Who wants a Re-Do?

BooCocky

On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan
I was looking back at the 2004 NFL draft and it dawned on me that several teams made a blunder or two and passed up on some big name players. I thought of this concept, that every so often, I will give you a draft class and you re do it.

I am starting with the 2004 NFL draft. And I am only going to re-do the first fifteen picks. If this gets traffic, I might expand.

San Diego Charges selected Eli Manning with the first pick, who was later traded away to the Giants. With this pick I would have taken Larry Fitzgerald. He was the best receiver in this draft. Brees was finally coming into a zone, and with Fitzgerald this could have been a great QB to WR tandem for years to come.

Oakland Raiders selected Robert Gallery. Gallery never lived up to the hype but he is still a serviceable lineman in the NFL. But I would have taken Phillip Rivers. Gannon was old, and you can't win with Collins. Team was getting old and the best place to build a team is with a good young QB.

The Arizona Cardinals drafted star wideout Larry Fitzgerald. In this situation with Larry already off the board I would have gone with Ben Roethlisberger. Leading up to the draft the top 3 QB's drafted were up for grabs. I do believe Ben is better than Eli Manning, so I went with Ben here. Arizona had Blake who was 33 at the time and McCown at the time.

Giants selected Rivers, who was eventually traded later. I would have taken Eli Manning here. They needed a QB. best one available. No brainer.

Redskins took Sean Taylor. I would have stuck with Taylor. He was a star safety.

Browns took Kellen Winslow. I would have stayed with Winslow, he is a good tight end, and was supposed to help put Cleveland. He was still the second best receiver in this draft.

Lions selected Roy Williams. I would have gone with Mark Clayton. He's proven to be better than Williams, and Williams was never there physically and mentally.

Atlanta selected Deangelo Hall. I would have taken Dunta Robinson.I always thought Dunta was the better CB, and he would have made more of an impact than Hall did. Also, Halls special team skills were overrated, and so was his speed. Robinson would have meshed well, and more than likely would have been a better long term investment.

Jacksonville drafted Reggie Williams. I would have gone with Roy Williams. Reggie was overrated and was a stretch.

Houston drafted Dunta Robinson. In this situation with Dunta off the board, I would have gone with Robert Gallery. Carr never had anyone to protect him. Now this is his chance....

6 time superbowl champs drafted Ben Roethlisberger. With Ben off the board, along with the two other QB's, I would have addressed the runningback situation, and I would have drafted Steven Jackson. It would have been a little far fetched, but Jerome was getting old, and Amos wasn't an every down back. Also this is before the emergence of Parke, so RB is what I would have taken.

12-14 would have stayed the same.

The Bucs drafted Mark Clayton, but he was already off the board, so I would have gone with D.J williams. The Bucs needed help at linebacker, especially an outside linebacker. Williams would have been a perfect fit.

now your turn, and please give reasons...

Edit: Also, I do not have a problem, you can change any part of the draft you want. You can change the whole entire draft, the first five picks, I do not care. Just change something and give a reason.

The Pats had two 1st round picks in 2004. The first we used on Vince Wilfork a Pro Bowl DT one of the best in the league. The second we used on Ben Watson. Watson is a playmaking TE but Bob Sanders was taken in the second round and he is one of the leagues best Safeties. With Rodney getting old looking back I'd rather have Sanders than Watson.

The Cowboys traded their first round pick to the Bills that year for another second round pick. Well we had 2 second round picks that year as we picked Julius Jones who well is a shit running back as he can't really do a damn thing & we picked Offensive Tackle Jacob Rogers with the other second round pick who couldn't even stay off the damn injured list. Now in reality Bob Sanders went to the Colts with the pick after Julius, but I would have picked him with our first second round pick cause we needed a replacement for Darren Woodson as he was forced to retire due to an injury & he & Roy Williams at that time would have been a bad ass duo at Safety.

Now with our second second round pick, I would have picked Greg Jones cause we could have either left him at running back which we badly needed at that time or we could have moved him to fullback which we also badly needed. I believe he would probably have been at least a productive fullback had he have been drafted by the Cowboys cause he can run, catch & block & that's rare for a fullback to have all three of those abilities as the Fullback position in today's NFL is nearly phased out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back