• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Women's History Month

enviousdominous

Behold my diction
The pro-wrestling world isn't simply supplemented by matches involving women. Female performers have written their own significant history and have helped make modern pro-wrestling what it is today. Sometimes referred to as "the weaker sex", women have entered the squared circle and have taken hard enough bumps to show that courage can break down societal boundaries. Women can be respected as history's greatest examples of pro-wrestlers.

I'd like this thread to reflect on the greatest female performers. Not just of all time, but the ones who've conquered your passion for the business and why they appealed to you over all others.

My absolute favorite female performer was someone who I used to watch on LLPW, someone who was still putting on awesome exhibition matches until 2012. Her name is Harley Saito, here's a clip of her match in one of the last LPWA exhibitions:

[YOUTUBE]DzXo4RGf6Mw[/YOUTUBE]

I included that clip because it was during Harley's run with LPWA that I started to notice her, and I was very happy to see that she started working for All Japan Wrestling. In All Japan Wrestling, Harley Saito stole my heart. Her courage was admirable and she was one of the most stiff female performers out there. The next clip is the entire match of what is in my opinion the greatest female exposition in pro-wrestling history. Harley Saito vs Akira Hokuto:

[YOUTUBE]ep81ETQ-b04[/YOUTUBE]

3:11 code of honor? 3:18 likewise. 3:32-3:37 YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! 4:57 epic piledriver. 6:32 ECW!! 7:33 back for more? 8:26 going surfing. 9:23 classic Harley Saito. 9:45-10:02 YES!! YES!! YES!! YES!! 10:28 fool me twice. 12:00 epic series. The highlights go on, I suddenly have to run (work).

"Sensational" Sherri Martel is and will likely always be my favorite female performer. I've always thought of her as the female Bobby Heenan, as they were both extremely well-rounded performers who excelled at managing. And while Sherri never had a stable to match the illustrious Heenan Family, she did manage quite a few significant names and was a big part of the heat and success of her charges.

What I loved most about Sherri was her passion. She was clearly a vibrant woman who loved the business. I also believe she loved the camera; it certainly loved her. Sherri could say more with a raised eyebrow than most could in a 2 minute promo. Her often outrageous makeup highlighted her sneers, scowls, and sinister laughs wonderfully. Her promos were second-to-none among women in her heyday and would rank very favorably overall, I think.

Sherri became the preeminent woman of the WWF shortly after I began watching. After the split of the Mega Powers, Miss Elizabeth appeared less frequently, and Randy Savage became my favorite heel. When he was joined by Sherri, magic happened. Their energy and over-the-top antics never failed to entertain. Unlike Elizabeth, Sherri was arguably Randy's equal in their on-screen relationship, and Sherri had no problem moving on from the Macho Man. From Ted DiBiase to Harlem Heat, she managed some big names and did so wonderfully. Although she's been gone about 8 years, she forged an enduring legacy. Truly one of the greats of all-time, regardless of gender. Long live the queen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back