• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why Is Everyone Comparing CM Punk To Stone Cold Steve Austin Again?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Even before the rise of CM Punk this summer in the WWE on RAW. There have been wrestling fans comparing CM Punk to WWE hall of famer Stone Cold Steve Austin, and there has been talk of them doing a one-on-one match together by Wrestlemania 29 in Dallas, Texas?

But where is the comparison between the two? Stone Cold Steve Austin and CM Punk are two completly different wrestler's. Like Stone Cold could pass for a legit tough guy, but CM Punk can't. Stone Cold drinks beer, CM Punk is straight edge. Stone Cold was the face of the company at the WWF/E's peak, while CM Punk is number 2 to John Cena (Even if Punk has the WWE title or not).

I just don't see the comparison between the two in & out the ring. And as far as a match at Wrestlemania 29 little lone a match period between the two. It would be weird to watch. Both men have two different styles in the ring. It would be like watching Ric Flair vs Rob Van Dam back at No Mercy 2002.

I would rather see Randy Orton vs Stone Cold Steve Austin anyways. Jake "The Snake" Roberts as the special ref?

The only similarity I can give between Stone Cold and CM Punk is that they are both using the mic as "pipebomb". And the WWF/E are giving them ridiculous amount of time just to give a shoot/promo. They can run their mouth for an hour without their audience getting bored. And the special thing here is when they talk, everybody is sure to listen.

As for a match at Wrestlemania? NO. As you all know, Stone Cold suffered so much injuries in the past (the neck, the knees) and I don't want him to go back just to give one more match that might put a risk on his body. Although the 1996 Stone Cold vs 2011 CM Punk is definitely one hell of a match.

well yes, but im preh sure its because lots of people hold hope for a WM match between the 2 men. the comparisons are just people being excited. yes stone cold was the face during the wwf/e's peak, but cm punk is the face now (yes that includes being better then cena). they aren't similar at all, but you know how these die hard fans are, they get excited and start doing things. this would be an interesting match though, i mean, a clash of exact opposites!! what could be better than that??

Austin and Punk both represent a counter culture. They both speak their minds on the microphone and seemingly do whatever they want without consequence.

But the BIGGEST comparison between the two is their timing. You mention that Austin was the face of the company during the WWE's peak. But you fail to mention that Austin was behind Hart/Michaels in that capacity at a time when the company nearly went bankrupt. Before Austin became the face of the company, his rebel character caught on because it was the type of character WWE fans wanted to see.

Similarly, Punk is currently behind Cena - and possibly Orton - in terms of being the face of the company. But again, Punk's rebel character has caught on because it is the type of character that WWE fans want to see.

It's just bc of the whole vocally anti-authoritarian view the two share. Both guys are all about individuality and independence, not right or wrong like Cena, Hogan, etc. They're two guys that have become more and more popular the more they've gone against the grain. Austin made the change on Bret Hart, then went after VKM; Punk made the change on Cena, and now's gone after Ace.

So you go ahead and point out all the differences between Punk and Austin, then go ahead and say you'd rather see Orton get the match because he's "The Viper"? Orton has a snake-like gimmick and he has a finisher that resembles the Stone Cold Stunner.. That's it. That's all the comparison to Austin Orton can ever draw right now. Even Stone Cold himself said Orton still needs some work and in his own way, called him stale. Austin himself wants a match with Punk and is obviously happy with everyone comparing Punk to him.

One thing you pointed out was that Punk doesn't come across as a tough guy. You might be right about that but he does have another quality in his character that resembles Stone Cold, he's a rule breaker. He hates his boss and he actually interacts with the crowd. Not only that but even look-wise Punk somewhat reminds me of Austin. Everyone is comparing Punk to Austin because he has some qualities in his character that really resemble him, even when he was a heel he did some Austin-like things like threaten Orton's family. Not only that but Punk is a ring general, much like Austin was before that severe neck injury. And about a Punk/Austin match, I really would like to see it happen. It's definitely not happening this year but next year, if everything is done and booked right, Austin and Punk can have a solid Wrestlemania match.

Its because always want to compare people. It was Orton is the new Stone Cold a couple years ago, and cena is the new Hulk Hogan. People use different aspects of past wrestlers because wrestling builds on itself. Its not a bad thing. I think as the iwc, we get too harsh on ourselves for critiquing wrestlers and the product. Is this not what sports fans do for their teams as well? It means we care about the product and want it to do well.

Nothing but the fact that both rebel against the authority. That's the major reason for these comparisons

It would be awesome to see punk go against VKM the way he's doing it to Ace!

Well it's Austin. There's always someone in the WWE that creative tries to groom as the next Austin or fans want to proclaim as the next Austin. Before it was Cena then when Cena became a Hogan like Babyface it became Orton then once that did not work out we now have Punk.

