• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Brutus the Barber Beefcake work today?

Fuel The Fire

Getting Noticed By Management
I'm watching some of my old dvd's and this got me thinking.
Would some of these old wrestler gimmicks work today?

So, to start this topic off I was wondering on Brutus the Barber Beefcake.
wwf-brutus-beefcake.jpg

His Gimmick was that he would carry a giant pair of scissors to the ring with him and he would always try to cut the other guys hair off. In w.c.w he shaved off Hulk Hogan's fu manchu mustache.

During his WWF days he would have hair cut matches and always try to cut off his opponents hair.

He was a very entertaining wrestler and I enjoyed seeing him. Do you guys think that if he never existed before and just debuted today, would he be over with the crowd and would his gimmick work.

Part of the reason I wonder about this, is because in order for him to do his hair cut he would have to use the sleeper hold. We never see that move anymore and I dont think it is as affective as it use to be.

SO with that being said, what do you guys think. Would the beefcake's gimmick work out today, in this era of wrestling?

Obviously we couldn't have a wrestling barber like Brutus was, not in this new and less-cartoony era of wrestling, but his tactics could and are being used to great effect. A sleeper hold always gets the crowd excited or booing, and CM Punk seems to have adapted Brutus' head-shaving technique to great effect.

However, a character exactly like Brutus The Barber? Wouldn't work nowadays at all. Wrestling is far too realistic these days for a gimmick like this to be taken seriously.

When I was kid I was huge fan of his, he was very talented. Looking back now he had some of the weirdest ring gear in history. Only Zack Ryder's may be even weirder than that. But he wouldn't get over today back then he Hulk pushing for him and was big reason for his success.

I believe this gimmick like many others from old school WWE could work if adjusted towards todays style of wrestling and gimmicks. A face BB would probably not get over as much as an evil one who cuts the hair of faces and say joins CM Punk as his "official" barber. That would give him a good rub.

I really dont think they would try something like that nowadays. If there is one thing that has changed in a good way, in a bad era, its that most wrestlers fail because they are boring as people. No uniqueness in personality or pressance. Brutus never even went by Brutus after this part of the 80's cuz the people who hired him for his work knew that they caught lightning in a bottle with the Barber gimmick.

I do look back on that time fondly too.......but less than 5 years later, WcW knew better than to even try to rip it off. Still........The Barber was 10x bettter than the Booty Man (even with Kimberley).

I'll say this, and hope for the best from the Santino marks out there... if Santino Marella can find work, Brutus Beefcake can, too. Despite his absolutely absurd gimmick, he was also a WWF World Tag Team Champion with Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine. Beefcake was a great wrestler and used the Sleeper Hold as a finisher. He was sound technically. But man he was a joke as a character. Which is what Vince intended.

So yes, Brutus 'The Barber' Beefcake would work today in the WWE or TNA. Why? Great wrestler, very personable, and has a way to draw heat.

Got to think that no, Beefcake couldn't fit in at all in todays product. He is increadibly campy, over the top and just plain goofy. I attribute all of Brutus "The Barber" Beefcakes success on him being pals with Hogan. In fact, the only reason he managed to stay in the buisness for as long he did was through Hogan. I'm sure Beefcakes career would have ended after such shit as The Barber, The Booty Man or The Zodiac(I'm pretty sure he was the Zodiac, wasn't he?) but he always lingered around because he was Hogans good mate, eventually leading to him taking the only role that I really believe suited him....The Disciple! There at least we could see him for what he really was, just some bum who knew how to suck Hulks cock just the right way.

But whether or not the Barber could fit into either TNA or WWE today......I hope everyday that no, he does not. But considering the past, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ed "The Barber" Leslie showed up on Impact. It would make me physically ill, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Got to think that no, Beefcake couldn't fit in at all in todays product. He is increadibly campy, over the top and just plain goofy. I attribute all of Brutus "The Barber" Beefcakes success on him being pals with Hogan. In fact, the only reason he managed to stay in the buisness for as long he did was through Hogan. I'm sure Beefcakes career would have ended after such shit as The Barber, The Booty Man or The Zodiac(I'm pretty sure he was the Zodiac, wasn't he?) but he always lingered around because he was Hogans good mate, eventually leading to him taking the only role that I really believe suited him....The Disciple! There at least we could see him for what he really was, just some bum who knew how to suck Hulks cock just the right way.

