• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why do Bryan fans want him to be a main eventer so bad when he is a B+

Robert Roode Fan

Occasional Pre-Show
So many people who do not support bryan being champion have asked.

Why do Bryan fans want Bryan to win the title on sunday and be a main eventer for good?

Many have been quick to point out that many wrestlers like Jake the Snake Roberts, Rowdy Piper, Ted Dibase, WAY bigger stars than Bryan. I am one of those who is not sure if Bryan should have ever even won the WHC. I do understand that Bryan fans GO WAY OVERBOARD and do want him to become champion, that does become annoying.

However I understand why Bryan Fans want this so bad.

You see back in the day(one of my favorite sayings), people never complained about Jake, Piper, even perfect(should have been champion) because they were used very well, even if you were in the mid card, you could still make a name for yourself. However today's wwe, you can't.

There are times that wwe pushes the mid card, like they did with the sheild, but look at Dean Ambrose, what is he doing with the us title, I forget he was even us champion. There are times when the tag titles get focus, like with Bryan and Kane and Goldust and Cody, how long did that last, not very.

However most of the time, the mid card gets no focus. They just chose not to give the mid card any glory, even though there is some good talent. I am not saying make these guys main event focus, but at least the focus that mid carders got back in late 2003 to 2004.

Back to the point I think they are afraid that Bryan going back down to the mid card, and kill his carrer. That is because you can't shine most of the time in the mid card like you use to. I can see where they are coming from. There was a time where you could become a pretty big star in the mid card, look at Rob Van Damn, he was not as big as the game triple h, but a pretty big star the same. I

However now the mid card is almost gone. You can't be big in the mid card anymore, in fact you become irrelevent, which is stupid.

I wish Bryan never won the world title, and instead they used him and had him be like Rob Van Dam and even Jericho were before they won the big one.

Wwe says he is a B+ Player and that is not to far off. However why not let him BE A B+. The problem is when he leaves the A scene(come on he is not a staying main eventer), he might be treated like an F-, like so many others have been.

If they had never put the belt on him and then ripped it away, you probably would have never had the Royal Rumble Fiasco.

If he was tearing it up in the mid card and having great mid card matches and having spotlight in a mid card that is worth something, where he can get have REAL SPOTLIGHT, like Orton did as a mid carder, even Rob Van Damn, NO ONE WOULD GRIP. Wwe could have avoided all of this if they treated their mid card with respect, his fans would be fine with him being a mid carder.

It's not complicated.

If Bryan is over with the fans, and he's great in the ring. He deserves to be a main-eventer.

WWE says he's a B+ player because they're telling a story. They're telling the story of Bryan overcoming the odds, like he's going to do at WrestleMania when he beat Triple H and proves he's a B+ player.. That's the whole point of this.

Don't you get it?

No disrespect to all those guys in the past. But to be honest roddy is the one who has a legitimate claim to never winning the title. I think now a days most of the iwc will overrate the past and make it seem like it can never be topped. Then put down the current guys who are doing a lot of different things that have never been done before in the ring

Bryan has a connection with the fans. That alone is very rare nowadays. Especially for mid-card talent. When you also thrown in the fact that he's an insanely talented wrestler, decent on the mic, and has true passion for what he does... why shouldn't he be a main-eventer? It's not for one person to decide who is a "B+" Player and who is not. Triple H keeps saying that to get under the fans skins. It's a heel tactic. Daniel wouldn't be NEAR the position he's in now if the powers that be didn't have faith in him. Just let it play out. Who knows? Maybe he won't even be champion for that long.... then the small handful of people who seem to have a problem with the current product can be happy again.

No disrespect to all those guys in the past. But to be honest roddy is the one who has a legitimate claim to never winning the title. I think now a days most of the iwc will overrate the past and make it seem like it can never be topped. Then put down the current guys who are doing a lot of different things that have never been done before in the ring
CMON man. LOL Perfect had the most legit claim and I am more of a Piper fan. Perfect looked the part, also who would not want a champion named MR Perfect. Still those guys are legends still. The past was great, though it does suck when attuide era fans(I am one) and golden era fans have to put down other wreslters just because they are not from the past.

