Which championship belt is currently the most prestigious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
This is NOT the question of "which company is better?" or "which belt do you think is best?" This is - although I will allow for discussion to slightly deviate, of course - which championship title do you think is the most prestigious?

EDIT: How the hell do I attach a poll to this thing!?

While I await advice on how to attach a poll, I'll post my choice and reasons. Although I am a self-confessed TNA fan, I think that the TNA World Heavyweight Title isn't that prestigious at the moment - in fact, I'll only acknowledge it as more valuable than the WWE title if they put it on a "TNA guy" like Samoa Joe or AJ Styles, not Sting, Cage or Angle. Currently, I'd say that I see the ROH title as the most prestigious, with the NWA coming a close second thanks to the tournament - a great idea, if you ask me. The best wrestlers in the world have held the ROH title, and one of them is holding it currently. In addition to that, it isn't passed around as much as any other title I'm aware of and no-one has worn it more than once.

Mr. Sam- You have the poll option when you post the thread...it's a small box you'd have checked off.

I will cast the unpopular vote by saying the WWE Intercontinental Title. It's basically the belt you get that says "you are the strongest up and comer we have in the company right now. You may be asked to main event one night, and curtain jerk the next. We may put you in cage matches or ladder matches. You will carry matches with lessor up and comers and we will be watching how you do. You will have to cut promos that create a buzz around the midcards. Oh, and in terms of prestige, here's a list of great former IC champs: Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, The Rock, HHH, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Christian, Diesel, Mr. Perfect. Good luck, kid!"

On that list, only Curt Henning has never held the World Title of a major, current promotion.

Never mind about the poll, there are too many options to be contained within it if you ask me. It's better if this is a more open discussion. Besides, we'd just have guys voting non-stop for the WWE title and giving no reasons.

I said this in another thread, but my pick is going to be the World Heavyweight Championship.

Why the others suck.
WWE: Since Brock Lesnar left, that belt has been shit. Guerrero was okay, but I wouldn't have put the strap on him, that's just how I feel. Brock should never have lost that belt. Since then it has gone to J.B.L. and John Cena, who have held it for the better part of the last 3 years between the two of them. The two others to hold it were Edge and RVD, but were not given a long enough time as champ to bring any prestige back to that championship. The WWE title is successfully defended against guys like Khali and Umaga, ew, awe inspiring.

ECW Title: There simply isn't enough competition for this to be considered a world title. The champ hardly defends on the belts own show, so this title is worthless.

NWA Title: While TNA has done its best to restore world title status to this belt, the NWA title has been a piece of garbage ever since Shane Douglas threw it in the trash can in 93.

TNA: Simply to new to be established as a legit belt in the business.

The World Heavyweight Championship/Big Gold Belt: This belt is the real legacy of the NWA world title. It can be traced back to Ric Flairs Reign as NWA champion. It featured all of WCW's Champions, and yes, I know that includes Arquette, but Vince McMahon also was a WWE and ECW champion, so all have had their share of shits. Since its resurrection in the WWE you've had Triple H, HBK, Benoit, Orton, Goldberg, Batista, Angle, Mysterio, Booker T, the Undertaker and Edge. While Goldberg and Batista are shit, the other guys are legit championship material.

I said this in another thread, but my pick is going to be the World Heavyweight Championship.

Why the others suck.
WWE: Since Brock Lesnar left, that belt has been shit. Guerrero was okay, but I wouldn't have put the strap on him, that's just how I feel. Brock should never have lost that belt. Since then it has gone to J.B.L. and John Cena, who have held it for the better part of the last 3 years between the two of them. The two others to hold it were Edge and RVD, but were not given a long enough time as champ to bring any prestige back to that championship. The WWE title is successfully defended against guys like Khali and Umaga, ew, awe inspiring.

ECW Title: There simply isn't enough competition for this to be considered a world title. The champ hardly defends on the belts own show, so this title is worthless.

NWA Title: While TNA has done its best to restore world title status to this belt, the NWA title has been a piece of garbage ever since Shane Douglas threw it in the trash can in 93.

TNA: Simply to new to be established as a legit belt in the business.

