Why did the Alliance not have ECW championships?

One to Remember

Championship Contender
Why do you think Vince McMhon never utilized the ECW World or Television titles during the Alliance? The last championship holder of both titles, Rhino was already on the WWF roster and I never understood why he didn't just declare himself champion still. Imagine a unificationbought between the ECW champion, the WCW champion, and the WWF champion! It also would had lent more credence to the credibility of the WWF's "Undisputed Championship." Two more titles couldn't of possible hurt.

Why do you think Vince McMhon never utilized the ECW World or Television titles during the Alliance? The last championship holder of both titles, Rhino was already on the WWF roster and I never understood why he didn't just declare himself champion still. Imagine a unificationbought between the ECW champion, the WCW champion, and the WWF champion! It also would had lent more credence to the credibility of the WWF's "Undisputed Championship." Two more titles couldn't of possible hurt.

I believe he did it because it would have taken the spotlight away from both of the other World titles and it would have inherently given one of the factions an edge over the other at all times. Also to Vince the ECW title most likely meant a lot less to him and in his eyes the common fan probably neither heard of nor cared about ECW before it randomly showed up on Raw that fateful night. At the time it was all about the battle between the 2 biggest wrestling companies of all time and ECW just got thrown into the mix to keep things fresh and add have the fans feeling as if the WWF could actually lose. It was always about Vince's rivalry with WCW and his ever present need to make anything he did seem infinitely better than anything that had not been created by him. Aside from Rhyno though I honestly can't think of anyone that would have been good enough to hold the title for a while during the program and not cheapen its value, as most of the main event guys were in programs at the time or feuding for the other World Titles.

It might have made sense for them to have Rhyno win the Hardcore Championship, and replace that with the ECW title, getting rid of the 24-7 rule. But I think that an ECW title, in addition to the WWE, WCW, US, Intercontinental and European titles, plus two sets of tag belts and a Women's champion, wouldn't have added much.

Aside from Rhyno though I honestly can't think of anyone that would have been good enough to hold the title for a while during the program and not cheapen its value, as most of the main event guys were in programs at the time or feuding for the other World Titles.

Well, there was this one guy, Rob something.

Well, there was this one guy, Rob something.

I don't think that Van Dam would have feuded with or won the title from Rhyno if that's how they would have chosen to bring it in simply because they were on the same team at the time and the Alliance was all for team work and getting every title they could away from the WWF. There really weren't any WWF guys that could have held onto the title long enough for it to change hands and drop it to Van Dam to have him carry it without making the title lose its prestige. With Jericho being part of the main storyline and fighting and holding the WCW title on a few occasions and the Rock doing the same and the BOD going after the tag titles I honestly can''t think of anyone that could have brought main event quality matches in the WWF that was already in the upper midcard at the time that the fans would have bought as the champion.

Because it wouldn't have made much sense to the fans would it. WWE were trying to get across that they were taking over WCW and they were better than WCW. They didn't really do anything to say that they were taking over ECW. Also a extra world title would have over crowded the title scene. I know that sounds hard to do, but imagine the WWE trying to promote the 3 world title matches plus the elimination match at Survivor series.

TOOO many titles...

There would have bene just too many!! there were a lot of title being thrown around...I mean it would taken something away from the otehr world titles.., also its not like VKM brought the WCW TV title? he only bought the 3 main ones...

I was reading a book called "Turning The Tables" by John Lister - about ECW. In the concluding paragraphs he covers the legal cases following the folding of ECW. Apparently Vince was fighting against the parent company of Acclaim (the video game company).

ECW owed Acclaim a lot of money and the story goes that they were in battle for many months over who should get the ECW stuff. It may be that the belts were a part of this.

That and the fact that there would've been too many titles on the line.

because bringing in a faction, who had two world champions, 2 midcard champions, and 2 sets of tag titles, would of shifted the power to them imo, WWE had to be on par with them,

imo they should of merged the ECW Titles With WCW titles, we could of had

The Dudlys as the "ECWCW Tag Team Champions" now that would be cool :D

I have thought and dreamt about this for so long so many times. Why didn’t Vince make ECW stronger?? Why did Vince take WCW Champions who happen to be no names at the time, and combined them with ECW Big Names who happen to not be Champions at the time?? Why did Vince make the WCW / ECW Alliance??

