• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Bret Hart Make A Good Member of the Creative Team?

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
We all know Bret Hart is one of the best 'wrestlers' ever. He could tell a story in the ring and had some great ideas like the skit he did with Goldberg (spear on to a metal plate), ladder match and a few others he takes credit for. He is also very creative with his drawings and also a very good writer (his book was awesome).

Creative team at the moment is just horrible. Ok, maybe Vince is to blame for alot of that but surely it needs freshening up and the soap opera writers and dinosuars like Michael Hayes need to go?

Would someone like Bret Hart who knows and understands the business make a good addition to creative?

Maybe he'd be good, but who really knows until you see him function in the job? Just because a person has had tons of history in the wrestling business as a performer doesn't prove his experience would translate to success in the creative process.

One example of this in sports is Michael Jordan. Because he was a terrific player, many people presumed he'd be a raging success in team management and ownership. Of course, that turned out to be not true and many folks wondered how they ever thought otherwise after seeing him in the job.

Closer to home, we have Hulk Hogan. His obnoxious statements a while back about his having "taught the wrestling business" to Vince McMahon were as full of hot air as Hogan's usual pronouncements. He's shown that, while he has some notion how to promote himself, he doesn't know enough to dictate how a whole wrestling company should be run. For one thing, his ideas are too "80's" and in many respects, it isn't really surprising that they would be.

The same might apply to Bret Hart. Remember, he despised the way WWE was being run at the end of his first tenure with the organization. He wanted more family-type programming and less of the "dirty" stuff that marked the Attitude Era. In other words, he didn't want to change with the times...... and how would that go over if he were working on the Creative team?

Maybe Bret would be great; who can say? It would take him sitting down with McMahon and whomever else in the company makes hiring decisions, so they could determine what Bret knows and thinks about the business as it exists today......and his vision for the future.

Maybe he'd be good, but who really knows until you see him function in the job? Just because a person has had tons of history in the wrestling business as a performer doesn't prove his experience would translate to success in the creative process.

If you had read Brets book, you would see he had been a booker for a while when he was younger and I think that he would suit the job perfectly. Im sure he would have some good ideas to share with vince and HHH backstage and would help to imrpove the company, but wed have to wait and see about that I guess. He could be given time to prove himself and we can see if it's any good, which I think it would be.

Bret Hart has never really shown any eptitude for the creative side. I sum this up just from the interviews that I've listened to and read. He never really talked about angle and ideas that he would have done. He always talks about the technical side.

He would be more suited as an agent who lays out the matches and go homes, ala Pat Patterson. In a role like that, he would be very compitent. Bret has always had a great mind for ring pychology and fan reactions.

I just don't see him being able to do the grind of help writing show after show. You have to remember, its not like wrestling writers get months to write shows, they are doing 50 Raw's every year. Year after year. I remember a Paul Heyman interview, talking about his time writing smackdown, how he would sometimes spend a 100 hours a week writing, rewriting, and many times re-rewriting smackdown. Not only does it take alot of time, but it has to be good, it has to make sense for that week and in the future months and year.

When i think of someone who would be (and was) great on a creative team it's someone like Paul Heyman, not Bret Hart.

With his great experience, Bret Hart would be a great addition to the creative team.

Bret Hart definitely knows wrestling and how to be creative in it. He can give a good old school feeling to today's product. Bret Hart has a very, very good mind for wrestling. And I would love for him to be a part of the WWE's creative team.

If there's one reason why I think Bret would make a great addition to creative, it's because he would never come up with some bullshit involving Hornswoggle burying good talent. I think Bret would know just what to do with all the wrestlers. The guy has a lot of experience and the creative team can use someone like him.

And, considering Bret is in such good terms with the WWE, I can totally see this happening. And I really hope it does happen sometime.

I think having a legend like Hart on the road as an agent to keep the youngsters in line would be okay but im not so sure he would make the best creative person. Then again maybe with his Technical style he would push for more talented wrestlers to get pushed and not take back seats to people who do four moves and speak well on a microphone. We dont need to see any more Benoit's after all. Prior to him being completely erased from history a technician in the ring like Benoit having to wait as long as he did for the title was horse shit.

