• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worst in wrestling today: Mic skills

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This series will explore some of the more negative aspects of professional wrestling today, concentrating on WWE and TNA, but feel free to talk about any wrestlers you deem worthy of the hall of shame. Everyone loves a good bitch after all.

This thread looks at the real stinkers on the mic today. Now, I would say that people need to be fair here. For example, Festus never gets any mic time ever, but he's not the worst for that reason, he just isn't given the stick.

For me, there's a few posibilities here, but I am going to go with Kofi Kingston. Kingston doesnt comefrom Jamaica, and you don't need a BBC journalist to suss that one out, but one has done it anyway, and he's a Ghanaian. Kingston's time on the mic never really gets anything across, and it certainly doesn't compliment his exciting in ring style. Kingston on co-commentary has been done a lot of times, and every time he doesn't improve. So he's my pick. It would have been Masters, but I'll give him a bit of a chance. So, who do you reckon has the worst mic skills in wrestling today?

I'll go with Jack Swagger. Obviously, it's the lisp. It's not his fault, and his mic skills other than that are passable, but that lisp just irritates the piss out of me for some reason.

I read somewhere that he's working on it with a speech therapist. Not sure if that's true or not, but I hope so. I can definitely see it holding his career back if he doesn't fix it.

Jeff Hardy is without a doubt one of the worst individuals on the mic, that is in a top spot within the currently W.W.E Rosters.

Whenever I think about how horrible Hardy is on the mic, I think back to the E&C days and then back to the first Pay per view Championship match Jeff had against Orton, at the Royal Rumble.

First: (E&C Days) Almost anytime Hardy gets a chance to talk, he just seems fake and not even caring. Its like hes reading from cue-cards, but only the ones that everyone seem to forget to toss for being so stupid. And that leads me to thinking about something Edge and Christian made reference to, when mocking the Hardys.. w/ midgets. They went to hand the mic to the midget Hardys, only for them to do the Hardy hand-sign and back away. Edge then replied with "Oh, thats right, the real version never gets a chance to talk - why should you." And for good reason, because Jeff Hardy is horrible on the mic.

Second: (Orton/Rumble feud) When I think of just how bad Hardy is on the mic, especially when it is meant to lead up to something.. I think of his first official Pay per view Heavyweight title opportunity.. and his interview in explaining why he was going to win.

More or less, he basically said "I'm gonna take you out" over and over and over again. Its one thing to have a heated promo/interview, in which you repeat yourself, but this wasn't that type of feud and this definitely wasn't that type of setting, for Hardy to need to repeat himself.. yet he did, and mainly/only because the guy is horrible on the mic.

My only guess is he just doesn't have the skill level to think on the fly, and because of this he can't grasp at what to say suddenly, so he thinks of the most basic thing(s) to say, then repeats them in a more aggressive tone over and over, in hopes of gaining a crowd reaction. (which, sadly he does from time to time, because its Jeff Hardy)

I don't know if Diva's count since they suck at everything but the times Maryse has been on commentary, I had to put the TV on mute.

But as for actual wrestlers, I'd to go with:

John Morrison: It's always so unbelievably obvious that he's reading from a teleprompter or memorized a script. Unless they put him with a manager who can do his talking for him, he's never gonna be the main eventer WWE wants him to be.

Shelton Benjamin: Everytime the guy speaks, he puts the crowd to sleep. Unless they bring back his Mama, he's gonna be looking for future endeavors soon.

Randy Orton: If mic skills meant talking as slow and monotone as possible, he would be the best.

I would go with Jeff Hardy. Here is a guy who is the champion for Christ's sake and he still can't cut a decent promo. What the hell is up with the face paint anyway? Matt Hardy isn't that much better either. Shelton Benjamin can sing all the tunes he wants, he is still boring as hell on the mic. I believe when he wants to, Randy Orton can be decent on the mic but more often then not since he's "heel" he has to talk monotone and robotic. Kofi's accent is terrible along with his finishing move. A kick doesn't do it for me. Evan Bourne is pretty bad too but he's new. Tommy Dreamer may be the worst of all, they guy has no emotion whatsoever.

