• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Be Mania Matches

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Pretty much a thread about Mania matches that were rumoured to be happening, but for some reason never did. Would it have been good, would anybody have be benefited from it, what would the outcome have been and so on.

NOT A THREAD FOR MATCHES YOU WANTED TO SEE.​

Battle Of The Billionaires WrestleMania 23:

From what I remember the original plan was for Hogan to face Big Show, in celebration of 20 years since Andre vs. Hogan. There's no real need to guess what the match would have been like. It happened at a show in Memphis a few months after, from what I hear it was no worse than the match 20 years ago. The outcome was always predictable anyway. After Hogan acted a little naughty the match was supposed to be HBK vs. King Booker. I would have loved to see this match. And if it wasn't for Triple H injuring himself it probably would have happened. Shame. In the end it ended up being Lashley vs. Umaga. Hardly a Mania quality match, thus why Austin was added. The end result was a pretty basic match. Made great by Vince getting his head shaved.

World Heavyweight Championship
Batista(c) vs. Randy Orton

I think if it wasnt for Eddie Guerrero's death, thus leading too Rey Mysterio's push, that Batista vs. Orton would of been the Smackdown MainEvent for WrestleMania 22, let me know if im wrong. IMO i think this match would be of been better then Kurt Angle vs. Orton vs. Rey Mysterio.

As Batista vs. Orton probley would of lead to Orton winning the Championship. But of course that didnt happen. So i would of rathered this match then the Triple Threat.

wwe title Triple h vs Mr kennnedy wrestlemania 24

If it wasn't for hhh injurys also kennedy we would have see this match because their were talks in doing this because kennedy had a push but he messed it up taking roids the game would have beaten cena for the title wwe were talking to have it happen and kennedy said he was going cash it at wrestlemania 24 I wished we seen this not the triple theart match cena vs orton vs hhh only 14 minutes that's bull right there

Hogan vs. Hart at WrestleMania 9 or 10.

This would have been one of the greatest matches ever, without question. The storytelling abilities of both these wrestlers would have made for one of the best WM matches in history. Bret Hart and the WWE would have benefited hugely from this. This would have been a classic passing of the torch match, similar to Hogan/Warrior. But this would have been more significant because Hart had the staying power that Warrior lacked.

With Hogan on his way out, he could have put Hart over in the biggest way possible by giving him the biggest victory of his career. This would have solidified Hart as the true number 1 guy in the company for the next 5 years. A win of this magnitude would have increased Hart's legitimacy as world champion, and would have made the WWE look stronger as a whole, which means the WWE may not have suffered as much as it did in the mid 90's.

Hogan vs. Hart at WrestleMania 9 or 10.

This would have been one of the greatest matches ever, without question. The storytelling abilities of both these wrestlers would have made for one of the best WM matches in history. Bret Hart and the WWE would have benefited hugely from this. This would have been a classic passing of the torch match, similar to Hogan/Warrior. But this would have been more significant because Hart had the staying power that Warrior lacked.

With Hogan on his way out, he could have put Hart over in the biggest way possible by giving him the biggest victory of his career. This would have solidified Hart as the true number 1 guy in the company for the next 5 years. A win of this magnitude would have increased Hart's legitimacy as world champion, and would have made the WWE look stronger as a whole, which means the WWE may not have suffered as much as it did in the mid 90's.

That's assuming Hogan would put Hart over, which I personally don't think would have happened. But if it would have happened like how you stated, it would have been great.

The original plan for Wrestlemania 21 was supposed to be Triple H vs Brock Lesnar. If this match would have happened, what would have happened Batista? In fact, the whole breakup of evolution could have been handled completely different, even Orton getting kicked out. I actually have no idea how they would have done all of this, but there's a good chance Batista wouldn't have been put over like he was, and maybe he wouldn't be as big of a star as he is today

edge vs hhh for the world title wrestlemania 25 or have edge vs randy orton wrestlemania 25 these matches would be great as we really never seen edge vs hhh in a world title match correct me if im wrong but also orton vs edge would be great think of the match they had at vengance 2004 that match was like 20 minutes and it was very entertaining i didnt know who was gonna win but here is a dream match that could happen since team 3ds contract is ending in october 2008 have at wrestlemania 25 a 3 way tlc match the hardyz vs london and kendrick vs the dudley boyz this would be like at wm 16 have 2 high flying teams and have one really good beating ppl up team but those are my would be matches

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned a huge one:

HBK versus Bret Hart - WrestleMania 13

Rumor has it, this was supposed to be the main event of WM13, with Bret beating Austin in a #1 Contenders match after the RR, and probably having Sid/Taker as just "the typical Taker grudge match at WrestleMania".

