Whose Line Is It Anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a really simple question, do you think that a show like Whose Line Is It Anyway has a place on TV right now.

In my opinion, WLIIA was one of the best and most compulsively good shows on TV during it’s run. Hosted by Drew Carey, it really does hold a place in my heart as I think about the shows that have shaped my humour and given me multiple hours of entertainment in the past. Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles and Wayne Brady were utterly astounding in these roles and all went on to mixed fortunes after the show. Wayne Brady hosted “Don’t Forget The Lyrics”, which was perfect for him. Colin Mochrie, I think, got his own show back in Canada. I don’t know how it performed but I don’t think it is still going, suffice it to say. Ryan Stiles is probably the most successful of all the contestants of the show as he went on to land a place on Two and a Half Men as Herb.

To me, this show was the greatest 21 minutes of television you could ever hope to see. These guys would consistently go on stage and give it everything they had. It didn’t matter if they were humiliating themselves or making themselves look foolish because they were committing to everything that they were doing. The chemistry in the show is unlike anything I had seen before it and unlike anything I think I will see on TV. It really was a shame that Friends was shown at the same time because it absolutely crushed WLIIA in the ratings. Against any other show, WLIIA might have survived and not have been cancelled. However, it can be extremely proud of the 8 seasons it survived for and the numerous laughs it gave anyone who watched.

So my question is, if WLIIA was moved away from direct competition with Friends, perhaps the most watched show on TV, would it still be around today? I mean, all of these guys are still young enough to do it and it would have been amazing to see the show go on a little further. Also, what did you think of the show and do you think a show like WLIIA has a place on TV anymore?

When it was on it was definitely must see TV for me. I still watch it to this day, but I have seen every episode so much that it just isn't as fun as it was brand new. I usually watch at least one episode a night as the comedy timing of Ryan Styles and Colin Mochery is flawless. Those are the only two guys who barely break character, and Colin is the only on I have never seen do it. Colin was always my favorite as he was the only guy to make Ryan double over in laughter. For those who never got to experience that greatness, I shall now present them the highlight of their day.

[YT]bVpyhwuzFJY[/YT]

Yes, WLIIA would definitely have been on today without direct competetion from Friends or other program. Didn't they try to move the time slot around a bit before they cancelled it? They usually do that with shows before cancelling them.
Anyway, WLIIA was huge fun and I agree with you that the chemistry and fun is some of the best that has been - and, a lot more fun than Friends were and even Dean Martin variety as well. Overall, the people in WLIIA would/could have been stars by themselves having their very own show - in my opinion - that is how good they were. Even such a great show as WLIIA will eventually be cancelled because people get bored with any show or product - not because of the quality of it - but, because of the familiarity of the show/product.
Overall, I think that non-scripted shows are much more interesting than scripted shows like "Friends" are. That is reflected in the huge number of reality shows like American Idols, Mythbusters and many others. Since Carol Burnett Show then WLIIA was the first show I really enjoyed of variety shows so though it is sad it is cancelled then am sure that something similar like this will come again eventually because it is very entertaining and it is cheap to make (except that I think that the stars in it eventually will get so huge salaries that it is no longer profitable for the TV Network to run the show - that is probably what crushed it - Drew made very good money out of it and if he XX dollars per how and suddenly there is only half the viewers - then he should also only get half the salary as well as everyone else - and most likely this did not happen so eventually it just cost the Network money to have.
Look at Two and a Half Men. Now Charlie Sheen will get $850.000 per episode - and that is wonderful for him - but, that will not go on if there is only half the viewers for the show...

I remember first watching WLIIA when I was like 14. The humor and concept of a improv show (if you will) was so new to me and it was hilarious. I agree with Scotty that Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochery where definitely the backbone of that show. It may have been a springboard for Wayne Brady but I usually saw him as being a little too much for my liking. He always tried to take things a step farther and it just wasn't my kind of humor. How Ryan and Colin could keep a straight face in some of the situations they were in is beyond me. As for would it still be on if not for friends? I'm gonna go with a no. I liked the show as much as the next guy but I think the the ratings would have dropped off by season 12 (which is what it would have been now) because the show was basically the same games over and over. While people like me and most of you enjoy the comedy, most people I think need new things happening all the time to keep their interest. And not just that. The American public seems to be wanting drama all the time now as opposed to comedy which is why The Kardashians are stars now along with Kate, Jon, and all that dreck.

