• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which one of these unlikely stars would you like to see pushed in Edge's absence?

KillBill

Getting Noticed By Management
When a big star goes down, others must step up. Its also a good time to try and take a chance with someone who otherwise may not get that shot. Edge is gone, and Hardy may be on his way out. That leaves Punk, Jericho, and Morrison as the ME, with Taker to soon follow.

Kane-Theres a thread of him being on his last legs, hes done a lot, a title run would do him good.
Mysterio-A lot of people consider his first run a failure, whatever. Right now, there aren't too many big guys, so another title may work better this time.
Finlay-He's over to Smackdown now, he's a solid wrestler, it would be nice to see him mix it up in the ME.
R-Truth-Alright Vince, this guy is so over STILL, even with the same entrance after all this time. Its time to push him.

I left Hardy off because I don't know when hes coming back. Ziggler isn't ready yet. And Morrisons going up no matter what, even if Edge was around. The guys I mentioned are older, and I for one would like to see them pushed.

I go with R-Truth. He hasn't shined yet, I think he's entertaining, and hes way over, I say give him a shot. Thoughts?

I'd go with R-Truth as well. The man is sooooooo over! And his moveset is so dynamic and in your face! He's got a solid gimmick. And is a 2 time World's Champion over in TNA. And a lot of TNA fans were dis-appointed to see R-Truth not getting pushed. I am one of them. Umm yeah thats pretty much it.

would love to see kane have a good ME feud. maybe after he beats great khali he could challenge the undertaker because he wants to prove he's the best big man on smackdown?? who knows but i dont see rey moving up, he should feud with ziggler. r truth would be a nice change of pace. think about it after jeff who's the next top face. i would have liked to see edge turn face but he's injured. r - truth just found the perfect time to join the ME and be a major player in wwe

There's a couple of issues here. With Edge out and even if Jeff Hardy is leaving when his contract is up in a few weeks, there are certain superstars you just can't take a chance on, at least, as far as the main event is concerned.

The only superstars right NOW that can realistically main event on Smackdown!, assuming those two, Edge and Hardy, are out of the equation are Jericho, Mysterio, Kane, and of course Punk. The Undertaker of course can and may main event when he returns. There's no way they are pushing an R-Truth or John Morrison to the main event.

If you are talking about just getting a good push, I think John Morrison will get a good push and do solid mid-card work, but he won't be in the main event just yet. R-Truth gets a good pop, but his ring skills are limited when it comes to working a good match and he isn't ready until he adds a little more conventionally to his arsenal.

I view Punk, Jericho, Mysterio, and Kane all in the same category of guys throughout their careers who are usually upper mid-card but who have the credibility to main event at any given time. Add to that, you've got the Undertaker and you still have 5 guys for the main event picture.

I reckon WWE would push Khali to the main event before Morrison or Truth. And the best mid-card guy to push may be Matt Hardy if he was not injured. He had a good run on ECW, and gained even more momentum by beating Jeff a few times. He should've been on the verge of breaking into the main event scene and he was in my opinion before going to Raw. WWE likely realizes they made a mistake by putting him on Raw and they moved him back to Smackdown! where he could get a decent sized push.

When a big star goes down, others must step up. Its also a good time to try and take a chance with someone who otherwise may not get that shot. Edge is gone, and Hardy may be on his way out. That leaves Punk, Jericho, and Morrison as the ME, with Taker to soon follow.

Kane-Theres a thread of him being on his last legs, hes done a lot, a title run would do him good.
Mysterio-A lot of people consider his first run a failure, whatever. Right now, there aren't too many big guys, so another title may work better this time.
Finlay-He's over to Smackdown now, he's a solid wrestler, it would be nice to see him mix it up in the ME.
R-Truth-Alright Vince, this guy is so over STILL, even with the same entrance after all this time. Its time to push him.

I left Hardy off because I don't know when hes coming back. Ziggler isn't ready yet. And Morrisons going up no matter what, even if Edge was around. The guys I mentioned are older, and I for one would like to see them pushed.

I go with R-Truth. He hasn't shined yet, I think he's entertaining, and hes way over, I say give him a shot. Thoughts?

How about... None of them. All of them have reasons as to why they should not be the one who gets a title push.

