Will TNA ever have it's own identity?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling was created back in 2002 so the company has been around for eight years now. I remember the TNA product from back before they had a television deal with anybody when they were on weekly pay per view on Wednesdays for $10 a show. I remember their X-Division was off the chain as far as bringing up new talent and introducing them to the world with the likes of A.J. Styles, Amazing Red, and others.

Yeah they brought in former WWE talent like D'Lo Brown, Raven, and Crash Holly aka Mad Mikey (R.I.P.). But that was bound to happen anyways. But over the last few years TNA (Dixie Carter) hell bent on competing against the WWE, has changed up the product to the point where the TNA wrestling from the beginng started to fade away in thin air.

TNA has forgotton where it came from so much that their starting to look like every other wrestling promotion past & present, including the WWE! I admit, TNA needed more talent on their roster to even think of competing against the WWE. Bigger names and faces which they got in the form of former WWE wrestlers. But they were spin-off's from the charactors they were in the WWE. And they even went as far as talking up the WWE name on live TNA TV. Let's take a look at the factions/stints TNA used to counter the WWE...

The Main Event Mafia aka former WWE (and WCW) wrestlers:
Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Sting, Booker T, Scott Steiner.

The Band aka the WCW's nWo faction: Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, X-Pac.

ECW 2.0 aka the original ECW: Tommy Dreamer, Rhyno, Raven, Rob Van Dam, ECT.

The original TNA wrestling has fizzled out of the picture here as you can see. So my question is, when will TNA have it's own identity again in professional wrestling???

TNA has forgotton where it came from so much that their starting to look like every other wrestling promotion past & present, including the WWE! I admit, TNA needed more talent on their roster to even think of competing against the WWE. Bigger names and faces which they got in the form of former WWE wrestlers. But they were spin-off's from the charactors they were in the WWE. And they even went as far as talking up the WWE name on live TNA TV. Let's take a look at the factions/stints TNA used to counter the WWE...

Can we have some examples of these spin offs?

Correction, former world champions. Also the MEM was essentially Vince Russo finally getting to demonstrate how good of an idea The New Blood actually was when he was given the proper materials and didn't have to deal with politics. Also Samoa Joe was a member of the MEM.

Hogan was never in The Band, Eric Young was which you've conveniently missed and Hall, Nash and X-Pac were friends and partners a long time before the nWo.

What's your point?

The original TNA wrestling has fizzled out of the picture here as you can see. So my question is, when will TNA have it's own identity again in professional wrestling???
The original TNA wrestling was no different from Ring Of Honor and interestingly it's the changes TNA has made that's given them their success. TNA didn't get to where they are on the backs of The Flying Elvises and Johnny Devine. TNA made the appropriate changes to their product to appeal to a wider audience. They have their own identity, in fact I can't think of 5 things that they share in common with the WWE, unless the fact that they're a wrestling company and have a ring count as similarities.

It's nice to set yourself apart from the competition so-to-speak...but you have to be careful when doing so. Separating yourself too much creates a niche market that turns you into another ECW. Where instead of grabbing an entire market of wrestling fans...you have a much smaller niche market of wrestling fans. Who are quite loyal and love your product...but you don't make much money that way. Which is exactly why ECW failed.

WCW on the other hand...had their own wrestlers...then they used Ted Turners money to grab a bunch of NWA and other minor wrestling circuit guys who were popular with the fans...and then they grabbed WWF's throwaways on top of it, who still were not only in their prime...but were also VERY popular among mainstream wrestling fans but had left the company due to financial reasons, the steroid conflict, or both. This gave WCW the artillery to set up their chess pieces. The problem was that they didn't have anybody who could set them up properly until Bischoff came up with his NWO idea. The wrestling world was then changed forever.

TNA is working with a significantly smaller budget and is limited to what they can expand upon so it will make things difficult to take a similar approach as WCW did. TNA does have some of the talent necessary...but they just need to move that chess piece in the right spot for the check mate...and when almost every move in the book as been done. It's tough to figure out a new one. Especially when your resources are far less limited than they were the last time you were making this decision.

TNA used to have its own identity.