Might just be my lone opinion but i care more about wrestling then i do promo skills. if i wanted awesome promo skills id watch stand up comedy. i watch wrestling to see good back and forth matches Sadly those are rare now days aside from a select few(Angle,Jericho,Punk,Bryan to name a few)

No, but he would make one of the best agents you could possibly hope for, hes hardwired for the technical stuff rather than the creative.

totally agree with the comment comparing him to pat patterson.. the job of a an agent on the road helping structure matches is perfectly suited for Bret.. i just dont think Bret himself wants to be on the road every week.. / the current regime is not too keen on bringin in an old school mind unless said mind was willing to accept the new methods & style...

but i think it comes down to the travel, bret has made clear he has no desire to be at 4 house shows a week, every week.. all year..

its a shame.. oh what could have been...

I think he woud be better suited as an agent too. However, I would love to see Bret become more involved with WWE in any aspect. If people think he has the chops to work for creative, I say have at it. After all, the storylines couldn't be much worse than they already are.

Bret Hart is a perfect example of the types of individuals they need to add to the creative team. I think he would make an excellent addition to the creative team if they added him because he, having a legendary career of his own, knows what it takes to succeed in pro wrestling. He can provide insight into what types of guys should be getting the right pushes. Why stop at Hart? I say bring in a team of legends to help the writers. The legends wouldn't be enough, they obviously need the official writers, but guys like Hart would be a HUGE help in the creative process and I'd fully support the idea of him joining the team.

Replacement for Patterson when he finally calls it a day? Hell yeah...laying matches out and "telling a story in the ring" to a main event level is what Bret excelled at...He could sure help someone like Alberto Del Rio or Jack Swagger to move that level up in the ring.

As for creative? Nah, don't really see Bret fitting into that position...Chris Jericho or Shawn Michaels I could see working creative (if they felt like it) but not Bret

On one hand I am passionate about the idea that WWE needs more wrestling-minded people in creative control. When you're only churning out a small handful of interesting things in 4-7 hours of product ever week, the creative team is high up there on the "to blame" list. Too many people are booked and built exactly the same, and it's making for some very boring television, in my opinion.

On the other hand, Bret wasn't exactly known for his promo work or storytelling OUTSIDE of the ring. When he was, it was because he was working with guys like Shawn Michaels or even his brother Owen. Fantastic wrestler, one of the greats of all time...but would he even function in a creative capacity?

I'd like to think he has enough knowledge for the industry that he could do the job well, but I'd also like to think there are other guys out there that could do it better. I do advocate for bringing in writers from other television shows, but you have to look at the material being presented in those shows. A sitcom writer is used to writing completely episodic TV with very little substance. No good. Too often soap opera writers recycle the same exact ideas for decades, and put too much drama where it's not needed, failing to focus on the important aspects of the product. No good. What they need are people who can tell a great story over time.

There's a reason Jericho/HBK 2008 was so damn good...both have amazing creative minds for the business, and were allowed to work out their entire program. I honestly think they just need better wrestlers with that mentality, not more creative people. But would Hart make a decent member of creative...? I think he could do the job, but others could do it better. Final answer.

I personally think he would and I think someone of his mindset would be a great addition to WWE's creative team, however I think Bret's tutelage would be lost upon what the corporate side of things wants to do for the WWE product. Sad too, because when you consider how awesome Bret was in the ring and how he could just tell a story with his gestures and moves so many great talents could benefit from someone of his caliber showing them the more subtle nuances of performance.

But sadly WWE I think would find someone like Bret to undermine their business strategy I think the same can be said for TNA. Ring Of Honor would probably be a better place for Bret to showcase his gifts to younger talents if he were to become a member of some creative team.

In an ideal world I'd already have Bret Hart signed, sealed and delivered as part of the WWE creative team but alas that is only a fan's wet dream and nothing more.

The reality is that Bret is what is left of the generation that they are crying tears of blood for right now... The guys who could have made a difference were guys like Rude, Chris Benoit, Hennig, Eddie Gilbert and Jake Roberts... long lost to the business. Bret's contribution was The Hart Dynasty... he gave them the rub, and it didn't work long term... but for 6 months they were in the top 3 things on WWE TV... but even those guys would struggle in Vince's WWE. In Triple H's though? That would be good!

Bret is a good guy to bring in from time to time even if he isn't on camera, talk to the new guys and to scout at FCW. I don't really see him as an agent, cos he always admitted Pat Patterson helped him a lot when he had to lay a match out. Guys like Steamboat and DiBiase were far more suited to the agent role... If you want a new agent... get Finlay back!

