Who was the best "Promotion Jump"

TheCureAndrewHeller

Dark Match Winner
In your opinion, who do you think was the best promotion jump (Going from wwe to wcw, wcw to wwe, etc.) I would say it was the whole scott hall and kevin nash from wwe to wcw just because the storyline with them was great and no one expected it at that time

I great has the Hall and Nash jump was, i actually like when Raven went to TNA. Mainly because i was un-expected since nobody even knew that the Raven left the WWE at the time. Also the was the fact that Raven wrestle on Raw 2 days before going to TNA so that was one of the best jump ever.

There are 3 that stick in my mind:

1. - Lex Luger's jump from WWE to WCW. That was brilliant. He appeared on both RAW and Nitro in the same evening, if I'm not mistaken. His signing with WCW was kept completely quiet so it was a shock when he appeared on Nitro. He might not have been the biggest name that jumped ship around that time, but his jump was the most shock because Bischoff managed to keep it quiet.

2. - Sandman's return to ECW from WCW. This was one of the biggest pops I've ever heard. The 1,000 people in the ECW arena sounded more like 10,000 when Sandman came out. Again, it was not expected which is what made it so great.

3. - Raven's return to ECW from WCW. Again, huge pop from the crowd. Raven's return came on the night the Dudley's left so this jump helped to soften a huge blow to the company. Raven came in and joined with Tommy Dreamer to win the tag titles, thus continuing one of the best fueds of the
90's.

No one expected Kurt Angle to jump to TNA last year, there was talk of him going into MMA so I'd say thats the one thats shocked me the most!!

i would say steve austin going from wcw to wwe and eventually winning the 96 king of the ring and from there becoming the biggest superstar ever is the best promotion jump of all time. mick foley also comes to mind (coming to wwe from wcw).

after that, its probably hogan to wcw just for the huge impact it made on the industry. turning him heel was incredible, which of course led to hall and nash coming and forming nwo with him. that just basically put wcw on top for a while.

also, if this counts, i would say RVD coming to WWE from ecw (if i remember correctly, it was before ecw folded but i think he was a free agent anyway). just for the coolness factor lol.

honorable mentions: benoit, guerrero, and y2J coming to wwe from wcw (altho it was near the demise of wcw)

No one expected Kurt Angle to jump to TNA last year, there was talk of him going into MMA so I'd say thats the one thats shocked me the most!!

yea...but he was already like the greatest wrestler ever in wwe, tna (so far) hasnt changed too much after acquiring angle altho its debatable. kurt angle himself also isnt considered any better after joining TNA but yea, it was definitely one of the biggest shockers. it could turn out that it was a huge acquisition whos effects may be seen in years to come.

I say that Hulk Hogan signing with WCW, and while it may not have been much of a shock, it probably drew alot of people to watch. As for Lex Luger, that probably screwed his career when he signed with WCW when he was supposed to sign with WWE (then stabbed them in the back).

clearly it was Y2J. although everyone knew he was coming, the idea of a countdown for multiple weeks was great. when the rock was in the ring and the clock showed 10 seconds it was pandamonium.

Y2J and the build up that was around that was amazing. This was the problem with WCW, they did shit for building a guy that was jumping up. The guy would just randomly show up in an NWO shirt. It was cool, but then after a dozen or so times, it lost its effectiveness.

The Y2J build up was awesome. We all knew Jericho's contract had run up, but we didn't know exactly when. The pop Jericho got when he came out was insane, and it was truly one of my favorite Raw moments ever. That being said, the rest is history. WCW royally fucked up with Jericho, Jericho makes an immediate impact which leads too...

The Radicalz. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn. This was it right here guys. This was the death nail put into WCW. These guys saw the success that Jericho was given in the WWF, and all were unhappy in WCW. The four jumped simultaneously, effectively killing the WCW mid card. I know for me, sure, Hogan headlined, but the reason to watch WCW pay per views were the lower and mid card matches, and these guys carried the bulk of that load for the previous five years.

Jerichos build up was the best, but as far as impact, the Radicalz jumping was by far the biggest. It killed a company, and solidified the WWE's talent for the next 5 years.

I agree 100% with Shockmaster. Jericho going to WWE after such a layoff, building the expectation, the millenium clock countdown, and interrupting The Rock of all people!

No less, smack dab in the middle of the Monday Night Wars. Great stuff. Jericho to WWE was a moment to remember and a huge blow to WCW.

I'm gonna have to vote for Jericho to WWE. My inner wrestling dork still gets chills when remembering the clock counting down 10 seconds. Those good old Monday night pissing contests...I miss it. Everything was so intense.