But whether or not the Barber could fit into either TNA or WWE today......I hope everyday that no, he does not. But considering the past, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Ed "The Barber" Leslie showed up on Impact. It would make me physically ill, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It always amuses me when someone who wasn't even alive during the majority of the time being discussed tries to sound like an expert on why someone was popular during that era. Here's a clue junior: If you can't remember the 80s, you've got no business discussing the 80s. EDIT: This felt like too much of a blanket statement, so what I mean here is this: If you don't remember the 80s, and you can't be bothered to take the time to learn about the historical context of the product at that time, you've got no business discussing the 80s. Its easy to have an opinion about something when you don't know what you're talking about, very few people bother to do the research to make an informed post. For those that do, kudos to you. The guy I quoted above obviously did not.

Brutus Beefcake was a cartoon character during his run as "The Barber," but what everyone forgets is that he was a cartoon character in an organization filled with cartoon characters. He wasn't out-of-place, as he would be today, but rather fit in perfectly with the WWF of that era. His contemporaries included such legends as the Red Rooster, George "The Animal" Steele, and The Bushwhackers, to name just a few. Even less cartoonish characters were still over the top personalities, all the way down to the 80s icon himself, Hulk Hogan. Hell, Hogan was the star of a Saturday morning cartoon, and didn't have to change his personality a single bit to fit in...

For the era in which he worked, Beefcake was a great performer. He had a gimmick that was over with the fans, he had decent in-ring ability, he was good on the mic, and he had charisma. He was a solid mid-card face, and never tried to rise above that level. So, for the 80s, he was as good as it gets.

However, for his gimmick to work today, it would have to be completely re-imagined. Obviously, the exact character would not fit in today's wrestling scene. So the only real option would be a heel character as mentioned before. A face would have a hard time pulling this gimmick off these days.

The other big problem that you would run into now is that, in order for the gimmick to work, people would need to get their hair cut eventually. When Brutus was working the gimmick, a lot of his haircuts went to small-time jobbers that might never be seen on television again, or not for months at a time. This was during the days of the Iron Mike Sharpes and Steve Lombardis, guys who had the sole job of losing every single match without ever getting in more than one or two offensive moves.

Now, some might argue that there are still jobbers around today. After all, Evan Bourne and Kane rarely seem to win anymore. But in the 80s, 90% of the matches you saw on television would have one "Superstar" and one guy you had very likely never heard of before, and never would again. These were often local talent brought in for that one show. And these were the guys who usually got the haircuts. It wasn't often that Brutus actually managed to get the clippers on an established star.

In today's environment, however, you hardly ever see these types of jobbers. It is very, very rare, at least, and that means that this gimmick would have a very difficult time working. How seriously are you going to take a character who has the gimmick of cutting his opponents hair off if he never actually cuts any hair? Hell, even CM Punk in his current gimmick has only thus far shaved two heads.

As someone who grew up watching wrestling during the 80s, I am inclined to agree with Pyrusane. Back then, Brutus Beefcake's gimmick would not have been odd at all. He was just one of many wrestlers with a colorful, if not realistic, character to portray. There simply isn't as much room for the gimmick characters anymore. In the WWE, you have the Undertaker, although, awesome entrance aside, he doesn't really resemble the same character he did in 1990, Kane, (when was the last time Kane actually acted like Kane? Maybe Golddust, but thats more of a nostalgia thing, and he is a jobber anyway. If you look at the top stars in the WWE, most of them are either using a variation of their real name, playing a hyped up version of themselves, or at least someone "believable".

I do think a completely re-imagined version MIGHT work, if done right. It would have to be a heel character, someone who cuts the hair just to piss their victim off. Perhaps if Punk expanded the shaving thing, it could conceivably, conceptually work. (ignoring the hypocrisy of his having long hair, while shaving other people's, but maybe that would be the whole idea?)...but, I dunno. I am not going to stake my life on it.

While the cartoonish character probably wouldn't work today, someone who shaves the hair or cuts the hair of their opponents could quite easily function in the modern era. The sleeper may not be the most entertaining move in the world, but Dolph Ziggler has used it to beat Kane in 2010, so I don't think that it is completely unbelievable that someone could debut tomorrow and use it as a finisher.

For Brutus to workas exactly the same guy as he was, he'd most definitely be a lower carder. In all honesty though, Goldust has a job and so does Kung Fu Naki, Santino and Jimmy Wang Yang, all od whom have ridiculous comedic cartoony characters, so I don't see why he couldn't be a lower card guy in today's product. I guess we'll see when he inevitibly debuts on Impact!