Kane - One of my favourite wrestlers ever. Though he is past him prime. I don't see him getting it.

Mysterio - Could happen but I hope it doesn't. I am of the opinion that Mysterio only won the title in the first place to play off the death of Eddie G.

Finlay - Seriously!?

R-Truth - Why R-Truth? He has done fuck all to deserve it. Sure he had a good feud with MVP a while back but that's all. He also has great athletic ability but overall he is not ready for it and doesn't really deserve it.

How about Chris Jericho. With Edge gone, he will have to drop the tag titles. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to seeing where that was gonna go. I think an Edge/Jericho feus would have been top notch but that's out of the window. So with Jericho having nothing to do, why not put him back into the ME scene? He deserves it more than anyone you have listed and could put on much better matches.

I would like to see dolph ziggler pushed. They need another main event heel and he fits it. Ziggler and Jericho could become tag champs and really push him over.

To put those four superstars in order, I would say... Kane, R-Truth, Finlay, and Rey Mysterio.

Kane: If you've read some of my previous posts, you'd probably infer that I'm a pretty big Kane fan. I admire Kane's work in and out the ring, and I respect Glen Jacobs as a person. I don't like the way that WWE has been treating Kane over the past few years. And even though he said that he wants to put over young talent, a decent push every once in a while wouldn't hurt anybody. For WWE to have Khali win this fued again would be one of the worst decisions WWE has ever done. Kane needs to win this fued, he needs to be in the Smackdown main event and we all need to try to figure out the reason why WWE drafted Kane to Smackdown, and not leave him on Raw to job his career away.

R-Truth: I've liked R-Truth since Day One and I think he can go far. His moveset is very unique, and he is very athletic in the ring. Before his debut, I read that he would be in line for a main event push, but that push has since been declined. I would like to see R-Truth move up to the main event just to give it a new look, and to show that he can work at the level of the main eventers.

Finlay: Finlay was just about to be in line to win the ECW Championship, but suddenly he gets drafted to Smackdown. Finlay being in Smackdown's main event would surprise me a little bit, but during his last stint on Smackdown, he showed that he could. Not sure if he'd be too effective in the main event, but who knows?

Rey Mysterio: Now, it's not that I don't want to see Rey Mysterio in the main event... it's just that I think he would benefit more by leading the mid-card. Mysterio can switch between mid-card and main event any time he wants, but I think he should remain in the mid-card. He did say that he wanted to be called one of the greatest Intercontinental Champions of all-time, so what better way than to go against all odds and defend the title against every person that steps in your way. I would want Mysterio to hold the IC Title for a long time and then if WWE is impressed with his reign, then maybe we can see Rey's 2nd reign as World Heavyweight Champion.

R-Truth would be a great guy to move up in Edge's absense. He is way over with the croud and his ring set is highly entertaining. However as JR mentioned in his blog we will see a different R-Truth next week, so something is happening with his gimmick.

The person that needs to move up is Morrison. He beaten Punk, went toe-to-toe w/Jericho and is the only noob that he put enough time on for a main-event push. Not to win yet, but a tittle defense program after SummerSlam is the way to go.

With that said I have no problem w/Kane or Rey moving up again, they both have the workrate and experience to be WHC again.

Chris Jericho should go back to main eventing. Morrison is on the way and since he pinned Punk last week he is definetly on the way. But Jericho is ahead of him in the pecking order. Kane just returned so he could work too but he's behind Jericho as well. Fuck R-Truth and Finlay. Truth is boring and belongs in the midcard. He's all spots he can't wrestle for shit. Finlay is just a soild worker and good at putting people over but he wouldn't draw as champion. Jericho has all the tools and the credibility to main event again. He was World Champion on Raw and Vince cares more about Raw than Smackdown for the most part. So I see Jericho getting the push since he has nowhere to go. Morrison is close, Kane is busy, and Truth is boring so Im going with Jericho.

