• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will there ever be an over the top gimmick in the WWE again?

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
We look at the Undertaker who is in reality, a Zombie. He shoots lighting from the sky, he creates a mist while he walks, and he never dies. Or something like that. To say the least, he is one of the most over the top gimmicks in the WWE. But he is successful. Many gimmicks have come and fallen. But will there be another over the top gimmick that will ever be as successful as him?

I really don't think so. There have been some gimmicks that have fallen, but I can only think of one that is as close to The undertaker yet successful, and that is Kane. But Kane is an upper midcard wrestler, and has been for most of his career. And over the top? The guy is more like a burn victim that likes fire.

Perhaps The Warrior could be considered as over the top, he used to contact other planets for support. So will anyone ever reach that level again?

The only thing I can really think of that comes to mind is Mordecai, but I wonder how many people even remember that character/gimmick.

Though, he was basically just an opposite version of The Undertaker I liked it and from what I remember he got some decent crowd reaction. Though I dont think he would have lasted nearly as long.

But for the future, who knows. It might have to be one of those long length of vignettes being run on TV in order to build up enough hype. If someone just walked out as, say, a fusion human-panda bear gimmick in these days and times with no extended period of hype....it would get shot down before he even entered the ring.

P.S: by no means do I think a hybrid Human-Panda Bear gimmick is a good idea....

I think it can be done, WWE just has to put the effort into it. The Boogeyman was around not too long ago, but he was also a joke. I never thought that Kevin Fertig was someone that the WWE could get behind as a wrestler so Mordecai failed as well. But if they built it right they could do it, they have after all forced a Lepracaun down our throats for like 3 years straight now.

Have you all forgotten The Hurricane? The Hurricane is a completely over the top gimmick and an absolute blast. I love him. He has the music, the superhero look, and he's way over. It's a shame they aren't putting him on TV more often.

I think the reason I like him so much is BECAUSE he's over the top and stands out as a stark contrast to the boring "real" wrestlers in the WWE.

I don't know. On the one hand, the over the top gimmick is what makes wrestling different from everything else, but it is also what makes it the figure of ridicule. Abortive attempts to do over the top gimmicks have been quite embarassing in recent years both in TNA with Black Reign and the WWE with Mordecai. What I would say is that it is possible, as long as they don't go down this route again. It's been done, nobody will be another Undertaker.

However, it can be done another way. Pirate Burchill and The Hurricane are as ridiculous as the Undertaker, when you think about it, but completely different in their application. To sum up, I can only see there being comedy over the top characters from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back