A young roster with a few veterans for guidance and leadership.
A young roster made up of guys of various disciplines and various sizes.
A young roster whose size gave just about everyone in the company some nice TV time.
Victories came from wearing your opponent down, not just using finishers.
A unique ring design.
Innovative gimmick matches.

I'm in agreement with you Savion83. TNA once upon a time had a very distinct identity that made televised wrestling fresh again. Now with the 3 Stooges (Bischoff = Moe, Carter = Larry, Hogan = Curly) sitting at the head of the table, TNA has become a turd of a show.

TNA is not a "success". It is successful, but not a success. I mean this by the comapny has the revenue to stay afloat but not compete. TNA cannot lure anyone from the WWE. But TNA can take those from WWE whose contracts are up or take wrestlers from other organizations who the WWE has not signed or take wrestlers who desire a more lax schedule.

TNA's identity to me was that of a counter-culture WWE. A flourishing woman's division, an amazing tag division with teams from around the world, guys who were half as big as the WWE guys but with 10x the wrestling ability.

Now with the 3 Stooges bringing in their buddies and catering to the fans, the show is ruined and its identity lost. TNA was not supposed to be similar to the WWE, it was supposed to be different.

TNA for awhile was a ******ed clone of the WWE from 10 years past. "Bitch" "Asshole" "ZOMG HE'S BUSTED OPEN!!!" "SHOCKED THE WORLD!!!" worked when I was 18 years old. 12 years later I couldn't give less of a fuck if I tried about seeing something I have already watched.

Their saving graces are the wrestlers like Angle, and Styles. Samoa Joe, Eric Young, MCMG... and other wrestlers of that calibur.

So all in all, from watching since it's inception to when the 3 Stooges took over I would say the identity of TNA went from one of a counter-culture wrestling program to that of a show desperate for attention from those still in their teens.

Oh,and just to get it out...that ramp to the ring fucking sucks and is a fucking dumb idea.

It's simple. They used to because of the new unheardof talent. Then they started getting WWE has-beens like Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, who both have admitted to financial problems so they had to do something fast for money. They ruined TNA's identity. Yes they made it a want-to-watch because of Hulk Hogan's debut. But after that it went downhill. You see a ECW storyline, and it was already in the WWE. TNA was desperate for viewers so they tried to make themselves identical to the WWE. ie: 4 sided ring, storylines, characters. So the only problem with their "identity" is the people who hired the has-beens of the WWE.

People said the same exact thing about WCW hiring "old" WWF has-beens...and it eventually paid off and those has-beens took the reigns and bashed Vince's head into the turnbuckle for like 3 straight years.

I feel a big part of the problem are people like you guys (and many others on here) not giving those guys a chance to do what they're supposed to do. It hasn't even been a year yet. Relax. You're polluting your head with these biases and making up your minds before anything even happens which is much more of a reason TNA isn't doing as well as they could. Not because you conjured up a story in your head that Hogan, Flair, Nash, etc. had an agenda all along to ruin the company and promote themselves and all that nonsense.

It hasn't even been 7 full months!! Relax!! Have patience. I would be willing to guarantee you that if TNA got rid of every single one of the old guys and they were only left with their young originals...the company would go under within months because the older generation of fans who still watch for nostalgic factors would hang up and retire with them as viewers. There are a lot more than you think...and just because they're older and don't go on the internet as much as some of your IWC mongers...doesn't mean they don't exist.

i completely agree. tna has become a second rate wwe and i dont like that. they have become so obsessed with beating and competing with wwe its gonna be their downfall. Dixie carter needs to look at history and what happened with wcw and ecw. they cant afford to get too cocky, yes they have awesome talent and yes they put on amazing matches but tna cant be overcrowded with talent from wwe. tna should showcase talent from all over. the indies,japan. you know. they are suppose to make stars not destroy their own stars that they built.

Question, since when is it bad to sign people from another promotion? Honestly, people make TNA seem like the devil by doing so. But does it matter where they used to work or how they work? Quite frankly, the way I see it, TNA hired only three useless idiots and that's Jeff Hardy, Hall and Pac.

Kurt Angle has been nothing short of flawless in TNA. He is arguably their biggest star, even though it's AJ in my mind. He put on some classic, classic moments and outstanding matches.