There's 2 things I would like to cover here for 1 I think that edge goin down here is the worst possible thing that could hav happened for the wwe right now cause I think the jericho edge thing was the best storyline they had goin and I was looking forward to the edge jericho fued..but now 2 who gets the push here..I think since edge was a heel and a great one at that they need to start to build another one here so I think that there eliminates morrison because for some reason he has became one of the top faces on sd and he dosent need the push...I also think that kane would be a bad move cause unless he puts the mask back on no will take him seriously.....so that leaves only one more heel right now left and that is ziggler...I wouldn't say push zigg to the main event but put him in the tag team with jericho and let him earn some cred there and then after a few months of that maybe he will b over enough for a push towards main event status..I just don't c anyone else who could fit in right now cause I think huys like finlay and matt hardy and haas are all mid card guys...and of course u still hav r truth who I believe needs to e a good guy on sd and isn't really ready for the main event yet but I do think he does needa push as a face...

WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD:

Smackdown right now has 22 wrestlers essentially split down the line with 11 heels and 11 faces if you count CM Punk as a heel and you keep Hawkins as a heel. Here's the breakdown in comparison to one another:

Jeff Hardy-----------CM Punk
Undertaker-----------Edge
Rey Mysterio---------Chris Jericho
John Morrison---------Kane
R-Truth--------------Matt Hardy
Finlay----------------Dolph Ziggler
Khali-----------------Mike Knox
Cryme Tyme----------Hart Dynasty
Kung Fu Naki----------Charlie Haas
Jesse-----------------Curt Hawkins
J. Wang Yang----------Ricky Ortiz

Let's work under the assumption that both Edge and Jeff are gone.

This means that CM Punk has to stay heel as we couldn't have a brand that revolves around Jericho as top heel with Kane and Matt Hardy as #2 and #3. It won't work, especially when you would have 4 faces that would work (Punk, Taker, Mysterio, Morrison).

Morrison would be skyrocketed to a very valuable position in the company. Essentially, he'd be considered the #2 guy. Undertaker would clearly pick up the reigns and be in the top feud, with Rey as a backup, and Morrison being primed seeing as how Taker and Rey have their age and injuries going against them while Morrison to the best of my knowledge has no inactivity from injuries.

Smackdown has enough people without Edge and Jeff that they can still maintain a decent show until Edge comes back. Undertaker can have full feuds with the likes of CM Punk (over the title), Jericho, Matt Hardy, Kane, and Dolph Ziggler. We've seen Taker/Kane enough that you don't have to really do that at all, actually, because there are enough people on Smackdown to feed to Taker to keep him busy and spread things out. Say you're having a Taker/Punk feud and you don't want Undertaker to wrestle Jericho, Hardy, Kane, or Ziggler since he'll be having feuds with them soon. Why not do a Taker/Knox match? Taker/Haas? Taker/Ortiz? Sure, it doesn't feel "big time", but that's not going to matter.

You've also got LOTS of feuds Morrison can do. Feud with Punk over the title. Jericho. Kane/Morrison is fresh. Matt Hardy. Ziggler. And again, you can feed him people like Haas and Knox. I'm not a fan of R-Truth, but you wouldn't have to rule him out either. He'd be good filler for the heels, alongside Finlay, and both guys could be the predominant faces in the midcard to wrestle Dolph Ziggler, Matt Hardy, and the Hart Dynasty.

We're in July already. Essentially, you just have to make it to January and you're scott-free when it comes to fresh feuds and stuff, cause once the Royal Rumble build begins, everything becomes about WrestleMania, not the brands as a whole. So we've got 6 months. That's only 24 episodes of Smackdown, right? Fucking cake walk. Take Ziggler for example. I haven't read any spoilers so idk if this is true or not, but let's just say for argument's sake that he's the #1 contender to the IC title for Night of Champions. He starts a feud with Mysterio. This gives us Mysterio/Ziggler for this month and next month at the very least. That's roughly 8 episodes of Smackdown you can make up for those two guys. Then you do Ziggler/Finlay. Then you do Ziggler/Truth. Then you do Ziggler/Taker. Theoretically speaking, not specifically in that order or something. Ziggler has enough people to feud with until January.

Starting to ramble. Let's get back on track.

Edge is injured. He may be out anywhere between 4 and 8 months from what I've heard. Anybody have a feeling that with the way Smackdown was going already, that with how little they trust Jeff Hardy, how the Undertaker will keep his streak alive, and how they certainly won't give the spot to Mysterio, that there were only a small handful of potential main events for the WHC at WrestleMania?

1) Push Morrison. Have him win the Royal Rumble and get a shot at someone like Jericho or Edge and beat them.