Bryan has a connection with the fans. That alone is very rare nowadays. Especially for mid-card talent. When you also thrown in the fact that he's an insanely talented wrestler, decent on the mic, and has true passion for what he does... why shouldn't he be a main-eventer? It's not for one person to decide who is a "B+" Player and who is not. Triple H keeps saying that to get under the fans skins. It's a heel tactic. Daniel wouldn't be NEAR the position he's in now if the powers that be didn't have faith in him. Just let it play out. Who knows? Maybe he won't even be champion for that long.... then the small handful of people who seem to have a problem with the current product can be happy again.

So did other mid card talents, he is good and like I said I am conflicted on whether or not he should be champion. At this point they might as well make him champion. However there is no doubt wwe had no intention on making the guy a main eventer until the crowd forced them to do so. They probably would never even run into this problem if they just never put him in the main event to begin with.

So did other mid card talents, he is good and like I said I am conflicted on whether or not he should be champion. At this point they might as well make him champion. However there is no doubt wwe had no intention on making the guy a main eventer until the crowd forced them to do so. They probably would never even run into this problem if they just never put him in the main event to begin with.

I don't see how this is a problem. DB's making them a ton of money in merch sales (and before someone mentions it, no he's no match for Cena but who is?) he gets better reactions than the other mid-card talents you probably have in mind, he makes the people enjoy the product and it's not like they lose anything from him being champ, there's really only gain there. Where you see a problem WWE's only seeing dollar signs.

Also the topic title is kinda silly, I mean if you're a fan of someone wouldn't it be natural for you to want them to get as far as they can possibly get? It's not like people go "Man I'm a huge "______" fan! I sure hope "______" stays in the midcard forever! They better not ever let "______" in the main event and succeed there, no sir I would hate that.

I don't see how this is a problem. DB's making them a ton of money in merch sales (and before someone mentions it, no he's no match for Cena but who is?) he gets better reactions than the other mid-card talents you probably have in mind, he makes the people enjoy the product and it's not like they lose anything from him being champ, there's really only gain there. Where you see a problem WWE's only seeing dollar signs.

Also the topic title is kinda silly, I mean if you're a fan of someone wouldn't it be natural for you to want them to get as far as they can possibly get? It's not like people go "Man I'm a huge "______" fan! I sure hope "______" stays in the midcard forever! They better not ever let "______" in the main event and stay there, no sir I would hate that.

OH COME ON, they never wanted him to be in the main event. You should know this by now, they thought he was a mid carder at best. They were going to do Batista vs. Orton and the crowd changed there that. I do not hate the man, but to be honest he would have been better in the mid card, was jake the snake horrible, no. There is no shame of being in the mid card. I also have said i am not a hater, I like the guy.

OH COME ON, they never wanted him to be in the main event. You should know this by now, they thought he was a mid carder at best. They were going to do Batista vs. Orton and the crowd changed there that. I do not hate the man, but to be honest he would have been better in the mid card, was jake the snake horrible, no. There is no shame of being in the mid card. I also have said i am not a hater, I like the guy.

Never's a strong word, it's also inaccurate in this case. If they never wanted him in the ME he wouldn't be there, plain and simple. He had a good thing going in team hell no and if they "never wanted him to be in the main event" or "thought he was a mid carder at best" he would've stayed with Kane, or in the mid-card doing other stuff. But instead he was in the main event for most of the latter half of 2013 and of course here we are talking about him being in it again this Sunday.

As for Batista and Orton, they simply overestimated Batista's star power. If he was as big as a star as they thought then they wouldn't have to worry about the crowd. But they were wrong and thus plans had to be changed. No shame in that either, happens all the time. Also considering that Orton's not really that popular of a champ and Batista's not in the greatest ring shape they would most likely had to change the match in one form or another even without DB in their plans.

And maybe there's no shame in being in the mid-card, but when a guy is both extremely talented and very popular then it's just a waste, for both the fans and the WWE. For the fans since being stuck in the mid-card means less chances to see that person compete against the rest of the top talent in the company, and for the WWE since mid-card guys just naturally gets them less money.

Where are these people, and when have they asked? I haven't heard or seen it, and I'm on here daily.

Why do Bryan fans want Bryan to win the title on sunday and be a main eventer for good?
Because of the connection he has with the fans, which is incredibly organic, and his wrestling ability, which is outstanding.