The World Heavyweight Championship/Big Gold Belt: This belt is the real legacy of the NWA world title. It can be traced back to Ric Flairs Reign as NWA champion. It featured all of WCW's Champions, and yes, I know that includes Arquette, but Vince McMahon also was a WWE and ECW champion, so all have had their share of shits. Since its resurrection in the WWE you've had Triple H, HBK, Benoit, Orton, Goldberg, Batista, Angle, Mysterio, Booker T, the Undertaker and Edge. While Goldberg and Batista are shit, the other guys are legit championship material.

Shocky, I am going to agree with you 100 percent on what you said here as the World Heavyweight Championship is the most prestigious as of right now. Just looking at the list of champions is unbelievable its like a legends list. The WWE Championship is up there but its prestige has gone down the drain with the likes of Cena holding it and the fact that WWE shits it with crappy challengers and making it look like a toy then a Worlds title.

I would have to say the U.S. title is the most prestigious right now and was for a long time IMO. Many fans despise MVP but that means he is doing a great job of being a heel and he is a good wrestler that can only improve. The best quality matches came from U.S. title matches especially when you had former champs in the last 6 years like Benoit, Kennedy, Finlay, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Edge, Booker T, Carlito, and even Orlando Jordan proved worthy of that belt until the SD creative team got tired of him and made him look like trash and eventually released him.

Lashley, JBL, Big Show, and John Cena are probably the only four guys that lowered the prestige of the U.S. title in the last 6 years since WWE owned it. John Cena had to have the U.S. title Cena-fied into a spinner belt, JBL was challenging Mysterio for the World title while he had the U.S. title which made the U.S. title look like garbage, Lashley was pushed too fast into having the U.S. title(He should be challenging for this title today IMO, and not anywhere near the big 3 titles), and Big Show did not need the U.S. title to begin with, he already had his huge size to push himself with.

I would have chosen the World Title but Batista pretty much owned that belt since he beat Triple H for it at WM21.

Hands down the most prestigious belt in proffessional wrestling today, is the World Heavyweight Championship. The title Edge currently holds. It can be traced all the way back to the 1940's and even before that in 1905. In fact, it shares lineage with the National Wrestling Alliance's World Heavyweight Championship as they both represented NWA/WCW. Think of the list of names.........

Ric Flair, Buddy Rogers, Jack Brisco, Ricky Steamboat, Lou Thesz, Harley Race, Chris Candido, Terry Funk, Sting, Lex Luger, Barry Windham, Kerry Von Erich, Dusty Rhodes, Carlos Colon, Triple H, Gene Kiniski, Tatsumi Fujinami, Chris Benoit, The Great Muta, Ron Simmons, Bret Hart......

So without its the belt that Edge is holding right now. That belt represents the continuation of the lineage, at least until the NWA regains its meaning.

I sorta agree with the the World Heavyweight Championship being the most prestigious, but not completely. It does have a great lineage, but the WWE Championship is really the most prestigious. The WWE title is the belt of the only surving brand of professional wrestling that is on worldwide television(not including TNA, but they're new, and have new titles). And with the WWE title being on the most watched wrestling program of the strongest brand, it really has to be considered the best.

Currently the most prestigious:
(p.s. - Due to my lack of cable, I don't watch TNA, so I can't rate how prestigious their titles are right now)

1. World Heavyweight Title

The match at Wrestlemania between The Undertaker and Batista set it off for me. The Undertaker won the Royal Rumble and chooses to take on Batista instead of Cena. These two men had a classic back and forth match that resulted in The Undertaker coming out victorious over a powerful Batista who had torn through the Smackdown heels one by one. It took a Last Man Standing match, a Cage match, a Mark Henry beating and Edge stealing the Money in the Bank from Ken Kennedy to cash it in at the tail end of the Cage match, and still it took more than one spear to put him down. Now Edge is holding it and keeping it from Batista with every trick in the book. This all, by the way, has been the past three months for the belt.

Last year, Rey Mysterio wins the Royal Rumble and chooses to face Kurt Angle for the World Heavyweight Title. The year before, Batista chooses Triple H. Every year the Royal Rumble winner chooses the World Heavyweight Champion and not the WWE Champion. That alone makes it more prestigious. The legacy behind the actual title belt itself speaks volumes, but we're talking currently.

