• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Breaks Through at Wrestlemania 25?

Who can be THE breakout star at WM 25?

• Shelton Benjamin

• MVP

• Matt Hardy

• Miz & Morrison

• Carliton & Primo

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
who else though taker wasnt gonna get up from that death drop over the top rope to face, thank god random camera man was there to take the blunt of the botch. not complaning in any way tho,the match was amazing.

Biggest breakout star tonight...Hell, my vote goes for Shawn Michaels, Undertaker or Ricky Steamboat. They are the only men whose stock actually went up after tonight. Undertaker/Michaels was an unreal good match and you could have made it a 1 on 1 match with Jericho and Steamboat and it would have been a classic the way he was wrestling.

Positives

HBK vs. Undertaker. Incredible. (Not a suprise.)

Agreed

Unified Tag Titles. (Hopefully. Although they didn't show it.)
[/QUOTE]

Key phrase is, "Didn't show it" Kinda devalues what is suppose to be the top prize in tag team wrestling.

Jericho not jobbing to the two snoozes and Steamboat.
[/QUOTE]

No its better to have Jericho job to an actor

CM Punk winning MITB...It may seem peculiar, but the WWE needs
permanently new main eventers, and winning MITB twice in a row is cementing his status as a mainstay in the main scene.
[/QUOTE]
They gave Punk the title last year. Didn't work out too well. I am not against Punk winning MITB considering how weak the field was to begin with

Matt Hardy winning clean. (Clean for a hardcore match...)
[/QUOTE]

Should have never broke up the Hardy's anyways

Was that really the ending of the PPV??? It felt like the end of RAW...
[/QUOTE]

Would compare it to the last episode of the Sopranos. I was left with the question, what just happened here?

Bumping the Tag Titles match off the show.
[/QUOTE]

Makes no sense whatsoever

Triple Threat Heavyweight Title match.[/QUOTE]

The Big Show/Edge/Vickie love saga was just stupid

maybe the wwe, rather than putting someone over for the future, culminated at wm. taker/hbk epic match, careers though all but over. they should have Cena on Raw leading the younger talent. and triple h and friends who aare over 35 on smackdown. jericho to smackdown, hardy to raw. jbl quits. maybe they are about to clear house.

I love the wrong spelling of 'you're' in a comment to calling somebody ******ed. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

Meanwhile. MITB was great, could have been better if Punk had not won. Now wait, I LOVE Punk, but his last reign left a little something to be desired, and hopefully the wwe doesn't F*** it up this time around, but seeing three men (mvp, benjamin and christian) who deserve to win more, lose, just pissed me off. Kofi was the best part of that match though.

No doubt best match was Taker and Michaels, no explanation necessary.

Also, an above poster commented on the end, where it was more likely to be the end of a Raw....I said the EXACT same thing once Orton went down for the three. I wasn't pissed because my guy lost, I was pissed because this was the perfect opportunity for Orton to take the torch and run, and HHH pulled a Michaels/Hogan and didn't job. In 10 years, it is more likely to see Orton with the belt than seeing HHH wrestle at all, so it'd be nice if they help the future of the company look a little stronger than jobbing with no interference and an anticlimactic finish on the final match of WM25.

WM will probably be the best PPV of the year (most likely because of Taker and Michaels) but it will be far from the best WM ever by a long long long long shot.

This had to be the worst wrestlemania of all time, other than the hbk taker match which was just amazing... as expected.

MITB match... i had high hopes for this match... i thought christian shelton or mvp would win, i really wanted mvp to win.... but then cm punk wins again? are u kidding me? this match was also too short and didnt have much from anyone besides shelton, shelton and uh shelton... as usual... kofi had some spots, cm punk botched the unprettier... every money in the bank every wrestler in the match gets their "15 min of fame" but that was not the case, MVP didnt get to shine, finlay did nothing, christian got a botched special thanks to cm chump, didnt really expect anything from henry, kane got nothing... this match should have gotten more time... this had to be the 2nd biggest disappointment of the night... think we all noe wat the #1 was, we'll get to that later.