Kevin Nash is Kevin Nash. He's not the best in the ring, but show me a guy that posseses more natural mic skills. Nash has also been associated with only good things in TNA ( aside from his Band crap )

Sting, Booker and Steiner all helped TNA in their own ways, they certainly didn't hurt it.

The list goes on. How about next time you bring ex-WWE, WCW and ECW guys, you go ahead and check the WWE roster and count THEIR ex-WCW, TNA and ECW guys. Why people don't pay attention to that is beyond me. And hey, a little hint, the guys TNA hired actually did something nice in TNA, the majority of the guys WWE hired were mistreated and made to look like absolute dung. See the difference?

---

On to the topic. Will TNA have its own identity? I sure as hell hope so, and even though I'm a huge TNA fan, I think TNA used to have its own identity some years ago.

I started watching TNA in late 2009 for a few reasons.

1. I absolutely love how simple the company is. The production isn't good, the arena isn't huge, the fans are fired up, nothing fancy, no glitz and no glam to try to distract the viewer from the actual wrestling. Call me crazy, but I love that and I hate WWE's crazy pyro and titantrons and videos, they're just yuck.

2. The Wrestling. People always considered the spot fest that TNA used to dish out to be a bad thing. Personally, I think it was a breath of fresh air. I got to see things that I've not seen in a ring before. Plus, the guys somehow managed to create a story using the crazy moves - that's freaking art. I was immediately drawn to it like a moth to a nuclear explosion.

Personally, many things have been dpme in wrestling but one thing I never saw in a mainstream promotion is to have a company solely based on these same spot fests. The fans love them, they fire them up and even though it makes wrestling look even more staged, you can't deny that it's entertaining. If you can cope with the five knuckle shuffle - you can cope with spotfests. I think that this is the direction TNA should still have. Have some good 'ol grappling, of course, but also the spotfests. That's something WWE doesn't have and never will have because to Vince 'wrestling' is a dirty slur.

3. The cool gimmicks and variety of characters. That is something they preserved. Everyone has their own personality, they're different, they're individuals, whereas in WWE all the heels seem to follow one sample ( monotonous talking, suits, ego ) and the faces are not far behind ( always smiling even though it doesn't fucking fit you, always saying how much you love the fans, always respecting your oponent ).

4. Six Sided Ring. Some hated it, I had no problem with it. It was TNA's symbol, their 'thing'. I loved it, and I sure as hell want it back.

To me, that's TNA's identity. They tried to fix something that's not broken. But, incorporating the current feel of the company with the old TNA would make for a hot ass company in my view.

TNA did have it's own identity. The x-division and knockouts division. That didn't work out too well. This past month has been the best direction and writing that TNA has ever had, and I've been watching since the once a week pay per views. Hopefully they keep it up and build off of these past few episodes. And get the title to Anderson or the Pope already. RVD isn't doing it for many. Maybe this ecw storyline gets him invold and he'll be written into a storyline of some sort.

As far as identity, right now TNA is a place where the attitude era can, but hasn't happened.

Can we have some examples of these spin offs?
Booker T and his last TNA gimmick = WWE King Booker
Mr. Anderson.....Anderson = WWE Kennedy.... Kennedy
TNA Christian = WWE Christian = TNA Christian
TNA The Band = nWo... same gimick and knock off song.
Fortune = Four Horseman
Sting in the rafters = WCW Sting from the nWo invasion.
TNA EV2.0 = ECW
Now that is just naming a few.
But that is not a bad thing, these guys have grown into the character and do it well, so they should take it with them... be it TNA, WWE, AAA, NWA, Nu-Wrestling, etc.
TNA has fallen far from where it started, but it is still a great product. One that enjoy way more than WWE in the past 10 years.
TNA having its own identity...... I think it does, look its Tag Team Division, MCMG, Beer Money, Team 3D, Ink Inc., used to have British Invasion, WE, etc.
TNA's identity is true wrestling, attempting to keep it "real" for the fans.

Total Non-Stop Action Wrestling was created back in 2002 so the company has been around for eight years now. I remember the TNA product from back before they had a television deal with anybody when they were on weekly pay per view on Wednesdays for $10 a show. I remember their X-Division was off the chain as far as bringing up new talent and introducing them to the world with the likes of A.J. Styles, Amazing Red, and others.

