Which do you prefer: Ref bumps or Ref Distractions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
A simple topic, really.

During matches, there are times when too many rules apply, thus preventing a wrestler from scoring a fair and just victory over their opponent. Sometimes, a wrestler shows how cunning they can be by manipulating a referee's position to squeak out a win. The two most common means of manipulation are:

1. Ref Bump - When the referee gets knocked out or injured during the match.

This is done either intentionally or accidentally, and it usually incapacitates the referee for 2-3 minutes, at the least. No matter what the match type, this allows the rulebook to be thrown out the window. It is most common during high-profile matchups, normally for a title belt.

2. Ref Distraction - When a referee's attention is diverted from the current task at hand by some kind of external means, thus allowing the wrestler to take advantage of the moment.

Normally, it is much less time consuming than a ref bump and doesn't cause any harm to the referee. The referee is usually distracted for less than 10 seconds. This method was well known and more common back in the days when wrestlers were represented by a manager, mouthpiece, or valet. However, Ref Distractions are still extremely common and used often, even to this day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've seen the results of many matches change, due to these circumstances. Sometimes it works in favor of the audience. But most of the time, we are left disappointed with the results.

So, I'd like to discuss a few things here.

First of all, which do you prefer: Ref Bumps or Ref Distractions?

Secondly, what are your most memorable Ref Bumps/Ref Distractions?

(Please keep in mind that this is a NON-SPAM forum. If you do not understand, please make sure that you read the forum rules before posting. Otherwise, you will risk being infracted.)

I'm going with ref bumps. Sometimes depending on how it's done, ref distractions are just silly to me. For example, when you have a heel like Michelle McCool, who is known to cheat, have Layla at ringside suddenly jump on the apron, and start arguing with the ref. Sometimes it can just be stupid.

While ref bumps actually make sense if you think about it. It's believable when a ref gets takes a bump or gets knocked out because they're refs, they're not built to handle the punishment like the wrestlers are. Since I can't really remember any others, my favorite ref bump would probably be the one Mike Chioda took at Wrestlemania 23 in the match between John Cena and Shawn Michaels. HBK went for the superkick on Cena, but he ducked it, and nailed Chioda with it. Chioda did a great job of selling it.

You know, I was reading JJ Dillon's book the other night and he discussed the art of the ref distraction. The issue isn't with the act itself, it's with the way it's executed. Wrestlers, managers, and refs do not know how to time it right anymore. Overall, I prefer ref distractions - especially in tag team matches - because it's a little niusance that helps advance the story. Ref bumps should be saved for major moments and not be overused.

I remember Harley Race distracting the ref for Vader numerous times, and since I was such a Vader-hater growing up (because he was such a hatable heel...), I got infuriated.

But the masters of the ref distraction were - hands down - Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair. At Wrestlemania 8, when Flair faced Savage, Perfect and Flair took turns on ref distraction while the other beat on Savage. It created a feeling of Savage vs the world to avenge the humiliation his wife endured, so when Savage gave them a taste of their own medicine to win the title by hooking Flair's tights, it was EXTREMELY satisfying.

Yes, Flair and Perfect were master ref distractors.

I prefer the ref bump, as in most matches you can predict when the ref distraction is going to happen, but the bump is unpredictable.

For example, we all know Michelle will not beat Mickie clean, usually Layla will need to interfere to help Michelle get over. The ref bump in main events however, nobody can see it coming and it just makes the match better as you know somebody is going to come out and screw somebody over.

I prefer ref distractions because if someone comes out with a heel as their manager or just simply as an ally watching the match, then a ref distraction gives this person something to do during the match. It's a great way for both the heel and his/her ally to get heel heat from the crowd since it doesn't "feel right" for a heel to win a match due to the ref being distracted.

I think some of the more memorable ones were from back in 06 when Edge won matches due to Lita's distractions sometimes. These were great and got more heel heat for both of them because it upset some fans that Edge won matches he should have otherwise lost, only because Lita distracted the ref. A more recent example is Layla distracting the refs during Michelle's feud with Mickie. A similar result came out of that, more heel heat for Michelle and Layla.

Ref bumps can be more unpredictable in terms of how they affect the outcome of the match, but I prefer ref distractions as they are more entertaining in the end and because they are also a great way for heels to get more heat from the fans.

It has to be referee distractions. Ref bumps just look silly, and are way too predictable. You see an epxerienced ref lined up in a bad angle, and you can tell someone is going to run into him, or that he's going to catch the chair shot. It's just too predictable.

While you can see the ref distractions coming (obviously), they make a little more sense, and aren't 100% effective. Sometimes the ref catches what is going on, and other times it turns into the face's favor.

Also, why is it a ref can get slightly bumped, and be out for a solid 4 minutes, but he gets put in a match, and he can take a powerbomb, a clothesline, a chokeslam, and a dropkick, but come back for more?

ref distractions. Ref bumps look silly because they get hit lightly and spend just long enough on the ground for the heel to cheat, get the tables turned, not get a three count because the ref's out for the count, have the heel cheet some more and win the match. Ref distractions at the very least mean that the ref doesnt look completely pathetic, and are over quick enough for it to be believable.

also, NSL, when has a ref been put in a match and taken a powerbomb, a clothesline, a chokeslam and a dropkick and not have lost?