Then 10-15 minutes of kid rock???????? wtf????? the time used for his boring performance could of gone to makin the mitb match longer or the tag match... i was really disappointed this match was not on the live ppv... was really looking forward to it bcuz carlito and morrison have the potential to be great, and miz and primo are good workers...

the divas match was ehh... i knew santino was gonna win after his mankini thing on raw lol priceless... pretty pointless except for a laugh... u cant really crown a miss wrestlemania other than moolah or trish and neither were in the match...

seeing ricky steamboat on raw over the past few weeks i could tell he was in shape n he was going to be the key to makin this match good ... and he was. i dont noe y they put snuka in there poor guy... piper did ok...Steamboat is better than some wrestlers on the roster even at his age **cough khali cough** the ending made flair look pathetic and mickey rourke????? that guy looks like a jackass... he looked like he did not want to be there and looked as if he thought he was better than everyone else... jericho shouldve flipped the script and codebreaker'd his ass...

brother vs brother: this match was stellar... they both took some hard bumps in the match... kinda figured matt would win and i guess u could say he deserved it, that twist of fate was sick... good match from both these guys... there going to be feeling it in the morning but they put on a hell of a match, if it wasnt for the next match this wouldve prolly been the match of the night

HBK VS TAKER: NUFF SAID (this match saved the ppv from disaster)

World title: i wasn't really expecting much from this match... kinda figured cena would win when he made his grand entrance... it was an ok match but cena champ again???? come on ... cena's act has gone dry... i really liked him as the thuganomics word life character... i hope they go back to that with him because ...

Austin came out for his goodbye... got a well deserved reaction from the audience... one of the lone bright spots of the night... i think austin riding away kind of foreshadowed the future of the wwe... him leaving is the end ... its all going down from here ... wwe really needs a savior (orton, kennedy, mvp) ????? anyone...

Biggest disappointment of the night aka wwe title match... after all the build and hype for orton and to have him lose????? this wouldve cemented him as a main eventer for the rest of his career... i know he's gonna get the title eventually (backlash) but tonight was the night that wouldve catapulted him... vince or the creative team dont noe wat they're doing... i can only hope wwe figures it out because after tonight it is going to lose a lot more of its fans... and vince gets angry over low ratings... he aint seen nothin yet if this creative trend continues...

let me know wat u think ppl bcuz by the looks of it i aint the only unhappy camper lol

Okay, was it just me or was the crowd completely out of the show?

Nobody really had a favorite in the World Title Match so Cena's win was just sort of 1/3 of the crowd liking it and 2/3 not really caring anymore.

Taker vs Michaels was awesome but boy oh boy did that bump taker took look gross. Plus his chest at the end looked like it had been burned by acid.

Steamboat vs Jericho should have been the match here with the Hall of Famers in his corner. Outstanding showing and even though the heel won, it was still a great WM moment in a lot of fans eyes. I'm sure Jericho was happy with it.

Tag Titles getting moved was a mistake but I guess I'll live if it's on the DVD. Still, they advertised it so they should have showed it.

haha, JBL, that was funny

MITB was good, I've read that not as many people here liked it but I'll say this, god dammit are Shelton Benjamin and Kofi Kingston awesome. There is a great tag team if they ever decide to do that. Or the most athletically gifted 1 on 1 match the WWE has right now. Pull the trigger on these guys!!!! As for the match...it was a little rough around the edges but the big picture was pretty good. Big props to MVP for making up for the botched powerbomb and taking that bomb to the outside like a man.

WWE Title match was lame. Triple H would have wrestled that match in front of 72,744 or 15 people. Nothing new and the crowd just stopped getting into it. Orton lights up the ring when it comes to him being on RAW, but Triple H just wrestles the same match. Never anything new, never anything risky, never any special spots. Just generic boring stuff. I did not like Triple H retaining. It was not the right thing to do for business. Orton is the biggest guy they have now and they spent all that time building him up from the rumble to everything else...just to have him lose ONCE AGAIN to Triple H. I think I'm with 90% of the wrestling audience when I call shenanigans on that one.