However, Shawn was a dick back then, and "lost his smile", so he vacated the title, leading to what we're all familiar with.

If Hart would've won the title at 'mania, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten mad enough to take WCW's deal, meaning that the Montreal Screwjob wouldn't happen. Of course, at the same time, without Hart/Austin at WM13, we wouldn't see Austin become who he was via the same bloody submission process. I wonder how things would've been different...

I don't know if this counts, but when Eddie Guerrero died, it was expected that he would become the World Champion. That is the rumour part. If he had been World Champion, I could have seen a feud beginning between Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero coming to a head at a match at Wrestlemania for the World Title. Smackdown would be highlighted by these two best friends for the rest of the spring until MVP would beat the face of the two and feuding with Batista, giving them the summer off. Most likely Chris Benoit would be alive today if this would have happened. Since a Raw wrestler would probably have won the Royal Rumble instead of Rey Mysterio. As RVD would most likily have won the Royal Rumble, ECW could have started as early as the week following Wrestlemania, if RVD would have gone over Cena at the time... I guess this is all the butterfly effect at work.

I don't know if this counts, but when Eddie Guerrero died, it was expected that he would become the World Champion. That is the rumour part. If he had been World Champion, I could have seen a feud beginning between Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero coming to a head at a match at Wrestlemania for the World Title. Smackdown would be highlighted by these two best friends for the rest of the spring until MVP would beat the face of the two and feuding with Batista, giving them the summer off. Most likely Chris Benoit would be alive today if this would have happened. Since a Raw wrestler would probably have won the Royal Rumble instead of Rey Mysterio. As RVD would most likily have won the Royal Rumble, ECW could have started as early as the week following Wrestlemania, if RVD would have gone over Cena at the time... I guess this is all the butterfly effect at work.

i also heard that rumor eddie was gonna get the belt but stephanie even said it on the eddie tribute special. but if eddie was gonna get the belt it prob would have been eddie and orton in the smackdown main event for the title or they could have played the rematch card and have eddie vs angle from wm 20

Wrestlemania 21 was fucked over big time. The card that could of been vs. the Card that was, what a shame.

Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H. Boy oh boy did we get screwed over on that one. I think Brock's momentum would have been too much for even the game to derail with politics. Brock probably would have made Trips look like a pure amateur, and that pisses me off.

Wrestlemania 22. Face Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero Heel.
My god could you imagine what this match could have been if Guerrero hadn't had died. The way the WWE could have built this match (best friend, better enemies storylines are always well done) and use the footage from WM 20 to build even more on. Goosebumps just thinking about it. Instead, we get the crap Triple Threat.

Wrestlemania 13: HBK vs. Bret Hart. Were we screwed by HBK, yup. The Kliq fans will be in here to rally behind their leader saying he was injured, blah blah blah. He ducked Hart, plain and simple, and led to a cluster fuck of a Mania card because one of the biggest guys in the company was a selfish prick.

WM15: Steve Austin vs. the Rock vs. Mick Foley
According to Kevin Kelly, Austin nixed this match because he didn't want to split the main event pay day three ways. I don't know how the WWE didn't capitalize on all of the momentum Rock Mankind had at the time, and would have said, screw you Austin, we're doing it. At the time the Rock wasn't a main eventer at Wrestlemania, no way shape or form. This is one of the more over rated boring main events in Mania history, and I still can't figure otu why people think this first Mania match is good. It's incredibly average, if not below average. Even I think that putting the belt on Big Show and having Austin vs. Big Show would have been better then Rock Austin.

Flair vs Hogan WM VIII - This match was advertised originally as the main event, however the impending federal steroid probe was widening and WWE was separating itself from stars who might be involved, including veterans like Hogan and Piper, both of whom quietly left after this event. Flair of course had an excellent match/feud with Savage and Hogan a not so great match/feud with Sid, whose own push died quickly after this event for a variety of reasons.