Yeah they brought in former WWE talent like D'Lo Brown, Raven, and Crash Holly aka Mad Mikey (R.I.P.). But that was bound to happen anyways. But over the last few years TNA (Dixie Carter) hell bent on competing against the WWE, has changed up the product to the point where the TNA wrestling from the beginng started to fade away in thin air.

Boss, I feel where you are coming from on the questions you are having. However, I am not sure how long you have been watching wrestling but if you follow any of the old school stuff, then you'll know what I am talking about when I mention the points I am about to make.

Rewind back to 1983-1984 when there were multiple companies some more successful than others like Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling - WCW's precursor, the AWA and the WWF (before they got the "F" out) was starting its national and eventually global expansion. Their talent pool was a very adept one there is no doubt about it, Bob Backlund, whom I find bland but that's only my opinion, to me I was never into his whole goody two shoes act, but hell the guy was a great draw for his time and an astounding athlete. He led the WWF through the rest of the 70s and into the 1980s after Bruno Sammartino's days wound down in the ring as a main attraction. Along with Backlund you had supersatrs that were also over with the crowd, i.e. Don Muraco, Pedro Morales, and The Samoans are just a few examples of what the pre-Hulkamania WWF was.

However, by the time Hogan came back to the WWF with his Hulkamania persona (which by and large really started in AWA and not the WWF) there were other wrestlers that soon followed and believe me they weren't all homegrown WWF stars. Granted the WWF was around for some 20 plus years back this point back when it hard started as the WWWF and with Sammartino it was a very successful territory but it was not what Mid-Atlantic/Jim Crockett Promotions and the AWA was at that time. Therefore, Vince McMahon in addition to Hogan lured a lot of stars from the aforementioned organizations into the WWF some were wrestlers that previously visited the WWF when it was still a territory for some matches and others were already established stars elsewhere. On that list you have Greg Valentine (who some may not know wrestled Backlund for the World Title in the early 80s but he was more or less a staple elsewhere as the NWA US Champion and to many fans did not have the same association with the WWF despite his success there prior to his mid 80s return), Roddy Piper whom himself had a bitter feud with Greg Valentine over the previously mentioned NWA US Title, just watch Starrcade 83 for their classic dog collar match, Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis who were AWA World Tag Team Champions. In addition to those acquisitions they also got "Mean" Gene Okerlund and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan as announcer and manager/occasional wrestler respectively. Let's also not forget that despite Stampede Wrestling being a company that had no plans to my knowledge in becoming a global entity they still did interpomotional business with organizations like WWC in Puerto Rico and Japan. They were another target of the WWF's talent raid. The names Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Jim Neidhart and Dynamite Kid are fine examples of that. I know a lot of promoters of the territories did not like Vince McMahon coming in and taking these stars away, so what WCW did to Vince in the mid-90s I would say was a bit of karma. I'm not outwardly bashing WWF/E but I gotta call it like I see it. No organization is innocent of talent raiding in the pro wrestlng business.

In the pre-internet days those who read wrestlng publications knew of these performers being associated with other wrestlng entitites and not the WWF. Ironically enough, these aforementioned acquisitions never get brought up on these boards to my knowledge but people who constantly lambaste the former WCW and TNA for acquiring talent from other organizations conveniently forgot the number of acquistions the WWF made during the Wrestling Boom. Even Vince himself admitted on several DVDs when interviewed that at the time of the WWF's expansion he went on a hunt to get as much talent as he could. You may not have been aware of WWE's long history depending on how long you've been watching but reading old wrestling magazines and watching retrospects on DVD are a fine educator of how all these wrestling companies came to be.

