• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why TNA Will Survive Until 2017

johnbragg

Championship Contender
TNA's Indian TV deal is worth $60M over 2015-2022

The money from the Sony Six deal comes in at the beginning of the year. $60M over 8 years is about $7.5M per year (it might be structured so that the payment increases over the life of the contract.) So the parties fighting in court and registering claims on TNA's assets have a strong incentive to make sure that somebody pays for some TV tapings for early 2017 so that the Sony Six contract isnt' voided and there's a $6-7M check to fight over.

Assuming that deal isn't broken due to TNA not honoring their end of the bargain.

From the Wrestling Observer by way of 411mania.com on June 16, 2016.

Another story that needs to be watched is the tour of India. TNA’s tour got cancelled last year, and they will need to tour there this year to honor the terms of the contract. Sony Six will cover some of the tour costs, but it will still cost TNA a “significant amount of money” to run. If for some reason they cannot run the tour, and breach the deal with Sony Six, that would be considered a disaster because the Sony Six deal is one of the few sources of significant income that the company has.

In other words, Sony Six actually wants something for all the money they're pumping into TNA. Unless I've completely missed it, TNA hasn't said a single word about touring India by the end of 2016. If they can barely run Orlando, how in the world are they going to go halfway around the world for a tour?

Assuming that deal isn't broken due to TNA not honoring their end of the bargain.

From the Wrestling Observer by way of 411mania.com on June 16, 2016.

In other words, Sony Six actually wants something for all the money they're pumping into TNA. Unless I've completely missed it, TNA hasn't said a single word about touring India by the end of 2016. If they can barely run Orlando, how in the world are they going to go halfway around the world for a tour?

I suppose it depends on how long the tour would last, if it's a whirlwind tour then a limited roster would be fine with Mahabali Shera being the highlight (God help us all). Equipment costs would be the big money burner.

They've taped enough content to get them through to the end of the year, possibly with a couple of 'best of' or 'ONO's' so the remaining 10 weeks or so of this year will be interesting with all that's going on outside of the ring while Impact is showing.

The issue isn't that TNA doesn't have money coming in from advertising deals and TV deals around the world, the problem is the outgoing funds exceeds what's coming in. They're in the exact same boat Jimmy Crockett was in in the late '80s that forced him to sell to Turner. Everything that's coming in has already been spent, and then some.

This has to be the best story going in wrestling. Sure beats the once exciting X Division and awesome Tag Team matches TNA once put out.

If they were to go to India, please do NOT put the title on Sherba or whatever his name is. I can see it now "Heavyweight title changes hands in India" while watching Edward's be champion on TV! That would be nice. Well, not really. I am not a forecaster or Nostradamus, but I do hope to see TNA live and be badge under a new name with Corgan truly in charge. But at this point who knows what is going to happen since it is more then likely Dixie could mess up a wet dream.

TNA, at most recent estimation, pulls down between $40-60 million per year in revenue- counting International Television Deal Money- and is spending some number larger than that in expenses.

This is money that is already accounted for. It's not a reward for existing to any prospective owners; they aren't pricing out six million dollar boats with that money, but using it to cover TNA's ongoing expenses.

So this is more of a case of 'if Sony Six pulls out, TNA dies immediately.'

TNA, at most recent estimation, pulls down between $40-60 million per year in revenue- counting International Television Deal Money- and is spending some number larger than that in expenses.

Do we have a source for that? Because I'm very skeptical that TNA is pulling in $20 or $40M in revenues. Where is the money going?

It's not going to pay the wrestlers, who are paid poorly and paid late. Not to pay the costs of TV tapings, which TNA has to beg for loans to finance. Not to pay their tax bill or travel bills--those get put on an AmEx card and not paid.

So who exactly said that TNA is pulling in $40M in revenue? How are they pulling in $40M in revenue if their biggest TV deal pays about $7M a year?

Do we have a source for that? Because I'm very skeptical that TNA is pulling in $20 or $40M in revenues. Where is the money going?

It's not going to pay the wrestlers, who are paid poorly and paid late. Not to pay the costs of TV tapings, which TNA has to beg for loans to finance. Not to pay their tax bill or travel bills--those get put on an AmEx card and not paid.

So who exactly said that TNA is pulling in $40M in revenue? How are they pulling in $40M in revenue if their biggest TV deal pays about $7M a year?
Do you have a source on what TNA's biggest TV deal is, or how many of them there are?

The call for a source is normally valid, but, c'mon, consider the subject of discussion here. A privately owned company led by a woman with a reputation for lying about the condition of her professional wrestling business. We are pretty much guaranteed to be working with very few solid facts here. (That the Sony Six deal is not 'new' money open to pleasure expenditure is one of them.)

So we have to use round numbers, speculate based on what we know, and take our estimations into account when reviewing our analysis. Hence how we end up with a very large band of $40-60m, which is based upon TNA having 10% of their yearly revenue in debt (a frequent threshold for legal action, as it's usually a Point of No Return).

