• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Invader Zim Have Lasted Longer If It Wasn't A Kids Show

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
InvaderZimWthoutStripes.gif

After watching Invader Zim again after some time I began to wonder why it was cancelled, apparently it was a bit to mature for a kids programme. My question is would it have lasted longer if it had started out as a mature cartoon (in the vein of Futurama, Family Guy etc)

I think it would have fared better because people wouldn't have seen anything wrong with it as an adult cartoon allowing it to carry on.

I can't believe no one ever responded to this!

A "mature" cartoon is what this show was originally supposed to be. Jhonen Vasquez has such a twisted mind that I couldn't imagine how much better it would've ended up if he wasn't under pressure from Nickelodeon to make it kid-friendly. Still though, he managed to strike gold with this show, which is one I'd highly recommend for anyone.

i think if Adult Swim picked it up, it probably wouldve lasted longer, especially considering that adult swim loves cult classic shows. Though for some reason i think AS probably wouldve ended it in 2008 or something.

I freaking LOVE this show. Unfortunately it never had a chance in hell as long as it was on Nickelodeon. It is actually very tame when you comapre it to the creator's other works. I'm not familiar with them but I've been told by many people. Just thinking about this makes me want to go grab my box set and watch a few episodes. So many funny lines and exchanges between Zim and Gir.

It had this vibe and now has the cult following. I feel as though it was something that should have been geared towards teenagers (I was 13 when it came out so it made sense to me) more so than kids. It was a victim of its own genius and the creator's humor and general absurdity. If it ever got a reboot it would have to be on Comedy Central, Adult Swim or some network that caters to an older audience. Unfortunately it was a victim of Nickelodeon's child catering (which is what they do best so you can't knock them for it) and timing.

Maybe so, but I feel like the show, while hilarious, may have been too strange for its own good. Vasquez has an unusual sense of humor that I love, but that isn't very accessible to a lot of people. For example, Zim is a show I'd be apprehensive to suggest to someone unless I was pretty sure they'd like it, because otherwise they might just not get it. Besides, regardless of age, you kinda have to like quirky stuff in general to get into the show. Adult Swim, as someone above me suggested, seems like it'd be a great fit, and last I heard Vasquez has said he'd be willing to revive the series if he could. Nickelodeon, however, seem stubborn about not selling the rights to anyone, especially considering they seem to have no plans for a future revival. I guess we'll just have to enjoy what episodes have already been made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back