But Austin is such a huge name and legend in the industry it's impossible that there wont be, at least, one comparison of him at a given time. God knows how many "Next HBK" have there been over the years.

I agree that the comparisons are overblown, and that CM Punk is more the first CM Punk than the next Steve Austin. There are some similiarities, as highlighted by other responses, but there's really one thing from the OP that I want to comment on:

Stone Cold could pass for a legit tough guy, but CM Punk can't.

Excuse me, what? CM Punk can't pass for a legit tough guy? CM Punk is possibly the toughest looking man on the roster today. CM Punk looks like a guy you'd accidentally bump into in prison who'd then slit your throat in the shower and walk away without batting an eye, or like an MMA fighter who would step into the cage with you, knock you on your ass, break your arm, and smile about. What would make you think Punk doesn't look tough? Because he doesn't have massive roided out muscles? If that's what you think makes a man tough, you've got a pretty damn foolish perspective on the world.

I agree that the comparisons are overblown, and that CM Punk is more the first CM Punk than the next Steve Austin. There are some similiarities, as highlighted by other responses, but there's really one thing from the OP that I want to comment on:

Excuse me, what? CM Punk can't pass for a legit tough guy? CM Punk is possibly the toughest looking man on the roster today. CM Punk looks like a guy you'd accidentally bump into in prison who'd then slit your throat in the shower and walk away without batting an eye, or like an MMA fighter who would step into the cage with you, knock you on your ass, break your arm, and smile about. What would make you think Punk doesn't look tough? Because he doesn't have massive roided out muscles? If that's what you think makes a man tough, you've got a pretty damn foolish perspective on the world.
You need to stop watching old episode's of OZ on HBO quick! CM Punk is not a legit tough guy to me. Just because he looks like a inmate at riker's island doesn't mean that Punk is all those things that you said about him. This is wrestling! So no prison talk, no shank's in the WWE locker room, and the MMA fighter-type wrestle played out with Ken Shamrock.

CM Punk has the most child-like tattoo's that I've ever seen in my life. If that's what you think makes a man tough, you've got a pretty damn foolish perspective on the world.

I was expecting to come here and see nothing but people saying punk is a ripoff of SCSA. The forums seem to be much more full of people with common sense than the people who post on the news articles but yeah there are a few main points that they are alike (good on the mic, anti establishment) but mostly they are more opposites than anything. Regarding punk being second to cena, punk gets a bigger pop than cena and last I heard his merchandise sold more than cena these days.

CM Punk is nothing like Stone Cold n thats a Fact. In all reality I think CM Punk needs better catchphrases than Pipe Bomb n Ice Cream Bars, n the rip off of Jerichos Best in the World. I like his realism in his promos but he Needs aomethin else SCSA had Oh Hell Yea or Thats the Bottom Line or Can of Whoop Ass or Austin 3:16 said I just whooped ur Ass CM Punk needs something similar

Nothing but the fact that both rebel against the authority.

Yes, that. Society loves the rebel, at least in make believe, like the movies or TV. Think of many of the characters you've liked in pro wrestling, and you'll often trace their fame down to the anti-establishment stance they adopted. Austin and Punk happen to do it better than most.

Also, both Austin and Punk were perennial mid-card wrestlers who utilized a winning gimmick to rise to the top. That's a similarity, although it can sooner be linked to the wizardry of WWE Creative than anything the performers came up with for themselves. (The Ringmaster, anyone?)

Do you disagree with that statement by arguing that Punk created his own persona? Well, maybe he did; we spent the early part of the year speculating whether his whole anti-WWE program was a work or not. To this day, he's still granting interviews in which he said he had one foot out the door. Whatever.

It's true that Austin and Punk are as different as night and day as performers, but the paths they took to get to the top are amazingly alike.

Agreed @Mack_Swagger I can't take CM Punk as legitimate "Tough Guy". The guy is a fucking cruiserweight with no muscle whatsoever. A Wrestler needs to look like a "Wrestler" and not just some guy. WWE has come to an all time low. They are giving their titles to indy guys instead of their own.
I miss the WWF/WWE,WCW when the titles were being worn by Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Sid Vicious, HHH, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Batista etc.

It's funny how much people complain about Vince not pushing someone unless they have "the look" (tall, good looking, huge muscles) yet in this thread basically saying they can't buy Punk as a legit tough guy because he's too small and doesnt have big enough muscles.

I credit a lot of Punk's talent when it comes to in ring storytelling with him being at a size disadvantage. He wrestles and does moves in a way to make it look credible when he does beat someone bigger than him. As for him being legit tough... if a guy that looked like Punk and carried themselves with the same "I don't give a F---" attitude got in your face I'd imagine you'd be backing down

People compare the two because they're similar. They're similar in very few ways, but the similarities exist.

Both hate authority. Punk is more your emo-type, who cracks "intelligent" jokes, and such. Austin just didn't like being told what to do, and cracked many skulls along the way.

