just had "it" and was gonna be huge someday no matter what.

There's a saying that the cream will always rise to the top. You can't keep down great talent forever. Sting had terrific talent and once he added a bit more flashiness in his face paint and gear, he was set. Magnum TA's accident would not really have had any impact on Sting reaching success - in fact, I think it would have been positive as it would have helped Sting get over by making him side with TA or feud against him.

Regardless, Sting would always become the icon

I believe Sting still would have been a top star. He was always very talented and ended up having a great gimmick in the end.

I personally dont think Sting is an Icon though. An Icon is someone that even non wrestling fans know and I believe 75 percent of all people wouldnt even recognize sting without the face paint. Rock, Austin, Hogan .. Those are Icons.

I truly believe Sting would have been a big star either way he is extremely talented and like a poster above me said had a great gimmick in the end i believe he is an icon of this business just because of the fact that he carried WCW on his back for many years.

Magnum may have been on top for a little while, but Sting would have become what he was either way. When I was a kid he was my Hogan of WCW. He got huge crowd reactions everywhere he went, and you could tell he was going to be big. He may have even did a stint in WWE if Magnum would not have had his accident, and I think that would have raised his stock even more. So yeah I think Sting would still be an icon.

From the first time I saw Sting in a tag team match with Ultimate Warrior -- then known as Rock -- as his partner back in the old Mid-South Wrestling back in the early- to mid-80s, there was something special about him. He had a great look, amazing physique and showed early signs of stardom.

Had Magnum TA not had that tragic auto accident, Sting would still have become a champion -- and definitely a main eventer. It just might have taken a bit longer. Rather than being thrust very quickly into the World title picture, which led to some of those early classics against Flair, he would have received a more steady, classic build.

During those days in NWA, there was very defined a formula for how to create a superstar. Because of a sudden vaccuum within the main event -- Magnum TA was injured, Dusty Rhodes was aging out of the scene quickly and Nikita Koloff's wife got sick and he took time away -- Sting was tapped to step up. He did an amazing job, and he made the most of the opportunity. It was his work ethic, his willingness and ability to rise to the occasion and his pure charisma that made it a perfect storm.

I would argue Sting was destined for greatness from the beginning. Perhaps it came a bit more quickly than it would have otherwise, but I don't think there's anyone who would suggest it would not have happened had Magnum remained healthy and in the title hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back