NYPost article that references $40M TNA valuation, $20M revenue number

Corgan says the relevant parties have agreed on a sale price. Although he can’t reveal the figure, an estimate based on publicly traded WWE’s market value of two times revenue would put it at around $40 million

I'm guessing that "[Corgan] can't reveal the figure" means "Corgan told me off the record that TNA has $20M in revenue which led him to the $40M total company value number."

Sony Six India pays somewhere around $7M per year.
Challenge TV (UK) pays (wild guess) $2M? (1/4 of the $8M Spike was paying in 2014).

If TNA spilts the ad revenue from Impact on POP 50/50, then about $500,000.

TNA gets next-to-nothing from PPV revenue. (They were regularly below 20,000 before they dropped monthly PPVs, and I can't imagine more people buying the ONOs). Say 2 PPVs * $20 per buy * 15,000 = $600,000, plus say $5 * 10 * 5000 = $250,000 for the ONOs. I've finally concluded (after wondering for years) that the ONOs are taped to satisfy the international TV contracts, which include monthly 3-hour specials.

Live gate isn't much when you do most of your shows in the Impact Zone. Merchandising, licensing, non-English-speaking TV doesn't add up to much.

So $20M is probably a very generous estimate (or possibly a fraudulent set of numbers that Dixie used to convince Corgan to value TNA at $40M). Possibly as low as $10M if the Sony Six contract is backloaded (starting at say $5M and increasing every year to say $10M in the last year.)

Do you have a source on what TNA's biggest TV deal is, or how many of them there are?

Larry Csonka, 411mania. Obviously the question is how does he know, but there's the link anyway.

The call for a source is normally valid, but, c'mon, consider the subject of discussion here. A privately owned company led by a woman with a reputation for lying about the condition of her professional wrestling business. We are pretty much guaranteed to be working with very few solid facts here. (That the Sony Six deal is not 'new' money open to pleasure expenditure is one of them.)

It's not new money, but it's close to guaranteed money. If you're holding TNA IOUs and trying to figure out how much you can recoup and how, you *might* be willing to pay for some tapings in December, or at least sign off on some other dumb bastard lending TNA money for some tapings in December, so that TNA doesn't default on the TV contracts and lose the Sony Six and Challenge TV money. Then when the international checks come in move for a forced bankruptcy.

I'm basically saying that the Sony Six deal, plus whatever Challenge is paying, is by far the lions' share of TNA's annual revenue. And for the creditors to get back a single dime, those international checks have to come in. And for those checks to come in, there has to be either TV taped or tapings scheduled for January's Impacts and an ONO. And somebody's going to have to pay for that to happen.

So we have to use round numbers, speculate based on what we know, and take our estimations into account when reviewing our analysis. Hence how we end up with a very large band of $40-60m, which is based upon TNA having 10% of their yearly revenue in debt (a frequent threshold for legal action, as it's usually a Point of No Return).

You're using the 10% debt-to-revenue benchmark. I respect that, but I disagree in this case. Because TNA's finances are so opaque, and because they've never been a well-oiled machine financially, I think Dixie Carter gave the creditors a false picture of TNA's financial status. And I suspect that Aroluxe and the Harris Brothers allowed TNA to run up unwise levels of debt to Aroluxe in order to coerce a sale to Aroluxe.

In the last post, I sketched out why I really don't believe that TNA makes more than $20M a year in revenue. And I suspect it's a lot closer to $10M. Consider what TNA's expenses are, now that they've shed any talent that was making more than the minimum, and ask yourself--if TNA were booking $30M a year in revenue, why wouldn't they have paid Audience of One, the Tennessee revenooers, American Express Travel, etc?

I think it's fair to assume that Corgan told the New York Post the $40M value and $20M revenue numbers, and that Corgan got the $20M number from Dixie and her CFO. I can't imagine the real number is *larger* than that. I can easily imagine it being half that, though.

It's no longer the case that they don't pay their bills because the money is going to Hogan/Sting/Angle/JWoww/etc or because they're losing tons of money taking Impact on the road. They don't pay their bills because they just aren't bringing in that much money.

TNA gets between $5 and $7 (closer to $7) for every $14.95 buy for One Night Only via the Flipps app.

^This was quoted in January 2016.

March 29◾TNA Impact First-Run Airing Revenue: $18,414

I don't think anyone knows what the split is between TNA & POP TV.

Sony pays something like $7.5m p/a.

Of course, you've got merchandise, the VIP tickets, other tv contracts and stuff to put on top of that.

If TNA is raking in $20-40 million a year, then there's no reason why an operation that size should be in the financial ruin its currently in, so I'm calling bullshit on that number.

$20m maybe but not $40m. They don't tour and only run PPV's along with limited tv taping so if they are generating $40m then the money isn't going back into the company if they're being sued for their debt and have times where they're behind paying their roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back