Kid Rock was stupid. Nobody cared.

Santina...god I wish they'd cut that shit out already and go back to Santino harassing Jerry Lawler about the Sub-Way sandwiches. He made product placement in wrestling work, dammit! He's so silly...yet now one needs to wonder...he's been with Maria and Beth Phoenix...but is he one of Patterson's' boys?

The Hall of Fame thing was cool with Austin because WrestleMania 17 was at the Reliant Astodome and you have to admit, that card from top to bottom is the best WrestleMania in history. I had flashbacks to the WWE Title Match that night when the crowd was RABID for Austin to win. And they did that stupid heel turn but the ending with the chair was still awesome. So this was pretty cool to have Austin come out and say goodbye.

Matt and Jeff definitely delivered. I remember when they fought in 02 or 03 and it wasn't the best they could have done. Glad to see Matt get a win at Mania but Jeff is long overdue and starting to lose steam from constantly losing!!! WAKE UP VINCE!!! JEFF IS CATCHING ON!!!

Overall in terms of WrestleMania grading I give this one a B-. I wasn't overly thrilled with anything except Steamboat/Jericho and Taker/Michaels. Hardy's and MITB were also good but I think the one weak link here were the title matches. Not that the World Title Match was bad...the build up was silly and I don't think, considering the World Title's 08 year reflects that match. Jericho vs Punk would have been SOOO much better. I feel like this wasn't what most fans wanted to see for the title. As for the WWE Title match...it was a Backlash match. It was a No Mercy match. It was NOT a WrestleMania match. Plus I knew Triple H was controlling the pace, Orton didn't even get a special entrance. These things make it obvious to see who is going up. It honestly just looked like Orton took the night off when he found out he wasn't going over. Bad choice in my opinion. Triple H doesn't need the belt anymore. Orton needs the belt. Fans need to know he's the Champion or else they're going to lose interest.

Sorry to get off-track in this thread... but like others just wanna vent.

As has previously been stated, this had to be the worst wrestlemania i have ever seen. Unlike others though it wasn't just the matches for me it was the whole 'spectacle'... if it can be called that this year,

I duno what it was but it just didn't feel like 'mania to me. The opening and everything was great and i was feelin hyped up and excited. Then i found out the tag match had been cut from the card and my mind started to turn (edit) and i later find out that Primo went over MORRISON in the finish... WTF!!??

When the MITB match went on first i was surprised but not worried. Overall it wasn't too bad but in saying that it didn't meet expectations, a few botches and hardly any involvement from some guys hurt it (Kofi sttod up tonight in my opinion). When Punk won i nearly fell out of my chair, from a guy who won it last year when he wasn't even really supposed to, to winning back to back and stealing a more deserving up and comers push? makes no sense!!

OK the buzz-kill... "Shit-Rock". Why the hell was he even on the show!? let alone getting 10-15 mins of air-time... completely killed momentum and interest so early into the show.

25-Diva Battle Royal... obviously not really 25 Divas because not even returning ones were given intros. I wasn't interested in this like others (maybe a little for nostalgia but thats all) but for the WWE to book it like this made me sick. I viewed this as sort of a "womens MITB match" so to say, with the winner getting a big push. I like Santino and i didn't mind that he was in the match but there was no way he should've won it and for everyone to 'not realise' who "Santina" was, was just bullshit.

The handicap match was kinda sad in a way. i know the guys wanted to get out there and everything but come-on... SuperFly was a hazard and Piper wasn't much better. SteamBoat on the other hand was amazing... one of my highlights today. Flair's involvement was pointless and as others have said, 1 actor (used to be a pro-boxer, but still) knocked out the 2008 superstar of the year... hmmmm...