2) By some chance, they do trust Jeff Hardy enough that they book him as the main event of WrestleMania and do Hardy vs. Jericho, as they've already done him against Punk and Edge.

3) Edge as a face versus a heel Jericho.

Option 2 can't be done if Jeff isn't in the company. Option 1 immediately becomes Morrison vs Jericho if Edge isn't back. Option 3 if Edge comes back would be the biggest money maker. Who would Taker face at Mania? Idk. Where's Jeff fit into it? Depends on if he's there or not, cause if he's there, probably a singles match in a feud or he's a participant in the Money in the Bank.

I can see them doing Edge vs Jericho at WrestleMania. Imagine it...Jericho becomes champ around Survivor Series or so. Edge returns in January and turns face. He wins the Royal Rumble (hasn't done it before) and challenges Jericho. Two big names, two guys that would put on a hell of a match, and two very reliable performers who have it in them to steal whatever is left of the show that HBK and Taker haven't already stolen in their respective matches.

If Edge and Hardy are gone, CM Punk obviously takes over Edge's heel spot on Smackdown and becomes involved in feuds with Mysterio, Taker, and Morrison, while Morrison himself is upgraded to being a solidified main event face on the brand to leave the midcard to Finlay and R-Truth with Mysterio teetering back and forth depending on whom he's feuding with, as he could feud with Matt in an upper midcard scenario, Ziggler in a strict midcard IC title feud, blah blah blah.

SUMMED UP: If Hardy stays, Punk takes Edge's spot as heel. If Hardy goes, Morrison moves up and I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Edge return as a face in time to be booked against Jericho at WrestleMania, because if not, then I think its very, very, very safe to say that Morrison has a shot at being in the world title picture for WrestleMania.

But then again, they could just bring someone from Raw over in some random trade...haha.

Right, you said unlikely people to get pushed, so that throws out Jericho, Morrison and Mysterio, Jericho can go back to the ME whenever WWE feel like putting him there and Morrison is getting a massive push, he'll be Main Eventing soon, Mysterio goes back and forth between Main Event and upper midcard as often as Jericho.

Kane would be my unlikely pick, Kane is unlikely because of how he's been used recently, that being said he's a big guy and big guy's always pack credibility. So I guess he isnt that unlikely either, and looking at who else is on the brand he could easily carry it as a top heel.

A really unlikely choice would be someone like Charlie Haas, I may be the only person in the world that would enjoy it but it'd be different. Have him break away from Shelton's shadow and start winning matches, he's already shown himself to have more personality than the gold standard anyway.

I dont think Kane has what it takes to fill any main event void, purely on the fact that he hasn't been in a Main Event position for ages and he's a big, aging monster who is limited in the ring. C.M Punk would be my pick... I know he's like pretty much a main-event heel already, but Edge being out would give CM the opportunity to solidify himself as a top player.

The next guy to hit it will be Morrison and I'm standing by that. He deserves it. He is good. He can draw and his character is pulled off so flawlessly. On the other hand, I doubt Rey Mysterio would ever be a long-term Main Eventer again. They put the belt on him and his main event push kinda flopped. Plus he's pretty beat up nowdays, and that's the last thing WWE wants from a small guy, much less a main-eventer.

This is what I love about Smackdown. Anybody has a shot at having a ME push, instead of us having to endure the same fucking thing over and over. I've always wanted to see what R-Truth could do if they put him in a program with Jericho. Jericho could wrestle a dummie to a 5 star match, I bet he can make Truth look like gold. If something like that happens, I could see Truth being in line for a top spot.

While i would like to see Kane pushed, it won't happen unfortunately. Other than Kane i would say K-kwik aka R-Truth. The reason why i say him is because he's pretty popular and I think its time for him to be pushed into the main event scene. If not R-Truth, then Y2J, no reason needed on him i think we all know how good Y2J can be

The opinions of Morrison, Punk, Kane, etc... are all well and good... but there's one person everyone is forgetting about... Shawn Michaels.

Obviously, he's the "property" of Raw right now, but we've seen how quickly a trade could / can / will happen.

I know his religion has always been the reason he's remained on Raw over the years, but strange things happen in the wrestling world all the time.

In addition, there is still a possibility that his feud with the Undertaker didn't end at 'Mania 25, despite the fact there has been no continuation of it since March / April.