I think my questions answer themselves. WCW Champions with ECW Big Names equal a faction with Big Names and Champions.

What I would have done instead, would have been to keep “World” and “Extreme” separate. I don’t think there was a need to make it a Federation vs. Alliance war. It should have been a three sided war. I, too, would have had Rhino hold up the ECW World and Television Titles. I would have had Paul Heyman bring in Danny Doring and Roadkill, even for just one appearance to drop the ECW Tag Titles to the Dudleys. During this storyline, there were matches and mini feuds between faction teammates, so the Dudleys vs. the final ECW Tag Champs was possible.

The PPVs from Invasion to the Survivor Series would have been better in my opinion. Something as simple as this could have probably extended the storyline to WrestleMania X8. Imagine this Main Event. ECW and Television Champion, Rhyno vs. WCW and United States Champion, Booker T. vs. WWF and Intercontinental Champion, Stone Cold Steve Austin in the Unification, Winner Take All, Championship match. WOW!! Of course, at the following Raw, Austin would retire the WCW, ECW, United States and Television Titles, and would vacate the Intercontinental Title for a tournament.

I think it was the simple fact that ECW had already folded a long time before the WCW purchase, when they Brought in the WCW guys, you could realistically see that guys would come in with titles. The way ECW entered into the Alliance, the invasion had already started so it wouldn't make sense to just add a couple of belts out of nowhere. Now if WCW and ECW were acquired at the same time, then I think definitely they would have used all the titles.

I think when the ECW returned they intended them to be there own group and faction. But not enough guys came back or wanted to be part of the Invasion angle. So because not enought guys were involved they had ECW join WCW.

Since that happened I personally think it was a good idea not bringing it back. Since ECW and WCW joined force one of the World Titles ECW or WCW World title would end up looking weak and second to the other. This would most likely be the ECW title being weak and second. So I'm not irritated they didn't bring it back. Although I do think it would have been entertaining and fun if they did bring it back.

because bringing in a faction, who had two world champions, 2 midcard champions, and 2 sets of tag titles, would of shifted the power to them imo, WWE had to be on par with them,
I would had not unified the titles but probably had the ECW and WCW strap around the same person at once more often the not. The same for the ECW TV title and say the WCW Crusierweight or U.S. champ. All Rhino had to declare was that he was STILL the World champion and then he could also give some other guy like Dreamer the TV title. Or he could had just thrown the TV title in a garbage can allowing Sgt. Slaughter to find it several weeks later and begin defending it..

The Dudley's likewise would had made great ECW tag team champions and I think perhaps the tag team titles could be the focal point of their own pay per view. Regardless of the decreased prominence of the tag team division a triple unification dynamic would had sold allot of tickets.

Acclaim has nothing to do with the belts being depicted on TV, taz had his on tv.

And werent road kill and danny doring some point later under developmental contracts? Why not bring them into the ECW brand era to drop the tag belts? Never got that..
I don't think that Van Dam would have feuded with or won the title from Rhyno if that's how they would have chosen to bring it in simply because they were on the same team at the time and the Alliance was all for team work and getting every title they could away from the WWF.
Drop the ECW title to Malenko and give it back to RVD I'd say if you al think RVD just needed it that bad. And was there not 1 ep where everyone turned on Tazz for no clear reason? Tazz could had wo it and handed it back to RVD too.
Attitude said:
I think when the ECW returned they intended them to be there own group and faction. But not enough guys came back or wanted to be part of the Invasion angle. So because not enought guys were involved they had ECW join WCW.
They had no choice and they had enough to do something with.

I just think that they didn't believe it was the right time, or that they were going to do it at all. I don't think WWE has given much credibility to The ECW Title or considered it much of a landmark win.