As soon as I read the title of this thread one guy stuck out like a sore thumb. Jeff hardy, it's the one thing that the guy is really lacking. He's terrible on the mic. I don't know what it is, maybe he's just trying to hard... I really don't know what it is.. But it just doesn't work... He always comes across as if he has to much passion, or he's acting like he has passion... Just forcing it...

Obviously the easy choice would be Jeff, even though I think he is definitely more comfortable with the mic these days. I don't really have a be all end all worst, but I feel Batista could be added to the discussion. Now hold the fuck on before you jump down my throat, I'm not that smarky douchebag who sits here and endless bashes Batista. I actually quite like him. But when he grabs a mic, he tends to fuck up and stutter an awful lot. He just sounds like what a normal man would sound like with a mic stuck in his face.

I would say Batista but he doesn't get much mic time and he really doesn't need it. He isn't horrible but he isn't great. My pick is Jeff Hardy. Half the time he doesn't know what to say and that goes back to the Orton/Hardy feud. He always says the hometown to get a pop like Foley and Rock but those two were tons better on the mic than Jeff. He doesn't seem natural on the mic like CM Punk but he has improved and I'll give them that. However, he's still the worst. Kofi could take his place in a couple of years.

I'm probably gonna have to go with Jeff Hardy, though Batista isn't far behind. I've always liked watching Hardy in the ring, I really don't know why the guy gets ragged so much on this site, but the guy is absolute shit on the ring. As an overall performer, his mic skills are probably his biggest weakness overall.

There's never any energy in his promos, no passion really. He just kind of drones on without any sort of real, tangible emotion in his voice or body language.

"Got me a new suit on...yeah"

"haha Randy...Randy"

Batista SUCKS on the mic.He's only not bad in short backstage interviews but
anything longer is horrible.

I hate his chuckling too.

Jeff Hardy is bad, but I think there's worse.
In the WWE I think John Morrison is worse and tries to cover it up with his exaggerated style of speaking which just sounds awful to me. Kozlov is also worse. I'd say Maryse is the worst of anyone though, she is really bad on the mic. But I don't think anyone in WWE is the worst on the mic when you compare them to TNA..

Hernandez is worse on the mic then Hardy, and I couldn't believe that video package with him doing narration they played this past week on Impact. That was horrible and I'd use that and any promo he's done as proof he's worse then the worst in WWE. But I'd say there's a lot of choices from the Knockouts division that are the worst of all.. from Taylor Wilde to Sojounr Bolt to Rhaka Khan to Christy Hemme.

Honorable mention goes to Suicide.

I think the worst in all of pro wrestling though is Tyler Black of Ring of Honor.

Yeah, I would have to also say that Jeff Hardy is one of the worst I have ever saw pick up the mic in the WWE. He is extremely exciting I'm the ring in his big spots, and when he gets a hot tag. But the second he picks up the mic it is worse than dead air. His promos seem like the were written by a monotonoc robot. He never picks his voice up for the exciting parts. If he spoke a little faster, and picked up his voice, he could be better. He needs to hang out with us when we speak French.

As much as im a fan of his, I'v got to go with jeff. His mic skills arn't the best. Althrough he is alot more comfortable on the mic now, hes not great. As a previous poster said before, At the rumble 08, jeff did an interveiw saying why he was going to beat Orton and take the title of him, where as during the interview he just repeated, Im going to take you out. I think this was always one of the things that has been holding jeff back throughout his carear which is a shame. He wans'nt good on the mic during his Hardy Boyz days either, althrough he wasn't given the mic time he is now, now he is a world champion.

The same case can be said about Matt Hardy, it was always the one thing holding him back, his mic skills(along with his charisma). He had all the wrestling skills in the world but just couldnt get it done on the stick 10 years ago and still can't today. Like Jeff, during his hardy Boyz days, Matt was one of the worst speakers in the industry. Althrough he has gotton ebtter through time, Matt is still one of the worst speakers in both WWE and TNA today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back