• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's the Foil I: The Rock

Who is the Rock's biggest rival?

• Stone Cold Steve Austin

• Triple H

• Mankind

• Hulk Hogan

• Chris Jericho

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know Stone Cold and The Rock feuded and had some great matches in their time, but for me it's gotta be Triple H, I can't understand how Austin is so far ahead in the poll!

The Rock and Triple H had one of the most, if not the most, outstanding, long and heated rivalries EVER! They had several matches together as mentioned particularly in the year 2000 and what awesome matches they were. For me, that rivalry goes down as the best in WWE history.

In order for me to decide who was the best foil for The Rock, I'd have to look at both consistency and talent (wrestling and non-wrestling moments). That being said, as far as consistency goes, three of the mentioned (Triple H, Stone Cold, Chris Jericho) were highest in frequency.

I've always thought that SCSA was only overrated when in overall comparison to The Rock. There was nothing that he could do that The Rock couldn't do as well or better. SCSA was never in my opinion "great" on the mic. I feel he was good at being direct and straight to the point...In other words, he was good at "being himself" on the mic. In the SCSA character, he in many ways is being himself and it shows when he doing unscripted interviews and is STILL very blatant, direct, and makes those comical southern-sayings.

Chris Jericho on the other hand is in character much of the time and can clearly top SCSA on the mic. He can also do everything SCSA can do in ring but with slightly less presence and excitement in-ring than a match involving SCSA or The Rock.

Triple H has always been a favorite of mine but to be completely fair, I've always felt like he's a few steps below The Rock and SCSA in delivery on the mic and excitement in the ring. Triple H is original in that he has these strange identity crisis. He'll change his personality while still within the Triple H character. It's sort of a badly written battle between being a brute and being an asshole. Sometimes, he thinks he's as badass SCSA and at other times he thinks he's Attitude Era jokester, Edge. And in either personality, he never quite sells it as well as those two.

Overall Stone Cold wins my vote simply because he has the frequency with The Rock, the talent, and for the exception of being great on the mic (being only "good" on the mic is no insult to him), he can do EVERYTHING else The Rock can do.

Like most people said Triple H is probably his biggest feud. They've been at it ever since The Rock was Rocky Maivia lol NOD vs. DX, etc.

Rock's biggest rivalry though is definitely Stone Cold...it was always the battle of the #1 guy between those two...

As far as feuds too I'll probably throw Kurt Angle in there...now that I think about it...it probably wasn't a long feud but they definitely had some memorable moments and fights.

Like most people said Triple H is probably his biggest feud. They've been at it ever since The Rock was Rocky Maivia lol NOD vs. DX, etc.

Rock's biggest rivalry though is definitely Stone Cold...it was always the battle of the #1 guy between those two...

As far as feuds too I'll probably throw Kurt Angle in there...now that I think about it...it probably wasn't a long feud but they definitely had some memorable moments and fights.

I'd replace kurt with jericho. Rock-Jericho fued was more personal, it was "The battle of the egos", and it started around late 2001-mid 2002. What made this fued great, was that, both guys are good on the mic and both of em has great chemestry in the ring with each other.

The 1st thing comes to my mind when I think about jericho-rock fued..

[YOUTUBE]1LGQwLkoi10[/YOUTUBE]
Classic

I'd replace kurt with jericho. Rock-Jericho fued was more personal, it was "The battle of the egos", and it started around late 2001-mid 2002. What made this fued great, was that, both guys are good on the mic and both of em has great chemestry in the ring with each other.

The 1st thing comes to my mind when I think about jericho-rock fued..

[YOUTUBE]1LGQwLkoi10[/YOUTUBE]
Classic

Yep definitely one of his better feuds. IMO I think the feud with Rock helped Jericho move mid card level.

Lol this is a good one too.

[YOUTUBE]eOXfbwMraxk[/YOUTUBE]

The answers here are SCSA and HHH for many of same reasons and different reason. Lets look at them.

SCSA:

He and Rock feuded over the IC title in the later part of 1997. Rocky challenged Austin for the belt because he didnt think he was worthy of it. They had their match at DX In Your House where Austin's truck was used as a weapon and created controversy, Sgt. Slaughter ordered SCSA to relinquish the belt over to Rock but instead Austin threw the belt into the river, Rock later threw Austin in the river, and they were the last two men standing in the 1998 Royal Rumble in which Austin won eliminating the Rock. Fast forward to 1999; the buildup to Mania 15. Austin is #1 contender to Rocks world title, Austin crushes the Rocks car in his monster truck and also drives out in the beer truck and sprays Rock and the McMahons. SCSA goes on to beat Rock for the strap at Mania. They have rematch at Backlash in which Austin wins and retains. Lets jump to 2001; Austin wins the 2001 rumble and faces the Rock at mania 17. The buildup was tremendous. McMahon had them tag with each other and also made Debra the Rock's manager. This leads to weeks of taking each others finisher, the locker room talk with both two and who ever interviewed them which was pretty heated; then you have the brawl they have on smackdown days before Mania where Austin is interviewed afterwards and is cursing up a storm on TV. Austin beats Rock at Mania 17 and turns heel with the help of Vinny Mac. They fight the next night on RAW in a cage match where the Two Man Power Trip is born and Rock is off TV for a few months. Lastly, you go to 2003 and the build up for Mania 19 match between the two. The premise was Rock was just back from Hollywood and said he only had one thing left to do and that was to beat SCSA at Mania in which he did that year.

HHH

They actually had a backstage feud before the Rock ever made it to TV. HHH as well as HBK used to haze the Rock in the locker room back ion 1996 when he worked dark matches. They also told him that he wasnt good enough to be a wrestler and would never be a star. This can all be referenced in Bret Hart's book. Ironically, Bret, SCSA, and Taker were three Rocky supporters at the time who believed he would be. Anyway, HHH and Rock basically started feuding with each other in 1998 while they both led their factions (DX,NOD). They would cost each other matches and make fun of each other by imitating them. This led to their IC title Ladder Match at Summerslam where HHH won. They both were a part of the corparation in 1999. HHH later beat Rock in #1 contender strap match. After HHH won the belt, he and rock fought in title matches where other wrestlers were involved. They had the buildup to Mania 16 that was pretty good until Foley and Big Show got threw in where HHH beat Rock after Vinny Mac turns on him. They basically feud over the title for the first 6-8 months of 2000 beating each other for the belt and dropping the belt to each other. During that time we see the return of the Undertaker and the emergence of Kurt Angle.

Stone Cold Steve Austin. At first it was Stone Cold vs The Corporation, then it was Stone Cold vs the Rock for the title, and then Stone Cold vs The Rock for superstar of the decade. The two biggest stars of the Attitude era and they never liked each other. They would always bring the best out of each other in all of their matches. Stone Cold vs The Rock is just like Sting vs the NWO it defined an era.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back