Who does it Better?

ASKane

Championship Contender
For months I have seen Rusev use one of my most disliked submission moves, the camel clutch, it looked weak and easy to escape and didn't look like a move that should get people to submit. But then on Raw Summer Rae used it and looked like she was about to snap Lana in half, it looked much more dangerous and painful, this may be due to Lana being more flexible than the men Rusev puts in the Accolade but for the first time I actually thought the move had potential.

So I am interested to know who you think does it better Summer Rae, Rusev or any other previous users as well as your general opinion on the move.

Summer Rae killed it, she looked like she was going to rip Lanas head off - Rusev looks like Scott Steiner used to, like he's just setting there waiting on the person to tap (accept when he faced Cena/Swagger he really cranked on it good then)

Lana and Summer Rae both have extremely flexible bodies. Summer Rae was a fitness model, amongst other things, before signing with WWE and Lana was a ballet dancer for a number of years. As a result, neither of them would have any problem performing or taking the move due to great flexibility.

The Camel Clutch is most definitely one of those moves that could easily injure someone if they don't have the flexibility to....well flex with the move as they're being pulled back and women, as a whole, seem to have an upper hand in flexibility.

Is this a serious question? Rusev does it better. He made John Cena pass out with the hold (kayfabe). That's pretty impressive. Summer Rae has only used the move one time.

Summer really took advantage of Lana's flexibility and it really looked vicious. I liked it . But Rusev is a biscuit or two shy of 300 pounds, that makes a pretty big difference. Can you imagine if WWE let Rusev reef on Ambrose like that ? He'd be breaking backs left and right.

Who does the Sharpshooter better? Sting, Bret Hart, or Natalya?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UWsKcv288vE

Like some follow up replies suggest, it's a different divisions and different body types. Lana and Summer Rae were correct in taking advantage of their flexibility, and by asking the question, the OP (with respect) is incorrect in comparing them.

Because, while we're at it, let's ask these follow ups;

-Who does a better hurricanrana; Rey Mysterious Jr or John Cena?
-a better Powerbomb; Kevin Nash or Christian?
-a better bearhug; Beth Phoenix or Brock Lesnar?

We're asking unfair questions here, because the same move in a different division means something different. If I'm to answer the original question, I would say that the women's division has a better claim to the camel clutch than the men's division. Rusev has a fair claim to the move, but it looked more impressive by ridiculously flexible ladies.

It looked impressive because of the way Lana's back was bent.

I guess I'd have to see Summer do the move more to pick who does it better, because a one off doesn't really do much to compare.

Let's see Summer do it on someone like Tamina and see how it looks.

The problem with most submission holds is that, if applied correctly, they do actually hurt (probably the most painful being the figure 4 leg lock, in my opinion - the joys of two brothers growing up wrestling fans... Don't try this at home, kids!) and there is a fine line between making them look convincing whilst not hurting the opponent, and actually applying them correctly.

I guess this is why only very few people in WWE have taken Chris Jericho's Lion Tamer (Daniel Bryan, Kofi Kingston, Adrian Neville, CM Punk are four that spring to mind but not many others) and he replaced it with the much less painful looking Walls of Jericho. In line with comments above, note the four names listed are all smaller wrestlers, where Stone Cold, Triple H, the Rock etc are larger body types, presumably taking a Lion Tamer would have been too risky for them?

Bret Hart managed to sell the Sharpshooter as a convincing finisher (as did his opponents) without having to apply too much pressure, in the same vein as Rusev with his camel clutch. Despite having shown us that he COULD make it look genuinely excruciating (his SS on Mr Perfect at Summerslam '91 is one of the most painful looking moves I've seen in WWE - remember that, despite what wrestling tries to tell us, the Sharpshooter does more damage to the lower back than the legs), Hart successfully used a less-pressure version for almost the entire remainder of his career without complaint.

Obviously there are some moves that just look terrible - Cena's STF most of the time (only because, logically, the opponent could easily slide Cena's arms over their head due to the obvious lack of pressure), and I'll never understand why, logically, a person applying an ankle lock doesn't sit or kneel like Ken Shamrock used to do, but generally speaking, most submission moves are fine as they are.

That said, all this talk about Lana and Summer Rae's flexibility - damn I need to check out Raw!

Summer Rae killed it, she looked like she was going to rip Lanas head off - Rusev looks like Scott Steiner used to, like he's just setting there waiting on the person to tap

Well, sure. Lana and Summer Rae aren't endowed with the body mass of Rusev or musculature of John Cena; especially with their dance training, they're apt to show more flexibility while applying or receiving a camel clutch.

Of course, the guys have their own physical advantages and the way they apply the hold, it looks more constricting and harder to break while the gals version might look more painful.

So, it's hard to define who does it 'better.'

The question here really should be "who sells the move better?" We are, of course, remembering that this is scripted television involving actors who coordinate their actions.

For instance, it might be fair to ask who has a better kimura, little Noguiera or Fabrico Werdum. You could probably start a good discussion over who has the best superkick, since that move is almost entirely incumbent on the performer making the move.

Submission maneuvers rely almost entirely on the person taking the move to sell it. Alberto El Patron's armbar would look fake as shit (more than it does) if his co-performer wasn't selling the move as if his arm was breaking. In this case, huge props to Lana for making that camel clutch look absolutely devastating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back