Why no Advertisements on the Canvas or around Ring?

wrestler36

Championship Contender
Now as a fan, I'm glad they haven't because I like seeing a clean ring as well as the surrounding black barrier. But I'm just surprised as boxing rings and the UFC octogon promote Mandalay Bay, Toyo Tires, etc on their canvases. Heck, even in the background of baseball games, advertisements are superimposed in the background of the catcher. With PPV revenue going away and the network success slower than expected, I'm surprised they are not using the ring and barrier as ad real estate. They've used TV time to promote shitty burgers and in the attitude era, X Pac used to walk out with the Hansen's energy drink. Like I said, I'm happy that the canvas is clean as well as the barrier, I'm just surprised that they haven't used those as advertising options.

Good point and something I never thought about, actually. Glad they haven't used the ring as ad space as it would seem incredibly cheesy after being used to not having graphics on the mat for long... but a little surprised at the same time, as they do plug stuff and have been on a financial decline (which I honestly think will turn around, the Network was a pretty ballsy pre-emptive move and a good portion of people are not tech savvy/subscribe to that kind of thing yet). Hell, Brock Lesnar still has Jimmy John's and Jacklink beef jerkey on his shorts.

I'm not sure why they don't. You do bring up a good point that with recent financial troubles it would be a good source of revenue. I guess Vince just wants a clean mat/area. Sure, they could talk about stuff, but when it comes to the ring and ringside area I guess the only logos Vince wants are WWE logos. It seems kind of classy. They are big enough to not need those advertisements. But it is an interesting question.

WCW used to advertise on the canvas at pay-per-views. I vividly recall the big Snickers logo in the middle while Hogan and Warrior were having the worst match in history.

At one point advertisment on the ring canvas were a norm in TNA. It is not uncommon to see print in or around the ring for a number of foreign promotions. It would be a different look for the E but if handled tastefully this could be a nice form of new revenue. Or there will just be a massive $9.99 streched out across the mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back