Rumor had it the original plan was for Flair to beat Hogan outright at the Royal Rumble. Flair would go on a rampage as the man who destroyed Hulkamania, truly "The Real World's Champion" as he billed himself at the time. Hogan would disappear for awhile, making the fans clamor even more for his return. Eventually Hogan would return in dramatic fashion, possibly a SNME saving some fan favorite from a beat down by Flair and his co-horts (Heenan & Henning). Hogan of course would challenge Flair to the ultimate re-match with idea that if Flair could beat him twice, especially at WM which was HIS SHOWCASE event, then there would be no doubt Hulkamania was dead. Hogan would not lose however, going over cleanly and re-gaining his title, likely prolonging their feud till SummerSlam.

However, Hogan did not want to lose to Flair so the Royal Rumble itself was to decide the champion with Flair having his 62 minute marathon performance to win the belt. The steroid investigation and the idea Hogan should distance himself from WWE for awhile lead to WWE breaking up the impending heel group of Flair and Sid and sending Flair in a completely different direction with Savage and Sid having the prolonged fued with Hogan, leading to a not so impressive "Retirement" match for Hulk that was pretty anticlimatic.

Would the match have been good - It likely would have rivaled Hogan/Savage as the Hulkster's best WM match. Hogan was not much of a worker or storyteller (beat me down for 10 minutes, then I'll rally, punch you, kick you, then leg drop you) but he did step it up considerably when he faced opponents who were really good, like Savage and Piper. His matches with Flair in 1994 were some of his best so this one likely would have been as good if not better. It probably would not have been as good a match as Flair/Savage was (though ten times better than Hogan/Sid, did Sid ever have a show stealing match ?) but the drama of the story, the potential interviews, and the idea that the only other No. 1 wrestler in th e world had already beaten him once would have made this potentially Hogan's most anticipated match since Andre in 1987.

I wouldn't have replied to this post, but after reading this one statement I just had to say something...

Hogan was not much of a worker or storyteller

Are you kidding me?!?!

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I've EVER read. Hogan was probably the greatest storyteller (except maybe Hart) of all time.

(beat me down for 10 minutes, then I'll rally, punch you, kick you, then leg drop you)

You must not know what storytelling is. When you watch a Hogan match, do you not see every single fan willing him on to overcome the heel? Do you not see every single fan investing their emotions into the match, suspending their disbelief as if it was a real fight, routing Hogan on to win the match? When fans care THAT much about your matches, that is when you know that you are a great worker, and an incredible storyteller. Flair can't even touch Hogan when it comes to storytelling.

Wrestlemania 22. Face Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero Heel.

That would have been good but they've wrestled eachother a million times. If I'm not mistaken there was also a rumoured HBK/Eddie match for WM22. That would have been awesome. They never got to wrestle eachother, not even once. It would have stolen the show, and would have been a million times better than HBK/McMahon. WM22 with Angle vs. Taker and HBK vs. Eddie would have been way better than what it was.

I'm surprised everyone hasn't mention this one:

John Cena vs Triple H: Wrestlemania 23

This was supposed to be the Raw main event of the show, but didn't happen due to HHH's injury. Shawn Michaels replaced HHH as Cena's challenger and they worked a program of being allies. Had HHH not gotten injured, Cena would likely have lost the title because its unlikely that WWE would have HHH lose to Cena two years in a row. Cena ended up retaining by submisson for the second consecutive year. In addition Cena and HBK faced each other in arguably the greatest match in Monday Night Raw history later in the month.

Wrestlemania 13: HBK vs. Bret Hart. Were we screwed by HBK, yup. The Kliq fans will be in here to rally behind their leader saying he was injured, blah blah blah. He ducked Hart, plain and simple, and led to a cluster fuck of a Mania card because one of the biggest guys in the company was a selfish prick.

Not only did this decision lead to a bad Mania card, but it took out what could have been one of the best endings to Wrestlemania. When Shawn said he wouldn't job to Bret, Bret proposed that the match ends with Shawn going for Sweet Chin Music and Bret catching his leg and breaking it. Shawn would then try to continue for a while but the ref would stop the match after Hart locked in the Sharpshooter. Shawn wouldn't tap or be pinned, but that wasn't good enough.

We did still get the Hart/Austin submission match, which would end up being beter for the long run. It just sucks that Mania took a back seat to one guys ego.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back