Many have been quick to point out that many wrestlers like Jake the Snake Roberts, Rowdy Piper, Ted Dibase, WAY bigger stars than Bryan. I am one of those who is not sure if Bryan should have ever even won the WHC. I do understand that Bryan fans GO WAY OVERBOARD and do want him to become champion, that does become annoying.
We have the luxury of looking back at their careers and saying that they're bigger stars, let's see how Bryan's career plays out. I'm guessing that if people had told you in 2006 or 2007 that John Cena would one day have held the second most titles other then Flair with his record 16 World Titles, you would have laughed them away.

Understand my point?
You see back in the day(one of my favorite sayings), people never complained about Jake, Piper, even perfect(should have been champion) because they were used very well, even if you were in the mid card, you could still make a name for yourself. However today's wwe, you can't.
Sure you can. The Wyatt's haven't won any titles, they've made quite the name for themselves. The Shield didn't even challenge for any titles until six months after debuting, and they were running the place. Neither faction has risen above the mid-card, championship-wise, but would you argue they haven't made names for themselves?

There are times that wwe pushes the mid card, like they did with the sheild, but look at Dean Ambrose, what is he doing with the us title, I forget he was even us champion. There are times when the tag titles get focus, like with Bryan and Kane and Goldust and Cody, how long did that last, not very.
Over a year, and the tag division isn't in as terrible shape as you would make it out to be. The Shield had a run in between, you forget, and the Usos are fine champions right now. The problem is, with Ambrose as U.S. Champ and there being no brand split, there's no need for a second mid-card single's title.

Back to the point I think they are afraid that Bryan going back down to the mid card, and kill his carrer. That is because you can't shine most of the time in the mid card like you use to. I can see where they are coming from. There was a time where you could become a pretty big star in the mid card, look at Rob Van Damn, he was not as big as the game triple h, but a pretty big star the same.
Main event status doesn't mean that you're always holding a title, or main-eventing a show. Is John Cena in the mid-card right now because he's feuding with Bray Wyatt? No. If and when Bryan leaves the title picture, it doesn't mean he'll shuffle off down the card and be forgotten.

I wish Bryan never won the world title, and instead they used him and had him be like Rob Van Dam and even Jericho were before they won the big one.
That's your God-given right. Most people disagree with you, however.

Wwe says he is a B+ Player and that is not to far off. However why not let him BE A B+.
HHH says that, and he's doing a little thing called selling a storyline. Why not let him be a B+? He's not, and WWE realizes that, for one. They had Bryan win the WWE Title at Summerslam from John Cena. Quick, think of the people who have beaten Cena clean since he's become a main eventer in a single's match.

Daniel Bryan(Summerslam 2013)
CM Punk(won title, MITB 2011)
HHH(title defense Night of Champions 2008, Raw, 2009, non-title)
HBK(non-title, Raw, April 2007)

That's rarified air, and WWE deemed Bryan to be worthy of it 8 months ago. Ever since, he's been a certifiable main-eventer. Before that, he was on a steady rise up the card. Again, you don't grasp the concept of "main-eventer" if you think he ever truly left the main event scene during this time.

The problem is when he leaves the A scene(come on he is not a staying main eventer), he might be treated like an F-, like so many others have been.
Unlike others, like Jack Swagger, Miz, or Zach Ryder, Bryan has shown sustainable popularity and an ability to draw heat with fans. (Remember when he turned heel after winning the WHC, and treated AJ poorly?) They didn't have an organic crowd connection the likes of Bryan, nor his skill in the ring.

And you honestly believe Bryan is going to have the bottom fall out on him? Even if he works the upper-mid-card like The Shield or The Wyatts or Cena is doing, fans will be just fine with it. He's where he belongs, because he is a top-of-the-card guy.
If they had never put the belt on him and then ripped it away, you probably would have never had the Royal Rumble Fiasco.
I was there. It was a fiasco for several reasons.

1. I wasn't, but people were tired of seeing Orton vs. Cena. It's been done to death. That's where the fiasco started.
2. They expected Batista to be received back like Rock, like a certifiable movie star. He's not, he's never had an amazing crowd connection, yet they expected him to return, win the Rumble 6 days later, and everyone be thrilled. They weren't.
3. People were pissed Bryan wasn't even in the Rumble. That was the discussion around me. Not that he win it, but that he at least be in it.
4. Some were drunk.
5. Some were mad Bryan didn't enter and win the Rumble. I won't say there weren't some fans like that as well. There were.
If he was tearing it up in the mid card and having great mid card matches and having spotlight in a mid card that is worth something.
He did. His first two years in the company, that's exactly what he did. You're saying he should have done that forever. No, people advance when they show skills beyond their position on the card, and Bryan has shown such skills.