Intercontinental Championship match... we waited 7 years for it!!... and we got that!? isn't that basically what happened in the ECW title match last year? and we all know what wonders it did for the rep of that title don't we?
Poor JBL... poor, poor JBL... hahaha

The Hardy's match wasn't bad but admittedly i was never really into this match from its beginnings. A few good spots but more of the same from these two. Happy that Matt won cause it was the right decision... and that twist-of-fate variation was gnarly IMO.

OK, match of the evening. It was good, it was solid... but i don't think it was as good as it could've been. I know i might get shit for this but to me it was a bit predictable... and though it was good i think it seems like it was a lot better than it actually was because of the low standard of everything else that was on the card. Just my opinion though.

World Heavyweight Championship Match... the match that we saw was not of an acceptable calibre to hold this billing on a wrestlemania card. I'm somewhat of an Edge mark, but not even he could make this really enjoyable for me. We knew John Cena would win... end of story. What happened with Vickie btw... she got speared... we saw her and Chavo lying on the floor... and then nothing more, they just disappeared, made the buld-up we had to sit through seem pointless. Best part of this match was when 'Show was caught in the ropes, it gave me a good chuckle.

Austin was good... IMO his involvement should've come in the handicap match with Rourke sayin (just before he got in the ring) something like "I'm good friends with the legends of the business as you well know, and i've got one friend who is particulalry unhappy with your recent actions Jericho!" (glass shatters) and on hell of an ass-whoopin ensues.

Then once again what i feared would happen but didn't actually think would happen happened. Arguably the brightest star in the current WWE roster (not wholly my opinion) was shinin a little too brightly for one Mr. Paul Levesque who took it upon himself to dim the wattage of that star by smashing it with a sledgehammer and burying it with a pedigree. I didn't mind if Orton lost, but not in this fashion... no Legacy... no Mcmahons at all!!! i just sat there stunned.

The ending of the show was the epitome of my main point... it just ended. no sign off from the commentators... not even much of a celebration after such a 'enormous' victory. It just wasn't Wrestlemania. Where was the passion? Where was the excitement and emotion? being the silver anniversary i thought it would be HUGE... entrances especially were below-par... no involvement or cameos from previous wrestlers... no real gimmicks.. i can't even remember JR saying what are now staple WM words like 'pageantry', 'spectacle' and 'awe-inspiring'... i have somewhat of an empty feeling about this Wrestlemania... i just don't know what to think about WWE anymore, its just dissapointment after disssapointment. and that coming from a long time fan and you other posters obviously are aswell then the WWE need to wake up real soon or they could lose what they have built

Sorry my post is so long BTW

I love the utter stupidity on this board, I really do. Every day, we ask for swerves, surprises and suspense. We get that and we're disappointed. Now I'm not going to argue that this Wrestlemania was great. I've said for weeks it wouldn't be. The card just doesn't entice you.

Anyway, swerve 1 happens in the first match. All of us IMPORTANT fans figured MITB was going to MVP or Christian and MAYBE Shelton. Considering MVP just won the US title and Shelton couldn't entertain his own family, they were out, and Christian doesn't have McMahon support yet, so Punk gets it. I know they are intent on making him an intricate part of the company due to his lifestyle, but unless he gets more of an opportunity to speak about it, it won't happen. Irregardless, the first repeat MITB winner is a swerve and the match itself is a spotfest and had some usual spots. You got what you were expecting there.

Diva match was stupid from the moment it became for the title of "Miss Wrestlemania". An opportunity was blown there as the buildup had champs Maryse and Melina feuding, which should have led to the winner of that match unifying the women's titles. There are only 18ish active women's wrestlers. To have 2 titles for them is asinine. If anything, perhaps have diva tag belts to have 2 divisions since Divas seem to have alliances, but having a title for literally 6 divas per show seems useless and here was a chance to eliminate that and we get SantinA winning for some comedy. Dude is funny but a big opportunity missed.