-The best jump was Hall and Nash because it was such a shock, so much so that WWE tried replacing their characters on the show to make fans think they were still there.

-The most effective jump was The Radicalz. Like it was mentioned their jump effectively killed WCW.

-My favorite jump was The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla, The King of Bling-Bling, One Bad Jamma, The Human Highlight Reel, The Highlight of the Night, The King of the World, The Living Legend, Y2J Chris Jericho. Like everyone else has said, the build up to his coming to WWE was done so incredibly well. I really hope he does sign with WWE again, because his pressence is truly missed, at least by me and his fans around the world.

When i think of the best promotion several come to my mind. Chris Jericho to the WWE. The Sandman to ECW from WCW, and the Radicalz from WCW to the WWE.

Chris Jericho~ we all knew he was coming but it was basically when?the countdown with Chris Jericho was phenomenal and when the ten second thing came up and interrupted the Rock of all people, that was so entertaining, and exciting.:headbanger:

The Sandman~ when he returned to ECW it was the loudest 1000 person pop i have ever heard, this move was not expected which made it great.

The Radicalz~I am gonna agree with shock, They seen the success that Jericho was having and jump ship, This was then the nail in the coffin because they stole all of wcw mid card talent. I was at the wrestling event when they debut in Pittsburgh at ring side and attacked the new age outlawz, i was shocked because i knew what this meant to wcw. therefore this was one of the best promotion jumps because it mad an impact and maybe a large impact.

I think that Jericho's was the best jump but the Radicalz was the biggest because i it gave the wwe great mid card talent for several years.

While I can't subject myself to just lay claim on any one "great" jump, I'll name a few.

Scott Hall & Kevin Nash to W.C.W.: The beginning of the ratings war came with Scott Hall entering through the crowd & proclaiming a war. It thrived when Kevin Nash joined, & it'll forever be remembered as one of, if not possibly the, best jump of all time.

Kurt Angle to T.N.A.: Basically the latest shock-wave sent through the wrestling world. Rumors had circulated (sp?) that Angle wasn't at 100% & his health was a huge issue, thus the W.W.E. allowed Angle to get outta his contract. A mere month or so later, he shocks the world by joining T.N.A. & driving a huge blow into W.W.E.'s gut.

E.C.W. Wrestlers to W.W.E.: I understand E.C.W. went under & it was foreseeable that some came to W.W.E., but when Paul Heyman suddenly replaced Jerry Lawler, then shortly after Rhyno & Spike Dudley showed up on Raw in the same night. It was unbelieveably amazing. Same goes for R.V.D. & Tommy Dreamer with the Invasion angle, sure it may of been a matter of time.. but noone knew when.

Radical Movement: By far, the best group jump has to go to Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn & Eddie Guerrero. As its been said before, this was the nail in the coffin that killed W.C.W. To lose any ONE of these guys is huge, but to have them leave together, then debut together was deadly.

Raw is Jericho: I didn't live in the internet world of rumors then, so this was a huge shock to me. Jericho wasn't exactly Main Event material in W.C.W., but was definately a huge talent to lose.

Bret "Hitman" Hart: Again, sure it was foreseeable to some. But to those without the internet to fall on, noone knew Bret was leaving the company. So for him to debut on Nitro, it was huge!

scott hall coming to smack down followed by nash because that started the nwo and changed the pro wrestling as we knew there wouldnt have been that attitude era (which was gay) but i loved the nwo era

I gotta say my favourite jump was when ECW realligned themselves in a WWE ring/paycheck. That was one of the two times I almost shit my pants watching wrestling...I won't mention the other time because it has to do with the Ultimate Warrior and to my defense I was recently gaining confidence in walking around without huggies.

But yeah when all the ECW guys turned around on Kane and someone else I forget who it was now, then Dreamer and RVD jumping the rail simultaneously was huge. Of course the WWE went on to fuck themselves over and burry the ECW to give a handjob to their own Ego only to years later/now revamp "ECW" is just...its just like the WWE i guess. They're fucks. They're literally raping the corpse of Paul Heymans manifestation. Although I've been going on and on solidfying my place as an ECW mark, you gotta love the fact that when the Sandman recently came down to ringside on RAW, maw'fuckas were still cheering "E-C-Dub"...kinda puts the WWE's recreation in perspective.

The Kurt Angle jump shocked me most. I really liked the Jericho build up and that is one promotion change I really liked as far as build up. Unfortunatley, I really only liked the build-up because once it actually happened he was verbally humiliated by The Rock. Rock basically treated him like a nobody and definatley got the better of the verbal exchange. That kind of killed it for me.

