• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why is it so fasionable to be 2nd/3rd generation?

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
Simple enough question really.

A lot of wrestlers in WWE (I've never heard it mentioned in TNA) keep going on about being 2nd or 3rd generation wrestlers.

Ten years ago, we had the Rock, Rikishi, Eddie Guerrero among the 2nd/3rd generation wrestlers, but it was almost never mentioned.

Long before them, I don't ever recall people like Mr Perfect, Bob Orton or Rocky Johnson being referred to as 2nd generation.

Why and when did this become so important?

they always refereed to the rock as third generation, always remember that, i think since then they made a big deal about it, mostly with randy orton, tbh it really makes no difference to me, as i dont find orton to be entertaining either way

because in wrestling communities, they view outsiders in a manner that they dont belong, like eric bischoff when he started out, its just the commentators letting you know about the history of the wrestler. It's not important, just the truth.

you find it happens in all sports where the father was good. Take Maradonna and his son in law, Aguero, from the Argentina football game yesterday. Links to famous lineage are an easy way to explain why someone means something from the off. The Rock was always bigged up as a 3rd generation wrestler as he was the first main-stream guy to ever do it. Fact is they never used to do it because, before the Hogan era, wrestling was very territorial and, if someone never wrestled for you, why would you be acknowledging them on your show?

Good points have already been made, but it's worth noting that they company's interest in using so much 2nd/3rd gen. talent is probably because of the Lesnar/Lashley defections. I'm sure the children of former talent, especially former WWF talent, are seen as being safer choices for investment by the company.

I really only started watching WWE program regularly about a year ago, but the Legacy storyline was completely built around that. That was, for the most part, a fairly successful stable, so I can imagine the company wants to take that concept and run with it. It's probably easier than building a brand-new gimmick for someone who can already connect with audiences because of something their dad/uncle did. For example, no way Ted DiBiase would have had any chance of getting over on his own merits if his name didn't conjure up images of his dad's character.

To expand on my previous point, even though there were a number of 2nd/3rd gen. wrestlers working over the last 25 years, it's only recently that the WWE has begun to heavily exploit the history of the business and the company.

It seems that referring to the past is a part of the company's branding strategy, because they are constantly trying to find ways to generate ancillary revenue streams from old footage. The DVD boom is part of this, and so is their attempt to develop the Classic on Demand service. So, not only does the character of the Million Dollar Man make you instantly hate Ted DiBiase, but having Ted all over WWE programming makes you more likely to go buy a greatest matches DVD of his dad or to pay for a subscription to a service that lets you see his work from 20 years ago, or even to buy a Million Dollar Man action figure or T-shirt.

So, basically, all part of the WWE's attempts to fit the contemporary mold of the consumer-capitalist commodified entertainment business.

Remember, the wrestling legacies all start with Vince McMahon, who is third generation himself. His grandfather started the World Wide Wrestling Federation.

When WWE was battling it out with WCW, I recall some people asking: "Would you rather support a rich guy who just got into the wrestling business (Ted Turner) or a guy who's been doing it all his life? (VKM)"

McMahon probably promotes the tradition and continuity offered by multi-generational wrestlers because he's a part of it.

When a family business advertises itself as: "Serving your needs since 1922" we understand that the present owner hasn't been there that long, but his family has established a tradition in the business and that's worthy of your trust and continued patronage. The same with WWE performers.

Oh, one more thing: Since WWE now presents family programming, we need to remember that the basis of 2nd and 3rd generation legacies is.........family.

Mustang Sally posted before me and had some really great points. VKM is multi-generational, so it only makes sense that he is big on that. also, the whole family oriented wrestling entertainment making mention of wrestling families is also a very easy link to the audience.

PhD also had the very good point that it just makes more money with merchandise and tv and buyrates, etc. money is a pretty powerful influencer.

but to the original post, i do remember very clearly that The Rock was billed as a 3rd generation wrestler from the very beginning. like, from his debut match at the Survivor Series... "the grandson of the great High Chief Peter Maivia and the son of the great Rocky Johnson" it was acknowledged from the very beginning.

now with Rikishi and Yokozuna and Rock and Rosie and Haku, there never was any mention of the generations (except for Rock of course) but i think it's because that with the exception of Rock, they were all the patriarchs of the family. the thing that got me more was that they didn't form a huge and powerful "Samoan Family Stable", but that's another story. this would be one of the few times that WWE did not "cash in" on somebody's family history. that's my point there.

but i even remember Mr. Perfect being billed as the son of Larry "the Axe" Hennig from the very beginning and that he was a great 2nd generation wrestler. same goes for Bret and Owen Hart and being trained under the legendary (and old! thanks Jerry Lawler for all the great jokes!) Stu Hart in the infamous Hart Dungeon. even guys like Lance Storm, Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho got the rub, so to speak, just for having trained there.

i also remember the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase being known as the son of "Iron" Mike Dibiase.

there was always a teased relationship about Grand Masta Sexay being the son of Jerry Lawler.

