• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the greatest sports team ever

Fratelli

Pre-Show Stalwart
technically, by trophys won, it is the almighty glasgow rangers! who are the only club to won over 100 trophys.

but some say they won it in a micky mouse league and wouldnt hack it in the prem.

thats ridiculous because if we were in the prem we would have waaaaaayyyyyy more money to spend on players.

anyways who do you think is the greatest sports team ever?

I think that the answer to that question boils down to two teams.

First, in Manchester United. They are truly the crown jewel of EPL. They dominate the premiership, finishing in the top four every year, and doing a great job in Champions League.

Next, the only other contender is the New York Yankees. 27 Championships, 30+ AL Pennants. More Hall Of Famers, All-Stars, and wins than anyone else.

What do these teams have in common? More money to spend on players than anyone else.

I hate the Yankees. I just felt the need to give them their due.

And the Redskins....? Come on....

The best football franchise of all time is the Steelers. And Becker chill out, I don't really like them either.

Manchester United's greatest season was acheived using players they brought up through their own youth systems.

So that's the money argument thrown out. Fact is that Chelsea and Man City don't have the success despite the money.

Manchester United's greatest season was acheived using players they brought up through their own youth systems.

So that's the money argument thrown out. Fact is that Chelsea and Man City don't have the success despite the money.

You know better than I do, so I'll agree. But Christiano Ronaldo couldn't have some cheap, and after some time, it takes money to keep those hole grown talents.

So, I will agree that Man U. develops their own guys, but they've got the money to keep them too.

I'm going to throw this out there, but I think you have to consider the Boston Celtics in that group as well. 17 NBA championships is nothing to laugh at, especially when they won 16 of those titles in a 29 year span. Just think about that for a second, they won over half the championships in a near three decade span. And of course they added #17 last year.

First, in Manchester United. They are truly the crown jewel of EPL. They dominate the premiership, finishing in the top four every year, and doing a great job in Champions League.

That can be said about Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal too.

It is impossible to answer this question. Does one superbowl equal one Champions League triumph? Does a world series equal an Ashes series victory? As has been said does a scottish title mean as much as a title in another country? It is unanswerable.

That being said.... the answers Real Madrid. Yep, they suck now, but 9 european cups speaks for itself.

But Christiano Ronaldo couldn't have some cheap, and after some time, it takes money to keep those hole grown talents.

At £12 million he is seen as a bargain buy. However, with the amount spent on his wages since he is pretty expensive I agree.

Also, congratulations for discussing the sports from another country. APart from you it is pretty much turning into one discussion from Britain and one from the US.

I love soccer. I watch EPL and Champions whenever I can. I even enjoy MLS. If you get a chance, watch an MLS game or two. The quality of play has improved dramatically over the last few years.

This year, my goal is to get to know some Aussie Football, and at some point I hope to understand cricket.

I've seen MLS a couple of times, I'll watch any football really. I'll admit not watching since Beckham joined though, I get sick of the media love in with the guy, so i won't have seen the improved standard in play. Although, the US team have impressed me in world cups when I've seen them. No offence, but I expect to see a crap team that will get turned over with ease, but some of their performances have been eye catching, especially the famous 3-2 against Portugal.

Too bad we don't have a possible upcoming tournament to discuss these issues that plague my ever day existence.....

hey

L-I-V...E-R-P... Top of the World Liverpool FC. Seriously, Man Utd's dominance last decade has nothing on Liverpool in the 70s and 80s. Best English football team ever. Man Utd have won fewer leagues, fewer European cups, fewer league cups, pretty much everything but FA Cups.

What we've won pales into insignificance against Real Madrid though, so I'd go with them for football probably.

Cricket and rugby only have noteworthy nations, not clubs really, and I'd go with Australia and New Zealand respectively.

For American sports I can do nothing but look at the title histories. Montreal Canadiens seem to have Hockey sewed up, and the same can be said for the Yankees in baseball, American football and Basketball are closer, but I'd probably (and quite ignorantly) say the Celtics in NBA.

You could then say that Ferrari have dominated Formula 1 for large parts of the past 50 years.

The best of all though? The USA summer olympics team. They have 3 times the gold medals of anybody else, and have won just about every games since the earely 1900s apart from the one in Moscow.Not a team in the traditional sense, but the most dominant collective ever certainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back