where he can get have REAL SPOTLIGHT, like Orton did as a mid carder, even Rob Van Damn, NO ONE WOULD GRIP. Wwe could have avoided all of this if they treated their mid card with respect, his fans would be fine with him being a mid carder.
People would be happier if WWE treated their mid-card with respect, but wherever Bryan was positioned, he's been successful. Tag team? Extremely over. People weren't griping, demanding he be World Champion. Nice run as U.S. Champion? It was his first title, he had a nice run, a great series of matches with Ziggler, got some of Miz's best matches out of him, and opened quite a few PPV's. No one was demanding he be a World Champion.

Until he developed as a performer. Until his all-around skills as a performer became apparent. Until he succeeded in every role he was put into. Until he was given just the chance to get an organic connection with the fans. I know that he has gotten farther then he probably expected, and that WWE expected.

But I believe they've known what they were going to do for a long time with Bryan at Wrestlemania 30. It's been apparent in his push, and his usage.

And that pesky little thing that so many mid-carders lack, but Bryan has shown he has-on top of all his other attributes- in spades.

Charisma.

Well the WWE certainly doesn't think he's a B+ because if they did, he wouldn't have been allowed to get clean wins over Cena and Orton in the last year. They want us to believe that they think he's B+ but he has been booked like an A+ for over a year.

Robertroodefan i disagree, well imo mr perfect to me was a good midcard to upper midcard. Aside from his inring work he never really stood out to me. I grew up during the attitude era and back then everything was awesome to me. But when i re watch it, i tend to cringe at things i liked. The only guys back then who were legit A to A+ players were Austin, The Rock, HHH, and Undertaker, Mick Foley (to a certain extent) .

wwe never see daniel bryan as a main eventer. They used used him as mick foley a short term champion. But all things are changed. They even think batista is perfect replacement for bryan. But fans reject batitsa and others. now fans forced wwe DB to win title at wm. Once the fans cool down. They burry bryan and replace with other superstar.

However I understand why Bryan Fans want this so bad.

However most of the time, the mid card gets no focus. They just chose not to give the mid card any glory, even though there is some good talent. I am not saying make these guys main event focus, but at least the focus that mid carders got back in late 2003 to 2004.

Back to the point I think they are afraid that Bryan going back down to the mid card, and kill his carrer. That is because you can't shine most of the time in the mid card like you use to. I can see where they are coming from. There was a time where you could become a pretty big star in the mid card, look at Rob Van Damn, he was not as big as the game triple h, but a pretty big star the same. I

However now the mid card is almost gone. You can't be big in the mid card anymore, in fact you become irrelevent, which is stupid.

Wwe says he is a B+ Player and that is not to far off. However why not let him BE A B+. The problem is when he leaves the A scene(come on he is not a staying main eventer), he might be treated like an F-, like so many others have been.

If he was tearing it up in the mid card and having great mid card matches and having spotlight in a mid card that is worth something, where he can get have REAL SPOTLIGHT, like Orton did as a mid carder, even Rob Van Damn, NO ONE WOULD GRIP. Wwe could have avoided all of this if they treated their mid card with respect, his fans would be fine with him being a mid carder.

I see you are buying into the WWE storyline. The truth is for fans who like wrestling over sports entertainment DB is their guy and he belongs in the main event.

WWE says he's a B+ player because they're telling a story. They're telling the story of Bryan overcoming the odds, like he's going to do at WrestleMania when he beat Triple H and proves he's a B+ player.. That's the whole point of this.

Yes, it is. Through the years, a huge part of WWE's success has been getting it's fans to become invested in storylines. I'll admit to sometimes finding myself taken in by a plot development and wondering how much of it is true in real life, or not. It's fun.

Daniel Bryan's "B+" program is a storyline. He worked for several years on the lower-midcard, jobbing to people like Sin Cara. If he was regarded as so all-fire wonderful, why didn't we see it back then?

It wasn't until Creative came up with this "underdog" program, to go along with an easy-to-like audience-participation chant, that we discovered how terrific he is? What kept him from main event status before?

Here's how I see Daniel Bryan: an A-level performer with a B-level body; it's small and paunchy, which makes him seem an unlikely opponent for guys like John Cena and Triple H. But this is pro wrestling, so we can suspend disbelief and enjoy the Daniel Bryan Experience while he makes his way to the top, even with management looking to keep him down. That's the storyline, right?

