Japanese wrestling legend Mitsuhara Misawa passes

HHHDiedForOurSins

Pre-Show Stalwart
F4WOnline:

Mitsuharu Misawa, one of the greatest pro wrestlers of all-time, was declared dead at 10:10 p.m. Saturday night at a hospital in Hiroshima from an apparent heart attack after being being given a back suplex in a tag team title match.

Misawa would have turned 47 on June 18th.

Misawa, the president of Pro Wrestling NOAH, was teaming with Go Shiozaki in a match challenging Bison Smith & Akitoshi Saito for the GHC tag team championship in Hiroshima. Misawa was given the move at about 8:45 p.m. and knocked unconscious.

According to eye witness reports, Saito gave Misawa a "routine" back suplex that was described as a "7" in danger on a scale of one-to-ten. He did not get up. It was chaos in the ring as they attempted to revive him using CPR and the crowd was hushed for a while, and began a "Misawa" chant. He turned purple in the ring and was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance.

His heart stopped beating in the ring.

The wrestlers were told on the bus that he had passed away.

While it is being reported that he passed away at the hospital, he may have actually passed away in the ring.

Misawa was the Japanese high school national wrestling champion at 187 pounds in 1980, and was recruited by Giant Baba into All Japan Pro Wrestling. He gained his first taste of stardom in 1984 when he was chosen to be the second Tiger Mask. After unmasking in 1990, he became an even bigger star after a series of singles matches with Jumbo Tsuruta.

He was Japan's biggest pro wrestling star of the 90s, and one could make a strong case for him as the top wrestler of the decade. He was the Wrestler of the Year in 1995, 1997 and 1999.

After the death of Shohei "Giant" Baba, Misawa wrestled a little over one more year for All Japan Pro Wrestling, while working as company president. After consistently butting heads with owner Motoko Baba, the widow of Shohei Baba, he and 90% of the All Japan roster quit the company to form Pro Wrestling NOAH.

What a sad story, RIP.

It's a shame. He shouldn't have been wrestling now anyway. Not through injury, but because he was really awful. He used to be great but over the past couple of years it's been obvious he should've given it up. Unlike Kobashi he tried to do slightly more than chop.

NOAH was in trouble anyway. Won't be long before that promotion is gone as well.

I hope more wrestlers decide to hang up the boots earlier in their life because of this. A wrestler dying in the ring in their 40's or older would cause a lot of negative mainstream publicity to wrestling.

I have never seen him wrestle but only hear how skilled he was.

I've already posted in another thread about how much this saddens me. Y2Jake is right: NOAH will now probably go under, as they recently lost a huge TV deal. I can't even imagine what losing Misawa will do to their gates, as he was still their second biggest star (right behind Kenta Kobashi), not to mention the founder and head of the company. I will have to disagree with Y2Jake about Misawa being horrible in the ring however. Compared to what he could do in his prime, yes, he was horrible. But, even at 46, he was still just as good as about two-thirds of the wrestlers in the world today.

This is just terrible news. I just recently started followed Japanese wrestling hardcore thanks to Stan Hansen, and the matches Hansen and Misawa had were legendary. And it's sad that the promotion he ran will go under. Just flat out tragic.

Man, it's been a while since I've had one of these moments. It's like...I don't even know what to do... The man was a legend in the sport...one of the top names on the All-Time Professional Wrestling Legends list.

:icon_confused:

I don't know whether I should cry, watch some of his matches or hit someone with a forearm... :sad:

I've wanted Misawa to retire for years now. I wouldn't say he was terrible, but the guy was nothing like he use to be and I hated watching most of his matches from today. He had some moments of greatness here and there, but for the most part... he wasn’t the Misawa I came to love and respect when I first stumbled upon his work.

However, with that said.... Misawa in the nineties is one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time; no question about it. He had countless "5-Star" matches, and the man could just flat out work. It didn't matter if he was in a Singles match, a regular Tag Team match, or a Six-Man Tag Team match... Misawa ALWAYS delivered and constantly stole the show. And he did so while being in the ring against some of the biggest legends, toughest, most hard hitting men the sport has ever seen.

But you know what? It's still kind of hard to get that sad over something like this. The man left us years and years of great entertainment for our viewing pleasure, and he's one of those guys that loved the business so much, that I'd be willing to bet anything that if you asked him how he wanted to die, he would've said in the ring. He was one of those type of wrestlers. There are few and far in between, but that man was one of a kind and left a stamping on professional wrestling that no one will ever be able to duplicate.

I will tell you that I got to see him at an ROH show- I can't remember exactly when it was- I think about a year ago. The poor man could barely move. He was in such bad shape that I almost felt sorry for him. It was obvious that he was way past the point of retirement. It's a shame that he has passed away since he was a legend in Japanese wrestling.

Jeez man, 47? That ain't right. It makes my head spin, going out like that. One minute you're doing a belly to back suplex, the next you're gone. In all fairness though he was in rough shape there for a while and I always wished he could've gotten a bit more healthy and lost some weight. Well, God bless him and all. One of the greats...