Ref Distractions are clearly better than Ref Bumps, however both are good for variety.

Ref distractions allow for the audience to get more frustrated and therefore, more into the drama of the match, as opposed to a Ref Bump. You have the audience hollering at the ref at the top of their lungs to turn around, and you can hear the tension and the frustration level.

Plus, there is the unknown on whether the ref is going to turn around and see the Heel tactics being done, or whether or not he will keep his back turned. In a Ref Bump, the ref goes down and stays down, 99% of the time.

And that is one more reason why ringside managers are needed once again. They were the masters at Ref Distractions: arguing with the ref to allow the Heel to do the deed.

Good thread.

I'd have to say I prefer distractions to occur more often than bumps. I find distractions work better as it's more believable. Having someone distract the ref for a short time while the heel uses a weapon or has someone interfere like in tag team match's works well. Bumps tend to not make sense to me unless it's a serious bump. Some just look stupid, like a clothesline and the ref's rolling around for ages... It just looks dumb. But when they get a serious hit like Shawn hitting SCM or a ref taking a weapon shot or it looks really serious and is used sparingly it works.

I'd say distractions work more often for me.

So I agree with most of the posters here with the concensus that Ref Bumps are overused, overplayed, and overdone. It just seems to me that if a wrestler grazes a referee's arm, it causes a chain reaction that forces a referee to slip into a coma for hours at a time. Go figure.

Ref Distractions are a more believable way for a wrestler to gain the advantage in a match. Whether it's to get the upper hand during a match and stop an opponent's momentum or to put the finishing touches on a match, the ref distraction seems to be a bit more believable. Furthermore, when used by heels, it gains a ton of quick heat, while babyfaces use it for pops from the crowd. It's a win-win situation.

One thing that I feel has been underused in pro-wrestling has been the Ref Double-cross. We recently saw this during the Undertaker/CM Punk feud. This allowed a (portrayed) average main eventer to gain an unthinkable type of win over a near invincible character, such as the Undertaker. Punk still gloats about his submission 'victory' to this day, and it will always be a bookmark in his record book.

A great example of a Ref Double-Cross from the past would be back in the 1980's when Hulk Hogan was feuding with Andre the Giant and Ted DiBiase. In a famous chain of events, the Hebner brothers were utilized in order to cheat Hogan out of the WWE Championship, thus causing the tournament for the WWE Championship that took place at Wrestlemania IV.

Another great example is the Danny Davis incidents that occurred during the 1980's. Davis was a crooked referee that was involved in many controversial match endings such as a cage match pitting Hulk Hogan against Paul Orndorf and (more famously) the WWE Tag Team Championship match of the British Bulldogs vs. the Hart Foundation. Danny Davis showed favoritism for the Hart Foundation and screwed the Bulldogs out of the tag titles. This resulted in Danny Davis being suspended as a referee by Jack Tunney and becoming a temporarily active wrestler for a time period. He joined the Hart Foundation stable and was a competitor in a six-man tag team match that occurred during Wrestlemania III; Davis and the Hart Foundation vs. the British Bulldogs and Tito Santana. Davis got the pin after knocking out one of the opponents with Jimmy Hart's megaphone.

When used correctly, controversial referee decisions can really spice things up during a feud. I think it really added a lot of depth to ths storylines of the 1980's. As usual, the WWE has swept these ideas under the rug, for the most part.

Should the WWE bring back another long-term storyline that involves a crooked referee, such as the Danny Davis incidents?

Should the WWE bring back another long-term storyline that involves a crooked referee, such as the Danny Davis incidents?

Heck of a time to bring this up, after last night's horrid refereeing in the overtime of the Packers / Cardinals game. But I digress.

95% of the time, I would say no. The idea of a professional wrestling match, especially now-a-days with all of the secrets of pro wrestling exposed, is to create a match during which the fans forget that it's scripted and forget what's best or what the booking team would do, and for a few moments make you feel the match is real. Guys like Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, and Kurt Angle do it better than almost anyone.

The constant has been the referee. In real sports, the referees may miss calls (ahem, face mask on Aaron Rodgers, cough, cough) and frustrate the shit out of the fans. So when it happens in wrestling matches, it makes sense and is plausible.

A dirty ref, on the other hand, isn't plausible.

That is, of course, until Mike Donaghey in the NBA.

The scandal the NBA is dealing with, with an NBA ref betting on and influencing the outcome of games for financial gain, is a major concern in the world of legit pro sports. So while normally I'd be against the idea of a crooked ref angle (I am also not interested in it), if the WWE or TNA went with it right now, it'd make some sense.

Aside from that, I don't think there is a ref around who could pull it off. Charles Robinson did it in WCW (The "'lil Naitch" angle with Ric and David Flair), D-Man brought up Danny Davis, etc.

I guess a side question would be whether themes such as gambling are appropriate in PG programming, but it is an interesting thought overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back