If you think about it. They buried most guys that were ECW Originals. Even most of the guys that held that title were buried in WWE. Guys like Sandman, Sabu, Rhyno, Shane Douglas, never did anything in WWE. Raven is debatable. Only a few guys that were considered "ECW Guys" ever did get over in WWE. I am not talking about guys like Benoit, Jericho and Guerrero kind of guys. I mean guys like RVD. Dreamer was sort of over. Only in the new, fake ECW. When he was on WWE Original Programming like Raw and SD or PPVs<Not many of those by the way. He basically jobbed.

Bringing back ECW in the form that it came back in 06 was on sort of a whim. The ECW Title was back all of a sudden.

Look at Taz. One of the best ECW guys ever. He did shit in WWE. His debut he was waaay over. He ended Angle's winning streak. After that he slowly began to fade and became a joke in The Alliance. He was Austin's Whipping Boy!

I think The WCW/ECW Alliance/Invasion Angle was truly meant to squash these 2 brands. Although they did use the WCW Title, I think they looked at it with some sort of credibility, despite The Arquette Incident! The ECW Title had no significance to WWE IMO. It was only when they decided they would bring ECW back as a brand, that they decided The ECW Title was "worthy" to come back!

Very simply it was a matter of copyright. Using the ECW name at all was a bone of contention, because the way that ECW was run meant that its assets were not well defined and there was a lot of rigmarole in breaking it up. The ECW bankruptcy wasn't even filed until April 2001, so its not suprising that Vince didn't risk showing the titles - if ECW's legacy had been given to its creditors, he'd have owed them. WWE didn't oficially purchase ECW's remainingassets until 2003. Creatively speaking, the benefit wasn't worth the risk.

With the WWE and WCW titles already around there were too many titles already and it got a bit silly that pretty much every match was for a title so by adding ECW titles too would have been a step too far.

Basically, the Alliance was formed because neither wCw or ECW could have really worked on their own. ECW had most of their big stars that were around towards the end, but they still only had 10 guys or so. Meanwhile wCw and WWE had many more guys and even women so they could have easily squashed the new faction.
Additionally, the star power and numbers that ECW did have was needed to add to wCw. Because WWE rushed the whole angle, it really suffered. A true wCw invasion would have had Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Nash, Flair, and Jarrett leading the faction along with Bischoff being the head guy like Heyman was for ECW. Alas, this was not the case as there were so many contract issues and they couldn't persuade any of those guys to comes so we settles with Booker T as wCw's #1 guy. This also led to having Austin and Angle join the Alliance to raise the faction's star caliber.

So why weren't the ECW titles around? Because the whole angle was rushed by Vince and their just wasn't enough there to legitimize being it's own separate faction and making it a 3-way war like we'd have wanted to see.

Basically, the Alliance was formed because neither wCw or ECW could have really worked on their own. ECW had most of their big stars that were around towards the end, but they still only had 10 guys or so. Meanwhile wCw and WWE had many more guys and even women so they could have easily squashed the new faction.
Additionally, the star power and numbers that ECW did have was needed to add to wCw. Because WWE rushed the whole angle, it really suffered. A true wCw invasion would have had Hogan, Sting, Goldberg, Nash, Flair, and Jarrett leading the faction along with Bischoff being the head guy like Heyman was for ECW. Alas, this was not the case as there were so many contract issues and they couldn't persuade any of those guys to comes so we settles with Booker T as wCw's #1 guy. This also led to having Austin and Angle join the Alliance to raise the faction's star caliber.

So why weren't the ECW titles around? Because the whole angle was rushed by Vince and their just wasn't enough there to legitimize being it's own separate faction and making it a 3-way war like we'd have wanted to see.

I agree 100% on everything you said The alliance angle could have been drawn out and maybe maybe they could have used the ECW titles however i still believe that because ECW was viewed as basically a 3rd world country sure it had its moments where it was better but it didnt have the funds nor the star power to draw a big crowd and VKM in all his genius probably just had ECW around to make the alliance and gain ECW fans but still didnt view ECW worthy enough to bring back their titles

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back