Oddly enough I found out about his death via Matt Hardy's Twitter and I was like, "Oh shit." Its fucked up how he died but at least he died doing what he loved, you know? It's not like he died in a car wreck or whatever, he was in the ring doing what he loved. I really have no other words, it just sucks and I agree that after a certain age if you can't perform at your peak level anymore, just hang the boots up. And in all honesty I am surprised a death in the ring hasn't occurred more often considering the seamlessly endless curse of so many wrestlers dying every year. It goes to show that wrestling, as scripted as it is, is a LOT more punishing on the body than football and every other "legit" sport. And I know this is due to the fact that they have no real off season unless they are injured and even then they come back too early because of money being lost.
There has to be some kind of law passed that wrestlers NEED time off and get constant physicals so another tragedy like this doesn't happen again. And you know as well as I know that it will.

Mitsuhara Misawa is one of my favourite pro wrestlers of all time. Him and Kenta Kobashi put on some of the best matches I've ever seen and I won't forget them anytime soon. This shocks me because it was so sudden. I just scrolled on Wikipedia and went to the death section, only to find this. Whenever he hit the tiger driver, it gave me chills. Sad news indeed, but what a way to go out.

I will have to disagree with Y2Jake about Misawa being horrible in the ring however. Compared to what he could do in his prime, yes, he was horrible. But, even at 46, he was still just as good as about two-thirds of the wrestlers in the world today.

Was he heck. He was awful. At European Navigation last year I was surprised buy how poor he was. He wasn't any good at International Showdown in 2005 and he had Doug Williams and 2 Cold Scorpio doing all the work for his team.

I saw some people saying that this was like if Ric Flair or Hulk Hogan had suddenly died in their primes. I failed to see such a comparison but, for once, decided not to say anything. I've gotten into trouble before, doncha know.

It's hardly the same as Hogan or Flair dying in their primes.

The only way it's the same is if Hogan or Flair wrestled frequently and WWE was on it's knees. It's a shame, but the fact that he was in a tag match and he very rarely wrestled singles anymore shows what sort of condition he was in.

So, it's almost like Ric Flair dying in a match now? That's probably the best comparison we're going to come up with. You know, I might mention it after all. I can only imagine the reaction I'll get. Maybe I'll litter my post with wooing!

Woo! It's like - woo! - if the Nature Boy, Ric Flair - woo! - died while wrestling - woo! - right now. Woo!

But seriously, RIP.

He was a legend, but he was also far too old to be in the ring.
I mean, this is roughly the japanese equivalent of Sting dying in a TNA match next week. A huge star who's not in the biggest company far past his prime and too old to be in the ring.
I just hope it doesn't happen to Sting, or any of the older stars in TNA. Or WWE for that matter.

Sting dying in TNA. I like it. I like it a lot. Right, well that's that solved, isn't it?

Still, painful experience for all involved.

Oddly enough I found out about his death via Matt Hardy's Twitter and I was like, "Oh shit." Its fucked up how he died but at least he died doing what he loved, you know? It's not like he died in a car wreck or whatever, he was in the ring doing what he loved. I really have no other words, it just sucks and I agree that after a certain age if you can't perform at your peak level anymore, just hang the boots up. And in all honesty I am surprised a death in the ring hasn't occurred more often considering the seamlessly endless curse of so many wrestlers dying every year. It goes to show that wrestling, as scripted as it is, is a LOT more punishing on the body than football and every other "legit" sport. And I know this is due to the fact that they have no real off season unless they are injured and even then they come back too early because of money being lost.
There has to be some kind of law passed that wrestlers NEED time off and get constant physicals so another tragedy like this doesn't happen again. And you know as well as I know that it will.
no there should not be some kind of law passed that wrestlers NEED time off and get constant physicals . even if the law was passed it & had been passed before what happen Mitsuhara Misawa. it would have still not mattered at all with what happen to Mitsuhara Misawa because it happen in japan & our laws don't mean anything over there . so it would be useless. i remember when Mitsuhara Misawa was tiger mask 2 & was wrestling for WWF.Mitsuhara Misawa is wrestling legend & will be missed . he was inventor of the tiger driver & more .he trained ray gordy & started a company i love to watch called noah .. R.I.P Mitsuhara Misawa

This is a really sad weekend for pro wrestling.

I'll admit that I've never watched any of his matches (I really should), as I don't spend a lot of time watching Japanese pro wrestling on YouTube or somewhere like that, but I certainly won't argue with the fact that he was one of the most respected and talented wrestlers to emerge in the last 20 years. He was like the equivalent in Japan in the '90s to what Bret Hart and/or Shawn Michaels were over here in America during the 1990's.

It's really sad to see such a legend die at such a young age. But as someone pointed out, at least he died doing what he loved, being in front of the fans, wrestling, rather than being found dead in a hotel room like so many others.

I really hope that WWE does an In Memoriam screen/image at the beginning of Raw. They probably won't beings he never wrestled for them, but they still should anyway. Whether he wrestled in their company or not, it's a loss for the entire wrestling world, and should be acknowledged by everyone as such.

R.I.P Mitsuharu Misawa

at least he died doing what he loved. not many people can attest to that.

Burglars can.

The video of him in the ring is online now. Lots of wrestlers surrounding him, none doing much of anything. They'll probably keep it on the DVD.

The tribute show should be very good.

I have been watching Misawa compete for nearly 15 years, and as a huge fan of both him, NOAH and Japanese pro wrestling I am greatly saddened and touched by his death. People who don't follow the Japanese promotions may not really have a clue on just how revered and loved Misawa really was in his native land, so much so that I would compare his popularity to that of Sting in the U.S back in the early 90's, the Japanese people loved Misawa as did his fans from all over the world. Rest in peace, Legend........

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back