Beefcake wouldn't work...at least I hope not or we might see him in tna very soon...

as for the gimmick...who's to say CM Punk's current trend of shaving heads is that much different from a modernized heel beefcake. Even edge called Punk a cross between Charles Manson and Brutus the Barber Beefcake.

As far as Leslie's worth goes, I don't think he was that great...just Hogan's best friend.

btw i think CM Punk has upped his count to 3 heads shaven...maybe more once/if Joey Mercury debuts.

It always amuses me when someone who wasn't even alive during the majority of the time being discussed tries to sound like an expert on why someone was popular during that era. Here's a clue junior: If you can't remember the 80s, you've got no business discussing the 80s. EDIT: This felt like too much of a blanket statement, so what I mean here is this: If you don't remember the 80s, and you can't be bothered to take the time to learn about the historical context of the product at that time, you've got no business discussing the 80s. Its easy to have an opinion about something when you don't know what you're talking about, very few people bother to do the research to make an informed post. For those that do, kudos to you. The guy I quoted above obviously did not.

Brutus Beefcake was a cartoon character during his run as "The Barber," but what everyone forgets is that he was a cartoon character in an organization filled with cartoon characters. He wasn't out-of-place, as he would be today, but rather fit in perfectly with the WWF of that era. His contemporaries included such legends as the Red Rooster, George "The Animal" Steele, and The Bushwhackers, to name just a few. Even less cartoonish characters were still over the top personalities, all the way down to the 80s icon himself, Hulk Hogan. Hell, Hogan was the star of a Saturday morning cartoon, and didn't have to change his personality a single bit to fit in...

For the era in which he worked, Beefcake was a great performer. He had a gimmick that was over with the fans, he had decent in-ring ability, he was good on the mic, and he had charisma. He was a solid mid-card face, and never tried to rise above that level. So, for the 80s, he was as good as it gets.

However, for his gimmick to work today, it would have to be completely re-imagined. Obviously, the exact character would not fit in today's wrestling scene. So the only real option would be a heel character as mentioned before. A face would have a hard time pulling this gimmick off these days.

The other big problem that you would run into now is that, in order for the gimmick to work, people would need to get their hair cut eventually. When Brutus was working the gimmick, a lot of his haircuts went to small-time jobbers that might never be seen on television again, or not for months at a time. This was during the days of the Iron Mike Sharpes and Steve Lombardis, guys who had the sole job of losing every single match without ever getting in more than one or two offensive moves.

Now, some might argue that there are still jobbers around today. After all, Evan Bourne and Kane rarely seem to win anymore. But in the 80s, 90% of the matches you saw on television would have one "Superstar" and one guy you had very likely never heard of before, and never would again. These were often local talent brought in for that one show. And these were the guys who usually got the haircuts. It wasn't often that Brutus actually managed to get the clippers on an established star.

In today's environment, however, you hardly ever see these types of jobbers. It is very, very rare, at least, and that means that this gimmick would have a very difficult time working. How seriously are you going to take a character who has the gimmick of cutting his opponents hair off if he never actually cuts any hair? Hell, even CM Punk in his current gimmick has only thus far shaved two heads.

exactly. watching wrestling as a kid.. yeah, once a month or so you'd get a saturday night's main event and a ppv every three months or so, but mostly you watched wrestling on saturday mornings after you watched cartoons. walk down the toy isle back then and you'd see ninja turtles, real ghostbusters, tranformers, g.i. joes, and wwf action figures.. all shows you would watch on saturday mornings.

Hey Gramps, not the thread nor my post has anything to do with whether or not Beefcake was popular during the 80's. The questioned asked is whether or not his gimmick would/could work in todays product. If you actually think that you could have a wrestler with the gimmick of a Barber in todays era then you should consider pulling your head out of your ass, where the 80's obviously never ended.

But here in the real world, we know that Brutus's entire career has been based around his freindship with Hogan. He started out as Hogans younger cousin, Dizzy Hogan, way before he was the Barber. Just because you have fond memories of sucking your mothers titty milk while watching Beefcake put a sleeperhold on some jobber doesn't mean shit. It certainly doesn't mean he could fit into todays product. The closest you could ever get is CM Punks current role, which is quite a long way away from dancing around the ring with a pair of shears and bow tie.