Idk if he would I like to think so but I just feel he would clash with vince on ppl he sees as true stars vs what vince thinks of. I feel like he'd be pushing the better wrestlers and vince would want 'entertainers' ya kno?

I AM a huge Bret Hart fan, but fact is Bret Hart only ever devised good ideas that got himself over. Sure the Goldberg spear idea was great, but it was placing him into the spot to be the guy to finally dominate Goldberg. We all know why the feud never took off and subsequently wrecked later in in 1999. Bret Hart has the business in his blood and would be a great asset to the young guys, provided he checked his own ego at the door

I think he would make a great addition, sure we havent seen him do the job but considering his experience in the business and the company I could see him being an excellent addition to the creative team. I would have faith that based on his knowledge of the game and his perspective being a former successful superstar that he would know how to give us good stories, he was able to do so in the ring for years so I would imagine he could put that on paper for other superstars as well. I also think his knowledge of current superstars would help him set up good storylines with certain people, he knows who would mesh well for not only good matches but good feuds. We really wouldn't know until we actually had him with creative for a while but I think just going off what he knows about the business he would be damn good.

I don't know that he would be good on the creative end and here's why. Bret Hart is a very very old school guy. A lot of the true old school guys had a very unwavering idea of how wrestling should be booked, written, and presented. My concern would be that Bret would want to apply that formula to today's product which is vastly different and might not be adaptable to that formula. A lot of the old school guys have a very simplistic approach to it and think that as long as you stick to A, B, and C you have a recipe for success. History however, shows that those ideas were flawed and they failed as a lot of those companies folded because they refused to evolve, adapt, and grow with technology, a lot of them were mismanaged both financially and structurally, and the example is there to show that there is far more to making a successful wrestling product than the simple A,B,C method many of them held so dear.

You hear all the time from these guys that wrestling and it's storylines should revolve solely around the titles and that's what every feud should be about. The problem with that though, is that you basically end up with the same damn story line every time, just with different centerpieces and that does not work anymore. It takes more to captivate an audience now days, there has to be more to that story than "Your got the belt, I want it, you're a good guy, I'm a bad guy, vice versa". I think he would want to take things backwards unfortunately and for that reason, if that were the case, I don't think he would fit well in there. Let Bret book the actual match and plan it all out with guys, but keep him away from actually developing the story lines.

He has been a part of the business for most of his life. I think he'd be a lot better than most of the people are thinking. I believe he can help work with the talent improving their in-ring work. I think he could improve on the booking. The problem is, I don't think he'd really want the headaches of working with McMahon and the regime whose in charge. Many creative people have been there and their ideas never used because Vince vetoed it for something better and a number of times for something far worse. He might be great but the truth is he'd have to deal with McMahon and it might not be worth it.

I am going to elaborate a little on something Mustang Sally was alluding to. Just because you have been a wrestler for a long time doesn't mean you will be any good at booking. It's no different than a HOF football player not necessarily being a good coach, while a scrub on the field sometimes transitions into a highly successful one. Well known/respected actors sometimes become respected directors...some don't. Not every actor/turned director can be Ron Howard or Clint Eastwood. Sometimes you get a William Shatner. I say that with all kinds of love for Shatner, the man is one of my all time favorite human beings ever...but his directing of that terrible piece of shit Star Trek V film was sheer crap.

They are two different skill sets, success in one does not guarantee any success in the other, nor does failing one guarantee failing in the other either. I don't know what kind of mind Bret Hart has for the business. As a wrestler, did he point out up and coming talent to management? Did he make suggestions for any storyline that didn't directly involve himself? How interested was he in the backstage stuff while he was a performer? We know that HHH has always been involved in the backstage stuff, but what about Bret?

Someone once said "the best wrestling needs to at least pretend to be real"

That person was Bret Hart.

If anyone here's ever read his book, you'll know that he used to be the booker for Stampede Wrestling, and only lost the book because he was making regular tours of Japan, and couldn't be around to do the job on a regular basis.

You'll also know that he prided himself on how organized he was when he was booker, and how much he felt the boys in the back appreciated him as booker.

So for everyone in this thread that questions if he can do the job, this is a job he's already done.

How would he be at it in 2011 in an environment as micromanaged as the one the McMahon's have created? Probably not as good as he could if he was given free reign.