Granted in many cases TNA is acquiring some of these names that are now much older can't work the same schedule like they once had but in defense their roles have greatly changed in TNA. I.e. Hulk Hogan's not running wild carrying the strap and The Band's title reign was very short lived and preceding that victory which in the storylines was very shallow due to the controversial circumstances they booked for the match Hall, Nash and Waltman ending up losing several matches against younger talent like Beer Money. Those who thought the nWo was going to run rougshod in another company were quickly proven wrong. Albeit Scott Hall and Sean Waltman's departures definitely helped kill that possibility anyway, but still there was opportunity to at least attempt such a redux and it never happened. Then there are the younger talents like The Pope, Mr. Anderson, Matt Morgan, Brian Kendrick and others that are having a chance to compete on prime time TV every week. Granted these individuals made notice in the wrestlng world in WWE first, but again go back years ago when the then-WWF pulled similar tactics and no one can deny that they did.

So I definitely feel TNA can get their own identity and trying to work with completely unknown talent is not the way to go. While I am not completely confident about TNA's future in becoming just as big as WWE, I am not completely dismissing them. I think they can find themselves in a good position to keep a product running because they've done it for almost a decade. Again, people forget that after the wrestlng boom of the mid 90s to early 2000s bottomed out, and WCW got sold to the WWF after Turner Broadcasting cancelled all WCW programming wrestling took a major hit. Vince got his wish had wrestling all to himself. A few organizations tried to fill that niche and so far TNA has been the only way to come anywhere close, despite how much derision they get.

People keep forgeting that when WCW came and gave WWF a run for its money, a precedent was set with two promotions openly clawing at each other in the spirit of competition. Even back in the days of the AWA, Mid-Atlantic and WWWF there was still some rivalry but in the pre-cable and interent days it was NOWHERE near what WWF and WCW was. TNA and any other starting company have a tall order to fill WCW's shoes and compete with the corporate machine WWE is. Which in time has only gotten stronger, I mean pro wrestlng even in this sports entertainment and PG era like so many people call it, is still the gold standard. I hate the product myself but they are top notch and they know what they're doing. Other factors that I think don't help TNA's case in trying to be a bigger competitor are things like WWE's Brand Extension (RAW and Smackdown) it's the Pro Wrestling world's equivalent to the American League and National League like Major League Baseball has.

By creating two different talent showcases like WWE has, it esentially makes a challenge for any other company trying to compete, I say that because even if some people at first didn't get everyone warm and fuzzy it's a move that has worked. Just like there are baseball fans that like the AL and others that like the NL style of baseball, or the AFC/NFC styles of football. There are those who prefer RAW as opposed to Smackdown or at one time ECW as a show of their choice. And like legitimite sports, there are those that will watch them all. Either way WWE created all these additional outlets to RAW that it really is a tough nut to crack to compete with them these days.

So to dismiss TNA as being WWE lite or not having its own identity is preposterous, yes they have a lot of key talent from other companeis but like I outlined, WWF was the SAME EXACT thing at one time. Sure a lot of TNA characters have continued their characters from WWE but no one was complaining when Hogan came back to WWF from the AWA with his Hulkamania schtick. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash minus the snazzy nicknames were still Razor and Diesel more or less. Change can be good but it's not good if it's unnecessarily abrupt. In some cases it does work, for example, The Pope shedding his name as Elijah Burke and starting TNA with a clean slate. The guy is one of their top stars and I think will continue to be. Going to the four sided ring like some people complained out, well some people may forget but TNA started off that way, and it's traditional. It's nice to keep some things old school, I think the six sided ring was a fun thing they borrowed from Mexico, but I myself am not too high on it as a regular fixture. Although I would like to see it back for certain marquee matches, it would be nice for some contexts.

There is still something drawing fans to TNA even if they are vastly smaller in quantity compared to WWE. For people like me who grew up in the Hogan Era/NWA Jim Crockett era and then the Monday Night War are the ones who clamor for the competition from another company, at least that's the vibe I get from people in my age group that are wrestling fans. For fans of a younger generation who have grown up on WWE post brand extension and never saw WCW are being conditioned to think of WWE as RAW, Smackdown and NXT now as well as other programming that's WWE branded. Much like many people in my generation have no concept of what the territories were.

