Where would an Australian wrestler fit in WWE?

911 JP

Love the sig!
Ive been thinking about how a wrestler from Australia would fit in on a wwe roster. Granted hed have to be a talented performer and given a good gimmick it may work. I ask two questions do u think having an Australian wrestler in wwe would work and would it benefit wwe having an Australian wrestler because it would be a fresh change?

The WWE had Nathan Jones under contract in 2003. He was big, he was bad...However it seems that nobody actually asked him if he could wrestle before they signed him! The reason he was signed? Vinnie Mac has always had a hard-on for big guys and Nathan's real life criminal past was such a perfect backstory/angle for him to work, the creative hacks didn't need to be "creative!"

He partnered up with 'Taker in 2003 on Smackdown! feuding against Matt "A-Train" Bloom and the Big Show. Also, Vinnie Mac and his henchmen gave Nathan the old "Ken Shamrock snapping routine" to boot. Which wasn't all that bad, considering Nathan is a legitimate six feet nine inches tall and juiced to the eyeballs.

The flaw in their plan!?

To put it simply, the cable channel (FOX8) that carries WWE programming here in Australia were at loggerheads with WWE in 2003 over a broadcast deal. WWE inexplicably tripled their price for FOX8 to air WWE programming around that time, as the contract was up for renewal.

In all of this, Nathan's hiring was in vain as he was performing on the Smackdown! roster and FOX8 during his short WWE stint wasn't broadcasting Smackdown!
Only Raw could be found on FOX Sports here in Australia. By the time the whole issue was resolved and WWE programming as a whole was shifted to the one channel (FOX8) Nathan Jones had already been released. His short stint lasted all of about 3 months from memory.

In total, Smackdown! wasn't broadcast at all in Australia for many months from August 2002 - April/May 2003 if my recollection is correct.

Yea i remember reading about him and it wasnt all that memorable. However if an aussie wrestler was hired for the right reason, was a credible wrestler and given a good gimmick could he make it and how would it turnout and could it work now?

It would have to be a well known indy guy (like Danielson, Tyler Black, or I heard that TJ Perkins was going to be given a tryout match, also known as Puma). I guess it won't be too bad but it's gunna be kinda the Sheamus shtick

In two words...probably not.

Vince McMahon has proven over the years that a wrestler from a foreign country, whether it's the U.K, Japan, Russia or Italy has to act in a certain stereotype unfortunately.
For example, many English fans could never take to Steven "William" Regal and embrace him as a local hero because his "hard man from the docks of Blackpool" gimmick had nothing in common with his snooty, posh accent and demeanor.

It was a direct clash of upper and lower class that made the character he portrayed totally unrealistic. The reason he wasn't cheered in his homeland had nothing to do with him being Heel most of the time either, as Bret Hart had been Face in Canada/U.K whilst acting completely Heelish in the States throughout 1997.

Taka Michinoku, in 1997 was bright young prospect in the WWF as he was chosen to spearhead the newly-created Light Heavyweight Division which was spawned by Vinnie Mac and others to counteract WCW's red-hot Cruiserweight Division. It failed due to Vince's loathing of all those "small men who do all those silly moves" mentality. Point being, Taka by 2001, on screen was being taught how to drive a car by Bradshaw and also how to drink beer. The reason? we were meant to believe that Taka (despite being 27 years old at the time) had never encountered these activities in his native Japan because that doesn't fit the outdated stereotype.

The point I'm driving at is that if an Australian Wrestler were to be hired by WWE nowadays, I would expect a Crocodile Dundee impersonator (or the Bushwhackers Version 2, even though they were New Zealanders!) with a cork-hat, stubbies shorts, flip-flops and a gimmicked hunting knife! This general character assumption of Australians has been around since the 70's and an over the top goof like that would probably make it onto the childish WWE TV of 2011. Oh...and it would fail.

So what the idea is they would have to be a big guy, a heavyweight? If they were an evan bourne op daniel bryan it wouldnt work?

"Aw, CRIKEY! LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THIS BUGGER!"
In my mind, this example epitomises the unfortunate truth of the gimmick an australian would be given in the WWE, when in fact, the majority of australians tend to be eloquent, intelligent, yet also laid back, and fun loving.