Creative can always look back and say, "Damn, that was a great match. Lets do it again at 'Mania 26 !!" - you can all see that realistically happening.

It also possible that 'Mania 26 COULD be the final match for either Taker or HBK, so why not try it one more time ?? Even though I don't want to see it and don't believe it should happen.

My final reason for HBK getting "elevated"...as you guys want to put it... is because Vince trusts him and it would be a pretty automatic ratings boost IMO. The boost would only last a few weeks at most, but Vince only seems to care about right now and not two months from now, hence Trump.

I would like to see dolph ziggler pushed. They need another main event heel and he fits it. Ziggler and Jericho could become tag champs and really push him over.

could work around the end of the year, but he needs to be built up more before he actually enters the ME scene. Feud with Ray, win the belt, retain it for a few PPV's and then drop it to another new comer or ray ray and then he can go to the ME scene. Punk or jericho will probably have the title by then, so if its jericho, its a perfect chance to give ziggler the rub he needs plus the title and then he is truly a top player and a force on smackdown.

How about... None of them. All of them have reasons as to why they should not be the one who gets a title push.

Kane - One of my favourite wrestlers ever. Though he is past him prime. I don't see him getting it.

Mysterio - Could happen but I hope it doesn't. I am of the opinion that Mysterio only won the title in the first place to play off the death of Eddie G.

Finlay - Seriously!?

R-Truth - Why R-Truth? He has done fuck all to deserve it. Sure he had a good feud with MVP a while back but that's all. He also has great athletic ability but overall he is not ready for it and doesn't really deserve it.

How about Chris Jericho. With Edge gone, he will have to drop the tag titles. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to seeing where that was gonna go. I think an Edge/Jericho feus would have been top notch but that's out of the window. So with Jericho having nothing to do, why not put him back into the ME scene? He deserves it more than anyone you have listed and could put on much better matches.

The underlined quote above I TOTALLY AGREE WITH!!!!! Jericho is a MAIN EVENTER!!!! He needs nothing to step into Edge's role!!! In my eyes, Jericho is the top heel on SM!!

I think this is a chance to bring in curt hawkings.......With Edge injured, he should turn to his follower to defend his title. Curt should keep the Edge head carbon copy gimmick....and team with Jericho as the champs........As the team continues....Curt should begin to drift away dfrom the edge gimmick and start to copy Jericho......imitating his look and in ring moves. It would give jericho another follower and Can SAVE curt hawkings........hell eventually he tells Curt hawking to be himself and this kid finnally gets a shot.....if not Curt hawkings is on is way out

Since Edge was arguably the top heel on smackdown until his injury. They need to find someone who is really going to step up his game to try and fill those shoes (temporary of course). I think the most logical choice would be Matt Hardy but since he is also on the injured list right now, i will have to go with nobody. No offense to the current roster but I just don't feel like any of the mid carders are ready. It's not their fault , it's Vince's dementia of creating new main event caliber stars when he should in case something like this happens. All they can do right now is push Jericho into the top heel posistion. Smackdown's main event scene is so thin right now (punk, hardy, jericho) but at least they aren't stale like the recycled crap (Cena, Orton, HHH) they call the main event on raw.

Cody Rhodes.he is defo jerichos partner,he ALWAYS gets beat up,so it wouldnt kill vince to push him abit,find a meaning in his carrer.also morrison and r truth

I would say either John Morrison or Dolph Ziggler I see major potential in these two and let's not forget Morrison knows what it's like to hold gold seeing how he has held Tag Team and Singles gold so I hope either one of these guys gets a good push

As was said, Morrison'll be in the main event soon enough (with or without Edge)....and he's a freshly turned face, so making him "top heel" would just be stupid. As for Kane, as much as I'd love to see him in the main event, I highly doubt it.

However, there is a potential wild card that, from what I've read, hasn't been considered.

Mike Knox.

Other than a few appearances on SD!, he has yet to really do anything of value. Vince has always been big on monsters....and Knox certainly fits that bill. With Show on Raw, Zeke on ECW, Khali....let's face it, he was pretty much destroyed by Ziggler, so his "monster" image is all but gone. Knox could be a fresh big man in the mix. I'm not too keen on his mic skills, but that's what managers are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back