One warning: Danny's program is based on him being an underdog. Once he wins the title, he won't be one anymore. Let's see how long the public fascination for him keeps up once he's wearing the belt.

Yes, it is. Through the years, a huge part of WWE's success has been getting it's fans to become invested in storylines. I'll admit to sometimes finding myself taken in by a plot development and wondering how much of it is true in real life, or not. It's fun.

Daniel Bryan's "B+" program is a storyline. He worked for several years on the lower-midcard, jobbing to people like Sin Cara. If he was regarded as so all-fire wonderful, why didn't we see it back then?

It wasn't until Creative came up with this "underdog" program, to go along with an easy-to-like audience-participation chant, that we discovered how terrific he is? What kept him from main event status before?

Here's how I see Daniel Bryan: an A-level performer with a B-level body; it's small and paunchy, which makes him seem an unlikely opponent for guys like John Cena and Triple H. But this is pro wrestling, so we can suspend disbelief and enjoy the Daniel Bryan Experience while he makes his way to the top, even with management looking to keep him down. That's the storyline, right?

One warning: Danny's program is based on him being an underdog. Once he wins the title, he won't be one anymore. Let's see how long the public fascination for him keeps up once he's wearing the belt.

These are all good points, especially the point of what may or may not happen if Bryan becomes champion.

As far as Bryan being an A or B player, sometimes, it's ultimately fans who choose who they feel is an "A player" and who isn't. Take Del Rio, for instance, in that he was booked as an "A player" almost from the moment he arrived in WWE. He was given multiple pushes and opportunities, including four World Championship runs, but he never really got over to the level necessary to be a main eventer. No matter how much some of WWE management, primarily Vince, may like Del Rio and felt he has the goods, the fans simply don't feel the same way. Del Rio's great inside the ring, but fans just haven't connected with him. Sometimes, it takes the right timing and the right storyline to elevate someone to main event status. It didn't happen overnight with Cena, The Rock, Stone Cold, Warrior, Savage, Punk, etc.

In Bryan's case, whenever he's been given the opportunity, he's run with it. He won the WHC and between then and WrestleMania became one of the most over heels in the company. He still had people chanting "Yes" at the time as sort of a "mockery" of him, or that's how they used it in the storyline. He spent the summer chasing the WWE Championship with CM Punk, producing a series of really strong matches. Like everything else with Bryan, Team Hell No became a highly unexpected hit with fans. It may have ultimately been intended for the team to merely be a comedy duo, I dunno whether it was or not, but fans connected in a way that nobody expected. Since returning to singles action, fans have only rallied around Bryan all the more. While he may not have initially been intended to be a main event guy, it doesn't really matter. He may not have been the guy that management felt would shine in such a role, but it wouldn't be the first time management got something wrong.

Simple reason why we want Daniel Bryan to be a Main Event Player.. We can get behind someone like him.. He is a true underdog,OP. I wont bore you with his story as im sure your bright enough to look it up yourself. Daniel is not your typical wrestler as im sure you know.

He is not 6'3 250 pounds. He is 5'9 at best around 190 pounds or so. But the man is a amazing performer a true wrestling machine. He has holds that he hasn't even unleashed yet. The man right now,can wrestler circles around 97% of the roster including super Cena himself.

Plus the connection he has with the fans,is something that must not be ignored. You do know,every arena he goes into though,the YES chants are deafening. His merch sales are through the roof,not hard to see in the arena with a bunch of Daniel Shirts,signs,people chanting yes. Yes its inevitable he wont hold the title forever no one does. Has he not been a Main Event player for 2 solid years now? hell even during WM28,the fans were chanting Daniel Bryan and the YES chants were deafening.

A few things.

1) The only person in that group that garnered anything close to the reaction of Daniel Bryan was Roddy Piper - a guy so hated that he could've turned Jesus Christ heel by association. Not to diminish what the others did - they were all great and clearly over with the crowd - but this is as close to a fact as an opinion can be. The reaction to Bryan takes over the arena. They chant for him during matches he's not a part of. They didn't do that for Perfect. They didn't do that for Roberts. They didn't do that for DiBiase. When those guys were off camera, the fans moved on to the next guy. When Bryan is off camera, the fans chant for him anyway.

