Women's Wrestling Makes History

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
No, I'm not talking about the return of the Women's championship. No, I'm not talking about the term "diva" being completely scrapped from the wrestling vernacular. I'm talking about the three top female wrestlers in the world putting on the Match of the Night at WrestleMania.

Yes, Shane McMahon had the moment the world will talk about for years. Yes, Zack Ryder was the biggest shock of the night. Yes, Brock Lesnar used more suplexes and his beating of Ambrose was the most brutal of the night. But in terms of a bell to bell wrestling match, the women not only delivered, they surpassed everyone else.

It all started from the entrances, where Sasha Banks received the most unanimously positive pop of the night...and it was HUGE! From the beginning it seemed Becky Lynch would be the odd woman out, but instead she may have put on the best performance of them all, and had the most highlights in the match itself. Then, in perfect smarmy heel fashion, Charlotte made her former close friend tap out while her manager helped her cheat.

It is, of course, hard not to notice that Charlotte's manager is the legendary Ric Flair which only makes it more amazing to see the complete reversal of wrestling norms that is occurring. It was always the big, strong male wrestler with the tiny, attractive female valet. Now you have one of the biggest legends in male wrestling history acting as the "valet" and doing all of the manager hijinx for the top female heel. Forget that it is a father/daughter combo, this is unheard of. Male managers with female wrestlers have always been treated as a joke but I highly doubt anyone will look at last nights match with anything but reverence.

A few months ago I believed the "Divas Revolution" to be dead, they mixed the new top class women's wrestlers with the far less talented "divas" and forced the talented women to "lower themselves" to match the established talent. In the build-up to WrestleMania those shackles were finally pulled off. Charlotte, Becky, and Sasha were allowed to have personalities again, they were allowed to show off their exceptional in-ring talents again, and they put on one of the best women's matches in WWE history at the biggest stage of them all (literally, did you see the size of that stage?).

The glass ceiling was broken last night. While many of the male wrestlers struggled to seem relevant and to win over crowd support, the female wrestlers masterfully told a story that made everyone come out stronger. If Trish and Lita were the bar to reach for women's wrestling, then that bar has been officially smashed. Women's wrestling is hot in a way it has never been hot before and I hope this success continues for many years to come.

It wasn't a good match, it was a fun match. In terms of match quality, Lesnar/Ambrose was better, as was Jericho/Styles (sloppiness aside). The women's match was incredibly spotty, but they hid it well when a very fast pace. It wasn't the best match of the night and I would not call it match of the night.

It wasn't a good match, it was a fun match. In terms of match quality, Lesnar/Ambrose was better, as was Jericho/Styles (sloppiness aside). The women's match was incredibly spotty, but they hid it well when a very fast pace. It wasn't the best match of the night and I would not call it match of the night.

Spotty? Really? It did feel a lot like a WCW Cruiserweight match; but not the spotfest matches, the ones involving Jericho, Malenko, and Guerrero.

There were some minor mix-ups but they covered them up so that they were quickly forgotten. They pulled out big momentum building moves and sold their effects. They were working on limbs, trying to finish the match not through a highspot but through attrition. It was one of the best in-ring stories I've seen in a long time, a classic technical style that made sense from start to finish.

Spotty? Really?
Oh, absolutely. It was very spotty. Triple threat matches generally are.

It did feel a lot like a WCW Cruiserweight match; but not the spotfest matches, the ones involving Jericho, Malenko, and Guerrero.
It was incredibly spotty.

There were some minor mix-ups but they covered them up so that they were quickly forgotten. They pulled out big momentum building moves and sold their effects. They were working on limbs, trying to finish the match not through a highspot but through attrition. It was one of the best in-ring stories I've seen in a long time, a classic technical style that made sense from start to finish.
Umm, no, it was none of that really. What it was was a fun match, with heat seeking pops. There wasn't any real story to the match, it was just "you do a move, now I'll do a move, then I'll roll out of the ring so you and her can do a move". Very spotty.

I thought it was a great match, those girls went out there and worked their asses off, had alot of energy, i enjoyed. Wasnt a 5 star match by any means but it was easily the most fun to watch. The Women's division has really stepped it up in the last couple years and if WWE can keep bringing in talented women then its highly likely we will see a successful women's division that doesn't get thrown to the wayside every few months

I liked the match, it was probably 7/10 for me.

Few negatives was the lack of 3 person action. I know in a triple threat someone is usually always taking a break but it just seemed to me that there was very little action of all three involved. Perhaps because the match was a bit longer, might just be me.

The one thing that really annoyed me was the finish. I realise it sets up another story going forward, and that heels cheat, but you've had this great passage of women's wrestling, everyone is talking about it in such a positive way, and at the biggest event you have a screwy finish.

Just bothered what I thought was a great match. Just have the tap out, with Banks on the floor.

I liked the match, it was probably 7/10 for me.

Few negatives was the lack of 3 person action. I know in a triple threat someone is usually always taking a break but it just seemed to me that there was very little action of all three involved. Perhaps because the match was a bit longer, might just be me.

The one thing that really annoyed me was the finish. I realise it sets up another story going forward, and that heels cheat, but you've had this great passage of women's wrestling, everyone is talking about it in such a positive way, and at the biggest event you have a screwy finish.

Just bothered what I thought was a great match. Just have the tap out, with Banks on the floor.

I agree, as much as I love Ric Flair, I really wish they hadn't brought him in full-time to work with Charlotte. I get it, its his daughter and hes been trying to get one of his kids to succeed him in this business since 1999 that and wants to share in that experience with her but she doesn't need him ringside, having Ric there overshadows her.

I've been hearing people calling this match a top 5 of all time. It's not. It's not even top 10. I thought the match was pretty spotty myself, but the women left everything in the ring and gave it their all and I was satisfied. I felt cheated when Charlotte won, but I suppose that was the point. I definitely want to see a rematch. Even if Becky and Sasha have to fight for the right to face Charlotte again. So the match definitely accomplished what it needed to.

I don't think it was MOTN. I'd reserve that for Shane/Undy; which exceeded every expectation despite being randomly thrown together on paper. Dean/Brock was good too, but it was just too short for my liking. It ended right when my emotional level was peaking. On a stage that big, with Lesnar working the limited dates that he does, it just didn't have the big fight feel that it should have had in the end. That's why I ranked the women's match higher.

The best match on the card, but an underwhelming card. All three did themselves proud. The moonsault and Ric Flair taking the suicide dive would have been the two spots of the night if it weren't for Shane McMahon's literal suicide dive.

The crowd started out indifferent and became more and more invested as the match went on. Considering that the atmosphere became thinner and thinner as other matches with more established stars drew on, no easy feat.

It benefited from, say, Ambrose teasing that his match was finally going to get interesting and then it immediately ending, or sixty-nine year old Chris Jericho defeating AJ Styles with a dodgy-looking codebreaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back