• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Ronda Rousey be the one to push Womens MMA main stream?

JWGunslinger

Warrior Forever
Much like regular MMA, womens mixed martial arts wasn't exactly well received when it first started to build. Not many people thought that they could fight at the elite level of men or that they would be as entertaining. But the ladies have taken some big steps in the past few years and a few select women have made their marks as female fighting icons.

Most notably to casual fans was Gina Carano who not only had the fun style and Randy Couture in her corner but she was charming and beautiful. Unfortunately for us fans she has moved on to Hollywood to seek fame there, but she'll be remembered as the first big face for female fighters.
Then there was the roided up she male Cris Cyborg who didn't get fans with charm and looks but a brutal and powerful offense that no woman could withstand, not even Carano. However when she tested positive she was stripped of her title and now is likely to leave the promotion and won't continue to build her legacy which suffered a major blow.

And now there is Ronda Rousey, the captivating bantamweight champion who is not only impressive in the cage where she hasn't even come close to being beaten (with 6 pro wins in the first round by Armbar) and her personality is just as welcoming. But on top of these great things she has what those other ladies did not, commitment.
Not only would she never do performance enhancing drugs but she is also firmly set in MMA as her career and her life. She has stated that she is not interested in Hollywood because her place is competing in the cage, martial arts has been part of who she is since she was a kid learning techniques from her Judo Champion mother. This woman has something special as a fighter and has the personality to make people love her and sell fights. Although it is a bit sad, part of what it takes to be a true female MMA icon is looks and a personality on top of talent. Though that may be a hindrance and annoyance to the likes of Sarah Kaufman, Ronda doesn't have anything to worry about.
If she continues to do what she does I am fully confident she will bring in more fans, build a good reputation for her sport and for women in MMA everywhere. If the female divisions can build up enough while she's still fighting I can easily see her being the first female to fight in the UFC, Dana is high on her and so should you.

So what do you think? Does Rousey have what it takes and is womens MMA ready to take the next big step forward?

I'm convinced that Cris Cyborg has a penis. I just had to say that.

A few of the MMA regulars may know that at first I was a Rousey doubter. She has proven to be pretty damn legit however. She was able to beat Miesha Tate, who is great on the ground, and she just beat Sarah Kaufman who is pretty good on the feet. There will always be haters who will show doubt, but I think she has proven to be skilled enough. Add to that her charisma, her looks, and her way with words that makes Chael Sonnen blush, she is the woman to do it.

As JWG mentioned, Carano seemed like she was the woman, and she will go down as the first big star of women's MMA, but a pretty bad beating sent her running to Hollywood.

Lady Cyborg's penis aside, she was skilled enough, but she spoke less than stellar English, and as shallow as it may be, she was not attractive. Then the failed drug test really hurt her.

Rousey is the complete package. She also has a budding rivalry with Miesha Tate, and Tate is is attractive and skilled enough to get mainstream attention, plus she trains with the likes of Urijah Faber at Team Alpha Male, so she has name value around her.

When you add all those things up Rousey is without a doubt the best chance to take Women's MMA to the top.

It would depend on two things, and unfortunately I don't see it happening.

Gina Carano would have to come back, and both her and Cyborg would have to be able to make weight at 135.

Imagine if you have Carano, Cyborg, Ronda, and Tate all at 135. You can make the excitement in that division last for a good 2 to 3 years with those four names alone. It would be incredible.

However, without Carano and Cyborg, Miesha Tate will remain Ronda's only competition and that just won't cut it. No woman in this sport will be able to carry WMMA on their back all by themselves. They will need competition, and unfortunately, it doesn't look like Ronda will be getting that anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back