Man, I love Drew Carey and almost anything he is attached to, which really isn't all that much. I was a huge fan of The Drew Carey show, which I watched before I ever knew about Whose Line is it Anyway. But, as soon as I learned about WLIIA I couldn't stop watching it. Say what you will about Wayne Brady, but quiet frankly the guy makes me laugh whenever he is on WLIIA. The same goes for Colin Mochery and Ryan Stiles. I find both of those men very underrated as comedians. I also enjoyed most of the rest of the people who frequented the show.

I always found it really cool that the cast was doing improve. I still find myself wondering if the show wasn't a little set up, because some of the stuff they came up with off the tops of their heads was genius. Whose Line always got a laugh out of me and I still try and catch it whenever I know it is going to be on.

Wow, I love "Who's line..." One of my favorite shows to watch as a child and to this day I still watch and laugh at every joke. I love all the antics and shenanigans they did. As you said before, they absolutely did not care if they looked foolish. The motto always was, "Anything for a laugh." I found it phenomenol how all the comedians could just think of something on the top of their heads, improv genius'. I loved all the characters and I remember a very young Stephen Colbert guest starring as a cast. Also Robin Williams. Great show with a fantastic cast! I loved every minute of Who's Line.

Holy crap this is one of my favorite shows of all time. I really miss this show a lot. I don't know if it would still be on today, but I would like to think so. I'm not sure how quickly it would get old since everything is made up on the spot. Doesn't matter how many times I watched it I was always laughing my ass off. xAsian, you mentioned Robin Williams, which is a good one, but does anyone remember Richard Simmons? Now that's freakin hilarious.

I loved this show. Wayne's ability to sing about anything on cue and Ryan and Collin's wit were awesome. I don't think Drew was that good on this show, but everything else was great.

(I love 'scenes from a hat' and remember great lines like the category odd state welcome signs and Ryan said: "Welcome to Hawaii how'd you get here in a car?" classic!)

If the show were still on ABC today, it probably wouldn't succeed, but putting it on comedy central or another cable show at around 9 or 10 would definitely work.

Nick Cannon has a similar show on MTV called Wildin' Out, but anyone who has seen that show could tell you that it is pathetic when compared to WLIA. (The show even copies a bunch of the games from WLIA, but those performers have such little talent that it is just a joke)

I LOVE this show and love watching it every night on Family channel. My fave line up of the cast includes obviously the regulars of Wayne, Ryan, Colin. Then I crack up with Brad Sherwood, Greg Proops, and Chip Estes. Looking back on it now, I just cannot believe they (networks) let that one get away. There was certainly a market for good entertainment and you don't see much of that, it came somewhat close with that Wild N Out, but that was more for adult entertainment, where as Whose Line was more on the family friendly side. Thank heavens for syndication.

I still watch this show on the Internet, never gets old. The guys are geniuses. Wayne Brady is a true talent when it comes to Improve Singing. I think if they were to get the right people, it would work beautifully. I don't understand how no network has picked this show up yet. It would draw instant ratings because you never know what will be said next.

The only I could see as a problem is they've all mostly moved on, Ryan is on Two and a Half Men, but could easily do both I think. Drew Carey is doing The Price is Right but again, I don't think it'd be that hard to do both. As for Wayne, hes on Lets Make a Deal, but just like the others he could do both. And I know that Colin and Brad are doing Stars of Improve going around and basically doing Whose Line but for Just for Laughs shows and such.

So yes I think theres a place for good comedy on TV. If not on Comedy Network (Which is a surprise its not on there) or another Big American channel (NBC, ABC, Fox). I mean, if Hulk Hogan can still get air time in TNA then these guys should get some TV Time to actually Entertain us.

I loved this show during it's run on TV and I was a faithful follower, hell I still watch it every night on ABC Family. It airs at around midnight, and it's still entertaining. These guys were truly great improv comedians and it was one of those shows that comes around every once in a blue moon. Wayne Brady was always my favorite, and he was really funny. His bits on the Chappelle show are some of the most legendary bits around. I miss having new episodes of that show and I honestly think that if it had been in a different time slot that it would have made it for a few more years.

I used to love this show, although I did prefer the english version of it with Clive Anderson as the host, mainly because I saw that one first and that one had Tony Slattery on it, who used to do things like spit at Clive Anderson. What a truly great man. That being said, the English one wasnt anywhere near as good until John Sessions left (YAY!) and Colin Mochrie and Ryan Styles came into it.

My favourite line up also comes from the english version, even if it is mostly canadian and american, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Styles, Greg Proops and Tony Slattery. Mike McShane, Josie Lawrence and Brad Sherwood werent that bad either. Outside of that most people who made regular appearances were I thought pretty shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back