So TNA's sense of identity and amount of success is in my view challenged by how wrestling has just made all these changes throughout the years. That's not to say TNA is a bad organization they just might be a decade too late to compete. However, that doesn't mean they can't exist. It is all a matter of time but WWE's smart business (which does not always make it a good product but still just the same, it has remained a successful product for quite some time) might make things a hard sell for the long run with TNA, but to give them their credit I challenge anyone reading this to tell me which other North American based televised promotion has even come close to showing they can do anything wrestling wise that's not WWE affiilated? Now this last part Savion83 is not directed at you since you spoke with respect towards the issue, but for those TNA bashers that might be reading this take all that in and ask yourselves if you could do any better with running a wrestling promotion.

Mr. Anderson.....Anderson = WWE Kennedy.... Kennedy
TNA Christian = WWE Christian = TNA Christian
Sting in the rafters = WCW Sting from the nWo invasion.

I have to say though that these three have me thinking. If Anderson just came out there as a guy who didn't do the mic schtick (by the way he has been doing that before he got called up and it WASN'T Vince's idea, it was either Heyman or Cornette's from OVW) or if Sting didn't do the creepy rafter thing than there would be people bitching about that too that TNA "took a great character and are not using it to get the guy over". There are so many fence jumpers that want to play both sides as long as it makes them feel good. Plus how can Christian be anything other than himself?

TNA seems to be trying to bring back it's own identity finally even with the ECW crew runnin around (which will proably last a few weeks past Hardcore Justice then fade away so peopl can quit their bitching) they seem to be focusing on their tag division more (which isn't even alive in WWE) as well as making the X Division interesting again. I don't care what anyone says, Williams' "Anti-X" stance is interesting and better than high flye vs high flyer every week. They have recently gotten their stories more straightened out and seem to be in the process of putting the peices in place.

I was listening to Live audio wrestling the other day and the host of the show brought an interesting point about TNA. He said that TNA was doing better buyrate for PPV when before showing up on thursday nights on spike TV.

So what went wrong with TNA that they lost peoples along the way. Could it be the fact that when they move to thursday night, they started slowly to lose their identity as a cutting edge promotion, with the X-division and the tag team division and the wrestling.

That what was seperating TNA from any other promotion in north America, it was the only place, where Young talent were given a chance to be huge star. Where the cruiserweights were able to show what they were able to do and not be just the opening match. Where Tag Team Wrestling used to mean something. TNA the early years use to mean something and they had that identity. But now, instead of focusing on what brought them to the dance, they focus on competing with WWE which is a bad idea.

Sure you need big name guys but these big name guys shouldn't be the focus of the show. TNA need to return to what brought them to the dance in the first place because when a wrestling company was doing better buyrate when they had no t.v show, that mean something.

The problem with TNA and not having it's own Identity is that they have over 1/3 of it's roster as old WWE wrestlers. TNA is doing now what WCW did back in the day. WCW was well known and BEAT WWE in tv raitings, TNA can't hold a candle to WWE even with Hulk Hogan. You see the problem here is your bringing in guys that WWE has thrown away

They all are trying to make their last marks in wrestling but for those like Rick Flair, who got a send off worthy of the greatness that is the dirtyest player in the game was ruined by his on tv in ring return in TNA. This was a way for TNA to screw with WWE.

Ok Rick Flair putting Jay over and making him a bigger star is not a bad thing yet watching Hogan back in the ring and dealing with Abyss reminds me of the Ultimate Warrior, Yeah if you don't know go to Youtube and watch the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior. This with Hogan and even the ECW crew reminds me of when WCW brought in the warrior when the NWO was running wild in WCW when it was still new and good. Like the Warrior/Hogan match in WCW Hogans last match in TNA made me cry. It was just as bad. I remember Hogan talking about his match with the Warrior and doing the interview saying 'Vince must be laughing at us' and I think with Hogans last match Vince was laughing again.

Another thing I watch is TNA taking shots at WWE. A way to give the fans more to enjoy, always a good thing but these cheap shots don't help ratings cause people don't tune in. WWE doesn't even seem to think TNA is a threat or even on the same level cause everything TNA throws at WWE it just bounces off. Look at Jan 4th 2010, Hogan made his return just as the Hitman did. Ratings don't lie, I for one watched the return of the hitman. This farther proves my point that TNA is second to WWE and will never be their own without getting rid of people like hogan who steal the spotlight.

Christian was smart. He went back to WWE. He might not be a champion like he was in TNA but you have to remember. WWE made him, TNA gave him a strap but IMO it was cause he jumpped from WWE to TNA.

