Would a "TNA Bound for Glory Series" type concept work in WWE?

Reflection

is a happier and wiser man
As all of us probably know, TNA has been conducting this tournament since last year, where a dozen wrestlers battle it out in a series of matches, where the top 4 superstars will go on to fight at No Surrender, and the winner will get a Title shot at Bound For Glory in October...
Me and a few friends play a game on facebook where we predict the winners of the series; So while taking part in one of those, I noticed something (I could be wrong): That majority of the superstars in this series (namely, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Daniels, Mr Anderson, RVD, Jeff Hardy, Pope etc.) are more or less on the same level... Same level in the sense, that when any two of the aforementioned stars face off, its hard to predict that who will score the fall, and that uncertainty factor, I believe, has a huge role behind the success of the tournament so far.
Now, let us imagine the same concept in WWE. We are given some superstars (e.g. Randy Orton, Big Show, Kane, Dolph Ziggler, Rey Mysterio, Damien Sandow, Cody Rhodes and Jinder Mahal, so to speak). The problem that I see here, is that in WWE, each superstar has his own level.. I'll explain that. For example, Kane. His 'level' is such that if he faces any of the superstars named after him above, he will emerge victorious. But if he faces Big Show or Randy Orton, he would be on the losing side. Similarly, the other superstars too have fixed people that they can beat and cannot beat. I believe the matter is same for superstars that I might not have mentioned as well (Santino for example can beat Swagger but not Del Rio).. So without this unpredictable nature, I am of the opinion that it is very hard for a concept like this to be successful in the WWE.
What are your opinions? Am I wrong in my analysis, and a series like this could most definitely work in WWE, if worked upon? Are their other factors as well, that could pose as hindrance to this concept (like too many No Contest finishes in WWE)? If yes, then what could make it work as good, or even better than TNA?

I agree with one your point about the levels of superstar on what they can win or cannot win.

I don't think such a concept will work in WWE considering there are established mega main-eventers in WWE like Cena, Orton and HHH.

The tournament will be interesting no doubt, but it will be very predictable.

Suppose Orton is in the tournament and the other 11 guys are:

Bryan
Rhodes
Tyson Kidd
Kane
Christian
Ziggler
Punk
The Miz
Sandow
Cesaro
Ryback

WWE will never be able to decide if any of those guys except for Punk are ever going to win over Orton cleanly. Even if they do it will be at huge risk and afterall how many interferences and cheat wins can they afford on an important defining series.

Then the next big superstar is Punk, would you allow superstars to go over him?

The only way I would do such a tournament is if all of the wrestlers in it are emerging names like Cesaro, Sandow, Ryback, Rhodes, Ziggler and Tyson Kidd etc.

But that will be a boring tournament featuring only superstars that fans hardly care about.

So it's a no for me! I think WWE should bring back King of the Ring PPV and do a tournament or something that leads to the King of the Ring.

A 16 men tournament over a month leading to 4 guys wrestling in semis and finals at the PPV should be hot and will keep the fans interested.

I wouldn't want WWE to just rip off the BFG Series idea. I'd rather they bring back King of the Ring and make it for a title match at SummerSlam like Brock's win was, or come up with a new tournament concept altogether.

It actually wouldn't be a bad idea. Give some of the lower card guys a little bit of exposure and at least it will be something to look forward to over three or four months. If they did do it, I wonder how long it will last. I would have it start the Raw after Wrestlemania and end at Survivor Series. If the winner becomes champion, either they keep it until Wrestlemania or drop it at Elimination Chamber depending on the Wrestlemania plans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back