Why Survivor Series Should Be Replaced With Another Gimmick PPV

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Yes, you read the thread title right. I have been assigned the task of arguing that WWE's Survivor Series concept should be replaced with another gimmick-themed PPV. I believe that this should be the case for two reasons: one, as should already be obvious, Survivor Series IS a gimmick itself; two, WWE no longer has the colorful personalities nor a writing staff creative enough to make Survivor Series work.

Reason 1: Survivor Series IS a gimmick itself

With all due respect to the gentlemen at Chair Shot Reality, saying that Survivor Series shouldn't be replaced by a gimmick-themed PPV is very misleading, precisely because Survivor Series matches (i.e., either 4-on-4 or 5-on-5 elimination matches) are gimmick matches themselves. What's wrong with replacing one type of gimmick with another? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, although my opponents could object to my thought on at least two grounds: one, Survivor Series is a traditional "Big Four" WWE PPV that has been around for 22 years; two, Survivor Series matches allow many different singles or tag-team angles to come together in the most efficient way possible. Why these objections wouldn't work brings me to the second part of my argument.

Reason 2: WWE no longer has the colorful personalities nor a writing staff creative enough to make Survivor Series work.

Personally, I think the Survivor Series PPVs of the late 80s and early 90s were some of the best that the WWF/WWE ever produced. Why this is so has everything to do with such personalities as Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan and what I can only assume was the WWF's writing staff at that time.

Unfortunately for current WWE fans, they don't have the benefit of watching such syndicated shows as Tuesday Night Titans and WWF Challenge. While some may see these programs as nothing more mere recap shows, their main purpose, in my opinion, was to sell you on the WWF's upcoming PPVs, and the banter and joint commentary of Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan masterfully accomplished this end. By utilizing the face vs. heel commentator angle that they themselves perfected, Monsoon and Heenan fully informed you, with match and promo clips and their own biased opinions, of the reasons behind each and every match on a PPV's card. By the end of each syndicated show they hosted, you knew why each match on a PPV's card was taking place and why you should care about it. In stark contrast to Monsoon and Heenan, Michael Cole, Matt Striker, Todd Grisham, and (today's) Jerry Lawler are little more than mediums for ads, product placements, and shit one-liners. Besides being unable to sell viewers on PPVs like the commentators of yore could, I would go so far as to say that these men couldn't do it even if they had the syndicated talk/commentating shows that Monsoon and Heenan had.

On a closing note, I'd like to say that the blame for WWE's inability to successfully market and handsomely profit from a PPV like Survivor Series shouldn't be solely placed on the shoulders of WWE's current commentators. Part, if not all, of the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of WWE's writing staff. Week in and week out, WWE's current writers show that they are incapable of booking more than three to four decent storylines at one time for Raw and for Smackdown. If they can't even create 10 to 15 concurrent storylines, what makes you think that they'd be able to pare a comparable number of storylines down into two or three carefully detailed and organized Survivor Series matches?

Poon,

The late 80's and 90's were some of the best!

I remember going to SS 95 when they had a wild card match where they mixed the heels and faces and it included the Bulldog and HBK Ahmed Johnson, Owen Hart....and at the time seeing a team with a mix of heels and faces was earth shattering.

There is a serious lack of creativity compared to what there used to be...but the product and perimiters the creative staff is given to work with is much less enjoyable then what it use to be for a writer. SS was one of a few PPV's and they had much less TV to write for and keep stories fresh and moving.

But my problem with getting rid of SS is that with the addition of NXT talent and the rookies/pros mix.....Nexus if they are still around and working for a great purpose then we yet know....along with the very crowded roster of people that many don't see TV time...I am seriously interested this year more than I have been for a long time on what they could try and come up with.
I also am concerned with what the hell they replace it with. You have a PPV dedicated to the MITB match...Hell In A Cell...Fatal 4 ways..Extreme Rules....all championship matches...they go back and forth with internet voting PPV's...Elimination Chambers...

I mean what do they do an all Inferno PPV or an all lumberjack PPV? If they make it just another PPV that has a generic name or purpose like Over The Edge then its an easy outlet to give us a dull and anti-climactic card. At least by keeping the traditional SS there is a bar to try and hit or set and mix things up and utilize all the elements the WWE has now that they didn't have last year....Nexus, NXT and such.

Over the past year, WWE has add TLC, Hell in a Cell, Breaking Point, Fatal Four Way, and Money In The Bank as PPV matches. I honestly don't know what other type of gimmick match that can replace Survivor Series. The only good idea I can think of is a PPV in which the main event is 2 out of 3 falls. While past Survivor Series haven't focused much on the "team" aspect, there still have been some good 5-on-5 matches. With the midcard in my opinion being stronger than it has in recent years, Survivor Series can still be salvaged. I think we should keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back