Stephanie McMahon loves her screen writers. It really doesn't matter that these guys rarely have any experience in wrestling... they might have wrote an episode of Malcolm in the Middle before, and that's what's really important.

The thing with her screen writers, is if they are successful ones, they have no reason to work for the WWE, so the ones McMahon gets aren't ever that great.

They absolutely need more of a wrestling perspective on the creative team, and Hart would be a fantastic choice. But he'd be stifled, and since he isn't a guy that NEEDS to work in the type of environment he'd be subjected to, there's no reason for him to bother.

He'd be fantastic though. The ladder match? Thank Bret Hart for that one, because he's the guy that brought the concept to Vince in the first place. The tag team division? He actually understands the importance of it. Match structure? Few know how to put a match together better than he does. Finishes? He's forgotten more than most guys ever will know. The little subtleties that can make a good moment great? Again, he understands that.

I'd think if he was on the creative team, and was allowed to do what he wanted, we'd see less of the suspension of disbelief breaking backstage vignettes, and we'd see a grittier, more realistic product, with more logic infused into it, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Someone once said "the best wrestling needs to at least pretend to be real"

That person was Bret Hart.

If anyone here's ever read his book, you'll know that he used to be the booker for Stampede Wrestling, and only lost the book because he was making regular tours of Japan, and couldn't be around to do the job on a regular basis.

You'll also know that he prided himself on how organized he was when he was booker, and how much he felt the boys in the back appreciated him as booker.

So for everyone in this thread that questions if he can do the job, this is a job he's already done.

How would he be at it in 2011 in an environment as micromanaged as the one the McMahon's have created? Probably not as good as he could if he was given free reign.

Stephanie McMahon loves her screen writers. It really doesn't matter that these guys rarely have any experience in wrestling... they might have wrote an episode of Malcolm in the Middle before, and that's what's really important.

The thing with her screen writers, is if they are successful ones, they have no reason to work for the WWE, so the ones McMahon gets aren't ever that great.

They absolutely need more of a wrestling perspective on the creative team, and Hart would be a fantastic choice. But he'd be stifled, and since he isn't a guy that NEEDS to work in the type of environment he'd be subjected to, there's no reason for him to bother.

He'd be fantastic though. The ladder match? Thank Bret Hart for that one, because he's the guy that brought the concept to Vince in the first place. The tag team division? He actually understands the importance of it. Match structure? Few know how to put a match together better than he does. Finishes? He's forgotten more than most guys ever will know. The little subtleties that can make a good moment great? Again, he understands that.

I'd think if he was on the creative team, and was allowed to do what he wanted, we'd see less of the suspension of disbelief breaking backstage vignettes, and we'd see a grittier, more realistic product, with more logic infused into it, and that's not a bad thing at all.

Not to come down on you, I just wanted to make the distinction more clear, but being a BOOKER and being on the WRITING STAFF/CREATIVE TEAM are totally different things. I even said in my post earlier that Bret would probably make a better booker than anything else, and that I didn't really see him being apart of creative so I agree with you on that point. I do not however think that he would be much for creative in today's WWE as his idea of what wrestling is supposed to be like doesn't necessarily cater to the needs of today's modern product.

Not to come down on you, I just wanted to make the distinction more clear, but being a BOOKER and being on the WRITING STAFF/CREATIVE TEAM are totally different things. I even said in my post earlier that Bret would probably make a better booker than anything else, and that I didn't really see him being apart of creative so I agree with you on that point. I do not however think that he would be much for creative in today's WWE as his idea of what wrestling is supposed to be like doesn't necessarily cater to the needs of today's modern product.

Yes, I understand that today there's booking teams, creative teams, ect...

but that doesn't mean it's always been that way.

Do you think an outfit as small as Stampede Wrestling had separate booking and creative staff in the 80's? When Eddie Gilbert was writing out angles, characters, finishes, ect in his notebooks in his booking days, do you think he also had a creative writer working with him?

No, old school bookers did it all, and when Bret Hart had the book in Stampede, he did too.

As far as you saying that he wouldn't be good because his idea of what wrestling should be isn't exactly in line with the modern product? So what? When was the last time the modern product did huge business on a regular basis? Not saying that Hart is some behind the times dinosaur like you're implying, because truthfully, neither of us know that for sure... but even if he was, maybe taking a step back into wrestlings roots might turn out to be the breath of fresh air the business needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back