JBL thing, despite its ridiculousness is interesting. Is he really done? If he is, what a way to go. Kind of perfect for a 5 year heel since the creation of his character if you ask me. Perhaps we see him go back to commentating since Tazz is gone, but certainly a swerve there with him just walking out.

Brother vs. Brother = spots and decent wrestling, but nothing wows you. Matt winning was a swerve as we all know Jeff is the better brother. I think this is the worst thing they could have done. I've been pretty adamant about the fact that I don't think Matt Hardy belongs anywhere near the top of the card in the WWE due to having less personality than the keyboard i'm typing with. I get that he's a company man, but he's just awful and the whole angle was one of the WORST i've ever seen for a Wrestlemania match. Match was ok but Matt going over is a waste. Former champion Jeff now has to face his brother again to beat him to gain back any credibility. I suppose this was done since rumor is that Smackdown becomes the "B" show again and guys like Matt Hardy will be towards the top of the card there. Anyway, moving on.

Jericho vs. a lot of people had potential to be good and Steamboat did a nice job, but it was very predictable. I would have liked to see Rourke cut a promo more than just punching out Jericho. I mean, he's not Vin Diesel, and to me, it was a bit goofy and just an attempt at a celebrity cameo, which I support as it makes Wrestlemania different than any PPV, but it definitely could have been done better.

HBK vs. Undertaker.....good match for the fact that we knew the ending. Despite a great effort by 2 vets, you knew who was going over and to me, a long match, albeit an entertaining one isn't so exciting when you know the ending. I know others might disagree, but how many of you get mad when u TiVo a game and find out the score of it before u get to watch it. It RUINS IT!!! We knew Taker was going over and that takes some luster out of it.

Title match time!

Triple threat is what it is. I thought there would be something more than happened with the story. Either Vickie would get more involved (which she was out and couldn't), or, with Cena winning, a funny moment could have been had knowing that Cena won Vickie's affection. Missed an opportunity for a funny moment but overall I think the fans get what they want for the time being with Cena having the belt.

Main event of HHH vs. Orton......you people amuse me. How angry you all have gotten for the biggest surprise of the night. Just a year after Orton does the impossible and goes over HHH and Cena, he gets himself in a 1 on 1 against the Game, pushing all of his buttons, and even involving HHH's in-laws. Build-up was great, but I have to question some of the comments I've read on here. Why would you think this match would be incredible? It's 2 wrestlers who have a grind it out style and neither was supposed to play to the crowd due to the hatred. It was supposed to be an intense brawl, and it was. Also, HHH going over is not a isng of him "pulling rank" nor is it because "he's married to the boss". BLAME YOURSELVES for Orton losing. Why? Because you all expected him to win. For months it was talked up that this would be his shining moment, his claim to fame, but let's face it. He's not there yet. Sure, he's a main eventer, but I still think there's something missing from him. I much prefer Jericho has a heel to Orton. More to the point though, the fact that he was expected to win is enough reason for the WWE to have him not win. Orton will have his time in the sun, even if he sounds like a robot and honeslty doesn't know how to gain heat. I'd rather see him just be himself. Watch clips of him on Jay Leno and you'll see a kid with much more personality than they let him have. Let him run with a "dont' give a fuck" attitude like Austin without the destroying of stuff every week and see how the fans respond. But I am certainly with WWE in not giving him the title unless Legacy is a real force or until he ditches their asses and just becomes himself.

Final thought: Wrestlemania was not exciting, it was nothing more than "another" PPV. For the silver anniversary, it should have been HUGEEEEE. They should have pulled out all the stops. Former superstars galore should have been there. Celebrities should have been there. Entrances could have been bigger sans Marshall Mathers-Cena. Everythign should have been bigger and better but it wasn't. I just hope that the draft brings us some answers.

I have to say this was a disappointing PPV:

CM Punk gets the MITB? He loses the IC title and then wins this? Guys like Kane or MVP would have been worthy of a push and could have something new start after Wrestlemania because we saw Punk win the title and will he win it again? yes, but thought they should make him work for it again.

