• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why does everyone tap out so soon?

SD619

Getting Noticed By Management
In the past few months, whenever someone has had their opponent in a submission move (mostly in non-main event matches), the opponent has tapped out within 10 seconds. Just last night, Cesaro tapped out in about 5 seconds of Miz applying the figure four.

I don't expect everyone to be in a submission move for eternity before tapping, but at-least make it seem as the guy is in some pain before giving up.

Thoughts?

The wrestler doesn't want the pain so he taps before he can feel it? But yeah, I agree with you. I've noticed it alot lately.

This is something I've always thought about. However, it makes sense what Hamler just said, they don't want it to be too painful, so they tap out before it's possible to feel it. However, I think, in matches that are mid/lower-card they tap out pretty quickly, especially on TV. But, when you see matches like Big Show/Del Rio, which is both a "main event" and a match on PPV, the submission lasts a helluva lot longer. It's a strange thing really, but it's something that has also always interested me.

Have you ever watched MMA before?? Those are some of the legit toughest athletes on the planet and they tap out within 5 seconds. Why should WWE become superheroes and last any longer when the rest of the world knows it's bullshit if they sit in a submission for 30-45 seconds at a time?

A quick tap out isn't a bad thing, if anything its much more realistic than holding onto a submission for a long period of time. Unless you are trying to build sympathy and heart for the character at hand (like Cena for example) then there is no reason to hold on to a submission for 30-45 seconds.

You also have to concede that the lack of weight divisions in wrestling. In MMA if you are caught in a submission, not only are you risking injury by hanging on, the chance of you being able to counter it are far less likely as you are in the ring with someone of largely comparable size and strength.

In wrestling, it can happen that there is no such parity. On top of the building of heart/toughness, the likes of Cena, Mark Henry etc. can 'realistically' power out of a submission from someone like Bryan.

I've noticed WWE has been working to get guys to do this recently, but I see it as a good thing. I think it's part of the re-sensitisation programme. We've been used to a system which has slowly developed over time whereby guys can hold onto a submission for over a minute and manoeuvre their opponents, and their own, body weights to the rope to break a hold. It's like the way foreign objects went in the WWE. Once upon a time a single chair shot would undoubtably end a match. Then we wiggled our way up to where we had a match like the Royal Rubmel 'I quit' match between The Rock and Foley where it took something like 13.

If you get guys to tap out quickly to their opponents finishing manoeuvre, when somebody doesn't do it, it's going to become special again. Think when Bobby Lashley broke the Masterlock (for what good that did in the longrun). It creates instant magic, but like I said, you have to get re-sensitised to it again first, which is what this is. Or at least that's how I see it.

People tap to Hells Gate, they also bled from the mouth beforehand but not anymore, apparently thats good enough to get him past Randy Savage in the WZ Tournament. Fuck you!

Wayyy back when Miz was champ and Cena faced him and Riley, after about half an hour of abuse, Cena hulked up and applied the STF. Miz tapped immediately.

Heels that are portrayed as cowardly should tap like that. I wouldn't have a "tough guy" like Cesaro tap out before a ten-count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back