History might show that those guys were better performers, or they had more lasting careers - but at no point in those guys careers were they ever as over as Daniel Bryan is right now.

2) The reason Piper never won the title probably had a little something to do with Hulk Hogan holding that belt from 1984-1988. That was pretty much Piper's entire stint as a WWF main event talent. Why didn't fans complain? Well, there are a few reasons...

You can start with the obvious. People wanted to see their hero take down the villain - so they naturally didn't want to see Piper with the belt.

But there was also the fact that wrestling wasn't over saturated in the 1980s. Hogan was able to hold the belt for 4 years because we had so few chances to see him. He rarely - if ever - showed up on the Saturday/Sunday morning shows. There was no Raw. There was never more than 4 pay-per views. And SNME was just getting started by the end of the reign.

With the explosion of WWF programming in the late 90's, the WWF started playing hot potato with the World Title in order to maintain interest in the product ... and in doing so, they devalued the title.

In the 80's, it would've been crazy to think a guy like Roberts, DiBiase or even Perfect could hold the title because it meant something. Today, we've seen guys like Jack Swagger and The Miz get their turn at carrying the belt. It's at a point where putting a guy in a World Title program and not letting him sniff the belt is almost like a slap in the face.

aside from the fact that daniel bryan has been playing low card mid card and main event for 8 months he gets to prove it once and for all why he is the man since flairs to old u gotta beat the man to be the man and hhh is as close as it gets he already finished cena clean what he and punk have done will culminate sunday and to put it in percfect poetic words the end of the night should see bryan tappin H out n the animal with CATTLE MUTALATION

How is Daniel Bryan B+ would be my first question. I mean calling Daniel Bryan is just an insult to guys similar to him who achieved a level of greatness not many others could have. It's an insult to Eddie, Chris Benoit, and even HBK who were all small guys who could let out a storm in the ring each and every night.

B+ should honestly refer to guys like Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Christian, and to a certain limit Rey Mysterio. These are all guys who are somewhat marketable, decent in the ring, can work the mic and get the fans to go with them. All rounders who just aren't top tier guys are B+, Daniel Bryan has all the things with him except for height which he can't really help. He is given a troll style look which isn't his fault, the guy looks decent with a small/no beard and shorter hair. He looks like a goof when he just had basic short hair, maybe with a tweak in his looks could lead to a more wholesome looking main event guy who is in fact A level talent.

Just purely going by all the various responses to Bryan over the course of the past several months on the WZ forums alone, it's pretty obvious that there aren't "many" people who don't want Bryan to be champion. Unless logic and rudimentary mathematics have suddenly changed when nobody was looking, a small handful comprised of 3 or 4 people don't qualify as "many" in this particular instance. What's accurate would be to say that an extremely small minority don't want Daniel Bryan to become WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Like every other wrestler, Bryan doesn't appeal to everybody and that's cool. But...c'mon...there's no real point in trying to exaggerate just how many Bryan haters come to these forums in a half assed attempt to add some degree of strength to your position when it's perfectly obvious that, at this point in time, that the number of Bryan fans VASTLY exceeds the number of haters. It looks incredibly foolish to even attempt to claim otherwise.

Having a connection with the fans? Well, you just answered the question as to why John Cena has been on top for the last eight years- because of "Let's Go, Cena" "Cena Sucks" chants, meaning he has a connection with the fans. Yet many of you say he doesn't deserve to be there.

Hell, Christian used to have a connection with the crowd, but it didn't help him get anywhere (and he was given the title more for being a friend of Edge, rather than his connection with the fans).

Santino Marella has some connection with the fans, is a similar height to Daniel Bryan, but no way should he ever win the WWE Title in the main event at WM.

Also, didn't Zack Ryder have a connection with the fans once as well?

The fans are not always right.

I think Daniel Bryan (like CM Punk) is a waste if he's used as a solid main eventer. I feel he has far more to offer as a midcarder. He's got the right size, the lack of an interesting gimmick, and the unappealing ability on the mic. He works so much better as a midcarder. I see him as someone who could grow in the midcard and become an interesting character with an interesting gimmick rather than being pushed to new heights by very vocal supporters.

