• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why Has WWE Not Made A Wrestling Movie?

STFU Donnie

Occasional Pre-Show
Last year, Kevin Nash was doing press for "Magic Mike" and was asked his opinion about "The Wrestler". He enjoyed it, but said the one thing he would love to see in a film is the ride to the top, followed by the crash as opposed to "The Wrestler" which was all about after the fall from glory. Then he joked that since he helped Channing Tatum make a movie about his former career, Nash was going to make him return the favor and help make Nash's movie.

Now this is opinion, but making a FICTIONALIZED movie based on The Kliq is a film that I think would be good...and not just "wrestling fan" good, but an actual story that would appeal to a broader audience.

Think about the dynamics. You have a Nash-type character, a guy who's extremely smart and funny, who while not as skilled as his friends, is a genetic freak who succeeds based in part on something out of his control. You have a Shawn-type character, an underdog who the girls go crazy for and is simply the best performer around, but one who treats people terribly and slowly falls apart under the pressure he puts on himself. You have a Razor-type character, a guy who really is the complete package of size, look, and talent, but because of his demons is incredibly insecure and ultimately self-destructs. You have a X-Pac-type character who is too small for the business but busts his ass and makes a place for himself. Then you toss in a HHH-type character, who joins the crew and is hyper-ambitious, all business, all the time, and the antithesis of the partying nature of the other four.

The dynamic of five friends all trying to get to the top in a cutthroat business. The friendship, mixed with competition, both among themselves and the other wrestlers. The pressure to be great and to fill arenas and draw money. Life at home, with wives and kids left behind. The grind of the road. The party lifestyle that starts out as fun and games or simple pain suppression, that slowly gets out of control. The groupies, the ribs, the fights. Even if you hate all these guys, their story is awfully unique and filled with massive highs and lows. But I wouldn't want a straight biopic, rather I would just use them as templates for a fictional account as it would blow to be tethered to making an actual, historical account.

Anyway, this got me thinking:

1) Most smaller studios start out making critically acclaimed movies. Small budget films that didn't have a huge advertising budget and required reviews and word of mouth to sell. The small budgets meant that it was easier to see a return on the investment and the studio built it's name as a place for quality. Only once they had that reputation, experience, and a model for success, did they start venturing into the larger budget and more strictly commercial film market. Directors do the same thing: You make The Usual Suspects to get to X-Men, You make Memento to get to Batman.

But WWE studios went right to the commercial film market, creating vehicles for wrestlers to become actors. And only now are they beginning to produce movies without wrestlers involved in a staring role. I'm just surprised that WWE would not have at least considered using the very thing that they knew best to make a story that showed wrestlers as human, especially since they owned the tools (rings, full arenas, and every technical aspect) to make a better wrestling film than anybody else.

Granted, you might need to touch on the bad old days, but it could always be presented as the past...a past WWE cleaned up. Besides, WWE was happy to use Mickey Rourke's success from The Wrestler on WWE TV and if not for publicists worried about Oscar campaigns, Rourke and Chris Jericho likely work Wrestlemania together. So even if Vince doesn't like the "dark side" of wrestling, he was fine using it if it made him money or garnered WWE mainstream attention.

2) How on earth did Vince McMahon and his massive ego not look at the commercial and critical success of "The Wrestler", a film about HIS industry, and not immediately think that not only was there a market for wrestling in film, but he would do it better, make more money, and actually win an Oscar with his wrestling film?

So the question is, why do you think Vince never tried to make a serious minded wrestling movie for WWE Studios, especially in light of the success of "The Wrestler"?

The last time a pro wrestling movie was put out in which the fictionally choreographed world of pro wrestling was portrayed as being "real" was Ready to Rumble. Needless to say, it was an awful movie that, like many awful movies, has garnered a cult following, mostly among wrestling fans. The movie was a critical and commercial flop. Rotten Tomatoes.com reports that the movie has a 25% "fresh rating" and made roughly $12.5million worldwide on a budget that was double that.

If WWE ever made a wrestling movie, I think the best way to go about it would be to do a biopic of a wrestling legend. If the legend is still alive, and is interested, hire that legend as a consultant to help draft the script so that it goes into how he got into wrestling, why he got into it, memorable moments during his personal & professional life to help make up the script, etc. WWE would need to treat the project seriously and, in my opinion, shouldn't try to go with anything like a big budget. I think they could also speak to Darren Aronofsky, the guy who directed "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rouke, if he would be interested in heading the project, etc. I think that something like this would be WWE's best shot at earning critical acclaim for any sort of pro wrestling movie.