Diva match: Stupid. A time to create feuds and build up the women's division, instead they killed it. Now, no one cares about the division and can anyone name a feud at the moment? Not anymore because the momentum is gone.

I think it would have been more fitting if JBL won then retired instead of how he left. If he really is quitting he should have been able to be a heel on his term when quitting. To win and then say he is retiring that would be more historic than saying he quit like a big baby.

Taker and Michaels a good match, but it was a match with two good not great wrestlers as far as this point in their careers. It is a pleasure to see them go at it though.

I am glad Matt won otherwise this would have been a waste and killed his push. Make this personal for awhile before you make them move on from this rivalry. I do hope Jeff gets the title again and how fitting would it be if Matt got it and then Jeff was able to beat him for it? Just a thought.

Jericho deserved to win, but a knockout punch by Rourke? come on!

Triple Threat, good but now where does Show go from here? He has no title, got no girl, so they are wasting him again.

We knew HHH had to get his revenge and win so don't be shocked. I say Orton eventually takes it from HHH otherwise Legacy will die soon and we will be trying to remember who were Dibiase and Rhodes. By the way, it is time for them to do something, maybe win gold or turn on Orton and go face? Maybe Orton gets a rematch and they screw him out of it because no one cares about them so they need to do anything to gain relevance.

No, I am calling you stupid based upon your statement. Being Canadian is probably the contributing factor.

Big Show knocked out Cena and Edge, yes within the past few weeks. However before that he was doing?????

Orton was more over at Wrestlemania 24 than HHH and guess what nothing has changed in a year. Not only did HHH beat Orton, he buried him.

Yes, I have watched boxing. I understand that one punch can knock someone out. I just don't think its a good idea to have one of your best wrestlers get his ass kicked by an actor. Tomorrow morning, most of your media outlets will show Mickey Roarke knocking out Jericho, great way to showcase one of your finest wrestlers as well as destroy the credibility of 3 of your hall of famers, 4 if you count Flair's involvement.

Whats next, an actor with the World Championship? Oh yeah a company already did that. How is that company doing today??????:smashfreakB:

Before that, he "knocked" out Undertaker, came in for Edge when Edge was taking a break, then they continued for the rest of the months together, leading into Big Show loving Vickie and wanting the gold at WrestleMania.

Also, heels aren't suppose to win all the time, even if they are number one at the moment. Orton not winning at WrestleMania just furthered the feud.

First off, Mickey Rourke just "knocking" out Jericho for a few seconds wasn't anything but kind of like a slap in the face. What's Mickey going to do, let him beat him up in front of 70,000 people and get happy that he gets paid tonight? Plus, Cena can be considered an actor :blink: Considered, not saying that he fully is one. But, an actor with a world championship was back then, this is now.

ZOMG.

well, in answer to the original purpose of this thread, the breakout star of Mania 25 has to be Ricky Steamboat. Truly excellent against Jericho, a million billion miles better than Flair last year. Wow. Really amazing stuff. All credit to him.

Kofi shone in MITB. He really tried his heart out and Henry slamming him into the ladder was one sick spot. In addition to maybe the 4 other sick spots involving Kingston. Not sure whether it will do him any good. Morrison performed a similar role last year and hasn't really been hugely pushed from it.

good result for Matt Hardy. But he can't feud with Jeff forever, and eventually he will lose his heat, cuz he sucks on the mic.

Kofi's athleticism was great. People that bitched about guys like Henry and Kane being in it need to rethink that after this match. The poer guys are in there to set up killer spots, and Kofi running up the ladder was amazing.

Ricky Steamboat showed the world why he is considered a legend. The man in his 50's pretty much out performed everyone the whole night, and that's pathetic.

I honestly think Kofi stood out last night. I mean the moves he pulled really should the type of athleticism he truly has. To me he was the best performer in the MITB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back