I remember an old promo given by The Rock where he says "The people made The Rock". This may have never been truer than it is in the case of Daniel Bryan. Sure he's crisp in the ring but that's about the most appealing thing about him as a babyface. At least when he was a heel in the midcard, he was interesting. He'd treat AJ like crap, he'd weasel out of matches, and he'd (more sensibly) chant "YES!" to gloat. His babyface character seems to be void of any captivating quirks or characteristics. That's far more forgivable as a midcarder babyface than a main eventing babyface. *Kofi Kingston nods*

The Rock, Austin, and Hogan didn't need the fans to vocally propel them into main event status. Their characters got people excited. Daniel Bryan's "YES!" battlecry is the most appealing character trait about him since he's been in the main event. That's pretty sad. Hogan was a motivational meathead. Undertaker was a zombie-inspired powerhouse. The Rock, HHH, and Austin embodied attitude and "badassery". John Cena flaunts his ability to be a cross between a GI-Joe and a superhero. Notice that all of these main eventers are unique in their own way but each of them have legacies that stuck because they could be written as legitimate alpha-male dominating forces. Having (and being) an underdog gimmick, does not work for a steady main eventer. Not having an appealing gimmick doesn't work either. This is why I see Daniel Bryan as someone who would be better off as an occasional main eventer who mostly stays in the midcard (like Jericho). There's nothing wrong with being the best of the midcard. I wish most of DB's fans could see this.

Who are these people you speak of who are supposedly ok with wrestlers like Jake, Piper, and Dibiase never getting a run with the world title? Because I've always found it an absolute crime that Dibiase in particular never held that title, despite being one of the greatest heels of all time. In fact, I'd argue that legendary wrestlers never getting to hold 'the big one' has greatly contributed to the current fan movement to ensure that guys like Bryan and Punk DO get their time at the top of the company. The fans contempt for the WWE's booking decisions didn't just appear overnight with the rise of Daniel Bryan; it's been building for a long time, partially because fans don't trust the WWE because they don't feel that past talent like Dibiase and Piper (and numerous others) ever got what they deserved.

Why do fans want to see Bryan (or whoever their favourite wrestler is) hold the world/wwe title? Well, it makes just as much sense as people wanting to see their favourite sports team win the Stanely Cup or the Superbowl or whatever. Can an athlete have a good career without winning it? Sure. Can a pro-wrestler have a great career in the mid-card and still have it mean something? Well, not as much as a main-event career (either financially or in terms of personal accomplishment), but sure. But the fact is, fans want to see the people they root for reach the pinnacle in their professions, especially if they genuinely believe that they are the best at what they do. And the pinnacle of pro-wrestling is to be the heavyweight champion. And people truly believe that Daniel Bryan deserves it more than anyone else at this point in time.

Which brings me to another point: Daniel Bryan is not a B+ player. He's A+, if anything. The guy is one of the most over wrestlers I have ever seen. This, in spite of the fact that he's been brutally dissected and over-analyzed by his critics (including some of the best mic-workers in the business) at every turn. And that's really the only thing that matters. When fans are trying to determine how good a wrestler is, they look at their mic skills, their technical skills, their look, their gimmick, etc. Everybody has an opinion on which of these is the most important. But most people forget that these are all just tools that wrestlers CAN use to get over. Means to an end, if you will. Getting over, no matter how you do it, is the ultimate goal. And regardless of anyone's personal opinions or preferences, Daniel Bryan has objectively done it better than anyone else in the industry today.

As for the midcard, I agree with you that it doesn't mean much nowadays, although I disagree that a talent of Bryan's calibre should be confined to it. The midcard titles should be the showcase for promising up and comers, and for great workers who (for whatever reason) just can't get over enough to be a top guy, neither of which is DB. Even so, it should be more important than it is, and top mid-card talent should still be able to shine and have great careers, as you said. It's just a matter of booking, writing, and placing emphasis on the division (as the talent is already there). Still, you have to recognize that even with a strong mid-card, fans are never going to be content to see a genuine main event talent stuck in what is, by definition, a less important division. Now, make another belt mean as much as the heavyweight title so that it can alternate main-events, and that's a different story. Unfortunately (well, for anyone who doesn't want to see DB holding THE main title, anyway), the WWE did away with the World Title, which could have been that suitable replacement.

Maybe because he isn't a B+ guy? He is someone who is good in the ring and can wrestle anyone which not everyone can do. And some of us still cling to the idea that this is wrestling so the guy should be decent in the ring. Not saying he needs to be the champ for the next 5 years but fans like him, why not push him? They are pushing Batista now like mad when no one wants him around and he us B+ at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back