WWE already gets hammered by internet fans, shocking I know :rolleyes:, for hyping movies or outside projects or whatever on Raw. They'd probably get hammered over this as well but probably not as much if said wrestling movie doesn't include family friendly, corny comedy.

How about a Kane/Undertaker backstory movie? I always thought that would be something that WWE fans could get into. Now, it's probably too late but during the peak of that storyline in WWE, they easily could have done a small budget, made for TV type of movie. That would have worked and been cool.

The last time a pro wrestling movie was put out in which the fictionally choreographed world of pro wrestling was portrayed as being "real" was Ready to Rumble. Needless to say, it was an awful movie that, like many awful movies, has garnered a cult following, mostly among wrestling fans. The movie was a critical and commercial flop. Rotten Tomatoes.com reports that the movie has a 25% "fresh rating" and made roughly $12.5million worldwide on a budget that was double that.

If WWE ever made a wrestling movie, I think the best way to go about it would be to do a biopic of a wrestling legend. If the legend is still alive, and is interested, hire that legend as a consultant to help draft the script so that it goes into how he got into wrestling, why he got into it, memorable moments during his personal & professional life to help make up the script, etc. WWE would need to treat the project seriously and, in my opinion, shouldn't try to go with anything like a big budget. I think they could also speak to Darren Aronofsky, the guy who directed "The Wrestler" starring Mickey Rouke, if he would be interested in heading the project, etc. I think that something like this would be WWE's best shot at earning critical acclaim for any sort of pro wrestling movie.

WWE already gets hammered by internet fans, shocking I know :rolleyes:, for hyping movies or outside projects or whatever on Raw. They'd probably get hammered over this as well but probably not as much if said wrestling movie doesn't include family friendly, corny comedy.

Yeah...but who's suggesting they present wrestling as "real"? The competing I'm talking about happens backstage and trying to outperform each other in the ring. In his Timeline shoot, Nash talked about how heading into their Mania match, he knew damn well that Shawn would try to make himself look great, even at his good friend's expense. And sure enough Shawn started going 100 mph, so when Nash grabbed a hold, he really put his weight on him to keep him from catching his breath. Nash also talked about how him and Shawn were still friends, but after Nash became champ, the subtle jealousy and competition for that top spot changed the friendship a little bit, and there was even a time towards the end of Nash's run when they stopped traveling together.

Little stuff like this, plus all the gossip, backstabbing, and other nonsense backstage is where wrestlers really compete...and that's the story that I think would be compelling to non-wrestling fans at least as much as wrestling fans.

I can't think of a single biopic that wasn't family friendly, cheesy and corny. I think using guys for inspiration is fine, but sticking to the true story is usually flawed and the tendency is to present the subject in the best light and ignore the warts, which makes for cringe-worthy storytelling...in my opinion.

I don't know that Aronofsky would want to do ANOTHER wrestling movie...but Steven Soderberg directed "Magic Mike"...a flick about male strippers, so despite his mainstream success with Traffic and the Ocean's movies, there's at least a chance he might be interested in something more subversive in nature, like a wrestling story set back in the wild and crazy days.

The reason that Vince hasnt done a wrestling moving could be summed up in two movies and 6 words: No Holds Barred, Ready To Rumble.

I think that Vince has way too many stories that have ended badly without being able to redeem it enough for a movie. While there are people who have transitioned successfully outside of the ring, non of their stories are compelling enough to make a studio movie.

Asking why Vince McMahon wouldn't make a movie like the Wrestler is like asking why Nike doesn't make a movie about how their shoes are made. Because it exposed the business for all of the bad things...steroids, drugs, injuries, etc. etc.

They don't have enough common sense. Is the first answer that comes to my mind.

I was listening to the Art of Wrestling and CM Punk told Colt Cabana about his idea for remaking Cannonball Run with WWE superstars and it sounded great. Just having like 32 guys on the roster getting the rub from being in a movie and all getting credits to their names. The way he laid it out was brilliant.

The reason that Vince hasnt done a wrestling moving could be summed up in two movies and 6 words: No Holds Barred, Ready To Rumble.

I think that Vince has way too many stories that have ended badly without being able to redeem it enough for a movie. While there are people who have transitioned successfully outside of the ring, non of their stories are compelling enough to make a studio movie.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just read the thread title and didn't read my post....

No Hold Barred was an action movie that presented wrestling as real and Ready to Rumble was a comedy that presented wrestling as real...and made wrestling fans out to be borderline ******ed.

The Wrestler presented wrestling for what it is, a performance with real people who did wrestling as a job...and grossed roughly $45 million dollars in a limited theatrical release ($100 million if you include global release and DVD)...before The Call, WWE's highest grossing movie (See No Evil) didn't crack $20 million.