Are they similar in any other area? No, not really. Physically, they look nothing alike. I think Austin is much better on the mic, and in the ring, but Punk is the best total package this generation has.

When a face character looks and acts differently than Hulk Hogan or John Cena, they're automatically thrown into the Steve Austin bin. Should that be the case? I don't know, I don't have an issue with it. But, Punk is definitely more in Austin's bin than Cena/Hogan's.

Agreed @Mack_Swagger I can't take CM Punk as legitimate "Tough Guy". The guy is a fucking cruiserweight with no muscle whatsoever. A Wrestler needs to look like a "Wrestler" and not just some guy. WWE has come to an all time low. They are giving their titles to indy guys instead of their own.
I miss the WWF/WWE,WCW when the titles were being worn by Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Sid Vicious, HHH, The Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, Batista etc.

Lmao. Are you a purist, mark, or something else? You do know that The majority of "WWF/WWE/WCW's own" that you listed wrestled elsewhere and some were even big names elsewhere first right? Also in the cases of Goldberg and Lesnar they were given monster pushes upon debut.

And what the hell does a "Wrestler" look like? Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Psycho Sid, HHH, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, and Goldberg ALL have different body types. Does any of them look like less of a "Wrestler"? Was Mick Foley not a "Wrestler"? Edge? Bruno Sammartino? Ric Flair? HBK? Buddy Rodgers? Jericho? Rey?

What a lot of people seem to be forgetting already is that it started by the Straight Edge vs Beer drinking personality of both wrestlers that was highlight in the Legends of Wrestlemania video games.

Punk and Austin then took it on twitter and said they would like a match against one an another.

So when Punk goes down in the pipebomb path people start to compare them more and more and want a match between the two.

And to me any wrestler who is coming from the indy is a tough guy I wouldn't mess with, it has nothing to do with muscles (Jericho vs goldberg, Booker T vs Batista).

People are hipocrites, they say Cena and Austin cant be compared becuase there on diffrent levels(austin to awesome for cena aprerantly). Yet people compare PUNK to Austin, why? Like it or not Cena IS and will be on top of punk for a long time. So its just favorisim nothing to go nuts about.

Lmao. Are you a purist, mark, or something else? You do know that The majority of "WWF/WWE/WCW's own" that you listed wrestled elsewhere and some were even big names elsewhere first right? Also in the cases of Goldberg and Lesnar they were given monster pushes upon debut.

And what the hell does a "Wrestler" look like? Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Psycho Sid, HHH, Stone Cold, Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, and Goldberg ALL have different body types. Does any of them look like less of a "Wrestler"? Was Mick Foley not a "Wrestler"? Edge? Bruno Sammartino? Ric Flair? HBK? Buddy Rodgers? Jericho? Rey?

Mick foley always weighed in over 270 lbs. Edge -250 lbs, Ric Flair was a heavyweight when he was in his prime in NWA/WCW, Rey Mysterio is well built for his size and has got the looks of a Heavyweight.

World Championships should only be given to Heavyweights not cruiserweights. Others should be kept in mid-card or lower mid-card.

Pro-Wrestling is all about being "Larger Than Life".

As far as what legit tough guys look like, if you ever watch MMA more of them look like punk than body builders. Huge muscle freaks like Lesnar are in the minority.

Mick foley always weighed in over 270 lbs. Edge -250 lbs, Ric Flair was a heavyweight when he was in his prime in NWA/WCW, Rey Mysterio is well built for his size and has got the looks of a Heavyweight.

World Championships should only be given to Heavyweights not cruiserweights. Others should be kept in mid-card or lower mid-card.

Pro-Wrestling is all about being "Larger Than Life".

Ok fair enough that is your opinion not fact. I disagree, but thank you for the clarification. You said look not weight in your previous post. And by the way Rey having the looks of a heavyweight goes against your argument but I get your point.

That being said, you didn't address the other part. What does being from somewhere else as opposed to being "homegrown" have to do with anything as long as it's not overdone? Especially since most of your examples were from somewhere else.

Punk's character is the exact opposite of SCSA. If anything punk's new attitude reminds me of Shawn Michaels from the late 90s.

Yeah, I can get behind that late-90's Shawn Michaels comparison way more than a comparison to Austin.

I think people want to compare Punk and Austin because one drinks beer and one doesn't and they both feud with their bosses, but the latter is where it falls apart for me. Austin had a long, intense feud with Vince McMahon that lasted for years. Punk feuded with Triple H for about a month and now just teases Laurinaitus. The HHH feud was personal for a promo or two, but it died off quickly and all of a sudden they were pals. And his behavior towards Laurinaitis lacks all of the vitriol that made the Austin/McMahon feud so legendary. Truth be told, I don't even consider Punk to be "feuding" with Laurinaitis. He just picks on him a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back