P.S. Despite the fact I was born in 1986, while you were jumping up and down in your living room cheering for a male stripper named Brutas Beefcake, there is this amazing thing we have in todays modern times called DVD. It allows those of us not blessed to have been alive during the good ol' days to see a window through time and see what you saw in the 80's. Yes, there were alot of cartoon characters running around WWF then. Yes, Hulk had a Saturday morning cartoon. Does that mean any of them could fit into todays product? I don't think so old timer. And that is what this thread is about. You somehow managed to end your post actually agreeing with me that no, he couldn't fit into todays scene. So what was the point of your old man rant? I'm assuming you were just a bit cranky because your mashed peas weren't made to your liking.

Hey Gramps, not the thread nor my post has anything to do with whether or not Beefcake was popular during the 80's. The questioned asked is whether or not his gimmick would/could work in todays product.

So apparently you are so illiterate that you are unable to even read your own posts. You wrote one sentence to say that you didn't believe he would fit into today's product, and paragraph and a half explaining why he was so terrible in your opinion during the era in which he actually wrestled, and ended with a rant about how you expect him to end up in TNA sooner or later. So, yeah, you spent the majority of your first post discussing the man's popularity during the 80s.

If you actually think that you could have a wrestler with the gimmick of a Barber in todays era then you should consider pulling your head out of your ass, where the 80's obviously never ended.

Funny, I'm fairly certain I said the gimmick wouldn't work in today's era, the way it did in the 80s. Let's see if you noticed that...

You somehow managed to end your post actually agreeing with me that no, he couldn't fit into todays scene.

Yep, you noticed it. Which makes the entire paragraph quoted above this one an absolute waste of space. I imagine you are used to being a waste of space though, so it probably just feels right.

But here in the real world, we know that Brutus's entire career has been based around his freindship with Hogan. He started out as Hogans younger cousin, Dizzy Hogan, way before he was the Barber. Just because you have fond memories of sucking your mothers titty milk while watching Beefcake put a sleeperhold on some jobber doesn't mean shit. It certainly doesn't mean he could fit into todays product. The closest you could ever get is CM Punks current role, which is quite a long way away from dancing around the ring with a pair of shears and bow tie.

See, this is where it starts to become obvious that you have the mental capacity of an empty coy pond. You basically just took my explanation of why he was popular in the 80s, and why he wouldn't work today, and tried to make it your own argument. Sure, you spiced it up with some sophomoric insults, but in the end, you're just regurgitating my own words and trying to make it appear that you're making an intelligent argument.

You were the one who went on the rant about Beefcake's 80s persona, and how it wouldn't work in today's environment. You furthered this by insinuating that he was only over because of his association with Hogan. I countered that argument by explaining why the gimmick worked in the time it was used, and why it wouldn't translate into today's environment. Trying to take my own argument and make it your own in a poor attempt at insulting me just shows a lack of creativity on your part.

P.S. Despite the fact I was born in 1986, while you were jumping up and down in your living room cheering for a male stripper named Brutas Beefcake, there is this amazing thing we have in todays modern times called DVD. It allows those of us not blessed to have been alive during the good ol' days to see a window through time and see what you saw in the 80's. Yes, there were alot of cartoon characters running around WWF then. Yes, Hulk had a Saturday morning cartoon. Does that mean any of them could fit into todays product? I don't think so old timer. And that is what this thread is about.

Actually, no. This thread is not about whether you could take that 80s character and drop him into today's product exactly as he was then and get him over. You seem to think the OP was asking if you could take the exact man, all the way down to the technicolor ring gear with the fishnet cutouts and the mullet, and make it work...lets check in with the original post...

His Gimmick was that he would carry a giant pair of scissors to the ring with him and he would always try to cut the other guys hair off.
During his WWF days he would have hair cut matches and always try to cut off his opponents hair.
Part of the reason I wonder about this, is because in order for him to do his hair cut he would have to use the sleeper hold. We never see that move anymore and I dont think it is as affective as it use to be.
SO with that being said, what do you guys think. Would the beefcake's gimmick work out today, in this era of wrestling?

So, what I gather from this is that the hair-cutting (and the need to use the sleeper first) is more important to the question than the look, or possibly even the man using the gimmick. Yet you took the question into a totally different realm, and decided to make it into a rant about how terrible Beefcake was during the era in which he was popular. And you accuse me of going off-topic...:lmao:

So what was the point of your old man rant? I'm assuming you were just a bit cranky because your mashed peas weren't made to your liking.

Ah, jokes about being an old man. I suppose that with your obvious limitations, that was all you really had to work with. It's OK, really, I won't hold it against you. I don't care if you lick windows, take the special bus, or occasionally pee yourself...you hang in there sunshine, you're freaking special...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back