So tell me again that there is a market for The Marine 4...but nobody wants to see a movie about people who work in wrestling for a living.

Asking why Vince McMahon wouldn't make a movie like the Wrestler is like asking why Nike doesn't make a movie about how their shoes are made. Because it exposed the business for all of the bad things...steroids, drugs, injuries, etc. etc.

So that's why he ultimately promoted The Wrestler and actually wanted the guy who played the sad sack and pathetic Randy the Ram to come to Wrestlemania and have a celebrity match with Chris Jericho? Because he wanted to sweep the dark underbelly of wrestling under the rug? So he was fine exposing the "bad things" of wrestling in order to make money (and help make money for those people who made The Wrestler) off of the notoriety The Wrestler gained by exposing the "bad things" about the business?

Well that makes compete sense...

I don't know but here are some guesses:

1. He hasn't seen a script that he likes.

2. Making a movie with a lot of the current roster talent would hurt touring.

3. He wants to establish WWE Studios to be able to stand on it's own before he does something that would be judged as easy to do like make a wrestling film.

4. The Rock won't return those calls.

5. Too soon after The Wrestler came out to do another.

6. Santo Gold can never be topped.

7. If they fail with a wrestling movie it will scare off investors who will decide they can't do anything right in the movie business if they can't nail their own product.

8. Too much breaking of kayfabe as it is.

9. Can't come up with a catchy theme song.

10. Aren't they working on some Flintstone's thing right now with the talent?

It's a shitty list but like I said in the beginning of this post, "I don't know."

So that's why he ultimately promoted The Wrestler and actually wanted the guy who played the sad sack and pathetic Randy the Ram to come to Wrestlemania and have a celebrity match with Chris Jericho? Because he wanted to sweep the dark underbelly of wrestling under the rug? So he was fine exposing the "bad things" of wrestling in order to make money (and help make money for those people who made The Wrestler) off of the notoriety The Wrestler gained by exposing the "bad things" about the business?

Well that makes compete sense...

PROMOTING a movie and MAKING a movie are two very, very different things. WWE has promoted everything from acne wipes to motor oil. That doesn't mean they made them.

Isn't 'Legendary' about wrestling? Granted, it wasn't professional wrestling.

WWE films only target WWE fans. That's who it's marketed to and I don't see them being able to reach other demographics because as soon as they saw that it was a WWE studios film they'd lose interest regardless of how good or bad the film was. And although Vince could hypothetically pitch his film to another studio and let them handle the production and marketing we all know that he likes to keep everything in-house and would want complete control. A film like The Wrestler was marketed to more than just wrestling fans which accounts for it's critical and commercial success.

It just probably isn't worth it financially. Those type of wrestling pictures and boxing pictures were popular in the 1940s and '50s because they were formulaic and easy to churn out but there's no money in them today. So you have to have something else going for it creatively than a cliche feel-good story of a young boy achieving his dreams and I'm not sure what other stories are out there wrestling-wise that Vince wouldn't want to completely distance himself from.

A biopic of Vince McMahon could be brilliant though if it was handled by people outside WWE studios though you'd have to wait until after his death most likely. But that's an interesting character. Like Charles Foster Kane, I'm willing to bet there's more than a few similarities between Vince and the character of Kane.

Not to nit pick , but Ready to Rumble portrayed wrestling as a scripted event and not real , it was the fans who thought it was real. Granted supposedly the last match was suppose to be real ... but quoting The King character from the movie.." You realize its all just a dance don't you" Anyway , back to the question at hand, Why Vince hasn't produced a wrestling movie about pro wrestling. Many good points were brought up previously and I would say its #1 Lack of a good script. If Vince could find a good script that didn't portray the industry badly or be totally cheesy he would probably do it. The clique story might be a good one but it probably would show to much of the darkside of the industry for Vince's comfort level. I am sure eventually they will get around to it but like was said before in the thread, they would have to knock it out of the park or look like total idiots for not being able to do a movie about what they are suppose to be best at.

Isn't 'Legendary' about wrestling? Granted, it wasn't professional wrestling.

WWE films only target WWE fans. That's who it's marketed to and I don't see them being able to reach other demographics because as soon as they saw that it was a WWE studios film they'd lose interest regardless of how good or bad the film was. And although Vince could hypothetically pitch his film to another studio and let them handle the production and marketing we all know that he likes to keep everything in-house and would want complete control. A film like The Wrestler was marketed to more than just wrestling fans which accounts for it's critical and commercial success.

It just probably isn't worth it financially. Those type of wrestling pictures and boxing pictures were popular in the 1940s and '50s because they were formulaic and easy to churn out but there's no money in them today. So you have to have something else going for it creatively than a cliche feel-good story of a young boy achieving his dreams and I'm not sure what other stories are out there wrestling-wise that Vince wouldn't want to completely distance himself from.