Sure, we come up with some "funny words", at times, but the reality of what we're like would be too different from Vince McMahon's fantasy to be able to be given a fair chance. Not to mention the fans tend to turn against anyone who's not "Pro USA-this, I love america-that."
An australian wrestler would only have to make one reference to "Fries" as "Chips", and it'd be all downhill from there.

Vince McMahon has proven over the years that a wrestler from a foreign country, whether it's the U.K, Japan, Russia or Italy has to act in a certain stereotype unfortunately.
For example, many English fans could never take to Steven "William" Regal and embrace him as a local hero because his "hard man from the docks of Blackpool" gimmick had nothing in common with his snooty, posh accent and demeanor.

It was a direct clash of upper and lower class that made the character he portrayed totally unrealistic. The reason he wasn't cheered in his homeland had nothing to do with him being Heel most of the time either, as Bret Hart had been Face in Canada/U.K whilst acting completely Heelish in the States throughout 1997.

Taka Michinoku, in 1997 was bright young prospect in the WWF as he was chosen to spearhead the newly-created Light Heavyweight Division which was spawned by Vinnie Mac and others to counteract WCW's red-hot Cruiserweight Division. It failed due to Vince's loathing of all those "small men who do all those silly moves" mentality. Point being, Taka by 2001, on screen was being taught how to drive a car by Bradshaw and also how to drink beer. The reason? we were meant to believe that Taka (despite being 27 years old at the time) had never encountered these activities in his native Japan because that doesn't fit the outdated stereotype.

The point I'm driving at is that if an Australian Wrestler were to be hired by WWE nowadays, I would expect a Crocodile Dundee impersonator (or the Bushwhackers Version 2, even though they were New Zealanders!) with a cork-hat, stubbies shorts, flip-flops and a gimmicked hunting knife! This general character assumption of Australians has been around since the 70's and an over the top goof like that would probably make it onto the childish WWE TV of 2011. Oh...and it would fail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How you make the Crocodile Dundee reference, well, the WWF/WWE have actually used that very stereotype.

Around 1986-87, the WWF/WWE had a wrestler on their books known as "Outback Jack". Outback Jack hailed from Humpdedoo, Northern Territory, (or so they said) and he was a "Crocodile-Dundee" rip-off. I think he was based on the movie "Crocodile Dundee", starring Paul Hogan, which was big in the U.S.A.. Anyway, Jack was shown in his viniettes, fighing crocs and walking around the outback. It was a highly-stereotypical charcter of what Americans thought Australia was at the time (as in, they thought it was just one big outback, with kangaroos and crocodiles everywhere).

Needless to say, after the gimmick got tired, Outback Jack became a jobber, good only for seeing the lights, as was soon "future-endeavoured", as creative had "nothing for him".

Does anyone remember Outback Jack?

i dont remember outback jack, but i do remember the retchid skinner. same type of thing, croc hunter type, spitting tobacco juice in peoples face and carrying the bowie knife and using the reverse ddt(gator buster) as his finisher. granted i believe they hailed him from the everglades, same stick and it sucked. and dont even get me started on the bushwackers. the only good thing they did was hold a royal rumble record for shortest time in the rumble.

I wish an Aussie could make it. I've been to a few indy shows in Melbourne, and the quality was really good.

He would, for sure, be given a gimmick of what us Australian's call 'bogans'.

Let me clear something up for any Americans that may be very misinformed.

Most Australians are completely normal. we don't all live in farms and ride kangaroos. Most of us live in big, cosmopolitan cites. I personally live in Melbourne, which has been called the sporting capital of the world and the next New York City.

The classic stereotype of a fat man wearing thongs (flip-flops), drinking fosters outside his caravan is not that of a normal Aussie, but a BOGAN.
A bogan is basically the Australian equivalent of a redneck.

Most of us don't say "G'day, 'scarnon?". We would say "Hi, what''s going on?"