Therefore, i like angle's more, for his debut on impact he went right after the big dog and took him down.(Samoa Joe)

Whilst we all have our own favourite moments of wrestlers jumping ship I think there can be no doubt as to who's promotion jumps had the most impact. I don't like the guy but the reality is that man is the immortal Hulk Hogan.

First VKM paid him to no show his AWA commitments and jump to the WWF, which along with the creation of Wrestlemania started the boom period of wresting in the '80s when a lot of us started watching as kids.

Then when he jumped to WCW he gained them a lot of attention and although their success was not immediate, his allignment with The Outsiders at Bash at the Beach '96 really pushed that angle over the edge and started the NWO era and the Monday Night Wars that WCW would win for 83 consecutive weeks and force the WWF to respond in kind with the Attitude era which was the second boom period of wrestling.

Whilst most smarks will pretend that they have never enjoyed watching the Hulkster, the reality is that if only for a short while he brought success to every company that he ever jumped to.

im gonna still stick by my choice of Steve Austin. if he never came to wwe and eventually become Stone cold, wwe would probably not have even won the monday night wars.

also, lol @ WhatCripplesTheLegend?: "I won't mention the other time because it has to do with the Ultimate Warrior and to my defense I was recently gaining confidence in walking around without huggies."

Chris Jericho for defo because when in WCW he was not exactly main event material but he got this huge build up and became main event on RAW.

Then id say the Radicals because for WCW to lose such talent all at the same time and it wasnt even like it was nobodys these men has all been champions in WCW.

Hogan in WCW was just crap so what they won ratings for about 90 weeks thats crap id rather see Austin, Shawn Michaels and DX run rampant on RAW than see has beens like Hogan and Nash, who cares if jeff jaret or Sting were on WCW i dont care.

WCW was great for Cruiserweight thats it every man that "jumped" to WCW was forced to like Bret Hart or Nash and Hall.

Hogan hogan hogan so what he was great in the 80s then people got fed up of him, look who won it was the WWF they crushed WCW and dont give e crap about Weeks of ratings WWF crushed WCW and even tho WWF still got good ratings even if WCW beat them at ratings.

Personally I would rank the first best promotion jump is Hulk Hogan from WWF to WCW. I mean he was the biggest name in wrestling in the 80s and of course the biggest draw while he was "tearing up" in the WWF. He left the company that he's been build around and jump ship to WCW.

Then I rate second I would say Scott Hall and Kevin from WWF to WCW. They were lot of promotion jumps especially shock ones like for instance as I mention above I think it was a shock that Hall show up in WCW. I remember when I was watching Nitro and keep in mind I don't have the internet at the time. That Hall show up from the crowed and I was marking out. I would say it be a shock with Hogan jump if you think about it as I already explained above and thought he'll never jumpship and finished his career in the WWF(Even though he kinda did :suspic:)

Kurt Angle as someone mention is a good one which was the latest one. From WWE to TNA never thought he'll joined TNA we all know he was "fired", "release" or whatever exactly happen with him and the WWE. Never thought he'll joined TNA well maybe to me it is and maybe to some others as well.

Definatley Chris Jericho, I was already a Jerichoholic when he was in WCW bu when he showed up on RAW i couldn't contain myself. I still get chills when i watch it on you tube.

Also im Shocked that noone has mentioned when Rick Rude joined the NWO, he was on a WWF pay per view the night before and then on Nitro the next night i was FLABBERGASTED when he come walking out with that briefcase! One of the best Wrestling moments ever.

Another notable promotion jump that I'll only mention quickly would have to be that of Jim Ross himself, that barbeque slingin son of a gun.

He used to be a colour commentator for WCW in the early nineties whilst on TBS. I'm also pretty sure he had a management position as well like lead booker or some shit I can't guarantee this so leave that up to speculation. Nevertheless he had an active role in the company.

So he left and evidently wound up commentating for Vincent K. In turn he brought with him Johnny B. Badd aka Marc Mero, he brought with him Vader, he brought with him the first black world heavyweight champion Mr. Ron Simmons, he brought "Flying" Brian Pillman, Cactus Jack aka Mick Foley and also one "Stunning" Steve Austin. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at this juncture but nonetheless pretty significant.

My personal favorite was when jeff jarret went to wcw after wrestling at the wwe ppv the night before and he someone with a guittar.

Well the one that shocked me most was when Ric Flair appeared on WWF programming WITH the WCW/NWA World Title. That was HUGE. No one thought we would ever get a chance to see Ric Flair versus any of the boys from the WWF but low and behold there he was.

It's still one of the cooler moments in wrestling history to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back