A biopic of Vince McMahon could be brilliant though if it was handled by people outside WWE studios though you'd have to wait until after his death most likely. But that's an interesting character. Like Charles Foster Kane, I'm willing to bet there's more than a few similarities between Vince and the character of Kane.

Actually, WWE has changed their strategy as they are no longer producing films alone. They are now working with partners to share the risk, so any branding issues are gone now.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/the-call-dials-up-wwes-film-biz-1200333952/

See I think you and many others are missing the idea, which is that you could use the experiences and stories of a dozen guys and then make up 4 main characters. Hell, make it look like the fictional story happened in WCW back in the 90's, as Vince loves making WCW look horrible.

I just listened to a clip of Vince on Howard in 2001, where he admits heavy drug use and the fact that he cheated on Linda for the first 25 years of their marriage. I think a lot of people overestimate Vince's sensitivity towards controversy...especially if that controversy can make him money.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I wouldn't be all out for it. I'd have to see how exactly they wanted to do the movie.

I think the better decision is for the WWE to get out of movies. They all have sucked, the only one I've ever watched was Scorpion King when I was 12 and a huge Rock fan. I'm still a huge Rock fan, when he came back last year I started watching again and haven't stopped even when he is gone. Now we have DVR so I'll probably watch for the rest of my life since it wasn't like back in the day where you have to watch it or you miss it because I have better things to do at 9 o'clock on Mondays and 8 on fridays. lol alcoholic...

anyways, as I was saying, I think their movies suck. Yet I think movies suck in general nowadays, so please don't take it as me just hating on the WWE. So I don't really know whether it is them or just the current thing

Because it would require them to write an actual wrestling storyline for a change :lmao:

Nah, but seriously, who would go and see it except a handful of us wrestling fans? Most WWE films do badly enough at the box office as it is. The fact that WWE barely even uses the word "wrestling" on Raw shows you what they think of their own industry.

Also, they wouldn't make a film that goes behind the scenes. Has there ever been any legitimate shoots in WWE except Montreal? WWE is still run as a classic wrestling promotion sense in that regard, and to them kayfabe isn't dead. You would never get a film like The Wrestler out of WWE Studios.

And I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, I didn't read right through the thread, but maybe you are forgetting that they did once make a wrestling film.. No Holds Barred :headbanger:

I, for one, think that WWE Films could make a better version of The Wrestler AND Ready To Rumble. They do indeed have the tools needed to produce such films as a drama and / or comedy based on Wrestling.

I do like the idea of a movie loosely based on the Kliq. Though I would like it to be specifically about the Kliq, I can understand why it couldn’t, shouldn’t, and wouldn’t. I’d love to see everything that took place from 1993, all the way up to the WWE Hall Of Fame ceremony in 2011. If they really wanted to, they could even stretch this into a 6 part movie like the Marvel Cinematic Universe series. Okay, that’s stretching it too far.

Personally, I'd like to see a movie loosely based on Scott Hall's life. The unfortunate part of some of these ideas is that they end on a bad note. No one wants to see a guy rise to fame, only for his life to be ruined at the end with no comeback scenario. The Wrestler kind of led you to that scenario. But the ending was so perfect, people were left wondering if The Ram lived out his days or died in the ring.

With his current situation, Hall's life would be perfect.

Actually the WWE kinda already did a Wrestling film during the Attitude ERA which included WCW, ECW, n the Indies and that Movies Name is "BEYOND THE MAT". If ya haven't seen that go back and watch.

I understand that its a documentry, but if you want a film based on the rise and fall...The Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior was the DVD for that

One guy works for this... The Rock as himself, start the movie with "die rocky die and end it at Mania 18 with Hogan (with enough FX they can recreate it all). If it aint about a wrestler then a movie about either the first Mania/ expansion or the Monday Night Wars might work, but instead of a movie I would go HBO... Have it a series set in the 80's as Rock tried to get going... Make it real as far as you can. So cast people as selected real names and fill out those who won't play ball with generics... Base it on a Shawn type or Shawn himself, comes in a bit part but ends up becoming a star...

If you do the Monday Night Wars even better, two leads... A Vince and a Bischoff...

As a 3rd option do a Bobby Heenan movie...scoff all you want but Jack Black or Jonah Hill could pull it off as a "serious" role... Michael Douglas as Blassie, Aaron Eckhart as Vince and Naomi Watts as Linda... Never happen but fun to cast... Aronofsky is done with it, he made his movie but Favreau doing a wrestling movie would be a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back