Guerrero and Mysterio have been very well connected with their family history and legacy, at least in the WWE, and there is constant reference to their growing up in wrestling families and being multi-generational. Chavo Jr especially got this nod.

Goldust was known as "the American Nightmare", a not-too-subtle reference to his dad, "the American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. and throughout his many gimmicks and turns, he's referenced himself as Dustin Rhodes (or Runnels, whatever) more than once. and not just Goldust, but the announcers as well.

i guess my point in all these mentions is simply that this is not new. not at all.

and of course, now, you have guys like Randy Orton, DH Smith, Dibiase, Cody Rhodes, the Uso's, etc. so now they're everywhere, but i've got the memories of this being a big deal and at least more than a casual reference in the past too. i dunno that it's so much a "new" thing now as much as it is just the "biggest" thing now, as far as Vince's push and security in having them around.

again, to quote another poster, with multi-generationers, you're much less likely to have them jump ship at the height of their popularity and push.

i thnk it's mainley to build up the star so they seem experinced and grew up around wrestling also you remember there father or grandfather and think oh he was sick and it makes you half intrested in them but maley to build the superstar to be more experinced and skilled:shrug:

Being a 2nd or 3rd generation superstar is fashionable because it's easier to get a 2nd or 3rd generation superstar over.

A 2nd or 3rd generation superstar has a big advantage over someone who makes a debut as a nobody. For example, if one of your favorite wrestlers has a son that makes it to the WWE, you can't say you wouldnt be interested in watching what he does. People want to see how similar he is to his father. Its almost nostalgic. When that superstar starts to get people thinking about his father, thats a good thing. Everytime Dibiase Jr. says "Everyone has a price" or stuffs money in someones mouth, the people in the LD mark out. It builds connections with some of the older fans, who can have a difficult time adjusting to newer stars. Also, people expect them to be very good since he has been around the business early on in his life. The high expectations builds a buzz and gets people talking, thus making him over.

Bret and Owen used it. Rocky used it. His Dad even got involved for a few shows in the begining. Rock stopped it cause "he wanted to earn his own way". At least that was the story line. Eddie and Chavo used it all the time. The Von Erich family was all about herritage. I remember Flair's son trying to work in the business at one point or another. Mr. Perfect wasn't called 2nd gen but rarely, but it has been mentioned on air. Same with Bob Orton.
Maybe it wasn't done more back in the day cause there were a lot of first time wrestlers. It could just be the announcing style changes or as mentioned before it goes along with the PG thing.

Easy money and there is big bucks in wrestling why work a square ass city job when you have contacts in high places in the big show (WWE)? get to live in Flordia learning the trade and 1-2 years down the line your on TV and you've got a hefty contract behind you, smart really, but I bet 90% of 2nd and 3rd generation guys wouldn't be in the buisness if they didn't have family ties to wrestling.

Great points about the previous 2/3 gerenation stars who made a name for themselves in pro wrestling and how it was mentioned on tv at the time they were breaking into the business. For the guys who actually made a great impact on pro wrestling like the Hart's, Perfect, Rock and others, the 2/3 generation gimmick got pushed aside when they proved they were top guys. I think the same will happen with the newer 2/3 guys who actually have a successful career. Thier families are just being used as a reference to help them along and it's up to them to build on that and create a legacy of their own.

You've all heard the term "Guilty By Association" right? Well, I think this is the WWE trying to pull a "Credible By Association". If you see this new wrestler is the son of Mr. Perfect, I'm pretty positive you'll be more inclined to liking that character or at least be more interested in what they will do to see if they can ever live up to the legend of their famous parent(s). I wouldn't say that it has become "fashionable" more like it has become an easy token to recognition that the WWE has been taking advantage of, and who can blame them? It's a good idea. The past has shown us it works, so there is no reason not to do it again. I think it's a pretty useful tool in giving some credence to a wrestlers ability. Cody Rhodes being the son of Dusty Rhodes tell me that he is a natural, Ted DiBiase Jr being the son of The Million Dollar Man tells me he comes from a great wrestling lineage and that he is also a natural, etc etc. It doesn't bother me. If someone can say "Yeah my dad is a legend and so will I be." Good shit, more power to you. The only danger I see is that these boys have some big shoes to fill and those expectations could leave them falling short.

Because it adds to popularity, If your father was one of the best wrestlers of all time you would keep that to yourself? Doesnt seem to bright.

The Rock was always mentioned as a third generation superstar.

His first wrestlemania match involved his father coming out for the save to help him beat the Sultan and Backlund down.

Rikishi was also mentioned as apart Afa/Sika's blood line.

In WCW Eddie was mentioned about being a Guerrero quite a bit.

Dudebuster put it nicely. It's just them trying to put over wrestlers in yet another way. Look at what they did with Legacy. A stable built out of 2nd/3rd generation superstars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back