Why The Current WWE Championship Belt Should NOT Be Replaced

That Other Guy

His Dudeness
This may contain spoilers for those currently not watching RAW

If you noticed at the opening of RAW, the camera zoomed onto the WWE championship belt. It's the same belt we've seen. There has been talk on these forums of this being the time to replace this design with the one that WWE has apparently had ready for months (originally speculated to be the unified championship belt). At first, I was in favor of introducing this new design for the new champion to be crowned tonight, but as I thought about it, I realized that this shouldn't happen. Punk left with the original belt. This is obviously meant to be a huge angle. It has been getting a lot of mainstream media attention (e.g. ESPN). If this attention draws in new viewers, which it likely has and will continue to do, then bringing in a new design for the WWE championship could cause confusion. When Punk shows back up on television with his belt claiming to be the true WWE champion and the person in the ring has a different belt, the new viewers may be lost. I know this sounds ridiculous, but the people who make these decisions always assume the general public is dumb. This is just my two cents. Any other thoughts?

Maybe Punk can show up later on with his take on the belt. To me a new belt is due. But im sure with the (right) gears turning now WWE will unveil it when the time is right. All In Good Time my friends. All In Good Time.

I agree that it is time for a new belt. This one should have been replaced when Cena dropped the rapper gimmick. However, it just doesn't feel like the right time now. I think when Punk returns, they can have a program with him and whoever the champion is then (most likely Cena) to determine who is the undisputed champion. If Cena wins, we probably won't see a new design as he is the one who debuted the current one. But if Punk wins, the new belt could be brought in.

I see it going like this...

1) Have the NEW WWE champion get a newly designed title. While they are wearing it for awhile, have Punk come back and claim that he still holds the REAL WWE title. After some back and forth words with said champ, Punk and Triple H...have H make a match to unify the titles and use the newly designed title as the new WWE championship.

Or if they Dont want to get a new title and dont do a unification...

2) Have the champion wear the title for awhile until Punk comes back. Punk claims that since he has the REAL title, that one must be fake. Have H come out and say that YES, it IS a fake title. With such short notice of not having a title they got a replica to replace it. Set a match to unify the championship, like UFC did with the interm title against the champion.

I think its only logical that with the new "Triple H Era" there needs to be a new title. That title is so old. I dont think that you need a superstar to design a new one...just have H present a new title.

That's actually... a really good point. I was kind of disappointed when I saw the same belt that we've had for the past few years, but CM Punk's return and inevitable feud with the reigning WWE champ will have that much more weight that they're holding identical belts.

That being said, isn't it weird that they're more or less ignoring the fact that the ACTUAL belt is gone?

I agree I think HHH should have brought in a new belt. To say that that was the old championship belt. If they are trying to keep Punk off tv, and not being mentioned then why wouldn't they change the apperance of the belt that way when he does come back they can do the story of it all all over. Being Raw doesn't really have to many actual wrestling matches it kind of would make sense to do it that way.

Punk said that he'd bring a new belt if he becomes Champ. And when he wins against Cena at SS 2011 (Let me hope), i very well believe we will see a new Belt - And i want that to happen. The Belt looks childish.

Yeah the OP has a good point. When you're in a business, you have to assume all your customers are dumb as rocks. I swear I have to hold our customers hands for every little thing because they just don't get it.

Plus, it was kind of cool seeing both Punk and Cena with the same belt. It's like two Supermen, no Cena pun intended, trying to be the guy.

Well it would be as easy as recognizing that the new title is the new WWE championship and that Punk has the old one. Its not rocket science, and I think with almost an entire show dedicated to figuring out who the true WWE Champion is, the newer viewers would be able to grasp that. I mean if your idea of new fans is people from ESPN, like you mentioned, I think they'll be smart enough to figure it out.

I would have to agree that right now is not a good time. But very soon.

We now have a "Who is the undisputed WWE champion"-situation at hands. Both guys with the same belt claiming to be the same thing.

Once the two have battled it out (presumably at Summerslam) it is time for the new design.

Punk said that he'd bring a new belt if he becomes Champ. And when he wins against Cena at SS 2011 (Let me hope), i very well believe we will see a new Belt - And i want that to happen. The Belt looks childish.

This actually seems likely. They'll probably hype up a champion vs. champion match at Summer Slam, then once CM Punk wins there, they will change the look of the belt. Good call.