And, most importantly, only a very small percentage of us like vegemite.
IT'S FUCKIN' DISGUSTING!

so basically, as much as I'd love to see an Aussie make it, I can't see it happening. I've never even heard of any Australian wrestlers who made it to a big company except for Outback Jack and Nathan Jones.

Yea true im sure that many australians can relate to americans or the american way of life possibly more than the stereotypical australian.. I no i can. By the way am not a fan of vegimite either, more promite because one day i mite be a pro lol anyway just being billed from australia yet having no australian stereotype gimmick mite be enough to get an australian to make it in wwe

I just fail to see how the Australian-ness of a performer would be utilised in the WWE today. They would either go the route of completely ignoring it and having him perform as the same bland character that is relevent to so many performers today or go over the top and have him wearing a cork donned hat and carrying a boomerang.
BTW arlolangham - Love the sig, he looks so dumb in that picture with his edgy, rough hair and super whitenened teeth. Anything that detracts from his ever bloating gut can;t be a bad thing.

I don't think they would go the Paul Hogan route... WWE is actually getting much better at not stereotyping... Justin Gabriel is a great example, where being from South Africa could have certain stereotypes attached to it... they just push him as a talented guy... but I am sure when they go to Africa they will play on it... Wade Barrett's not stereotyped as a snooty Brit... he is just a tough guy who happens to be English... Drew McIntyre doesn't wear the kilt and sporran...

If the right person is out there, they will use them no doubt... but it's all down to the market... The UK/Europe is the WWE's top foreign market so more wrestlers from that area are coming in... Australia is probably one of their lesser ones, so we will maybe see one if he is right... If they are out there, I am sure they will pop up in Tough Enough...

If an Australian actually pushed to make it to the WWE they could make it. It's not like vince would be saying, no this guy is from Australia, he don't deserve a job. It's hard because, there isn't any WWE scouts in Australia. so to make an impression, an Australian wrestler would have to make huge waves. if there is ever an Australian wrestler actually good enough to make it in the WWE it will happen.

If they are given a sterotype hopefully they can evolve it and make it worth watching. Just because you're stuck with a stupid gimmick don't mean you can't make a decent enough impression to last in the WWE.

I don't think they would go the Paul Hogan route... WWE is actually getting much better at not stereotyping... Justin Gabriel is a great example, where being from South Africa could have certain stereotypes attached to it... they just push him as a talented guy... but I am sure when they go to Africa they will play on it... Wade Barrett's not stereotyped as a snooty Brit... he is just a tough guy who happens to be English... Drew McIntyre doesn't wear the kilt and sporran...

If the right person is out there, they will use them no doubt... but it's all down to the market... The UK/Europe is the WWE's top foreign market so more wrestlers from that area are coming in... Australia is probably one of their lesser ones, so we will maybe see one if he is right... If they are out there, I am sure they will pop up in Tough Enough...

This. When was the last time the WWE stereotyped somebody? The Highlanders? Look at Sheamus. They actually play up his Irish heritage WITHOUT stereotyping him.

If there's an Australian out there that's talented enough and catches the eye of the WWE, they'll sign him. I hope it happens, because I love the accent.

i dont remember outback jack, but i do remember the retchid skinner. same type of thing, croc hunter type, spitting tobacco juice in peoples face and carrying the bowie knife and using the reverse ddt(gator buster) as his finisher. granted i believe they hailed him from the everglades, same stick and it sucked. and dont even get me started on the bushwackers. the only good thing they did was hold a royal rumble record for shortest time in the rumble.

Outback Jack was from Victoria,Australia but was billed from Humpty Doo and The Bushwackers never had the record for the Shortest time in the Rumble as #1 belongs to Santino (Eliminated by Kane I think) and #2 belongs to the Warlord (Eliminated by Hulk Hogan in 1989). The Bushwackers were awesome and Skinner was disgusting.

If i remember correctly i believe i heard last year that a couple of New Zealand wrestlers had been scouted by WWE and that i believe Tony Gaera(SP?) was from New Zealand became WWF Tag Team Champion at one stage. If they were to bring a Maori over and use him a big man along with his maori heritage in his gimmick, i'd say that could work.

