Winter Classic 2011

the troop

Occasional Pre-Show
Alright, so I am sure all hockey fans(or general sports fans) know that the NHL winter classic is a hockey game played between two NHL teams outdoors on New Years Day.

First game was in the Buffalo Bill's Ralph Wilson Stadium with the Sabres vs Penguins, then they went to Wrigley Field in Chicago for the Blackhawks vs the Redwings, and next year they will be in Fenway Park in Boston for the Bruins vs the Flyers. I think it is safe to say that it has turned into an annual event.

I think my question is simple. Assuming there will be a 2011 winter classic, where do you think it should be held at?

Maybe in Calgary? I know that the Flames were going to have a game at Mcmahon Stadium on new years day along with the bruins/flyers, but I think that isnt happening anymore. Maybe try and do it for 2011?

What do you guys think?

Well Calgary could be a great place for it, but they already had one in Alberta (Heritage Game, which was the predecessor to the Winter Classic). There is a bit of a bidding process going on for the rights to the WC, and as far as I know, Calgary is not in the running. New York wants it at the New Yankee Stadium, Toronto wants it in the big market, and I heard Minnesota wants it as well.

Unfortunately, I doubt we will ever get one in Vancouver, due to the warm winter conditions. But if there were to be one, I think Minnesota would be a great place to have one. There is not the heritage like in New York or Toronto, but it is still a great hockey market.

Of course if it was in Denver, Balloon Boy could always make an appearance (if he is still alive)

First of all, there is no doubt in my mind that the NHL will do this every year for the foreseeable future. It has been a big ratings boost for the league, and has pulled great ratings against quality NCAA Football Bowl games, which is great for the league.

My belief is that it will be at Yankee Stadium III, and the Rangers will play either The Devils, Islander, or Flyers. The NHL and Yankees reportedly wanted to do it in the old stadium, but construction of Yankee Stadium III and demolition of Yankee Stadium II prevented it. Now with the new stadium open, and other sporting events happening in the stadium (Notre Dame vs. Army 2010, a college football bowl game annually starting in December 2010, rumored boxing matches happening at some point). If I was a betting man, this would be my bet for the game.

Other potential suitors.
  1. The new Meadowlands (NY Giants/Jets stadium), where the Devils would then play the Flyers or Rangers probably.
  2. Somewhere for the Flyers. Either Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles), or maybe a neutral site game with the Penguins at whatever the hell Penn State's football field is called.
  3. Minnesota, at the Twins new outdoor ballpark (why do the Twins have an outdoor ballpark again?), or at the University of Minnesota's field.
  4. Detroit would be another good choice (play it at Comerica Park, where the Tigers play), although since they just played an outdoor game last season, they may not want them to play another one so soon.
Also, who says it has to be in cold weather climates? I could see it being successful in warm weather markets too. Imagine having an Dallas Stars game at Jerryworld (Cowboys Stadium), 100,000 people in the stadium for an NHL game would be absolutely awesome. Obvously, the success of the game is contingent on having a strong fan-base, and a having a decent team/superstar player helps too.

BMO Field in Toronto has been pushed forth by the Maple Leafs as a potential field. The seating for the smaller T.O. stadium is only 20-25 thousand, so I hope that it is not chosen. The outdoor games are supposed to be huge spectacles, so I am not sure why T.O. would not push for the Rogers Center, which could sit double that.

It's true that Toronto put in a bid for an outdoor game at BMO field, but it most likely won't happen. New York was pushing hard for this season's WC so I won't be surprised if they get it next season at the new Yankee Stadium. You could do Rangers vs. Islanders or an original six matchup or a division game, either would be good. Eventually it will come to Canada again and I think Montreal has a good shot at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back