2. United States Championship

A belt that MVP chased for 3 PPVs. A belt that helped popularize Chris Jericho, Goldberg, Scott Steiner, and Bobby Lashley among others. MVP has a chance to establish himself with the U.S. title. He got a very credible win over Chris Benoit and can now run with it. I think the belt is already well-established and is a major part of the Smackdown show. Think about this, JBL was WWE champion, lost it, and won the U.S. belt, and he didn't lose much credibility. Same with Booker T, Ric Flair, and Big Show. If you're not at the top, the U.S. title is the belt to have to stay on top of your game.

3. WWE Championship

I'm not crazy about the Spinner version that John Cena adopted (and Edge used as well). I remember when Hulk Hogan spray-painted the nWo on WCW World Title, and how hard it was to get the belt off of him, and the big deal it was made when he finally lost it to clean off the graffiti. Why hasn't a heel (or anyone for that matter) done what JBL's feud was a few years ago, which is try to restore the belt from the spinner? Also, the WWE title today is a little below because while it has been retained more than the World Heavyweight Title (there have been 6 WHCs in the past two years compared to 3 WWE champions) the quality of match has gone down. Undertaker/Batista stole the show at Wrestlemania, and none of Cena's WWE title matches have been that epic and legendary since the One Night Stand match vs. Rob Van Dam. Cena has beaten monsters like Umaga and The Great Khali, but neither of them are that credible despite their size and gimmick. Since the brand extension, I don't remember any Royal Rumble winner going after the WWE title (look at WM 19 and beyond). I'm not going to say Cena should lose the belt, but I do think it would be taken more seriously if it didn't spin like a set of rims and more credible contenders were going after it.

4. World Tag Team Titles (RAW)

They were buried a little when Michaels and Cena won them from Rated RKO (why didn't they have Shawn at least wear his Tag belt for Wrestlemania? He was still a champion) When the Hardys won them, at least a legit tag team held them. Now, another legit tag team, Cade and Murdoch won them. With the reunion of Haas and Benjamin, and with London and Kendrick now on RAW, let's see where they go from here.

5. WWE Tag Team Titles (Smackdown)
London and Kendrick held them for a crazy amount of time. Deuce and Domino recently won them. Now the Major Brothers are on Smackdown. (WHO?!) I hope they can at least entertain the people a little. Are there any other tag teams on Smackdown at all?

6. Intercontinental Championship

This was always my favorite title growing up. Guys like Mr. Perfect, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a lot of others made this belt the title to have. It was prestigious enough to be fought over without the hype of being THE champ. Basically the Intercontinental title was for those who were A. getting ready to rise up to the top, or B. ready for a major push to see what they had. There was a time when the IC belt was passed around like a NYC hooker in a corporate meeting (i.e. - The Godfather was IC champ once? Road Dogg? Billy Gunn?!) but it was re-established with Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, and even Goldust in his heyday. Now it's held by an unknown guy who won it from a cannibal who never defended it. Since 2007 began, Umaga defended the belt maybe once or twice, not including when he lost it. Why no one else has held the belt since then is beyond me.

7. Women's Championship

Thank you to Melina, Lita and Trish for giving the Women's division some credibility. Although pudding match, bra and panty matches and tear-clothing-off matches don't help but raise the male libido (mine included), I have to admit there are some great athletes among the Divas. The Women's championship already has more screen time than the Cruiserweight championship. If the ladies take wrestling seriously, they will put on some entertaining matches the way that Trish, Lita, Jazz, Victoria and Mickie James among others did back in the day.

8. Cruiserweight Championship

Poor Chavo. With Gregory Helms out and most of the Cruiserweights injured or out of the company, he may as well bury the title out to sea. Why not have Johnny Nitro back on Smackdown to at least give him competition? Don't get rid of the title; just hire more cruiserweights. There's gotta be some out-of-work luchadors and Japanese wrestlers somewhere. Couldn't Flair lose some weight and go after it?!

In my book the R.O.H championship. It is jugde on talent alone not on who has the best Gimmick or a chairman that pick a champion because he get a loud pop from the females.

NJ Fan 04, you make a good point. I guess i never really thought about it, but WWE is the only surving wrestling organization out of the wrestling explosion that started in the 80's.

AWA
NWA
WCW
ECW

all gone. crazy huh!? So yeah, i would say the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship are the 2 most prestigious.

*i bet it drove TNA crazy all those years they were under the NWA, knowing that WWE had all the stock footage and couldnt use it. On top of the fact that the "Big Gold Belt" aka The World Heavyweight Championship and the NWA World Championship were of the same lineage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back