Lets look at what TNA has done since going to SpikeTV

The Band = WolfPac nWo
World Elite = WWE Corporation run by Vince in the 90's
Fortune = Four Horseman
Main Event Mafia = Legacy

Really do I need to go on?

In short TNA will never have it's own Identity untill they dump all the wanna-be WWE stars except for Pope. TNA made him WWE wasted his talent.

the only indentity i ever see TNA having is the indentity of WWE's ******ed step brother, unless they quit rehashing lame out of date WWF/WCW/WWE storylines. yeah u need some vets around fot the experience and name recogniton but come on when yer devoting a whole PPV to some old lame ass ECW nobodies yer identity is pretty much gone. focus on yer originals and the real talent u have. sorry but watchin someone get hit with a 2X4 with nails in it or getting slammed thru a table onto tacks isnt original its been done. if TNA wants to reestablish its own identity go back to awesome tag teams and yer X division. quit bein a 2nd rate wannabe company. get someone in that knows their shit on how to run a successful wrestling biz and quit throwin money around to hasbeens/failures. if a majority of the wrestlers u brought in didnt make it in another organization with 100 times the value and 100 times the audience what makes ya think theyre gonna make it in TNA they aint. point, use yer own talent use what made u stand out and in time u will succeed. maybe not ever as big as a WCW or WWE but u can still succeed and get an identity.

It's an interesting question and a valid one, despite the fact that many TNA fans don't seem to have a problem with the fact that TNA is allowing itself to be defined by nostalgia rather than its own merits.

If TNA is able to stay around long enough, it seems logical that they'll eventually find a way to forge their own path and leave their own mark. There's also the possibility that, if they're around long enough, they'll manage to find their way back to the identity that they used to have. At one time, TNA could legitimately be called an alternative to the WWE because they were out there doing their own thing with their own brand of matches and with homegrown talent.

Now, is there anything wrong with hiring wrestlers that are already established stars and have been made so by other companies? Honestly, I think it all depends upon how you use them. For most of the past several years, TNA has primarily used its younger talent in order to put the older and more established wrestlers over. We've seen it happen that way with Mick Foley, Sting, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and others. The Main Event Mafia is a perfect example of that strategy and that strategy in and of itself has helped contribute to the negative light in which some people have grown to see TNA.

TNA also catches a lot of criticism for rehashing the past or "ripping off" angles or gimmicks and all that. Rehashing the past is common in wrestling, I agree, but that's not really the problem. The problem is that TNA doesn't really try to add or alter anything to make it seem fresh. Rob Van Dam, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Ken Anderson, Team 3D, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Sting, and others have been brought into TNA, but TNA hasn't attempted to craft identities for these wrestlers. Jeff Hardy & Ken Anderson are EXACTLY the same characters in TNA that they had in the WWE. TNA even calls Jeff Hardy "The Charismatic Enigma", which is a little nickname that Jim Ross started calling Hardy while commentating. It's one thing to rehash older storylines and wrestling characters. It's another thing to, for all intents and purposes, do the exact same storylines featuring the exact same wrestlers using the exact same characters that they portrayed.

TNA also catches a lot of criticism for rehashing the past or "ripping off" angles or gimmicks and all that. Rehashing the past is common in wrestling, I agree, but that's not really the problem. The problem is that TNA doesn't really try to add or alter anything to make it seem fresh. Rob Van Dam, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Ken Anderson, Team 3D, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Sting, and others have been brought into TNA, but TNA hasn't attempted to craft identities for these wrestlers. Jeff Hardy & Ken Anderson are EXACTLY the same characters in TNA that they had in the WWE. TNA even calls Jeff Hardy "The Charismatic Enigma", which is a little nickname that Jim Ross started calling Hardy while commentating. It's one thing to rehash older storylines and wrestling characters. It's another thing to, for all intents and purposes, do the exact same storylines featuring the exact same wrestlers using the exact same characters that they portrayed.

