• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's the better heel: Jericho or Punk

DaBadGuy

Occasional Pre-Show
We all know that Jericho and Punk are not only the best heels on Smackdown but are 2 of the best heels in the WWE. Both can draw instant heat in just seconds and are really hated by the crowd but out of these 2 who do you think does it best right now. Jericho heel turn has been great since 2008, the weeks building up to his heel turn against HBK was great and you just was waiting for that day when Jericho would snap and assult the hell out of HBK. Jericho was very original in the beginning calling his fans hypocrites, tapeworms, sychophants, just about every word in the dictionary that discribes what he thinks of the fans, he was easliy the best heel in 2008 and mostly 2009. However in mid 2009 Punk made his heel in a fued with Jeff Hardy. Alot of us expecting Punk to get the type of heat he gets because it was against Jeff Hardy and their many kids who like him but as of now i must say Punk is impressing me as a heel. He gains good heel heat when he's on the mic just look at what he did at the Royal Rumble this year that was just classic it was probably the best thing about the Rumble. He made a stable and partnership with Festus, a horrible comic character, and turn it into one of the best angles in the last 5 yeas and has actually made Festus or Luke Gallows a serious competitor. And him growing out his beard and chest hair really shows he knows the psycology of apperance as he's seperating himself from the good guys, I can go on forever but I'll just stop right there. So does anyone think that Punk has finally surpassed Jericho as not only being the better heel on Smackdown but in the WWE period or do you still think that Jericho is the surpior heel of Smackdown and the WWE.

Personally, I find myself hating CM Punk. I despise everything him and the SES do, and love watching when it blows up in his face. In it's most basic form (heel meant to draw heat) CM Punk does draw heat more than Jericho from me, and probably quite a lot of people. But one of the main reasons for this is who he feuds with. Feuding against Rey Mysterio is always going to draw a lot of heat, and the same applies to Jeff Hardy.

Whereas I think Jericho draws heat not because of who he feuds with, but how he plays the heel character. I think he's one of the best characters I've seen. Jericho plays the bad guy so well, he pulls off a heel so well that instead of getting heat from me, I love everything he does and the way he does it.

In comparison, I'd say that Punk needs a certain face to pull a lot of heat. If Punk went into the ring with the SES and started wailing on say Yoshi Tatsu or Evan Bourne, he'd get heat, sure. But I think Jericho would get far more heat for doing the same thing. In other words, Jericho doesn't need a face to draw heat, because he plays the heel so well.

I'd say Punk was a better heel then Jericho as, to me, Jericho has become a bit of a tool with his use of the tapeworm crap and such. Don't get me wrong he is still a great heel, but could do with changing things up a bit as he's so much better then the crap he's writing for himself.
As for Punk, he works better for me because it's not a gimmick with him, he really is straight-edged. The fact that he can come across as sinister and demented on a PG show says a lot about him as a heel and, unlike the Jericho role, there's never been anything like Punk on a mainstream stage before.

Jericho, by far. Nothing against what Punk is doing, but how long can his gimmick really last? The whole SES is going to get stale, it isn't something you can sustain for years. What Chris Jericho does, however, is timeless. People have been hating that smug, smarter than you attitude that Jericho has since the beginning of time, and they will continue to hate it.

The problem with Punk, is only one of degree. Realistically speaking, Punk is more right than he is wrong. People really would be better off not drinking, not smoking, not doing drugs. Punk's heat comes from people refusing to acknowledge that what he is saying is true, because they don't want to admit it. Nobody wants someone else to tell them to quit doing this or that, even if deep down, they know they should. But, at its heart, Punk's message really isn't evil. It's being portrayed that way, but, in many ways, I agree with him. Punk is taking that message to the extreme, to make himself a heel, but in reality, the SES is just Right to Censor, part II. The SES will be short lived, Jericho's schtick won't.

I'd have to say Jericho, there's something about him that makes me just hate everything about him, his promos are very good and almost instantly draws heat no matter where he is, he is a very good in-ring performer, and now that Orton and Edge have turned face, Jericho is in my opinion the top heel of the WWE

I think Jericho is the superior heel of the two.

Simply because Jericho, he can get hate any way, yet he can still be absolutely loved in other places (remember how the Canadians cheer for this guy?) and while these two are absolutely great on the microphone, I've always, and I mean always loved Jericho's mic skills so much more, because he's very versatile in it, with the ability to talk smooth, talk slow, talk loud and talk angry, CM Punk lacks in the ability to talk proper angry if you ask me, Jericho's voice has that which CM Punk doesn't

On an other note, I think Jericho is superior in the ring when it comes to being a heel too, certainly it's not hard to cheat in the ring, but Jericho does it amazingly, and he's always loudmouth during it, as opposed to CM Punk, because the only time he's really proper loudmouth during a match is when he's holding a mic and ranting on the others.

So while I have massive love for Punk, Jericho is the superior heel.

At the moment? CM Punk. His gimmick and promos are the next evolution of Jericho's honest man gimmick. Of all time? Jericho hands down. Chris Jericho has the ability to get you to hate him for so many reasons. Remember when he warrived in the WWF? He was hated for interrupting a promo by The Rock. In 2001, he became hated because his ego grew out of winning the WCW Championship. The ego grew bigger and so did the hate. In 2003, he was hated for sharing his disgust for several wrestlers for several reasons. Those include, Goldberg, Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash & Steve Austin. In 2008, he 'nearly put into retirement' Shawn Michaels on the shelf and people hated it. On top of that he punched the mans wife AND still he won the World Title. People dispised Chris jericho for a number of reasons but always there's the annoyance that despite being dispised, this guy still won so many things. To the fans, that was an injustice and they hated him even more for it. Chris Jericho knows how to play the fans and he gets it right, every, single, time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back