Why is every movie now in 3-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozentrash75

Pre-Show Stalwart
I'm just wondering does everybody find it as irritating as i do that for some reason that all these cool movies are going to be in 3-D. I mean Avatar was in 3-D and because it did well they think that every movie should be in 3-D. I mean 3-D is ok but it's not that good and now they are going to do the new Harry Potter, Alice In Wonderland, and Clash Of The Titans in 3-D and it's totally stupid.

I mean i don't wanna see a cool looking movie like Clash of The Titans in 3-D i think it can only hurt the movie i mean i don't wanna see the lighting bolt of zeus right in my face and it cost more money to see a movie in 3-D and its not worth it does anyone else agree with me.

I agree that it can be overly costly to see and isn't a necessity with a lot of movies in order to get a good experience but fortunately the option of not seeing it in 3d always exists. The new craze of movies being made in 3d is no different than any other craze where if a concept (whether it be with a movie, tv show, appliance, website, fashion trend etc) becomes popular or successful the industry that makes that concept does it's best to capatalize on it even if that means overdoing it and doing it at times when it doesn't need to be done.

It's pretty simple why; because they make a shitload of money. 3D films, particularly animated 3D films have been some of the top grossing films around the globe over the past few years, so much so that the 3D gimmick has come back in a big way and has been started being applied back to horror films as well (the My Bloody Valentine remake, the latest Final Destination film, etc).

I for one actually kind of dig it, because 3D technology has come so far over the past decade. I mean man you compare the old Red and Blue-box paper glasses that were used for decades with these nifty little sunglasses you get to go see Avatar, they're just on different planets. One of the things that made Avatar such an enjoyable experience obviously was the added 3D element to go along with the insane CGI work from Cameron's studio, because along with the fantastical story of the film the 3D really immersed you into the story and made you feel like you were in that brightly colored and beautiful world of Avatar yourself. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy into all the hype for Avatar and it's 3D elements when I went to go see it, but when I did it really did add a whole new dimension to the film-going experience. We may be looking into the future of film ladies and gentlemen, another chain in the evolution of filmmaking. At first there was only silent black and white, from there we added the technologies of sound and later color and even later HD and anamorphic Widescreen use, it only seems logical that the next step would be the inclusion of advanced 3D technology to finally once and for all actually attempt to immerse you into the film itself. I for one am absolutely thrilled and excited as hell to see what the future of 3D technology holds in filmmaking.

But, to answer your question more simply and to end my quick little rant on my hopes for 3D, the reason why so many films being released now are in 3D is because they make a SHITLOAD of money with the added gimmick. With the oversaturated market of animated Pixar-esque films for children, they had to add in the gimmick of 3D glasses to seal the deal for parents bringing their children to these movies. Kids like it, it gives a film an advantage in the odds of some people's eyes when going to the theater, and it isn't going to be going away anytime soon man.

The new craze of movies being made in 3d is no different than any other craze where if a concept

You do realise that 3-D is not a new craze? What about Jaws in 3-D in the 70s? What about the movies in the 50s in 3-D? I have a peanuts comic from 1952 and Charlie Brown is laughing at Snoopy for having 3-D glasses.

The obvious answer to the latest 3-D revival is Imax. They have appeared all over the country, so it would make 100% logical sense to make movies for viewing in the Imax. Hardly a new craze though, and there's always the non 3-D option.

You do realise that 3-D is not a new craze? What about Jaws in 3-D in the 70s? What about the movies in the 50s in 3-D? I have a peanuts comic from 1952 and Charlie Brown is laughing at Snoopy for having 3-D glasses.

The obvious answer to the latest 3-D revival is Imax. They have appeared all over the country, so it would make 100% logical sense to make movies for viewing in the Imax. Hardly a new craze though, and there's always the non 3-D option.

It really is a completely different experience from the past use of 3D though Lee. You can't say it isn't. You ever watched any of those old 70s and 80s horror films in 3D? I have, I remember watching Nightmare on Elm Street 2 with the 3D glasses in the old VHS boxset back in the 90s and holy fuck it sucked. This new 3D is lightyears ahead of the original use of it, so it really is a new gimmick in a way because unlike the 3D films of the 70s and 80s, these ones now actually make a shitload of money.

When did it become cool to shit on 3-D technology? Sorry to burst the bubbles of all the cool kids here, but it's the tits, especially since, as X said, film technology has grown leaps and bounds since it was last in vogue. Furthermore, it makes the vapid horror films they come out with nowadays not only watchable, but fun. I saw the My Bloody Valentine remake in 3-D, and I must say that seeing a crisply defined pickax coming towards me was one of the most thrilling experiences I had at the theaters last year.

Not everything should be in 3-D, but, if you're watching a movie for nothing more than entertainment, it can only make things more enjoyable.

My point was it's no surprise that 3-D has made a come back. With so many attempts it was bound to happen that we'd get decent 3-D movies that don't make you have an epileptic fit.

3-D is great and really adds to a movie. Plus I've noticed something with 3-D movies...no annoying fuckers talking, that can only be a good thing. It's here to stay, I guess it's like the jump from B&W to colour just adds to the overall enjoyment.

You do realise that 3-D is not a new craze?

Of course I do which is why I didn't suggest that it was a brand new concept. I probably should have said "renewed" prior to craze or or referred to the latest movies to get the treatment as being the "current crop" but I figured that what I meant was a given. I apologize that it apparently wasn't. I mentioned how if something becomes popular it tends to be capatalized on. 3d has been around for a long time like you said. However it stopped being AS popular and now that it is popular again it's current "craze" is more based on it's own current merit than living off of the coattails of when it was previously more popular. I often see the term "new vampire craze" in reference to Twilight, True Blood, and Vampire Diaries. We know that vampire related films and tv shows have been around for a long time without really having any interruption yet the current popularity is considered "new" by some not because it literally is new (cause it is anything but) but because this phase of the popularity is "new" compared to years ago.

3D movies are the shit. I don't see how a movie being in 3D hurts it. In Avatar, because that's everyone else's example, it brought you into this foreign world that Cameron created. The world had a language, a mythology, a history, a culture, and a religion. With something that all-encompassing, the only way to make the experience more "real" is to bring you into it.

I am stoked for Clash of the Titans in 3D. It was my favorite movies as a child, and the remake just seems epic. I will not see it in any other way than 3D.

3D is good for animated movies as well. Animation can do more with 3D than live action can. I saw Coraline in 3D and it was just amazing. In an animated movies, the characters often seem distant, however, the 3D almost bridges the gap from the real world to the the imaginary one. 3D just adds to the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back