Then, if it's SUCH a bad thing, how come WWE never brought back Scot Hall as Razor Ramon and Kevin Nash as Diesel? How come Goldberg had the EXACT same character as he had in WCW? How come Scott Steiner was the same Scott Steiner we saw in WCW? How come Chris Jericho was the same Chris Jericho as he was in WCW, Japan, ECW? How come The Big Show was still the same, just a different name? How come RVD, Booker, and pretty much all the WCW/ECW guys kept their gimmicks?

Fact is, it would be PRETTY stupid if TNA brought Sting in with a different persona or different anything. It's Sting! Same goes for Kurt, Anderson, Hardy, everyone.

My honest take on a thread like this is it shouldn't have been made, its going to lead to a whole bunch of people becoming defensive when a simple question was asked. Since the question has come into play i will say this in the defense of TNA, regardless if they are copying a lot which i agree they are. They are doing it because they believe its going to work and move them up in the wrestling industry. Do they necessarily need their own identity... no, would it help... possibly.

I also want to add part of the question didn't make sense for a few reasons. The main one being about the wrestlers coming into TNA and using the same characters. This is not a new practice invented by TNA, just about any company that brings in past stars from another company has done this. Its actually how it should be done because the character is already established and everyone will know just what that person is capable of and ideally would be more likely to watch.

TNA hiring old WCW/WWF stars is a different thing than Vince McMahon raiding the territories in the early '80s for talent. The biggest difference is that McMahon grabbed guys who were at or near their peaks, where TNA has to settle for guys who, at least in WWE's opinion, are too old and/or broken down to still be top attractions. Hogan, Nash, Flair, Booker and Steiner were all let go by WWE because WWE didn't want them any more.

The only guys TNA got when they had something in the tank have been Christian, Angle, Jeff Hardy and Ken Anderson. (I'm not counting guys who never really made it in WWE, like Matt Morgan and Elijah Burke/D'Angelo Dinero--I count those guys as TNA stars, because that's where they became stars)

Early TNA had an identity, mostly from the X Division. But Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter have always been about moving to challenge the WWE, becoming the Miller to WWE's Budweiser, instead of being the Sam Adams, focusing on a different kind of product and being successful at it.

I think that a one-hour show at 11 pm or midnight built around AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle, D'Angelo Dinero, Desmond Wolfe, the Knockouts they had a year ago, LAX, Beer Money and MCMG could be profitable. But it would never challenge WWE, and should never try.

TNA has always been WCW v2 (a really weak WCW)
and aslong as they have the same production team, same commentry
Same guys in the forefront, same idiotic booking and storylines

It will continue to be WCW v2

TNA was "T.N.A" with the X-Division, that idea was atleast somewhat original, not the high flying aspect but the fact that anyone could hold the title.
and the six sided ring, although that wasn't original, it's something WWE has never done and never will so thats something that would set them apart in that aspect

Saying all of that, they don't have to create there own identity, all they have to do is be entertaining and entice people to want to pay to watch as an alternative or as the only choice, which IMO they fail to do every single week.

Saying all of that, they don't have to create there own identity, all they have to do is be entertaining and entice people to want to pay to watch as an alternative or as the only choice, which IMO they fail to do every single week.

I think that identity is the key factor in the process of enticing the fans. Back in the day I was damn proud to call myself a wrestling fan. Back when Austin was aroun, Rock, and even a little bit before their peak - the DX times. Why? Because WWE had an identity. You liked WWE - you liked badass stuff, etc.

People need to associate themselves with what the company stands for. TNA's motto "Cross the Line" and their whole "We're gonna do what we wanna do" attitude got me watching. Personally I stand for that in my life and I'd much rather watch these guys who seem a bit rebellious to me, going against that corporate scum called the McMahons. See? That sort of thing. It's very important. Plus, it makes you seem like a serious company, not a knock off of another one. TNA needs to get their shit straight. I enjoy the product now, very much so, but they have potential to increase the entertainment value tenfold and it's untapped. Hope they tap it. Tap it very, very soon.

To me as a relatively new TNA fan (since they went to the square ring), I think TNA has an identity. Its not aimed at the kiddies and they aren't afraid to show a little juice every once in a while, or say "asshole" on the air. There are no really outragous characters or gimmicks like in WWE. In my opinion TNA's identity is that it is adult entertainment.

Ric-Flair.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back