I think that right now is the perfect time to change it. with the changing of the guard and the new movement of the Triple H era, a new WWE Title belt is a must. I was hoping that the WWE title would have died when CM Punk took it and Vince got axed, but then again, CM Punk wouldn't have any leverage if he disposed the belt and arrived with a new one. Hopefully after SummerSlam we'll see a new, kickass title. Hopefully they go more World Heavyweight style and not Tag Team Style though, cause the tag golds suck!

Really good point and I'm glad he's thinking about the company and not himself. People recognize the title, as ugly as it is, as the WWE title. They see a different title, they might change the channel, thinking the angle is over. I don't care that I don't like the title or that most posters on here don't (believe it or not, most of you were PISSED that they didn't change the title last week, it was actually a reason you disliked the show lol). It matters more what makes sense for the company and bitching if the company does something that is in it's own best interest is dumb.

I think they'll eventually have a new title but it'll be once this is all over.

Really good point and I'm glad he's thinking about the company and not himself. People recognize the title, as ugly as it is, as the WWE title. They see a different title, they might change the channel, thinking the angle is over. I don't care that I don't like the title or that most posters on here don't (believe it or not, most of you were PISSED that they didn't change the title last week, it was actually a reason you disliked the show lol). It matters more what makes sense for the company and bitching if the company does something that is in it's own best interest is dumb.

I think they'll eventually have a new title but it'll be once this is all over.

Actually, this made me think as well. The WWE title as it currently stands, is most definitely loved by the younger crowd. It wouldn't sell as well if they changed it, especially since John Cena was the one who originated that belt. And we all know the children love John Cena.

On the other hand, if CM Punk became popular with the young ones, and they wanted to change the belt, then I'm sure they would.

How can they have a champion vs champion match when CM punk was stripped of the title? Doesnt make sense.

A rematch for the title with punk claiming to be champ makes sense. Plus he has a new contract. He could boast about all the power, stipulations and title matches, money etc that hes guanteed thanks to HHH. He can boast about how he can pretty much do what he wants and can say what he wants to say(creative control). That would be entertaining.

Its basically ripping off mick foley 10 years ago when he had those 50 million contracts to be a special ref, to make a match etc.

IMO a new design should be give once the two WWE titles are unified, with no match announced yet for Summerslam i believe WWE will probably go this route, its the best way to reintroduce the WWE championship to the reality era audience and get rid of the horrible belt that has signified Cena's mark on the company for a considerably long period of time.

But i do agree with you Sign Guy, the belt needs to stay the way it is at this point in time in order to draw in the new audience with the current stoyline, but once the two WWE titles are unified the WWE can then change it.

I think CM Punk should come to Raw next Monday with "edits" to the championship. Have him come with the title all trashed. Telling everyone he trashed the "real" WWE Championship. Then Cena can come out and say some bull like "The real championship is his title because he loves this business and fights for what is right and blah blah blah" something stupid that we will hate. Then at SummerSlam have CM Punk win and introduce the REAL new title belt design.

I believe it should be replaced. According to internet "rumors" (gotta love em) the E has been waiting to unveil a new title for a while now. Since you have 2 champions (although one is a paper champ) a solution needs to be adressed to have a proper champion to enter the new "era" of Corporate H. At summerslam, have the new redesigned WWE championship hanging above the ring in a ladder match, and then the true champion will be decided on who grabs it first.
Thoughts?

I think that the way they are going to work this angle is whoever wins the match between punk and cena at Summerslam is going to win the new title (HOPEFULLY PUNK) i cant stand Cena he dont deserve the title and him beating Ray for the title was a joke)

I do believe that a WWE title design change is definitely overdue it's been far too ugly for far too long. I didn't like it when it was introduced and I don't like it now. But I agree that it should be kept for a little longer as WWE has been in the media recently and being in the media other people are going to watch WWE to see what's going on with the WWE title and if they see a different title to what was in picture, videos etc they will be confused.

A remodeled champ belt would not be as fruitful as letting one or two championships go or alter the structure in general (which could lead to great story lines).

WWE Champion (cross brand)
Heavyweight Champion (Smackdown)
Intercontinental (Raw)
Tag Champs (cross brand)

It's about time to bring importance to #1 Contender matches again, those matches that helped give that mid level push.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back