To find your answer you might have to stop thinking male and start thinking female. Shimmer's Jessie McKay has been touted as a potential future WWE Diva and I'd love to see them give Kellie Skater, Shimmer champ Madison Eagles and Tenille a shot. They've all been very impressive in Shimmer.

Firstly, I disagree with what you say about Regal. being british, and knowing friends who agree with me, we all cheer Regal no matter what, and if he's in the UK he gets THE pop of the night, face or heel. And his accent, demeanour etc are all fake and put on; he has a 'blackcountry' accent normally which I also have, and its furtehr from being posh than almost anything.

Secondly, I honestly don't think it'd make much of a difference now. Look at Wade Barrett. WWE haven't made much of a big deal of him being british. Hes just a new up-and-coming WWE superstar who happens to not be American. The same with Sheamus. Admittedly, Sheamus makes his own gimmick with his look, but beyond that he is, again, another superstar who hapens to not be American. Again, the same with Justin Gabriel.

I think the WWE are realising that (particularly after Kofi Kingston, who dropped that gimmick a while ago now, and Yoshi Tatsu) gimmicks based on a nationality don't really work much anymore, thus why two of WWE's main eventers are from Europe, and two mid-carders are from parts of Africa originally, and we never really see it as a prominent element in their character.

A good question.

Really though, I have no idea and anyone who suggests that they know any more than that is lying to you. With the recent influx of talent from outside of the US, it might make some sense to bring in an Australian and take advantage of the way the market is going right now. However, you have to be careful not to bring in too many foreign talents and run the risk of losing the everyday fan who sits in Ohio or Chicago or New York. At the end of the day, these are the people who are watching the show every week and bumping the ratings up. Whilst I don't think that Americans are as close minded as that, I do think that some people, no matter where you are in the world, like to see their talent on the top of the pile. Perhaps it would make sense for a foreign talent to be brought in when people like Wade Barrett, Sheamus and Drew McIntyre have settled in.

That being said, the only reason that they have been so successful is because they are good wrestlers. I mean, if Mr. Australian Wrestler comes to the WWE and is the next coming of Austin or The Rock, then his place is on top of the WWE pile, there is no other way around that. Bringing in an Aussie simply for the sake of bringing in an Aussie will help no one. The fans will see through it as a marketing ploy and the wrestler, plus the marketing plan, will fall flat on it's face. If the wrestler has all of the talents to get himself into the company, then why not bring someone in. I always feel as though you only get out what you put in. If the wrestler in question is going to be someone who can sell merchandise and get the fans involved, then he will be rewarded as such.

You mean Wade Barrett isnt an Aussie?? lol *jk*

I think one would fit in anywhere on the roster..no racial terms in WWE...Treat an Aussie just aas you would and Englishman (regal, barrett), from Africa (Gabriel i think?), a chinese (yoshi), a russian (kozlof), an italian (santino), an Irishman (Shameus) or the whole list of Americans...and the list goes on on and on....

Well of course an Aussie could make it, but he would just have to be a very talented individual or have something unique about him.

Unfortunately race isn't nearly as big a deal as it used to be, there was a time people would of absolutely hated Yoshi Tatsu because of his race, today that doesn't really happen, its not like I enjoy watching Kofi because he's from Africa its because of his overall ability in the ring. Another example whould be Sheamus, he has a unique look to him (granted he looks incredibly Irish), but Sheamus also has a unique character and really stands out among the other big guys in the WWE.

All in all an Aussie could make it (even with an Aussie gimmick) but it really comes down to the overall talent of the person and if that person could make the gimmick work, but if it was done well enough I'm sure it would get over.

I reckon under the right circumstances and an Australian wrestler would fit well in the WWE, but they'd have to go into the indy's in America though to be noticed, i personally know a few excellent aussie wrestlers, we have the top idny female wrestler in the world Madison Eagles, i've personally seen most of the top 10 aussie wrestlers in Australia wrestle. Given the right opportunities, these guys can shine well in the WWE in the future with out stereotypical gimmicks.

Vince has changed quite a bit these days and i could see him not fucking up an Aussie wrestler's gimmick and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back